PDA

View Full Version : Could Atlanta Be A Landing Spot For JP?

LifetimeBillsFan
03-05-2008, 01:16 PM
With the Atlanta Falcons reported by ESPN News to have released Joey Harrington, could JP Losman be a landing spot for JP Losman?

While this news makes it very likely that Atlanta will draft Matt Ryan with the # 3 pick in the draft. Arthur Blank, Atlanta's owner has made it clear that he does not want his team to start a rookie QB immediately. With only one year remaining on his contract, a move to Atlanta would give Losman a chance to start and brush up his resume while the Falcons groom Ryan for a year.

If Losman works out well and Ryan falters, the Falcons would be in the same situation as the Browns with D.Anderson and B.Quinn--not a bad place for a team to be in--should they choose to retain Losman.

Or, if Losman does well and Atlanta still wants to promote Ryan, he could leave as a free agent and get a pretty good deal.

On the other hand, if JP flops in Atlanta, he would be out there on the free agent market knowing that he no longer figures to be a starting QB in the NFL and will have to accept that his future will be as a back-up QB.

In the meantime, the Bills will move forward with whatever draft pick they can get from the Falcons for Losman (and because they draft so high in each round, a 4th rounder from them would not be much worse than a 3rd rounder from one of the league's better teams--although I'd like to see them get a 3rd rounder for JP, if at all possible).

Well, it's a thought at least.... One that could work out well for all involved.

justasportsfan
03-05-2008, 01:27 PM
the Falcons would be in the same situation as the Browns with D.Anderson and B.Quinn--

or the bills at the moment.

kernowboy
03-05-2008, 01:30 PM
I wouldn't say No to bringing in Harrington as Edwards back up

He's been moved because of the legacy of his high cap numbers but both Phil Simms and Dan Marino, have said Harrington's had a bum deal in Detroit, Miami and Atlanta, with either a lack of weapons or a porous OL or both.

He's a pocket passer like Edwards and Trent will only benefit by being pushed. If Trent can't handle it, then we need to look again at the position.

I'd be happy with a 4th from Atlanta.

Don't Panic
03-05-2008, 01:33 PM
Good thought... they could go with both, or they could look to get JP via trade and maybe a QB in the later rounds. That #3 pick is pretty valuable and I have a hard time believing a team wouldn't be interested in getting a QB with a 3rd (or a 4th) and then drafting another in the later rounds. That way they can draft one of the best defenders at the draft, who would likely be much more of a 'can't miss' prospect that Ryan.

In the end all that matters is that they are a definite potential destination for JP... the question is do they value him enough to trade for him.

LifetimeBillsFan
03-05-2008, 01:35 PM
I think there are still a couple of better alternatives to Harrington out there who I would prefer to see the Bills bring in if they trade Losman, but, for the sake of the team, I do think that they probably should deal Losman now if they can get a decent pick for him.

VeggieMan14
03-05-2008, 01:47 PM
GO GET HIM OUTTA HERE ANDALE ANDALE:mex: . lol but seriously i think atlanta is the best possible choice because i think they are in the most demand. bring harringtonin tohewould be a great back up for old eddy

don137
03-05-2008, 01:54 PM
Atlanta would be a great fit for JP but I still think JP is worth a third rounder. If they go after Ryan it would make sense because it would be critical for JPs future to play well in his contract year so he could land with another team and give Ryan a year to learn and adjust to the NFL...

The Jokeman
03-05-2008, 02:46 PM
Atlanta would be a great fit for JP but I still think JP is worth a third rounder. If they go after Ryan it would make sense because it would be critical for JPs future to play well in his contract year so he could land with another team and give Ryan a year to learn and adjust to the NFL...
Atlanta's best QB last year was Chris Redman who's still on their roster. I can't see them making a big effort to get JP unless Mularkey really wants to bring him there. Which not sure he would as he didn't stick with him here in Buffalo too much.

