PDA

View Full Version : A minimalist view on what we need at this point from FA

X-Era
03-04-2008, 04:09 PM
So, the more I think about it, the more I think we just might be close to done in FA. I could see a signing of a lesser name here or there but I think we are may only sign one more starter in FA and more likely we are done.

What is the impact of that move? Well, Im not convinced its huge. But, theres many facets to this question. How many more starters do we need? How many players must come from free agency? How many must come from the draft?

How many more starters do we need? I could argue that we only need two more. T feel we need a number two wide receiver and a starting tight end.

We let Peerless go, and neither Josh Reed nor Roscoe Parrish is the answer as the number two wide receiver. Josh Reed had his chance a few years back to be the number two wide receiver and didnt do anything worthy of note. Josh has been a Bill since 2002 when he was drafted in the second round, has had more than ample time to develop and hasnt earned the second wide receiver position. Roscoe Parrish on the other hand, may have big play ability but doesnt have the size that the Bills are currently looking for. Hes a playmaker who is a roll type wide receiver best suited for the slot position. So, we now have a gaping hole at the number two wide receiver position. It is a starting position and is devoid of a player who can fill within. Thats a position that requires a starter.

We have Robert Royal who has made a few plays here and there, but is not considered by any means a solid blocking tight end. Its widely thought that tight ends can be grouped into either blockers or receiving threats. Rarely does one do both well. Robert, was brought in to be a receiving threat and just has not turned out to be much of one for the Bills so far. To make matter worse, the Bills lost a young prospect in Kevin Everrett with a career ending injury to the neck and/or spine. The Bills do have other players such as Tim Massaquoi, Derek Schouman, and the recently aquired Teyo Johnson. Both Schouman and Massaquoi are backup type players who have a huge uphill battle to crack a starting role. Teyo Johnson is a journeyman player who just hasnt caught on anywhere and hence is also has hurdles to overcome to become a starter. The Bills are in need of a receiving threat at the tight end position, as well as a solid number two. Similarly to Keith Ellison who was recently demoted as a starting linebacker to Kawika Mitchell, Robert Royal hasnt met our needs and may be replaced with a new player. Unlike the linebacker situation, the Bills may sometimes use a two tight end set which requires two tight ends with starter ability. I think the path is clear, and that path points to an upgrade at the tight end position.

In my opinion, those two positions are the only positions where we clearly need a new starter. Some may argue that we need a new center, or possibly cornerback. Some may also argue we need even more defensive line additions. However, the cornerback position has a recent player on the rise in Jabari Greer who was able to go head to head against players like Randy Moss and Terrell Owens and fair pretty well. We have no reason to believe that his progress wont continue. On the other side, Terrence McGee has been a starter and at has at least been solid. I think the Bills feel these players are solid enough to continue to start. I think the Bills may feel that if we could land a player who is an upgrade we would always try to do that, but that this is not considered a position where we need an upgrade or a bonafide starter. At center, Melvin Fowler has manned the position since coming here in 2006 and has started in every game. The Bills have been active in the past year signing many players on the offensive line to improve the overall play. Our rookie quarterback, Trent Edwards managed to have a very sack total behind this line even as a pocket type quarterback. It stands to follow that the Bills will feel they are at least solid at the center position. As always, the Bills would consider any player who could significantly upgrade any position. But I think its likely that they are not currently targeting the center position as a positon where we need a starter immediately. On the defensive line, one could argue that you can never have enough quality, rotational, defensive linemen. I agree that is true. However, the Bills have made significant investments in both starting defensive ends, traded up into the first round for one of our starting defensive tackles John McCargo, and just traded for a three time pro-bowl defensive tackle in Marcus Stroud. They have also used Kyle Williams as a starter multiple times and just signed a utility type pass rushing defensive tackle in Spencer Johnson. If they were able to get another star or player with star potential, they made think about making that move. However, the have addressed the position and have a solid starting group.

Now, if we buy into the notion that we only need to add two more starters at this point, a wide receiver and a tight end, who fits the Bill?

Well, in free agency, there hasnt been a clear cut wide receiver who is a sure fire number two. Bryant Johnson, Ernest Wilford, and D.J. Hackett all garner consideration. But none have been a solid, multi-year starter at the number two position to earn the four to six million dollar per year salary that seems to be the likely cost. A player like Javon Walker is more like a feature wide receiver than a nukber two in talent, and comes with the baggage or perceived baggage of being a me-first complainer. That type of player tends to cost a great deal of money to obtain, and does not fit the high character, team player type that the Bills look for. Considering that the draft is fairly deep in wide receivers who have size and decent speed, I think its likely that the Bills will look to that route instead. At the very least they could draft a player with the size they need and do not currently have, and add a prospect to a group which does not have a player with number two potential. It is possible that the Bills go ahead and sign a player like Bryant Johnson, but considering the bloated cost, and suppressed upside, the draft seems a more likely route.

