PDA

View Full Version : Update: Johnson Value Falling?

Devin
03-05-2008, 06:35 PM
<HR style="COLOR: #d1d1e1" SIZE=1> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->Cardinals UFA WR Bryant Johnson: Clearly, this is the name that has been speculated about most. Johnson visited the Bills on Monday, where in an interview with the team claimed to have a visit scheduled with the Washington Redskins. The Redskins have since denied having a scheduled visit from Johnson. We have not heard anything for about 48 hours, other than ESPN's John Clayton reporting that the two sides were still negotiating as of this morning.

The problem with getting Johnson (who wants to be a Bill) on board is the contract. Given the fact that "proven commodities" such as Bernard Berrian and Javon Walker and "unproven commodities" such as Ernest Wilford have signed contracts light-years apart in terms of dollar amounts, it's likely that the Bills and the Johnson camp are looking for a middle ground. It could very well be that the two sides are working on an incentive-laden deal and are attempting to hammer out the finer details of a contract. It could also be that the Bills are merely keeping in touch, waiting for Johnson's market value to dip the longer he's available. Regardless, at this point - given how little interest Johnson has received, coupled with some other strategic signings - I'd be shocked if Johnson hasn't signed with the Bills before the weekend.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/ (http://www.buffalorumblings.com/)

Nighthawk
03-05-2008, 06:39 PM
http://www.buffalorumblings.com/ (http://www.buffalorumblings.com/)

Waiting can go either way. They've already screwed themselves by waiting and letting another WR (Walker) sign, which drove the market up. I don't want to see them overpay, but they should have learned something from the Sabres...waiting doesn't work!

Yasgur's Farm
03-05-2008, 06:41 PM
Give BJ his $4M per year and draft Harding in round 2.

TigerJ
03-05-2008, 06:42 PM
Do you know that the Bills actually had any interest in Walker given the shape of his knee? Maybe they waited because they weren't interested.

Philagape
03-05-2008, 06:50 PM
"middle ground"?? There is no reason Johnson should expect more than what Wilford got.

Nighthawk
03-05-2008, 06:59 PM
Do you know that the Bills actually had any interest in Walker given the shape of his knee? Maybe they waited because they weren't interested.

You misunderstood. I didn't say they were interested in Walker, I said that Walker's contract signing drove up the market for Johnson.

YardRat
03-05-2008, 07:45 PM
Give him a fair contract offer and get him signed...If he wants to much, let him go elsewhere.

I really think this signing is necessary, but I'm not willing to overpay for him.

PECKERWOOD
03-05-2008, 07:53 PM
"middle ground"?? There is no reason Johnson should expect more than what Wilford got.

Johnson is a much better WR than Wilford, imo.

Tatonka
03-05-2008, 07:58 PM
Johnson is a much better WR than Wilford, imo.

based on what.. lol

not his production.

the guy is an average wr who is tall. that is it.

DraftBoy
03-05-2008, 08:04 PM
based on what.. lol

not his production.

Based on his production he does deserve more money than Wilford, again he has better stats and averages more catches, and yards per year. Does he deserve a ton more? No, but he does deserve more.

Mad Bomber
03-05-2008, 08:06 PM
based on what.. lol

not his production.

Exactly. No way we should pay him big bucks. We could get an equivalent receiver in the draft for fewer bucks.

Tatonka
03-05-2008, 08:08 PM
Based on his production he does deserve more money than Wilford, again he has better stats and averages more catches, and yards per year. Does he deserve a ton more? No, but he does deserve more.

um.. johnson was a starter for half the year.. and a 3rd wr the rest.. i would hope he has better numbers.. although the numbers still are still average regardless.

wilford vs. johnson is like compairing a turd to a piece of crap.

DraftBoy
03-05-2008, 08:10 PM
um.. johnson was a starter for half the year.. and a 3rd wr the rest.. i would hope he has better numbers.. although the numbers still are still average regardless.

wilford vs. johnson is like compairing a turd to a piece of crap.

