PDA

View Full Version : If the Bills are serious about winning they need to move up in the draft.

HHURRICANE
03-05-2008, 06:36 PM
Unless you want another Whitner it's time to move up and buy some pass rush.

tampabay25690
03-05-2008, 06:40 PM
So you dont think the BILLS want to win????

Why do the bills need to move up.....So we throw the rest of the draft just to get a player earlier the #11.

I think WHITNER is a pretty good player....

HHURRICANE
03-05-2008, 06:42 PM
I think Kelly will have little impact as a rookie.

Jaybird
03-05-2008, 06:55 PM
i think kelly should not be the pick, DRC!!!! or if by any chance a top guy falls to us, take him

DrGraves
03-05-2008, 07:01 PM
I hope DRC is as awesome as everyone says, because my grandmother could cover recievers in tenessee state's league.

And personally I think moving up and getting a beast would benefit us more. we wouldn't throw away the rest of the draft. Its not like lower picks make immediate impacts anyways. If we want to win now, then move up and get someone who will make an immediate impact.

tampabay25690
03-05-2008, 07:22 PM
I think Kelly will have little impact as a rookie.

so the bills are drafting Kelly???

Who knows what they will do...

Mitchell55
03-05-2008, 07:23 PM

I think all of us agree that, we wouldnt mind another whitner.

The Spaz
03-05-2008, 07:25 PM
Now were back to not serious about winning. :shakeno:

camelcowboy
03-05-2008, 07:30 PM
I think all of us agree that, we wouldnt mind another whitner.not me, I myself feel a 8th overall pick should be a difference maker. Not just slightly above average.

YardRat
03-05-2008, 07:53 PM
I'd take another Whitner-type pick with #11 this year. Can't ***** about a guy that has the ability to come in and start from Day #1.

Actually, IMO, that's the best case scenario this year as I really don't feel anybody they bring in here from the draft will be in the starting line-up on opening day unless we go without a WR in FA and take one with our first or second rounder.

DRC (or any corner for that matter) will not beat out McGee or Greer until at least mid-season, if then.

Mad Bomber
03-05-2008, 08:03 PM
Kelly or DRC at 11 would be sufficient for the first round. No need to move up and pay bigger bucks.

PECKERWOOD
03-05-2008, 08:05 PM
Sweed > Kelly

Tatonka
03-05-2008, 08:06 PM
sign hackett and troupe and i dont give a **** who we draft.

Typ0
03-05-2008, 08:08 PM
move down not up.

DraftBoy
03-05-2008, 08:08 PM
I hope DRC is as awesome as everyone says, because my grandmother could cover recievers in tenessee state's league.

And personally I think moving up and getting a beast would benefit us more. we wouldn't throw away the rest of the draft. Its not like lower picks make immediate impacts anyways. If we want to win now, then move up and get someone who will make an immediate impact.

Could your grandma shut down the top Senior WR's in the nation at the senior bowl too?

Al the Bills Fan
03-05-2008, 08:18 PM
not me, I myself feel a 8th overall pick should be a difference maker. Not just slightly above average.

You cannot expect any DB to a difference maker when he is on a team that does not put pressure on the opposing QB. Whitner also played up in the box to help in run support quite a bit last season. I think we are going to see a great year out of Whitner now that we have upgraded the middle of our D-Line.

DrGraves
03-05-2008, 09:24 PM
Could your grandma shut down the top Senior WR's in the nation at the senior bowl too?

senior bowl is like an allstar game, don't take it too seriously. and yes she can.

justasportsfan
03-05-2008, 09:34 PM
IF our season depends on a rookie winning games for us, we're already in deep crap to begin with . So why bother even drafting anyone? Might as well pack it up. Stupid Marv. We should've never made him GM. What's TD doing these days? Maybe we can bring him back. Mularkey as HC and GW as DC and Fairchild as OC. Let's trade for Willis . Nice reunion, we'd rock. We'd be serious about winning then.

