PDA

View Full Version : I Hate To Say This, But...

LifetimeBillsFan
03-05-2008, 12:33 PM
God knows that I would love to see the Pats' come crashing down to Earth (or actually somewhere else of a more fiery nature!), but--and I really, really hate to say this!--with Randy Moss giving them a hometown discount to re-up for the next 3 years and some of the moves that tehy have been quietly making this offseason, it's a little pre-mature to start hailing their demise as some have been tempted to do around here over the last couple of days.

Here's why I say this:

Everyone is looking at who the Pats were potentially going to lose at WR and in their secondary in free agency, but with Randy Moss and now Jabbar Gaffney re-signing with the Pats, here is their WR as of this moment:

Randy Moss--and we all know what he can do

Wes Welker--probably the biggest pain-in-the-butt and best slot receiver in the NFL right now

Jabbar Gaffney--with Brady, a solid # 4 WR

Chad Jackson--former 1st Round pick entering his 3rd season and ready to come into his own as a replacement for D.Stallworth

Kelly Washington--young vet capable of stepping in case Jackson falters and good on STs

Sam Aiken--excellent on STs, can take over Washington's spot on STs if Jackson falters and Washington starts.

Even if they don't draft a single WR this year, that's still a pretty good WR corps for Brady to throw to.

Now, let's look at their DB corps:

Merriweather was being groomed to start for two seasons steps into the starting lineup for A. Samuel. Merriweather is more of a safety than CB, but the Pats, with Harrison and Sanders, don't need to use him at safety right now.

Ellis Hobbs was already starting at one CB position ahead of former starter Randall Gay and will be the # 1 CB

Jason Webster steps in as depth in the spot formerly held by Gay and can start, if necessary, while a rookie that they take in the draft develops over the course of the season

James Sanders was already being groomed to replace Eugen Wilson and is ready to step into the starting job full-time.

Rodney Harrison is "long-in-the-tooth" and his back-up Willie Andrews may have some legal problems to deal with that could result in a suspension (or not), but as long as they have Harrison in the strting lineup, the Pats are solid at his position.

While the Pats will need to bring in a CB and, perhaps a safety, in the draft to develop as eventual starters, even if they don't bring in any more DBs in free agency or the draft, they still have a solid group of starters. With Harrison coming to the end of his career, they will have to find his eventual replacement if they intend to keep Merriweather at CB, or they will have to draft a CB to develop this season who can step into the starting lineup if they move Merriweather to safety to replace Harrison. A better quality # 3 CB than Webster would probably also help, although they still have the luxury of bringing a rookie along slowly with Webster.

While it is true that their LBs are aging and slowing down--and that is a position that the Pats will also have to address, with their offensive and defensive lines still relatively young and intact as units and Brady at QB, the Pats are still going to be able to put an explosive offense and a pretty good defense on the field.

With their devastating (for them) loss to the Giants in the Super Bowl after coming so close to perfection, further ramifications for their HC and, perhaps, the organization from Spygate, and advancing age hanging over their heads, it would be foolish not to expect the Pats to come into this coming season extremely motivated to grab the Super Bowl trophy that they, undoubtedly, feel should have been theirs last season at the end of this year. (Think of how motivated the Bills were after losing SB XXV to the Giants.)

To expect anything less of the Pats would be to underestimate them. And, the biggest mistake that you can make is to underestimate your opponent.

So, as much as I want to see them fall from the national pedestal that they have been on for most of this decade--and as much as I hate to say it--the Pats are still going ot be a force to be reckoned with this season that the Bills are going to have to find a way to overcome if they want to return to their former glory and have a shot at winning that elusive Super Bowl title.

justasportsfan
03-05-2008, 12:35 PM
we haven't beaten them yet.

venis2k1
03-05-2008, 12:38 PM
The pats are coming off a 18-1 season, i dont think anyone is calling them a doormat.

eyedog
03-05-2008, 12:41 PM
Let's see, they have:

1. qb
2. strong o-line
3. strong d-line

Three checks. As long as they have those three intact they will be the team to beat in the AFCE.

ddaryl
03-05-2008, 12:41 PM
We'll have brady laying on his back so often this year the Pat's won't stand a chance...

