PDA

View Full Version : Buffalo Bills Had Deal in Place for Shaun Rogers

Devin
03-06-2008, 01:09 AM
I wrote here on Sunday following the Stroud deal that the Bills mgmt. team had acted adroitly following the collape of a deal they thought was "done" literally on the eve of free Agency last Thursday nite at midnite. Mnay of you asked what it was, but I could not say.

Now for the details following today's announcement that the Browns have re-done Shaun Roger's contract to a staggering 6 years--$42M with a $20M guarantee. Unbelievable amount of money for a guy with his issues.

You can guess the rest. Yes indeed--we had a deal in place for Rogers for the same 3rd and 5th we eventually sent to Jax for Stroud. We agreed. The Lions agreed. Rogers was on board. But Voila!!! In steps Roger's agent at 11:58PM and tells us that he is not going anywhere unless he does his deal over. To make a long story short--the numbers got out of hand quickly and our guys did not like the last minute extortion.

Within one hour we are on the phone to both Jax and Stroud's agent. He is at OBD on Saturday and the rest is history.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/story/2008/3/5/143032/3432

Ebenezer
03-06-2008, 01:24 AM
I'll take Stroud...we got the better of the deal.

PECKERWOOD
03-06-2008, 01:24 AM
Whatever, I'm just glad Stroud is a Bill! Next season is going to be great. I hope Stroud regains his status as an elite DT while in Buffalo and finishes out his career here.

mikemac2001
03-06-2008, 01:37 AM
BOOOOOOYAH can we still say in marv we trust???? or no?

Devin
03-06-2008, 03:03 AM
lol

deathadder
03-06-2008, 03:25 AM
Guys, that link is for a fan blog! First off, we cannot make any deals or negotiate anything before the 12 midnight start on 2/29 before we can make trades. It is against league rules and would be considered tampering. Plus, if you look in the upper left corner, it is a Fan Blog site. There is no credible information.

Luisito23
03-06-2008, 04:14 AM
Guys, that link is for a fan blog! First off, we cannot make any deals or negotiate anything before the 12 midnight start on 2/29 before we can make trades. It is against league rules and would be considered tampering. Plus, if you look in the upper left corner, it is a Fan Blog site. There is no credible information.

You're right about this possibly being :bs: but I believe the tampering rule only counts on free-agents not players that are being traded....I could be wrong though.

don137
03-06-2008, 06:41 AM
I think both players come with risk but if both are healthy and play to the level they are playing I would take Stroud.

Jan Reimers
03-06-2008, 06:56 AM
Even his ankle injury and suspension, I think Stroud brings far less baggage than Rogers.

TigerJ
03-06-2008, 07:22 AM
Stroud: Better deal, better player. End of story.

DraftBoy
03-06-2008, 08:04 AM
I dont know that Stroud is the better player, they are both very comparable to each other.

However this Buffalo Rumblings site must be somewhat new, Ive never seen it before recently, anybody know about its accuracy?

gr8slayer
03-06-2008, 08:05 AM
I dont know that Stroud is the better player, they are both very comparable to each other.

However this Buffalo Rumblings site must be somewhat new, Ive never seen it before recently, anybody know about its accuracy?
If both are 100% I'd actually take Stroud over Rogers. That's not to say that Rogers is not a great player.

DraftBoy
03-06-2008, 08:08 AM
If both are 100% I'd actually take Stroud over Rogers. That's not to say that Rogers is not a great player.

I think the differences are so minuscule that its hard to say Id take X over Y for sure, kinda like 1a and 1b.

gr8slayer
03-06-2008, 08:35 AM
I think the differences are so minuscule that its hard to say Id take X over Y for sure, kinda like 1a and 1b.
I don't think so, watch them both play. Rogers is intense and aggressive for the first quarter, then his fat ass breaks down and is just a fat body getting stalemated.

DraftBoy
03-06-2008, 08:36 AM
I don't think so, watch them both play. Rogers is intense and aggressive for the first quarter, then his fat ass breaks down and is just a fat body getting stalemated.

Not when he's 100% healthy, Ive seen him multiple times be a force throughout the entire game not just Quarter 1.

joecharb
03-06-2008, 08:43 AM

Buffalo Rumblings is a fairly new site, it's part of a set of sites called Sports Blog Nations. http://www.sbnation.com/. There is a site for every team which makes it nice because the administrators use each other for information about the other teams players.

I don't have any inside information on who this guy Geronimo is but he has been extremely accurate in everything he posts. He used to post on the buffalobills.com message board quite a bit. There was a lot of speculation that it was Chris Brown using an alias.

Here is another post of his that led up to the one quoted in this topic. http://www.buffalorumblings.com/story/2008/3/2/62936/19838

Mski
03-06-2008, 08:45 AM
im glad we didnt get rogers... has too much baggage

TigerJ
03-06-2008, 08:48 AM

My preference of course, but I think Stroud's ankle surgery must be better, or Buffalo would not have signed him. I will take Stroud's injury history over Rogers attitude and lack of conditioning any day. Yes, if Rogers gets himself in shape he's a dominant player, but at his current weight, he can't move the way Stroud can.

Luisito23
03-06-2008, 08:52 AM
Rogers = :fat:......Stroud = :flex:.....'Nuff said!!!....

Devin
03-06-2008, 09:28 AM
lol

course if rogers was a bill........

DraftBoy
03-06-2008, 09:36 AM
lol

course if rogers was a bill........

