PDA

View Full Version : Razor Thin OL

patmoran2006
03-04-2008, 06:50 PM
ONe thing I definitely hope we address a little bit is the OL.

I'm not sold on Butler as a starter and frankly, I can't stand Fowler. But it appears we'll have to live with that, at least for another year. They should be better with a better offense and coaching.

But what petrifies me is how precious little depth we have on this line right now. Chambers and Preston are definitely not the answer if someone goes down.

I'd like at some point this FA to go and sign a few vets on the cheaper side who could provide much better depth than what we got. We all saw the offense go to **** when Peters went down, and I can't imagine if Preston was forced back into a starting role.

We signed WHittle last year for this reason but he got hurt and amounted to ****. I'd like to find at least 2 guys like him and use a draft pick or two on developing lineman.

YardRat
03-04-2008, 06:52 PM
I wouldn't mind bringing Whittle back again.

X-Era
03-04-2008, 06:55 PM

I'm not sold on Butler as a starter and frankly, I can't stand Fowler. But it appears we'll have to live with that, at least for another year. They should be better with a better offense and coaching.

But what petrifies me is how precious little depth we have on this line right now. Chambers and Preston are definitely not the answer if someone goes down.

I'd like at some point this FA to go and sign a few vets on the cheaper side who could provide much better depth than what we got. We all saw the offense go to **** when Peters went down, and I can't imagine if Preston was forced back into a starting role.

We signed WHittle last year for this reason but he got hurt and amounted to ****. I'd like to find at least 2 guys like him and use a draft pick or two on developing lineman.

I agree in principle. However, it seems to me that teams only have 3 or 4 backups on the OL instead of a backup at every OL position. Moreover, they get a single interior OL backup, sometimes 2, and then 1 or two T backups.

Maybe they do this to add depth at other positions on the roster, DB, WR, maybe RB.

If you follow that, I think its likely we only keep 2 or 3 backup OL and that guys like Chambers and Whittle have a great shot to be those guys. That leaves one spot. Theres always the practice squad but then your most likely looking at draftees rather than vets.

patmoran2006
03-04-2008, 07:14 PM
Chambers and Preston suck.. I'd replace both of them with vets and draft 1-2 rookies.

PECKERWOOD
03-04-2008, 07:15 PM
Chad Rinehart, OG, Northern Iowa in the 3rd round.

X-Era
03-04-2008, 07:16 PM
Chambers and Preston suck.. I'd replace both of them with vets and draft 1-2 rookies.

I would have ZERO problem with that.

I guess I assumed you meant ADDING, not replacing

X-Era
03-04-2008, 07:18 PM
Chad Rinehart, OG, Northern Iowa in the 3rd round.

Not sure about the 3rd round.

OG's and even OT's are often overhyped. Eric Winston went in the 3rd when many were talking late 1st, G's are even worse. David Baas went in the 2nd when many said hes a mid round 1.

The only OL thats really at a premium and is drafted high regularly are LT's. Even stud RT's tend to be mid round 1 at best.

RockStar36
03-04-2008, 07:23 PM
I'm not worried about the o-line. Address a few needs and depth in the draft and throughout camp but I'm ok with what we have for the most part.

im4bflo
03-04-2008, 07:30 PM
We should be okay, they've got a year under their belt, playing together,
the addition of a FB, will help also.
They kept our secondstringer Edwards off his butt pretty much.

bigbub2352
03-04-2008, 07:51 PM
i agree we defintly at the very least need to add 3 OLineman one at each spot, especially C, i disagree about Butler alot, he never played G and was able to come in and play next to an awful center in fowler
Butler has the size and strength and brains to be solid here especially developin his continuity with Walker
C for the future needs to come by the 4th rd especially if we land a compensary pick
Sign a vet for the back up G
Draft a tackle late and sign a few UDFAs and Chambers types to fill that void
Oline is were u r most likey to find gold in the UDFA market (Peters)
Main priority is C in my opinion

DBrown77
03-04-2008, 08:25 PM
You forgot about Matt Murphy! They are going to play him at tackle this year

mysticsoto
03-04-2008, 08:28 PM
You forgot about Matt Murphy! They are going to play him at tackle this year

Yes, he will battle it out with Kirk Chambers this year and they'll likely drop the loser of this battle when dropping down to 53. They must really like Murphy to sign him again despite him being a good 20-30 lbs lower than what they want him to be...

Dr. Lecter
03-04-2008, 08:37 PM
I agree the Bills need depth on the O-line, but it is difficult to find in the days of FA. If a guy is good enough to be a good back-up, somebody will sign him to be a starter.