What do the numbers say T? Whose got the better stats over their entire careers not just last year. You can ignore them all you like but they dont change. If we were both FA's and you had better numbers then I did, you'd be damn sure to ask for more money, you'd be stupid not to.

DraftBoy
03-05-2008, 08:13 PM
Just to note: Wilford started 14 games this year and had worst stats then Johnson, but Wilford deserves the same kind of money?

LtFinFan66
03-05-2008, 08:14 PM
Based on his production he does deserve more money than Wilford, again he has better stats and averages more catches, and yards per year. Does he deserve a ton more? No, but he does deserve more.Really:scratch: Seems pretty even IMO

Johnson: 210 catches 2,675 yards 12.7 avg 9 TD's

Wilford: 141 catches 1,994 yards 14.1 avg 14 TD's

5 years for Johnson.....4 for Wilford

Tatonka
03-05-2008, 08:15 PM
hackett has by far the best numbers as a starter.

7 starts. 4 tds and 4 100 yard games.. 500 yards.

johnson, 39 starts. 9 tds. no 100 yard games..

end of discussion.

im not going to discuss wilford because i dont care about him and he is a fish.. so it doesnt matter.. but it looks like a fish fan just helped you with your confusion on that too..lol

Philagape
03-05-2008, 08:17 PM

They both typically get around 40-something catches, 500-something yards, and Wilford has more TDs and more YPC. Last year their stats were almost identical; Johnson had one more catch and 10 more yards, and Wilford had one more TD. If they had switched places they probably would still be the same.

Tatonka
03-05-2008, 08:19 PM
They both typically get around 40-something catches, 500-something yards, and Wilford has more TDs and more YPC. Last year their stats were almost identical; Johnson had one more catch and 10 more yards, and Wilford had one more TD. If they had switched places they probably would still be the same.

wilford did have some other really great receivers to take the pressure off of him too.. matt jones and reggie williams are way better than fitz and boldin.

:up:

LtFinFan66
03-05-2008, 08:21 PM
Just to note: Wilford started 14 games this year and had worst stats then Johnson, but Wilford deserves the same kind of money?Wilford in 2007: 45 catches 518 yards 11.5 average 3 TD's
Johnson in 2007 : 46 catches 528 yards 11.5 average 2 TD's

WOW!!

mikemac2001
03-05-2008, 08:24 PM
wilford did have some other really great receivers to take the pressure off of him too.. matt jones and reggie williams are way better than fitz and boldin.

:up:

Yes thats very true ;) but tatonka what helps a passing game the most

A SOLID RUNNING GAME and we know jax had that by a mile on ari

raphael120
03-05-2008, 08:37 PM
I hope this gets done.

I just don't see Johnson being in town for 3 days straight and not getting something accomplished. I would think the Bills wouldn't waste a players time for that long.

More and more I think about it I think Johnson is not only important for offensive success down the road, but he can come in and play immediately and I'm way more confident in drafting a WR in later rounds and utilizing that player in the slot. So we wont have to focus on just a tall guy but a better Josh Reed.

It will take at least a year for a first round pick WR to realize full potential in our offense, considering Im still not sold on Turk.

bigbub2352
03-05-2008, 09:39 PM
I hope this gets done.

I just don't see Johnson being in town for 3 days straight and not getting something accomplished. I would think the Bills wouldn't waste a players time for that long.

More and more I think about it I think Johnson is not only important for offensive success down the road, but he can come in and play immediately and I'm way more confident in drafting a WR in later rounds and utilizing that player in the slot. So we wont have to focus on just a tall guy but a better Josh Reed.

It will take at least a year for a first round pick WR to realize full potential in our offense, considering Im still not sold on Turk.
Great Post,
Thing is guyz our offense was HORRIBLE, and by adding players from other teams especially at WR u always have the never no facter
Also Cards QB play has been ****, and also no running game, we have that now and hopefully have a new gunslinger in TE fact of the matter is we need upgrades, and Johnson is an upgrade over REED and Price, and that is what we need to add, is Jabar Gafney awesome no but he keeps gettin signed by teams cause he is better than there current crop of WRs, just sayin i dont expect BJ to be the next Moulds but if he could be the next Redzone threat and 1st down maker that is exactly what we need

Tatonka
03-05-2008, 11:33 PM
didnt fitzgerald get 1400 yards in his rookie season?