As with the wide receiver position, the tight end position boasts little, if any, bonafide upgrades in free agency. Alge Crumpler, albeit with questionable health, was the only true tight end upgrade. After him, players Like Ben Troupe, and Eric Johnson are more the type of player that hasnt shown that they are solid starters. Each may have had a good year here and there, buyt neither has been a reliable threat. However, the draft again shows depth at the tight end position. Although there are no clear cut high first round prospects such as Vernon Davis, there are several players who could make an early impact as a receiver. Martellus Bennett, Jermichael Finley, and Dustin Keller all fit that role to name a few. One could argue that the draft boasts as much potential as the free agent market at this point. I think the Bills will opt to address the position through the draft. However, they may find a free agent who has not been utilized in a system with a classic pocket quarterback as they would here in Buffalo.

Finally, we must consider the recent history of the Bills when discussing what they may do in this years offseason. The Bills have been lucky enough to draft several starters in each of the past few years. Whether trading up into the late first or early second round, they have managed to net early starters out of their first two picks at least. I think this means that they have convinced themselves that they can fill two starting positions at least with the first few rounds of the draft. Furthermore, that may make it even more unlikely that they go ahead and sign anymore free agents to become day one starters at their need positions.

All in all, I think its likely that we have now reached the end of the major signings in free agency. We may continue to sign aplayer here or there but only as a player with upside, and special team ability at a reduced cost. Furthermore, I look for the Bills to draft a wide receiver, tight end, and possibly a cornerback early in this upcoming draft.

Jan Reimers
03-04-2008, 04:27 PM
I never thought of Troupe or Johnson/Hackett as necessarily the answer to all of our problems at their respective positions. I think we should draft a WR in the 1st or 2nd round and a TE in the third, even if we sign them.

They would be upgrades and potential experienced starters at their positions as the draft picks develop.

Jeff1220
03-04-2008, 04:44 PM
You definitely didn't take a minimalist approach to writing that post.:dizzy:

YardRat
03-04-2008, 05:01 PM
If we don't sign a WR and a TE, we are hand-cuffing ouselves to certain extent going into the draft. Those two positions are the most pressing needs at this points, and even though we could use upgrades at other positions (CB and C, most notably) those positions are at least currently manned by a player at least slightly above serviceable.

Sign Johnson and Troupe (just as examples) and be able to go into the draft and still get a WR, CB, TE with a decent pick that can be groomed for a year or two. Other picks can be used on center, etc for the future, then also.

Having the flexibility to go BPA is the best route.

X-Era
03-04-2008, 05:05 PM
I never thought of Troupe or Johnson/Hackett as necessarily the answer to all of our problems at their respective positions. I think we should draft a WR in the 1st or 2nd round and a TE in the third, even if we sign them.

They would be upgrades and potential experienced starters at their positions as the draft picks develop.

Sure, no arguement. I guess my thought was geared on what we have to get from FA vs. what we could fill from the draft. If we go ahead and sign players and then also draft players its just icing on the cake. Thats really why I said minimalist view.

X-Era
03-04-2008, 05:08 PM
If we don't sign a WR and a TE, we are hand-cuffing ouselves to certain extent going into the draft. Those two positions are the most pressing needs at this points, and even though we could use upgrades at other positions (CB and C, most notably) those positions are at least currently manned by a player at least slightly above serviceable.

Sign Johnson and Troupe (just as examples) and be able to go into the draft and still get a WR, CB, TE with a decent pick that can be groomed for a year or two. Other picks can be used on center, etc for the future, then also.

Having the flexibility to go BPA is the best route.

Absolutely, again my thought was that its a thought process where we list positions as "must upgrades" and that we may feel, based on the past few years, we can get two starters from the draft. I merely draw the conclusion that if we only need two more starters, and we feel we get two starters from the draft, that we may be finished trying to find a starter from FA

YardRat
03-04-2008, 05:13 PM
I would be surprised if we find two starters in this year's draft, unless injuries come into play.

X-Era
03-04-2008, 05:17 PM
I would be surprised if we find two starters in this year's draft, unless injuries come into play.

Youve peaked my interest.

