PDA

View Full Version : Opinion: My realistic September roster full of speculation

kernowboy
03-05-2008, 04:12 AM
This is how I’d like to see the opening day roster, with speculated signings and draft pics - obviously all my own preferences.

Could this roster - assuming we have some but fewer injuries than last year, take us deep into the playoffs?

I know it is early but it is always interesting to speculate. I have put rational behind my decisions.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
I have included the remaining Free Agency signings I would like to see, plus the draft picks including the speculated compensatory picks marked with a *<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
QB Edwards, Harrington, BPA (R7*)<o:p></o:p>
WR Evans, Reed, Parrish (KR/PR)<o:p></o:p>
WR B Johnson, Adarius Bowman (R3), Keith Brown (R7)<o:p></o:p>
TE Royal, Troupe, John Carlson (R4)<o:p></o:p>
LT Peters, Pearson<o:p></o:p>
LG Dockery<o:p></o:p>
C Fowler, Miller (R6)<o:p></o:p>
RG <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Butler</st1:place></st1:City>, Barton (R5)<o:p></o:p>
RT Walker, Estes<o:p></o:p>
RB Lynch, Jackson, Wright<o:p></o:p>
FB Kreider, Schouman<o:p></o:p>
K Liandell<o:p></o:p>
RE Schobel, Jeremy Thompson (R4*), Andrew Studebaker (R7)<o:p></o:p>
DT McCargo, S Johnson<o:p></o:p>
DT Stroud, Dre Moore (R2)<o:p></o:p>
LE Kelsay, Denney<o:p></o:p>
SLB Crowell, Lehman<o:p></o:p>
MLB Posluzny, DiGiorgio<o:p></o:p>
WLB Mitchell, Ellison<o:p></o:p>
RCB Dominique Rogers-Cromartie (R1), Youboty, Zemaitis <o:p></o:p>
LCB McGee, Greer<o:p></o:p>
FS Simpson, Wendling<o:p></o:p>
SS Whitner, Scott <o:p></o:p>
LS <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Warren</st1:place></st1:City> <o:p></o:p>
P Moorman<o:p></o:p>
QB: Assuming the trade of Losman, we need a QB who can step up. Harrington has been a bust but has had an unfair rap. Phil Simms and Dan Marino have said he can be a good QB if given the tools and an OL which won’t get him killed, whilst the situations he has faced in <st1:City w:st="on">Detroit</st1:City>, <st1:City w:st="on">Miami</st1:City> and <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Atlanta</st1:place></st1:City> have been a joke. He’s young enough to push Edwards and step in if necessary under the right circumstances. Draft a 3<SUP>rd</SUP> stringer<o:p></o:p>
WR: Sign Bryant Johnson, draft Bowman and also Keith Brown, both of whom have height and can bring some physicality to our receiving corps<o:p></o:p>
TE: Signing Ben Troupe and drafting John Carlson, who now looks like he might be available in Round 4 will be a revolution here.<o:p></o:p>
OL: We need proper depth at LT, so I’d sign former Jags started Mike Pearson who will be cheap, is a true LT, and is only 27. I’d pick up Drew Miller who can play C/G in the draft as he’s intelligent and one of the bigger players here, plus Kirk Barton who brings leadership. Unfortunately most of the Centers in the draft are small.<o:p></o:p>
RB: Is set but bring in veteran Dan Kreider to smash holes for Lynch and have Schouman learn under him<o:p></o:p>
DE: Using our supplementary pick I would draft Jeremy Thompson, who really stepped up in his senior year, plus Andrew Studebaker who is a very small school bet, who could be interesting. Before you flame remember Jared Allen was the 126<SUP>th</SUP> pick in 2004.<o:p></o:p>
DT: Having grabbed Johnson and Stroud, I’d make one final move. With the injury history of our starters, I’d draft Dre Moore and look to trade or cut Kyle Williams. <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Moore</st1:place></st1:City> brings more size, more speed and more athleticism and could also play LE in emergency. Starting with Williams if Stroud got injured is not an option<o:p></o:p>
LB: Mitchell is in place, but I’d like to bring in Teddy Lehman on a 1year deal. With the injury history of Crowell and Posluzny, we could be starting our backups with no-one left. Lehman has started and played very well before injury, can cover SLB and is a STeamer. If he really steps up and we decide not to resign injury prone Angelo to big money, at least this position won’t be desperate.<o:p></o:p>
DB: Draft DRC in R1. I’d also bring in Alan Zemaitis. Cut by the Bucs at the last moment having suffered injuries in his rookie season, the former 4<SUP>th</SUP> rounder has the size (6ft2) and the intelligence to be decent depth in the Cover2. At Safety, I want to see Wendling moved to his college position of FS to push Ko and bring size (6ft1, 219lbs), and have Bryan Scott resigned as decent depth and size behind Whitner <o:p></o:p>
ST: Sign a proper LS. Greg Warren is a RFA, the Steelers already have another LS under contract. No more bad snaps for Moorman please<o:p></o:p>
Flame away

YardRat
03-05-2008, 04:46 AM
I think Wilson keeps a safety spot.

jamze132
03-05-2008, 05:15 AM
You certainly did put a lot of thought into that post which I respect. But I have to be honest, I get tired of seeing "anticipated rosters" and "speculated rosters". There are thousands of variables that will effect who we will have on our team at the start of the season not to mention the fact that it is impossible to say who will be available in RD7. I just don't get it...

