PDA

View Full Version : Javon Walker Contract reports incorrect

B-DON
03-06-2008, 04:35 PM
RAIDERS GET DEFENSIVE ABOUT SPENDING
Posted by Mike Florio on March 5, 2008, 10:35 p.m.
There’s a perception in league circles that the Raiders are overpaying free agents in order to lure players who might not otherwise be inclined to play football for a team with a well-greased revolving door at the head coaching position.

And so the Raiders are putting the word out that the deals signed by some of the team’s new free agents aren’t as strong as advertised.

As Jerry McDonald of the Contra Costa Times points out, it’s virtually unprecedented for an NFL team to correct the record regarding the published details for player contract — but not for the reason McDonald articulates. Though we agree with McDonald’s assessment that the perception of big spending could help the Raiders lure other players, teams typically are reluctant to throw water on the numbers that make it to the press because they’re happy to let the player think he got a better deal than he really has. If the team publicly undermines the player’s contract, the player might acquire a chronic case of stick-in-butt disease early in the relationship.

As to receiver Javon Walker, the Raiders contend that his reported $16 million guarantee is made up of a $6 million signing bonus, a $5 million base salary in 2008, and a $5 million base salary in 2008. Some agents would argue that this money is as a practical matter guaranteed because the Raiders aren’t likely to cut Walker after only one season.

But we disagree with that. Avoiding $5 million in base salary and carrying $5 million in dead money next year is, in our view, a wash. If Walker doesn’t work out this year, we think the Raiders wouldn’t hesitate to cut him.

So the actual guarantee for Walker is $6 million and the practical guarantee is $11 million.

Also, the Raiders contend that the deal given to tackle Kwame Harris, reported as three years and $16 million, is actually a one-year, $3 million deal.

Meanwhile, McDonald suggests that the status of head coach Lane Kiffin is still up in the air. Kiffin quotes appear in none of the team releases regarding the new signings, and there was no expression of thanks for him when the team parted ways with nine-year veteran Barry Sims.

http://beta.profootballtalk.com/2008/03/05/raiders-get-defensive-about-spending/

Hopefully this means Johnson will come cheaper. Thank goodness

Meathead
03-07-2008, 07:39 AM
im not one to say i told you so so i wont remind you that i said you gotta take a look at the whole contract how its structured and how much hes actually likely to get because its often very different from what the alleged max is

im alway surprised how dumb athletes and their agents are when these huge contracts get touted and yet they are likely to never see that money. oh he signed a contract worth a hunnerd million look how bling he is. no dumbass it say youll get paid fitty mil when youre fitty five years old if youre still on the team theyll cut your black ass way before that so only fiteen of that is likely to ever be earned

but i did tell you so