Why do you say that?

I feel Malcolm Kelly, or Limas Sweed at the very least could start day one at #2 WR. I think even James Hardy could do it. Remember, they have to beat out Josh Reed who hasnt managed to earn in 6 years, and Roscoe Parrish who isnt the big WR we claim to want.

I also feel that guys like Bennett, Keller, Finley, maybe a few others pose just as good a receiving threat day one that Royal does.

shelby
03-04-2008, 06:35 PM
http://www.billszone.com/mtlog/archives/2008/03/04/a_minimalist_view_what_the_bills_need_from_free_agency.php
:D

YardRat
03-04-2008, 06:50 PM
Youve peaked my interest.

Why do you say that?

I feel Malcolm Kelly, or Limas Sweed at the very least could start day one at #2 WR. I think even James Hardy could do it. Remember, they have to beat out Josh Reed who hasnt managed to earn in 6 years, and Roscoe Parrish who isnt the big WR we claim to want.

I also feel that guys like Bennett, Keller, Finley, maybe a few others pose just as good a receiving threat day one that Royal does.

If we don't sign Johnson or another WR in FA, and Kelly or Sweed is a top pick they would have the best chance to start from day one. That's one. If we do sign a WR and still draft one (doesn't matter what round), whoever that may be will most likely be a back-up in year one.

I don't see any other positions on the team right now that are such devoid of talent that a second-rounder or below is going to have the opportunity to step right in and start. A rookie TE is not going to supplant Royal and Fowler will again be the center. A first round rookie may be able to start at corner, but then that would mean we got our WR in FA and thus that later WR draft pick won't crack the line-up right away.

If we do sign a wide-out and draft a corner at #11...Maybe he can beat out Greer or McGee. After that, once again I don't see any other positions that will be filled throught the draft.

There is an outside shot that a CB and WR in the first two rounds could crack the line-up, but I don't see it happening. Again...the WR may have a shot, but the corner will be behind McGee and Greer.

X-Era
03-04-2008, 07:14 PM
If we don't sign Johnson or another WR in FA, and Kelly or Sweed is a top pick they would have the best chance to start from day one. That's one. If we do sign a WR and still draft one (doesn't matter what round), whoever that may be will most likely be a back-up in year one.

I don't see any other positions on the team right now that are such devoid of talent that a second-rounder or below is going to have the opportunity to step right in and start. A rookie TE is not going to supplant Royal and Fowler will again be the center. A first round rookie may be able to start at corner, but then that would mean we got our WR in FA and thus that later WR draft pick won't crack the line-up right away.

If we do sign a wide-out and draft a corner at #11...Maybe he can beat out Greer or McGee. After that, once again I don't see any other positions that will be filled throught the draft.

There is an outside shot that a CB and WR in the first two rounds could crack the line-up, but I don't see it happening. Again...the WR may have a shot, but the corner will be behind McGee and Greer.

To recap, Im hearing you say that we could get our #2 WR from either FA or the draft, but only if the WR is from the 1st round. That we cant get a starter at TE from the draft, and unless we draft a CB in the 1st, a CB from the draft cant start either.

If I got that right:

I dont agree at the TE spot, I think a rookie can start day one.

If I follow your train of thought, it sounds like a WR in the 1st gives us the most bang for our buck. Then in the 2nd we could go either TE or CB and have an equal chance of that player starting (which in your mind is minimal).

Im not as locked into certain spots, but your logic makes sense and I wouldnt mind WR in the 1st (assuming no FA WR), and then either a CB or TE. However, I think we should still allow for the BPA factor where a much better prospect at a non-high need position drops to us.

jamze132
03-05-2008, 05:33 AM
If the front office feels that there is any position that is lacking, they need to address it during FA instead of trying to obtain all the help through the draft which handcuffs us to an extent. If we can go into the draft not "needing" a #2 receiver and not "needing" a TE, we will be in a much better position to make our roster better as a whole by having the flexibility to select BPA instead of a purely need pick.

I do not see any reason why we can't sign a big receiver and a TE that could "challenge" for the starter slot before the draft. And if we can still get a top WR and TE in the draft, how does that hurt our roster?

Competition brings out the best in everyone, it's no secret. If we have some high quality draft picks that will not be "thrown to the wolves" like last year, they can take the proper time to develop. Last year we didn't have that ability since we had no proven depth past the starters. With the injuries we had last year, we now have a great deal of depth with more experience than most backups on other teams.

There is no reason why we should stop trying to make the team better by acquiring NFL veterans to challenge the rookies.