Mr. Miyagi
03-05-2008, 03:46 PM
JP for a 3rd. No lower.

bigbub2352
03-05-2008, 03:50 PM
Trade him get him outta here, nothign but a problem if we dont, get what u can for him and lets move on, he can reunite with his buddy MM

yordad
03-05-2008, 03:52 PM
Honestly, I really don't want to see him go there.

JPFBillsFan
03-05-2008, 04:04 PM
I don't understand people on this board

JP sux, this and that but all of a sudden he's worth a 3rder?
We traded a Pro Bowl Running back to Balt for a couple of 3rd picks....
what makes you think a team will give us a 3rd rd pick for a QB we don't
even want.....this is the David Carr situation w/Hou from a year ago....
He'll either come back and get a semi chance to win the job or be cut....
this is of course if our demands change to a 2nd day pick....

U guys are unreal

EDS
03-05-2008, 04:14 PM
With the Atlanta Falcons reported by ESPN News to have released Joey Harrington, could JP Losman be a landing spot for JP Losman?

While this news makes it very likely that Atlanta will draft Matt Ryan with the # 3 pick in the draft. Arthur Blank, Atlanta's owner has made it clear that he does not want his team to start a rookie QB immediately. With only one year remaining on his contract, a move to Atlanta would give Losman a chance to start and brush up his resume while the Falcons groom Ryan for a year.

If Losman works out well and Ryan falters, the Falcons would be in the same situation as the Browns with D.Anderson and B.Quinn--not a bad place for a team to be in--should they choose to retain Losman.

Or, if Losman does well and Atlanta still wants to promote Ryan, he could leave as a free agent and get a pretty good deal.

On the other hand, if JP flops in Atlanta, he would be out there on the free agent market knowing that he no longer figures to be a starting QB in the NFL and will have to accept that his future will be as a back-up QB.

In the meantime, the Bills will move forward with whatever draft pick they can get from the Falcons for Losman (and because they draft so high in each round, a 4th rounder from them would not be much worse than a 3rd rounder from one of the league's better teams--although I'd like to see them get a 3rd rounder for JP, if at all possible).

Well, it's a thought at least.... One that could work out well for all involved.

I think there is a big difference between drafting a QB with the third pick letting him sit on the bench versus a guy picked in the second half of the first round sitting on the bench. The difference is the amount of money the teams have invested in the respective players.

Quinn is a nice affordable insurance policy for Anderson, whereas Ryan, if he were the third pick, would have a contract that preclude him from being an "affordable insurance policy."

I think Atlanta fully intends to let Redman be the caddy for Ryan if they draft him. They tried two retreads last year and it didn't work out so I doubt they would want to do another reclaimation project this year.

The Bills best chance to unload Losman is to Green Bay.

Meathead
03-05-2008, 04:49 PM
wow all these posts and not a single person has mentioned that edwards is still an unproven risk. amazing

first off edwards is a dart thrower which is great for accuracy on short routes but bad for longer throws and in windy conditions. that was so clearly and painfully obvious late last season you are truly living in a dream world if you arent concerned about that. hes simply got to make adjustments to improve in that area

look i like the guy but right now theres a big question mark whether he can succeed long term. i think its no coincidence that his numbers fell significantly after opposing teams got some film on him. he started hot and ended cold. and if you say throw out the bad weather games youre crazy cuz bad weather games r buffalo in cruch time

regarding jp, he has his problems and its yet to be determined if he can become more reliable going forward but hes also had a lot going against him his entire time playing. regardless, he is already established as a viable if inconsistent option as a starting qb. that certainly has value and i dont want the bills to throw that away

id like to see him stick here as insurance and would love to see him take advantage of an injury/suckitude situation should god forbid edwards suffer either. id rather hold onto him for this season, and see what happens then to move him for a low round pick or release him

bottom line: you cant gamble your whole season on edwards alone. i sure hope he becomes da man but right now thats also a coin flip and with those odds you simply gotta have a veteran guy in the wings