OpIv37
03-05-2008, 09:37 PM
Moving up is stupid. Top 10 draft picks are just as big gambles as every other position but they cost a hell of a lot more. I hate being in the 11-15 spot drafting cuz it means a mediocre season, but in reality it's a pretty good place to be draft-wise. the majority of the top talent is still there, and most of those elite prospects who go in the top 10 don't wind up being so elite on the field (see Whitner).

ptd86
03-05-2008, 09:39 PM
Since when is being a very solid starter for your first two years make you not want someone at 8... im pretty sure i would take that instead of the hundreds of busts in the top 10.... mike williams, troy williamson, leaf, list goes on and on, i would obviously prefer whitner to be a top 5 safety, but im not dissapointed with him and he could still become a top 5 since hes so young

justasportsfan
03-05-2008, 09:46 PM
the majority of the top talent is still there, and most of those elite prospects who go in the top 10 don't wind up being so elite on the field (see Whitner). Not yet at least.

ParanoidAndroid
03-05-2008, 09:47 PM
There isn't a single player in this draft worth giving up 2 or more picks in an up-move.

ptd86
03-05-2008, 09:51 PM
There isn't a single player in this draft worth giving up 2 or more picks in an up-move.

i think gholston might be, i think hes gonna be a beast

Dr. Lecter
03-05-2008, 09:53 PM
Why move up, lose our 2nd or 3rd round pick, and lose the chance to get the TE, WR, Center, or CB we need?

We need more top 3 round picks, not fewer.

And, BTW, the Bills already worked on improving the pass rush. Mitchell and Stroud should be help tremendously. They are smaller gambles than a rookie.

OpIv37
03-05-2008, 09:55 PM
Not yet at least.

fair enough- not yet. But that's my point exactly- if we trade up, we'll have to give up a pick or someone on our roster for a player who may not be elite and even if he is may take 2-3 years to become elite. That's a steep price for someone who can't help immediately. And if we're building for long term, we're better off keeping the extra pick and the extra cap space.

Philagape
03-05-2008, 10:19 PM
HH, you started another thread that bemoaned the number of FAs we signed, and you want to go into the draft with fewer picks?

justasportsfan
03-05-2008, 10:44 PM
fair enough- not yet. But that's my point exactly- if we trade up, we'll have to give up a pick or someone on our roster for a player who may not be elite and even if he is may take 2-3 years to become elite. That's a steep price for someone who can't help immediately. And if we're building for long term, we're better off keeping the extra pick and the extra cap space.
this is why it's hilarious to think our season depends on a bunch of rookies .

DrGraves
03-05-2008, 11:57 PM
whitner is solid. leave him alone.

mikemac2001
03-05-2008, 11:58 PM
whitner is solid. leave him alone.

you only have 78 post you cant have any football knowledge

;) no but really your right the guy has been playing with not the most talent and has been stuck helping on run defense...i think this year will give us a good clue of what we have

jamze132
03-06-2008, 02:01 AM
There is no reason for us to move up farther then where we already are. At #11m we should be able to find a starter who can jump in immediately. I think Malcom Kelly meets that criteria along with just about everyone else who will be drafted before him.

DrGraves
03-06-2008, 02:30 AM
you only have 78 post you cant have any football knowledge

;) no but really your right the guy has been playing with not the most talent and has been stuck helping on run defense...i think this year will give us a good clue of what we have

Hey I sit and suffer through every agonizing bills game year after year just like you guys... :respect:

DraftBoy
03-06-2008, 07:39 AM
senior bowl is like an allstar game, don't take it too seriously. and yes she can.

That's the most ridiculous thing Ive heard, the Senior Bowl is not the same as an all-star game. These kids know that this game means millions of dollars to them, do you seriously think they are just out there goofing around not giving a flip? Did you watch the Senior Bowl by any chance? Neither team wanted to lose in the end, and it was a good game. Your characterization of the game is not at all accurate.

What's your grandma's 40 time?