No doubt at all, if Rogers was a Bill he'd be Tommie Harris like.

gr8slayer
03-06-2008, 10:08 AM
Not when he's 100% healthy, Ive seen him multiple times be a force throughout the entire game not just Quarter 1.
Send me those tapes, the seven+ games I have on tape he has broken down before half-time.

gr8slayer
03-06-2008, 10:08 AM
lol

course if rogers was a bill........I'd still be singing the same song if he were a Bill, there's no :homer: in me.

I'm more than willing to point out Stroud and his flaws as well.

Typ0
03-06-2008, 10:15 AM
is that buffalo rumblings site the one Thurm started to stir the pot?

madness
03-06-2008, 11:54 AM
Buffalo Rumblings is a fairly new site, it's part of a set of sites called Sports Blog Nations. http://www.sbnation.com/. There is a site for every team which makes it nice because the administrators use each other for information about the other teams players.

I don't have any inside information on who this guy Geronimo is but he has been extremely accurate in everything he posts. He used to post on the buffalobills.com message board quite a bit. There was a lot of speculation that it was Chris Brown using an alias.

Here is another post of his that led up to the one quoted in this topic. http://www.buffalorumblings.com/story/2008/3/2/62936/19838

I'll second that. Geronimo is a legend over there.

feelthepain
03-06-2008, 11:55 AM
I'll take Stroud...we got the better of the deal.
Well the numbers don't support your opinion. Both players have been in the league the same length of time. Their stats are such:

Stroud: 100 career games played- 22 sacks-274 tkls

In the last two seasons Stroud has appeared in 18 games with 5.5 sacks and 43 tkls. Stroud also was suspended in 07 for using performance enhancing drugs (steroids I believe).

Rogers: 98 career games played- 29 sacks-353 tkls

In 06 Rogers missed 10 games in 07 Rogers appeared in all 16 games with 7 sacks and 39 tkls. Rogers also has a down side, he has been accused of taking plays off and not giving 100%. However last years stats wouldn't support that opinion.

I would think the Bills would have done better with Rogers at least as far as pure talent. Stroud also played on a much, much better Defense for his entire career. Injuries and issues are about a wash.

justasportsfan
03-06-2008, 12:25 PM
Well the numbers don't support your opinion. Both players have been in the league the same length of time. Their stats are such:

In the last two seasons Stroud has appeared in 18 games with 5.5 sacks and 43 tkls. Stroud also was suspended in 07 for using performance enhancing drugs (steroids I believe).

In 06 Rogers missed 10 games in 07 Rogers appeared in all 16 games with 7 sacks and 39 tkls. Rogers also has a down side, he has been accused of taking plays off and not giving 100%. However last years stats wouldn't support that opinion.

I would think the Bills would have done better with Rogers at least as far as pure talent. Stroud also played on a much, much better Defense for his entire career. Injuries and issues are about a wash.
Someones pissing in his panties.

AndreReed83
03-06-2008, 12:36 PM

And if the Bills would have traded for Rogers, you would be raining on the parade by saying the Bills overpaid with the new contract he would have signed.

In Stroud, the Bills still get a Pro Bowl DT with the ability to dominate and they save enough cash that they can easily explore other options to improve the team. Great deal for the Bills.

The Jokeman
03-06-2008, 12:40 PM
http://www.buffalorumblings.com/story/2008/3/5/143032/3432
Sounds like we learned from our Darwin Walker fiasco of a year ago. I think an important thing in landing Stroud and not having him renogiate his contract was bringing him here first before making the trade as don't think we did that with Walker.

feelthepain
03-06-2008, 02:03 PM
And if the Bills would have traded for Rogers, you would be raining on the parade by saying the Bills overpaid with the new contract he would have signed.

Why? Stroud has less production then Rogers even though Stroud played on a much better defense and Stroud has played more games. The Bills have a ton of cap space, so who cares if they'd have overpaid for Rogers, he's actually worthy of over spending for. Stroud's not bad, but between the two Rogers is the better player, should I lie about that so I don't hurt your feelings?

In Stroud, the Bills still get a Pro Bowl DT with the ability to dominate and they save enough cash that they can easily explore other options to improve the team. Great deal for the Bills.

Stroud hasn't been a pro bowler for a while and he's never been a pro bowler for a team that's defense wasn't top 10. The Bills were nearly last in total defense last year and run defense. They aren't the Jaguars, does Stroud have the abiity to be a pro bowler? Sure, but you've more then tripled his odds against that by moving him from Jacksonville to Buffalo.

casdhf
03-06-2008, 06:09 PM
I've watched Shaun Rogers play for 2 years. He can be an unblockable monster. But, he's fat, lazy, takes a ton of plays off, and doesn't really seem to be able to stay on the field. He makes Ted Washington look like an every down player.

feelthepain
03-06-2008, 06:19 PM
I've watched Shaun Rogers play for 2 years. He can be an unblockable monster. But, he's fat, lazy, takes a ton of plays off, and doesn't really seem to be able to stay on the field. He makes Ted Washington look like an every down player.

Well if he takes play off and still gets 7 sacks and 39 tkls in a season for a DT those are pro bowl type of numbers. Whens the last time you saw a resaon to bust your hump as a Lion? I knoiw that's a pathetic excuse, but it's a fact players turn it up when there's a reason to turn it up and the Lions never have anything to play for.

TheGhostofJimKelly
03-06-2008, 06:29 PM
I don't know if Stroud is a better player, but he is a Bill so I now think he is better.