But like I said, I respect the fact that you put alot of work into this...

IMO...

Captain gameboy
03-05-2008, 05:28 AM
.....But I have to be honest, I get tired of seeing "anticipated rosters" and "speculated rosters".
IMO...

I&#180;m no physician, but the cure for this is obvious.

Anyway, I like k&#180;boy&#180;s list list/speculation.

In fact, I think its the best post of the week.

I especially like the Harrington thought. I like having someone battle tested in case something happens to Edwards, or he just doesn&#180;t work out as we hope.

I thnk we can pick up a late camp cut from another team for Oline depth, as well as getting a good one in the draft.

One other minor thought.
I am curious why Moorman fell off a cliff last year. Not bad, but nowhere near what he was in years prior. Almost seemed like he was hurt.

Meathead
03-05-2008, 05:45 AM
im tired of people who say theyre tired of hearing speculation in sports

WTF ELSE IS THERE TO DO

if you want to think about football from one to four pm sixteen sundays a year then have at it

for the rest of us guess away

Captain gameboy
03-05-2008, 05:53 AM

WTF ELSE IS THERE TO DO

if you want to think about football from one to four pm sixteen sundays a year then have at it

Especially for us.

As Bills fans, during the last many years the offseason is the best season.

The trouble starts when the whitle blows.

This year will be different.

We will speculate ourselves into the playoffs.
I g´tee it!

kernowboy
03-05-2008, 05:58 AM
I think Moorman suffered by having Neill rather than Schneck as his LS

Hence my call to sign Greg Warren as a true LS

jamze132
03-06-2008, 01:48 AM

WTF ELSE IS THERE TO DO

I am on here paying attention the the Bills everyday until I get yelled at fom my wife. Sorry if I want more excitement and better insight to make the scolding worth my while...

mikemac2001
03-06-2008, 01:53 AM

WTF ELSE IS THERE TO DO

dont be a *****...how u like that speculation *******

kernowboy
03-06-2008, 05:07 AM
I'd consider some changes though

Instead of Mike Pearson, we could make a run at Maurice Williams of Jacksonville who can be a true swing tackle

As my 3rd QB, I'd actually go for Kyle Wright. Reading his resume he didn't have a hot time at Miami due to a fool of a Head Coach, a different OC every year, and a comparative lack of talent compared to previous years.

He did however win back his starting spot at QB, has the physical tools, and stayed behind at the Senior Bowl to work hard with the lower string WRs so has the work ethic and intelligence (more likely to get noticed by putting in more effort)

It would leave us with 3 QBs, who are almost identical in size and style - pocket passers with some mobility - which I think helps the OL

That Guy
03-06-2008, 04:30 PM
Couple comments. First off, it's the offseason. We're supposed to speculate. It's fun. If you don't like speculation... don't read threads with 'speculation' in the title.

Second, I don't like quarterbacks who weren't even successful in college (Kyle Wright). I really like Josh Johnson in the middle rounds... I know that he was a I-AA guy... but he had 43 TDs-1 INT, he had to have done something right. Plus that speed is intriguing.

I agree that Wilson will make the team in his second full year in the position.

I would feel completely uncomfortable with Harrington as the backup. He's not an NFL quarterback. I don't understand how David Carr is already like out of the league but Harrington still gets looks. There was an article written a while back (while he was still with Detroit in his third season or so) that said that his center (maybe Raiola?) used to make his quarterback calls for him because he was that bad at reading defenses. Plus, it's been semi-documented that his teammates haven't really liked him wherever he's gone.

I like the signings on the line and Zemaitis (went to nearby Spencerport HS... kind of an injury risk though).

I definitely like the draft you gave us, except that I prefer Talib to DRC. I think DRC is getting significantly more attention as a result of his name.

mikemac2001
03-06-2008, 04:32 PM
dont be a *****...how u like that speculation *******

Was hammered didnt even know i posted this

DrGraves
03-06-2008, 04:53 PM
Assuming Edwards doesn't come out and play horrible for some reason I think 10 or 11 wins should certainly be within the grasp and a goal for this team to reach

justasportsfan
03-06-2008, 05:26 PM
MY specualtion is that Harrington won't be a bill. DJ would be an idiot if he did that.

JP will be traded during camp when other teams qbs start getting injured. Thats if Trent doesn't get injured first.

John Doe
03-06-2008, 05:34 PM
A few comments - no offense intended, just my opinion:<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
When did Joey Harrington get an “unfair rap?” He has been given plenty of opportunities. I think his rap is well deserved. I think that we will see Gibran Hamdan on the final roster plus an old vet. Last year, the team kept Hamdan over Nall - a guy that has been in the league for some time and who was with the team in training camp. No reason to bring in 2 new QBs when 1 will do. <o:p></o:p>
I think that we will certainly draft a receiver – but 2 is questionable if we sing B. Johnson. There is going to be room at that position for a special teams guy. I don’t see a rookie outplaying Justin Jenkins in that respect and I think he will be back.<o:p></o:p>
I can’t see adding 2 rookies at defensive end. Spencer Johnson will get some action there as well as defensive tackle and Ryan Denny will be back as well. <o:p></o:p>
I don’t think that there is a pressing need to cut Williams even if we draft another defensive tackle. Williams is only entering his third year, is cheap, and should have some upside yet.<o:p></o:p>