• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

Razor Thin OL

ONe thing I definitely hope we address a little bit is the OL.

I'm not sold on Butler as a starter and frankly, I can't stand Fowler. But it appears we'll have to live with that, at least for another year. They should be better with a better offense and coaching.

But what petrifies me is how precious little depth we have on this line right now. Chambers and Preston are definitely not the answer if someone goes down.

I'd like at some point this FA to go and sign a few vets on the cheaper side who could provide much better depth than what we got. We all saw the offense go to **** when Peters went down, and I can't imagine if Preston was forced back into a starting role.

We signed WHittle last year for this reason but he got hurt and amounted to ****. I'd like to find at least 2 guys like him and use a draft pick or two on developing lineman.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Re: Razor Thin OL

I wouldn't mind bringing Whittle back again.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• X-Era
      What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by patmoran2006
      ONe thing I definitely hope we address a little bit is the OL.

I'm not sold on Butler as a starter and frankly, I can't stand Fowler. But it appears we'll have to live with that, at least for another year. They should be better with a better offense and coaching.

But what petrifies me is how precious little depth we have on this line right now. Chambers and Preston are definitely not the answer if someone goes down.

I'd like at some point this FA to go and sign a few vets on the cheaper side who could provide much better depth than what we got. We all saw the offense go to **** when Peters went down, and I can't imagine if Preston was forced back into a starting role.

We signed WHittle last year for this reason but he got hurt and amounted to ****. I'd like to find at least 2 guys like him and use a draft pick or two on developing lineman.
      I agree in principle. However, it seems to me that teams only have 3 or 4 backups on the OL instead of a backup at every OL position. Moreover, they get a single interior OL backup, sometimes 2, and then 1 or two T backups.

Maybe they do this to add depth at other positions on the roster, DB, WR, maybe RB.

If you follow that, I think its likely we only keep 2 or 3 backup OL and that guys like Chambers and Whittle have a great shot to be those guys. That leaves one spot. Theres always the practice squad but then your most likely looking at draftees rather than vets.

Comment

• patmoran2006
        Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
        • Dec 2005

Chambers and Preston suck.. I'd replace both of them with vets and draft 1-2 rookies.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
          Defies all logic
          • Oct 2006

Chad Rinehart, OG, Northern Iowa in the 3rd round.

Comment

• X-Era
            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by patmoran2006
            Chambers and Preston suck.. I'd replace both of them with vets and draft 1-2 rookies.
            I would have ZERO problem with that.

I guess I assumed you meant ADDING, not replacing

Comment

• X-Era
              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by BuffaloFever
              Chad Rinehart, OG, Northern Iowa in the 3rd round.
              Not sure about the 3rd round.

OG's and even OT's are often overhyped. Eric Winston went in the 3rd when many were talking late 1st, G's are even worse. David Baas went in the 2nd when many said hes a mid round 1.

The only OL thats really at a premium and is drafted high regularly are LT's. Even stud RT's tend to be mid round 1 at best.

Comment

• RockStar36
                Dude's Little Ignorant Crony
                • Sep 2004

I'm not worried about the o-line. Address a few needs and depth in the draft and throughout camp but I'm ok with what we have for the most part.

D & S Sports

Comment

• im4bflo
                  the EPITOMY of PATHETIC
                  • Sep 2003

We should be okay, they've got a year under their belt, playing together,
                  the addition of a FB, will help also.
                  They kept our secondstringer Edwards off his butt pretty much.

Comment

• bigbub2352
                    • Feb 2005

i agree we defintly at the very least need to add 3 OLineman one at each spot, especially C, i disagree about Butler alot, he never played G and was able to come in and play next to an awful center in fowler
                    Butler has the size and strength and brains to be solid here especially developin his continuity with Walker
                    C for the future needs to come by the 4th rd especially if we land a compensary pick
                    Sign a vet for the back up G
                    Draft a tackle late and sign a few UDFAs and Chambers types to fill that void
                    Oline is were u r most likey to find gold in the UDFA market (Peters)
                    Main priority is C in my opinion
                    XTRA CRISPY XTRA SAUCEY

Comment

• DBrown77
                      Watching the Bills suck since 1999
                      • Mar 2005

You forgot about Matt Murphy! They are going to play him at tackle this year

Comment

• mysticsoto
                        Too sober for this...
                        • Apr 2004

Originally posted by DBrown77
                        You forgot about Matt Murphy! They are going to play him at tackle this year
                        Yes, he will battle it out with Kirk Chambers this year and they'll likely drop the loser of this battle when dropping down to 53. They must really like Murphy to sign him again despite him being a good 20-30 lbs lower than what they want him to be...

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                          Zero for Zero!
                          • Mar 2003

I agree the Bills need depth on the O-line, but it is difficult to find in the days of FA. If a guy is good enough to be a good back-up, somebody will sign him to be a starter.

And Iwould not mind Whittle back either. Preston can disappear.

Hopefully Gaddis was a find last year.
                          Originally posted by mysticsoto
                          Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• TigerJ
                            • Jul 2002

I agree that Chambers is useless and Preston has been a big disappointment. I do think Buffalo is going to draft a lineman or two. I think one of those will be a center who will likely need a year of seasoning before he's ready to start. As far as signing a veteran free agent, it depends on who's out there and what they will cost. Buffalo is not going to spend big bucks on depth.
                            I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                              • Jul 2003

Jake Scott is still out there.

He isn't real big, but he has a lot of starting experience in one of the best offenses in the NFL this decade. Granted, not a lot of Indy lineman have gone on to do well elsewhere, but considering what this guy has accomplished I'm surprised to not even hear a whisper about another team showing interest in him.

Comment

Working...
                              X