Akhippo
03-05-2008, 01:08 PM
Hopefully the three teams in their division that have been handing them a free pass to "look" good regarding their record can step up. If we stop letting them sweep the division for 6 easy wins we might have a chance to bring them back to reality.
They also have been pretty injury free lately and one injury to Brady and they are hammered. So we will see how it plays out this year. I dont see any team in the afc getting worse. Heck, the Browns and Jaguars might be better next year along with the division.

Bill Brasky
03-05-2008, 01:10 PM
i still think they easily win the division.

EDS
03-05-2008, 02:18 PM
Only an idiot would write the Patriots off at this point. They are still the team to beat in the AFC.

mikemac2001
03-05-2008, 02:19 PM
The pats are coming off a 18-1 season, i dont think anyone is calling them a doormat.

hahaha 18-1

Devin
03-05-2008, 02:21 PM
As long as Brady is a patriot, much less Randy moss they will be superbowl contenders.

They still have tons of talent and will no doubt have a solid draft.

DynaPaul
03-05-2008, 07:00 PM
I know I'm not writing them off. I heard they have a new sideline camera that you can hide in your hat.

feldspar
03-05-2008, 08:29 PM
Their secondary from last year is pretty much gone:

Asante Samuel, Randall Gay, and Eugene Wilson are toast in New England.

Donte Stallworth is gone.

They will still be the team to beat, but they are only worse than they were last year...so far.

There is still the draft, and they have a higher #1 pick than we do.

YardRat
03-05-2008, 08:43 PM
They are due for some bad breaks.

Karma is a funny thing.

BillsOwnAll
03-05-2008, 10:16 PM
hahaha 18-1
haha laughing at that never gets old.

BillsFever21
03-06-2008, 02:29 AM
How many times do the Patriots have to prove some people wrong? Some people here just hate them so much they can't objectively look at them.

How many times have the Patriots lost players and not miss a beat? It has happened over and over again. They lost some players but they are still easily winning the division and making the playoffs. They won't have another undefeated regular season but they will still be an 11+ win team.

They have been able to replace players year after year. It was only last year that they actually went out and added to the team. After doing so they proceeded to go 18-1. Yeah it's funny and great that they choked in the SB but it doesn't make them a bad team because they lost one game.

The people saying they will not be good anymore are the same ones who were saying that Randy Moss was washed up and laughing at them for trading for such a cancer. You know who you are even though you probably wouldn't admit it now. We all know how that turned out.

kernowboy
03-06-2008, 05:29 AM
I think they are simply a CB and a couple of LBs away.

Their OL got abused by the Giants, but they will have learnt from that - there won't be much in the way of personel changes apart from O'Callaghan maybe taking over from Kaczur, who may slide inside providing more mobility than Neal to handle penetrating DTs.

Stallworth gets replaced by Jackson.

They've brought in Tank Williams who could be the long-range replacement for Harrison, have Sanders at FS who could be challenged by Meriweather who could alternatively play corner, have Hobbs, and probably a R1 pick here.

At LB, I can see them drafting the likes of Lofton, Mayo, Goff or Wheeler for the ILB positions.

They'll still be right up there in the mix though the SuperBowl will have significantly dented their own perceived aura of invincibility.

jamze132
03-06-2008, 07:32 AM
I think anyone who thinks the Pats are on the verge of crumbling is a complete idiot who knows absolutely nothng about football.

As long as Brady is healthy, the Pats could run out inner city high school dropouts and they would catch the ball enough to pick up the "W".

gr8slayer
03-06-2008, 08:03 AM
As long as they have Belichick and Brady they have a chance.

Michael82
03-06-2008, 08:37 AM
Why do you have to bring us back to reality and ruin it for us? :mad: :(

Oh well...there is still this..........

:lolpoint: 18-1 New England Patriots