VeggieMan14
03-05-2008, 11:36 PM
didnt fitzgerald get 1400 yards in his rookie season? yes he did and in 07

mikemac2001
03-05-2008, 11:38 PM
fitz is a beast...that guy is cut like a mofo and im not homo about it

he wasnt tall but he just looked like you couldnt move him

mikemac2001
03-05-2008, 11:39 PM
and chad johnson was a ***** compared to him

Meathead
03-06-2008, 08:14 AM
the contract is held up because

everybody together now

ralph is cheap

Dr. Lecter
03-06-2008, 08:19 AM
Waiting can go either way. They've already screwed themselves by waiting and letting another WR (Walker) sign, which drove the market up. I don't want to see them overpay, but they should have learned something from the Sabres...waiting doesn't work!

I don't think the Bills FO can be accused of waiting considering what they did in the first 48 hours of FA.

Since we don't know what Johnson asked for or if he even wanted to trade proposals after his visit, this is still speculation.

Jan Reimers
03-06-2008, 11:32 AM
I hope we sign Johnson. I also hope we realize that we need to take another WR on Day 1 of the draft.

Michael82
03-06-2008, 11:34 AM
I hope we sign Johnson. I also hope we realize that we need to take another WR on Day 1 of the draft.
Good post. :hi5:

Captain gameboy
03-06-2008, 12:39 PM
I just drove home from Washington. During that drive, I was listening to Washington sports radio who had their GM on.

He stated, without any equivocation, that Johnson was not going to visit them.

Not tomorrow and not any day.

For what its worth.

Interpretation of his subtlety was that they were not interested.

He is either asking too much or they don't like him that much.

DraftBoy
03-06-2008, 01:25 PM

By Day 1 do you mean Rounds 1 or 2 which is the new Day 1 or do you mean in Rounds 1-3 which is the old Day 1?

The Jokeman
03-06-2008, 01:48 PM
By Day 1 do you mean Rounds 1 or 2 which is the new Day 1 or do you mean in Rounds 1-3 which is the old Day 1?
I'm assuming he meant Rounds 1-3 as to me that will always be Day 1.

DraftBoy
03-06-2008, 01:49 PM
I'm assuming he meant Rounds 1-3 as to me that will always be Day 1.

That's what I assume to but Im trying to remind people that Day 1 now is only Rd 1-2.

Jan Reimers
03-06-2008, 01:49 PM
Round 1 or 2. I'd like a CB and a WR (in either order) on the new Day 1.

DraftBoy
03-06-2008, 01:51 PM
Round 1 or 2. I'd like a CB and a WR (in either order) on the new Day 1.

Ok just checking

bflojohn
03-06-2008, 02:56 PM
The Redskins are probably aching to make their "splash", and Bryant Johnson isn't quite what they have in mind! That, to me, does NOT indicate that Washington thinks he is a pile of manure, it simply means that he isn't page 1 Washington Post worthy!! Besides, they have made more than their fair share of mistakes in Free agency throughout the years, and maybe that qualifies Johnson as a "homerun", in that regard!

PECKERWOOD
03-06-2008, 08:06 PM
Yes thats very true ;) but tatonka what helps a passing game the most

A SOLID RUNNING GAME and we know jax had that by a mile on ari

MJD/Fred Taylor anyone?

colin
03-06-2008, 10:36 PM
we really haven't spent much wrt cash to cap.

i think we are making AT LEAST 2 big wr moves.

could be a guy like johnson and extending lee, going after roy will, fitz, or even chad johnson.

could be hacket.

i'm not sure, but to answer tatonka i think most nfl guys would rate johnson (bryant) over wilford. i like wilford and wanted him, but johnson has more skills and rarer talent.