Typ0
03-06-2008, 10:08 AM
I'll never understand this philosophy of paying some kid boat loads of cash before he's done anything. You have to build through the draft. Draft more players lower and let those top ten guys have someone elses money...half of them are no good anyway. Keep that money and put it towards higher priced free agents that have, at least, proven they can play at the professional level.

Mahdi
03-06-2008, 10:14 AM
Gholston and Long are definitely worth moving up for... Long could play anywhere along our DL and is just a pure athlete. Gholston would be a beast coming off the edge in our scheme and would most likely be a huge upgrade over Kelsay and maybe even over Schobel.

Michael82
03-06-2008, 10:17 AM
I'd rather trade down and get DRC or one of the top receivers.

colin
03-06-2008, 10:18 AM
i'd love golston, but paying too much to move up to draft him wouldn't be wise.

if we can move up for the right price then fine, but with our picks this year we can get very good corners, wrs, tes, and interior blockers.

upgrade those 4 or 5 positions and see how much better we are late in the year and next season.

justasportsfan
03-06-2008, 10:18 AM
Gholston and Long are definitely worth moving up for... Long could play anywhere along our DL and is just a pure athlete. Gholston would be a beast coming off the edge in our scheme and would most likely be a huge upgrade over Kelsay and maybe even over Schobel.
Are they better than MArrio?

venis2k1
03-06-2008, 10:40 AM
I'd rather trade down and get DRC or one of the top receivers.

Here is my feelings on dominique rodgers cromartie. Athletic ability and potential are through the roof. This kid has all the intangibles you could ever want. Fast, athletic, tall, amazing change of direction(He is a track star). And from all the interviews ive read, he comes off as a very respectful and likable kid. Before I start knocking him, I should say i havent seen him play with the exception of the senior bowl, and he played great there. I dont get to catch a whole lot of 1-AA Tennessee State games on TV, I doubt many of us do.

There are 2 knocks on him at this point, first he is said to be weak against the run. This is understandable, at 6'2 he only weighs in at 178 lbs, Im not sure how good of an open feild tackler he is, but i can see him having trouble taking down the bigger backs in the nfl. Thats not a huge deal i think you sign DTs and LBs to stop the run. The second knock on him is somewhat more serious. He has only played 1 season of football in his life before going to college. Because of this the only offer he got was from Tennessee State, a 1-AA team that is hardly considered a power house. While he played well there, one has to worry about the level of competition he faced on a weekly basis. But moreso the level of technique coaching he received. DRC is still very raw by most accounts. An athletic playmaking CB with all the tools to dominate, but still very raw.(kinda reminds me of Youboty).

I think DRC could be a probowl level shut down corner at the next level, but hardly a lock to supplant McGee on opening day. I just remember this place going crazy last year at the thought of Digi beating out Poz to be the opening day starter. Could you imagine if your 11th overall pick this year didnt see more than Nickle and ST duties his rookie year? Like I said, I'm no expert, but i know we need an imediate starter to come from that 11 spot.

Mahdi
03-06-2008, 10:49 AM

1Orlando Pace T Ohio State St. Louis Rams
2 Darrell Russell DE USC Oakland Raiders
3 Shawn Springs CB Ohio State Seattle Seahawks
4 Peter Boulware OLB Florida State Baltimore Ravens
5 Bryant Westbrook CB Texas Detroit Lions
6 Walter Jones T Florida State Seattle Seahawks
7 Ike Hilliard WR Florida New York Giants
8 James Farrior OLB Virginia New York Jets
9 Tom Knight CB Iowa Arizona Cardinals
10 Chris Naeole G Colorado New Orleans Saints

Success rate:6/10

1 Peyton Manning QB Tennessee Indianapolis Colts
2 Ryan Leaf QB Washington State San Diego Chargers
3 Andre Wadsworth DE Florida State Arizona Cardinals
4 Charles Woodson CB Michigan Oakland Raiders
5 Curtis Enis RB Penn State Chicago Bears
6 Grant Wistrom DE Nebraska St. Louis Rams
7 Kyle Turley G San Diego State New Orleans Saints
8 Greg Ellis DE North Carolina Dallas Cowboys
9 Fred Taylor RB Florida Jacksonville Jaguars
10 Duane Starks CB Miami (Fla.) Baltimore Ravens