And Iwould not mind Whittle back either. Preston can disappear.

Hopefully Gaddis was a find last year.

TigerJ
03-04-2008, 08:43 PM
I agree that Chambers is useless and Preston has been a big disappointment. I do think Buffalo is going to draft a lineman or two. I think one of those will be a center who will likely need a year of seasoning before he's ready to start. As far as signing a veteran free agent, it depends on who's out there and what they will cost. Buffalo is not going to spend big bucks on depth.

Ickybaluky
03-04-2008, 09:00 PM
Jake Scott is still out there.

He isn't real big, but he has a lot of starting experience in one of the best offenses in the NFL this decade. Granted, not a lot of Indy lineman have gone on to do well elsewhere, but considering what this guy has accomplished I'm surprised to not even hear a whisper about another team showing interest in him.

Ickybaluky
03-04-2008, 09:14 PM
Maurice Williams of Jacksonville as well is another interesting guy. The Jets had him in for a visit, but with the signing of Damien Woody they probably lost interest.

The guy was a road-grader RT, then the Jags brought in Tony Pashos because he was a better pass protector. Williams ended up as the Jags swing tackle last year, backing up both tackle positions and OG. He started at OG when Chris Naeole was injured and played well there. He can play OG or OT and is a great run blocker.

Come to think of it, the Jags cut Naeole. He is getting older, but when healthy has been one of the best run-blocking OG in the NFL. If his medicals check out, he can help a team.

Mitchell55
03-04-2008, 09:17 PM

Man you scared me for a sec. I thought you were trying to say that they were to skinny when I 1st saw the title.

clumping platelets
03-05-2008, 05:10 AM
I was gonna suggest Chris Naeole..........inexpensive veteran G

Draft a young interior OL and also an OT like Kirk Barton from Ohio St

kernowboy
03-05-2008, 05:43 AM
I think we'll keep the front 5 - Butler did well in his first year starting and unless an exceptional player falls into our laps should get a 2nd season. He played as well as Dockery for a considerably smaller salary.

At Center we'll stick with Fowler as it will help Edwards, but he's in line to be replaced when his contract is up at the end of the season.

The crucial position is LT. There is not a lot in Free Agency and players who can start at LT are few and far between. People will mention Kwame Harris and Marvin Williams but the guy I would look at is:

Mike Pearson, LT, Toronto Argonauts. Aged 27, 6ft7, 290lbs.Drafted at 40 in the 2004 draft he started 31games for the Jaguars, before a knee injury - the Jags drafted Barnes who he initially beat out, but then went with Barnes for their OL scheme. Had a look at Miami, who preferred Shelton (bigger and heavier) and Houston where the similar thing happened. He is a pure LT, but arguably we could cover Walker with Brad Butler. The LT role is much more difficult.

We have Patrick Estes who is 6ft7 and 310lbs, a TE who converted to the OL immediately out of college and better than this silly idea to try to convert a 6year veteran.

In the draft I could see us drafting versatile guys. All the Centers this year are small, the biggest being Fernando Velasco of Georgia and Drew Miller of Florida, both of who have starting experience at Guard. I would also be happy to see us draft the Buckeye, Kirk Barton who is a leader and could be a serviceable G or RT.

Depth of Pearson, Estes, Miller or Velasco and Barton is not so bad. Better than Preston and Chambers.

PECKERWOOD
03-05-2008, 01:41 PM
Not sure about the 3rd round.

OG's and even OT's are often overhyped. Eric Winston went in the 3rd when many were talking late 1st, G's are even worse. David Baas went in the 2nd when many said hes a mid round 1.

The only OL thats really at a premium and is drafted high regularly are LT's. Even stud RT's tend to be mid round 1 at best.

OL are not overhyped.. If Jake Long falls to Kansas City at 5, don't you think they will be licking their chops? Don't count out Ryan Clady squeezing into the top 10, similar to Levi Brown last year. Brandon Albert has a shot at going in the first half of the draft as well.. Realistically I see Jake Long, Clady, Albert all gone somewhere in the top 15. I wouldn't mind Schuening or Baker with our 2nd round pick, Gosder Cherilus (The dude who protected Matt Ryan's blind side.. ) and Heath Benedict are both great options as well.

feldspar
03-05-2008, 03:00 PM
There's nothing to worry about...

Matt Murphy is the man on the OL. He'll be "Dukeing" it out with Kirk Chambers.