X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jpdex12
    • Jan 2005

Damn, FA has turned into a trickle for OBD

When the **** are we going to sign Johnson? I'm beginning to wonder if we aren't trying to extend Evans before signing Johnson and that's why it's taking longer then we thought.

Honestly, there isn't crap left in the market for tall, big bodied WR's so I hope the hell we sign Bryant. I'm getting impatient. I thought Troupe would be a better pick up then Teyo Johnson but we won't get to find that out. We NEED a decent FA TE to bolster our depth. Anderson and Johnson are cut out of the same mold. They both sucked in previous opportunities they had with other teams.
    Where else would you rather be than right here right now?
  • Nighthawk
    Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
    • Jul 2002

Re: Damn, FA has turned into a trickle for OBD

I don't understand why they are doing nothing to fix the offensive side of the ball? Don't get me wrong, I love what they did for the defense, but if they think that drafting to fill needs at WR & TE is going to fix our problems, then they are wrong.

Comment

• Mahdi
      • Mar 2004

maybe they feel they can draft a WR with their first pick and a TE with their second... Hardy and Keller???

Comment

• B-DON
        hi
        • Mar 2004

Free agency is not even a week old. Calm the F down people. One day this board is glowing with glee and the next its jumping off bridges.

Comment

• X-Era
          What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by B-DON
          Free agency is not even a week old. Calm the F down people. One day this board is glowing with glee and the next its jumping off bridges.
          Yeah but it would be nice to have at least a steadier pace

Comment

• Philagape
            WIN NOW
            • Jul 2002

I bet the ridiculous WR deals have messed up the market.
            "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
            2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
              Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

They're negotiation a long term deal with Evans. Until that's done, they don't know what they have left to sign other FAs. Bryant Johnson, Courtney Anderson can wait. Hackett is still out there worse comes to worse.

Comment

• bigbub2352
                • Feb 2005

BJ, Hackett, Drew Cater, there are still some guys that could help us, i am not saying alot but BJ and Hackett would be upgrades over Reed and Price, so whoever we sign we need to draft that position in the 1st and 2nd round now, i would luv Sweed and Bennett, in that order, and sign EJohnson and ink BJ,
                XTRA CRISPY XTRA SAUCEY

Comment

• B-DON
                  hi
                  • Mar 2004

Originally posted by EdwardsEra
                  Yeah but it would be nice to have at least a steadier pace
                  So are we supposed to sign someone every other day? Yoy people are unreal!

Comment

• YardRat
                    Well, lookie here...
                    • Dec 2004

In our case...yes. At least for the first week.

It's not like anybody is expecting the team to actually go out and try to get Randy Moss, Lance Briggs, or any other big names that might pop up, and then *****ing when we don't. We're talking about Bryant Johnson, Ben Troupe....Back-ups on other teams that would most likely be immediate upgrades to what we have now but not proven world-beaters by any means. They've both been in town, and at least one is definitely not going to sign because he apparently signed elsewhere.

The offense is just as much in need, if not moreso, of upgrading WR and TE as defense was at DT and LB. We struck quickly, and unexpectedly by most, to address the defense...Why haven't we been able to do the same with offense?

Admit it...NOBODY saw the Mitchell signing coming. NOBODY really knew who Johnson even was. NOBODY expected the trade for Stroud. But we signed three really good upgrades and didn't get raped in the process. Why not keep moving forward with Johnson and Troupe? They're not going to get a ton of money, and we have MORE than a ton to spend.

Midnight tonight ends the first full week of FA, and we've had the opportunity to address almost every need position that anybody has identified as glaring, yet we haven't closed the deal.

All the heavy work should be done by now, but it isn't.

Signing B.Johnson would alleviate the situation some (maybe a lot), but face it...The time and ability to upgrade a TE before the draft has passed us by, and corner and center are apparently an afterthought.
                    YardRat Wall of Fame
                    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• yordad
                      • Dec 2007

Why did they wait until now to extend Lee? I think this may be the calm before the storm.
                      "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• X-Era
                        What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                        • Feb 2005

Pipe down.

Did I say that? link?

I said it would be nice to have a pace to our signings.

Or, just come out and say that we are no looking actively at players. Then, follow that statement up by saying that we will always keep our eyes open for somone that can help our team but that we are not actively looking to add someone prior to the draft.

Im impatient, I can wait, I said it would be nice.

Comment

• jpdex12
                          • Jan 2005

Ya know B-Don, if you could hear the tone of the words that people type on this board you could get a better feeling as to whether they were panicking. Reality is that you can't so how do tell someone to calm the **** down when you don't know if they are losing it or not?

The way I look at it whatever happens happens and there's not much we can do to control it. Alright, there's nothing we can do to control it!

What I was getting at was that we have had an awesome FA on the defensive side of the ball so far this off season. As good as any one of us could hope for. I would like another CB to challenge for Greer's starting spot but...

What I don't like is exactly what one of the others posted on this thread and that's the fact that there aren't many options in FA this year for the two crutial positions on offense that need upgrading for the Bills (WR & TE). Johnson fits the bill for a #2 WR for us and gives us the most opportunity thus far for the #2 spot. If OBD is dicking around to get him as low as possible then we will lose our chance and have to settle for an even lesser talent at the #2 WR spot. That is something that this team can't afford if we are to take a step forward offensively. Troupe was a chance at finding mid level talent if his injury wasn't an issue and I can't wait to see what the Bucs signed him for. If it was cheap then I feel his injury still was an issue for OBD signing him. Regardless there really isn't **** left in FA for TE's. Maybe Becht from Indy or Eric Johnson from the Aints. He is injury prone though.
                          ***hole Davis out in Oakland has F'ed the market up for FA's as well and that doesn't help our situation with Johnson or Evans. I don't know if he has but if Evans is whining about getting a new deal before Johnson or getting less then Johnson when he is signed then screw him we don't need that. If that's the case we might as well trade Evans NOW for another WR to compensate his loss somewhat plus a high draft choice from that team.
                          I don't think Lee is like this though so it's probably just the Al Davis inflation effect and OBD playing bluff with Johnson.

Regardless, we can't afford to dick around and losing what talent is left to pick from.

Mahdi, don't use the draft as our answer like I've seen many others do. It's not a quick fix for next year. Only the answer for the long term. I want to see us get Johnson and another TE and also draft high with those positions for long term depth.

Sign the mo fo Johnson Russ!

Comment

• jpdex12
                            • Jan 2005

Originally posted by yordad
                            Why did they wait until now to extend Lee? I think this may be the calm before the storm.
                            We have to extend Crow as well!

Comment

• jmb1099
                              • Sep 2004

While I agree we need to keep active, we also shouldn't just throw a ton of money at every guy that comes through the door.
                              As far a Evans is concerned, they have been trying to resign him, but he has been patiently waiting to see what the market is. To resign Evans is going to cost more than anyone here wants to fathom, or pony up. The sad truth is the FO may be faced with a decision that allows them to resign Evans, or two or three other positions of need.

Comment

Working...
                              X