Success rate: 6/10

1 Tim Couch QB Kentucky Cleveland Browns
2 Donovan McNabb QB Syracuse Philadelphia Eagles
3 Akili Smith QB Oregon Cincinnati Bengals
4 Edgerrin James RB Miami (Fla.) Indianapolis Colts
5 Ricky Williams HB Texas New Orleans Saints
6 Torry Holt WR North Carolina State St. Louis Rams
7 Champ Bailey CB Georgia Washington Redskins
8 David Boston WR Ohio State Arizona Cardinals
9 Chris Claiborne OLB USC Detroit Lions
10 Chris McAlister CB Arizona Baltimore Ravens

Success Rate: 6/10

1 Courtney Brown DE Penn State Cleveland Browns
2 LaVar Arrington OLB Penn State Washington Redskins
3 Chris Samuels T Alabama Washington Redskins
4 Peter Warrick WR Florida State Cincinnati Bengals
5 Jamal Lewis RB Tennessee Baltimore Ravens
6 Corey Simon DT Florida State Philadelphia Eagles
7 Thomas Jones RB Virginia Arizona Cardinals
8 Plaxico Burress WR Michigan State Pittsburgh Steelers
9 Brian Urlacher MLB New Mexico Chicago Bears
10 Travis Taylor WR Florida Baltimore Ravens

Success Rate: 7/10

1 Michael Vick QB Virginia Tech Atlanta Falcons
2 Leonard Davis G Texas Arizona Cardinals
3 Gerard Warren DT Florida Cleveland Browns
4 Justin Smith DE Missouri Cincinnati Bengals
5 LaDainian Tomlinson RB Texas Christian San Diego Chargers
6 Richard Seymour DT Georgia New England Patriots
7 Andre Carter DE California San Francisco 49ers
8 David Terrell WR Michigan Chicago Bears
9 Koren Robinson WR North Carolina State Seattle Seahawks
10 Jamal Reynolds DE Florida State Green Bay Packers

1 David Carr QB Fresno State Houston Texans
2 Julius Peppers DE North Carolina Carolina Panthers
3 Joey Harrington QB Oregon Detroit Lions
4 Mike Williams T Texas Buffalo Bills
5 Quentin Jammer DB Texas San Diego Chargers
6 Ryan Sims DT North Carolina Kansas City Chiefs
7 Bryant McKinnie T Miami (Fla.) Minnesota Vikings
8 Roy Williams FS Oklahoma Dallas Cowboys
9 John Henderson DT Tennessee Jacksonville Jaguars
10 Levi Jones T Arizona State Cincinnati Bengals

1 Carson Palmer QB USC Cincinnati Bengals
2 Charles Rogers WR Michigan State Detroit Lions
3 Andre Johnson WR Miami (Fla.) Houston Texans
4 Dewayne Robertson DT Kentucky New York Jets
5 Terence Newman CB Kansas State Dallas Cowboys
6 Johnathan Sullivan DT Georgia New Orleans Saints
7 Byron Leftwich QB Marshall Jacksonville Jaguars
8 Jordan Gross T Utah Carolina Panthers
9 Kevin Williams DE Oklahoma State Minnesota Vikings
10 Terrell Suggs OLB Arizona State Baltimore Ravens

Success Rate: 7/10

1 Eli Manning QB Mississippi San Diego Chargers
2 Robert Gallery T Iowa Oakland Raiders
3 Larry Fitzgerald WR Pittsburgh Arizona Cardinals
4 Philip Rivers QB North Carolina State New York Giants
5 Sean Taylor FS Miami (Fla.) Washington Redskins
6 Kellen Winslow TE Miami (Fla.) Cleveland Browns
7 Roy Williams WR Texas Detroit Lions
8 DeAngelo Hall CB Virginia Tech Atlanta Falcons
9 Reggie Williams WR Washington Jacksonville Jaguars
10 Dunta Robinson CB South Carolina Houston Texans