i personally hope that guy is jp but if they can move him for something good then do it. but they are just gonna have to turn around and get somebody else in here and based on the list of available guys jp is better than every one of them. then if edwards goes down or struggles all these great fa/trade moves could go down the ***king toilet in a hurry if your backup cant take advantage

thats simply too risky and only an idiot would leave the team in that perilous situation. jp stays put until they are sure they have a reasonable alternative lined up

yordad
03-05-2008, 05:09 PM
I don't understand people on this board

JP sux, this and that but all of a sudden he's worth a 3rder?
We traded a Pro Bowl Running back to Balt for a couple of 3rd picks....
what makes you think a team will give us a 3rd rd pick for a QB we don't
even want.....this is the David Carr situation w/Hou from a year ago....
He'll either come back and get a semi chance to win the job or be cut....
this is of course if our demands change to a 2nd day pick....

U guys are unrealWell, clearly your logic is flawed. The simple fact you think MaGahee was a pro bowler in '06 illustrates that.

wow all these posts and not a single person has mentioned that edwards is still an unproven risk. amazing

Well, I woulda, but I've stated that 52 times. I can't type it in every JP thread. Or can I?

DrGraves
03-05-2008, 06:12 PM
Until we get a backup QB we can't really be trying to dump JP just yet.

YardRat
03-05-2008, 06:20 PM
Until we get a backup QB we can't really be trying to dump JP just yet.

Sure we can. We didn't have any problem going into last season with only JP and a third round rookie on the roster. What's the difference?

trapezeus
03-05-2008, 06:24 PM

first off edwards is a dart thrower which is great for accuracy on short routes but bad for longer throws and in windy conditions. that was so clearly and painfully obvious late last season you are truly living in a dream world if you arent concerned about that. hes simply got to make adjustments to improve in that area

look i like the guy but right now theres a big question mark whether he can succeed long term. i think its no coincidence that his numbers fell significantly after opposing teams got some film on him. he started hot and ended cold. and if you say throw out the bad weather games youre crazy cuz bad weather games r buffalo in cruch time

regarding jp, he has his problems and its yet to be determined if he can become more reliable going forward but hes also had a lot going against him his entire time playing. regardless, he is already established as a viable if inconsistent option as a starting qb. that certainly has value and i dont want the bills to throw that away

id like to see him stick here as insurance and would love to see him take advantage of an injury/suckitude situation should god forbid edwards suffer either. id rather hold onto him for this season, and see what happens then to move him for a low round pick or release him

bottom line: you cant gamble your whole season on edwards alone. i sure hope he becomes da man but right now thats also a coin flip and with those odds you simply gotta have a veteran guy in the wings

i personally hope that guy is jp but if they can move him for something good then do it. but they are just gonna have to turn around and get somebody else in here and based on the list of available guys jp is better than every one of them. then if edwards goes down or struggles all these great fa/trade moves could go down the ***king toilet in a hurry if your backup cant take advantage

thats simply too risky and only an idiot would leave the team in that perilous situation. jp stays put until they are sure they have a reasonable alternative lined up

i think that's why buffalo is trying to get a bunch of quality receivers. a QB with accruacy but not the long ball will pick apart teams if he has quality receivers. JP just needed one guy to out run the rest. i think they are trying to get edwards a bbunch of targets that make it hard to double any one receiver and let him work the field on the short to middle game. and then you put in lynch with a decent oline which played all of last year together...i think they are putting edwards in a better postion to succeed this year than last. and that's a good thing.

DrGraves
03-05-2008, 06:29 PM
Sure we can. We didn't have any problem going into last season with only JP and a third round rookie on the roster. What's the difference?

Well I hope we'd bring in someone with a little experince to play backup. I'd feel so naked without any insurance policy.

The Answer
03-06-2008, 11:38 AM

Why would Atlanta want Loserman? They just got rid of Harrington who was an exact clone (and a much better version).

~The Answer

VeggieMan14
03-06-2008, 11:50 AM
Why would Atlanta want Loserman? They just got rid of Harrington who was an exact clone (and a much better version).

~The Answer harrington and losman are both better then Kelly Holcomb