PDA

View Full Version : Hey NE39 what are your thoughts on...

Devin
03-05-2008, 02:22 PM
Brandon Meriweather?

What do you think he does this year?

I drafted him in one of my sim leagues last year and just curious with all the movement in the pats secondary where he might fit?

Jaybird
03-05-2008, 02:24 PM
i think he takes over for Wilson at FS

Ickybaluky
03-05-2008, 02:59 PM
Brandon Meriweather?

What do you think he does this year?

I drafted him in one of my sim leagues last year and just curious with all the movement in the pats secondary where he might fit?

Early in the season I was wondering about him, because he looked pretty lost. However, he started coming on late in the year. He played great on ST, and was the 3rd S after Harrison and Sanders for the last quarter of the season and the playoffs. Against teams with real good TE's the Pats would drop Harrison down into a LB-like role and bring in Meriweather at S. Against teams that played multiple WR he was the dime back.

There is some talk of moving him to CB, but I don't think it happens full time He did a lot of that in preseason last year, and he didn't look real comfortable. Of course, I'm sure his head was spinning as a rookie anyway, and he was being asked to learn multiple positions.

I expect his role to be 3rd S, along with CB play in extra-DB situations. Sanders has established himself as a leader in the secondary, and I don't see him coming off the field much. Rodney isn't getting any younger, so he may take some playing time from him to keep him fresh. He could send Rodney to the bench at some point next season and get more play at S, especially on passing downs.

Looking at the depth chart, there is playing time to be had at CB, even though I think he is more natural at S. He seemed to be around the ball a lot for the time he was on the field. His athleticism is apparent, and that is something the Pats need a lot more of in the back-end of their defense.

He did look unsure of himself at times and seemed to hesitate, not playing on instinct. I would hope he reacts a little quicker as he gets more playing time and becomes more sure of himself.

He also has to improve his hands. A lot. He could have had 3-5 easy interceptions if he had any hands at all. His hands aren't soft and natural at all, they are like stone. The good news is he anticipates well and gets in position, the bad news is the ball then bounces off him.

You can see the potential, but the jury is still out. I expect he will be a little bigger and stronger next year with an offseason of conditioning. He anticipates well and is in position, but he has to get over the hesitation he had (although he improved in that area even with limited playing time last season). He holds promise and will be in a position to make some plays, but he has to hold onto the ball when he gets a chance.

i think he takes over for Wilson at FS

Wilson lost his starting job and was the 7th/8th DB late in the year. He was a healthy scratch for several games, including the Jacksonville playoff game. Harrison and Sanders are the starters.

Devin
03-05-2008, 03:16 PM
Awesome man thank you. So essentially at least as of now hes still a reserve/backup. I was hoping hed move into a starting role at some point.

Ickybaluky
03-05-2008, 03:19 PM
Awesome man thank you. So essentially at least as of now hes still a reserve/backup. I was hoping hed move into a starting role at some point.

He may, but I think for now he is definitely behind Harrison and Sanders at S.

At CB, he probably would be a starter by default now, but I'd like to think their final depth chart won't look the same when they start playing games. Based on what I've seen, he is more of a S than a CB, even though he does have versatility.

I think he plays more next year than he did this year, but I don't think he starts.

Ickybaluky
03-05-2008, 03:33 PM
The Pats just signed Tank (Clevan) Williams to a 1-Yr contract, so maybe they think he can fill the 3rd S role and move Meriweather to CB. If they think Meriweather can play CB he has a chance to start, because they have a huge, gaping hole there (if you hadn't heard).

Here is the link on the Williams signing. (http://blogs.twincities.com/Vikings/2008/03/tank_to_patriots.html)

DraftBoy
03-05-2008, 03:55 PM
If Williams cane come back to form thats a scary signing for the AFC East

Devin
03-05-2008, 04:26 PM
So a 3rd safety or a nickel CB.

Eh if he gets on the field more its all good.

Ickybaluky
03-05-2008, 07:32 PM
If Williams cane come back to form thats a scary signing for the AFC East

I guess, but he has had 2 major surgeries on his left knee. He stayed healthy last year so it will be his 2nd year back from ACL surgery, but it really sounds like a flier. I guess he replaces Eugene Wilson.

They are bringing in Adam Seward as well, who played 3-4 ILB at UNLV and has been a backup LB/ST ace for Carolina the last few seasons. He is a RFA that carries a 5th rounder for compensation. I'd love if they sign him because he has the size to play inside in the 3-4. I don't know if he will ever be good enough to start, but at the least he should be big ST performer and short-yardage guy. They need bodies at ILB and he has size and athleticism they don't have at ILB.

We'll see if they make an offer for him.