Success Rate 8/10

1 Alex Smith QB Utah San Francisco 49ers
2 Ronnie Brown RB Auburn Miami Dolphins
3 Braylon Edwards WR Michigan Cleveland Browns
4 Cedric Benson RB Texas Chicago Bears
5 Cadillac Williams RB Auburn Tampa Bay Buccaneers
6 Pacman Jones CB West Virginia Tennessee Titans 7
7Troy Williamson WR South Carolina Minnesota Vikings
8 Antrel Rolle DB Miami (Fla.) Arizona Cardinals
9 Carlos Rogers DB Auburn Washington Redskins
10 Mike Williams WR USC Detroit Lions

1 Mario Williams DE North Carolina State Houston Texans
2 Reggie Bush RB USC New Orleans Saints
3 Vince Young QB Texas Tennessee Titans
4 D'Brickashaw Ferguson T Virginia New York Jets
5 A.J. Hawk OLB Ohio State Green Bay Packers
6 Vernon Davis TE Maryland San Francisco 49ers
7 Michael Huff SS Texas Oakland Raiders
8 Donte Whitner SS Ohio State Buffalo Bills
9 Ernie Sims OLB Florida State Detroit Lions
10 Matt Leinart QB USC Arizona Cardinals

Success Rate: 8/10

Based on the last 10 years of drafting in the top 10 more often than not yer going to get a quality player or high performer.

Personally im ok with staying at 11 and taking Harvey but if the Bills only have to give up a 2nd rounder for instance to pick up Chris Long or Gholston im all for it.

kernowboy
03-06-2008, 10:51 AM
I think what should be mentioned about Dominique Rogers-Cromartie:

Whilst he wasn't called upon to provide run support, he has the necessary aggressiveness to become useful in this area with appropriate coaching.

Whilst he did play at a D1AA college and only had a year of football before college, the last CB to so completely dominate at this level as much as DRC has was .... Aeneas Williams (Southern).

I'd be happy with that.

Michael82
03-06-2008, 11:33 AM
Here is my feelings on dominique rodgers cromartie. Athletic ability and potential are through the roof. This kid has all the intangibles you could ever want. Fast, athletic, tall, amazing change of direction(He is a track star). And from all the interviews ive read, he comes off as a very respectful and likable kid. Before I start knocking him, I should say i havent seen him play with the exception of the senior bowl, and he played great there. I dont get to catch a whole lot of 1-AA Tennessee State games on TV, I doubt many of us do.

There are 2 knocks on him at this point, first he is said to be weak against the run. This is understandable, at 6'2 he only weighs in at 178 lbs, Im not sure how good of an open feild tackler he is, but i can see him having trouble taking down the bigger backs in the nfl. Thats not a huge deal i think you sign DTs and LBs to stop the run. The second knock on him is somewhat more serious. He has only played 1 season of football in his life before going to college. Because of this the only offer he got was from Tennessee State, a 1-AA team that is hardly considered a power house. While he played well there, one has to worry about the level of competition he faced on a weekly basis. But moreso the level of technique coaching he received. DRC is still very raw by most accounts. An athletic playmaking CB with all the tools to dominate, but still very raw.(kinda reminds me of Youboty).

I think DRC could be a probowl level shut down corner at the next level, but hardly a lock to supplant McGee on opening day. I just remember this place going crazy last year at the thought of Digi beating out Poz to be the opening day starter. Could you imagine if your 11th overall pick this year didnt see more than Nickle and ST duties his rookie year? Like I said, I'm no expert, but i know we need an imediate starter to come from that 11 spot.
Good post, but that is also why I said that I would trade down to get him. :up:

colin
03-06-2008, 11:34 AM
mahdi,

i agree that there have been some great top 10 picks, but i think you rated too many of the ones on ur list.

a few of those guys were at best average or busted out a bit for their first team.

ParanoidAndroid
03-06-2008, 01:23 PM

Long would cost us almost our entire draft and Gholston is far from a can't miss prospect.