Remaining TE and WR options.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remaining TE and WR options.

Well now that Ben Troupe is gone I think we are left with two realistic options at TE: Ben Utecht and Eric Johnson

Utecht was a UFA, who many thought might be a R1 choice and fell out of the bottom of the draft. A RFA with a low qualifying offer, it might take a reasonable bid to prevent it being matched but at 6ft6, 251lbs and only 26 he might be worth it.

Johnson has been around a while but is only 28. A well catalogued injury history but he played well last season. More a receiver he puts in effort as a blocker if not achieving 100% success. Was playing well until another injury.

The pool gets smaller at WR. We've heard of DJ Hackett but a name not mentioned is Devard Darling.

Coming out of college this was his resume

AssetsAn excellent athlete. Has great size, quickness, and agility. A quick-cutter who creates separation. Adjusts well to bad balls and can make acrobatic catches. Has adequate long speed and can shift gears in a hurry. Blocks well and can beat the jam.
    FlawsTechnically raw. Will run wrong routes and doesn't set up defenders. Runs before the ball is secure and drops passes. Looks lost at times and needs to develop his football instincts.
    Career potentialLong-range prospect.

Did nothing having been drafted in the 3rd round in 2004 and did nothing until the 11th week of last season, when all of a sudden the lights switched on. To be fair, injury did play a factor in 2005 and 2006.

In 2007, overall he finished with 18catches for 326yds and 3TDs. Interestingly his average was 18.1yds per catch and 16 of those catches came from Week 11 onwards including starting

Could we grab ourselves a young guy with size and clearly with speed where the lights have finally switched on?

Called a long range prospect, could we benefit if he has arrived?
  • Mr. Miyagi
    Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

Re: Remaining TE and WR options.

Holy crap Eric Johnson is only 28? Feels like he should be ready to retire by now.

Comment

• Ickybaluky
      • Jul 2003

I like Darling. I really root for the guy because of his story, which is tragic.

Darling attended FSU with this twin brother Devaughn. During an offseason workout in 2001, Devaughn dropped dead. No cause of death was determined, but it was determined his pre-disposition to the sickle-cell anemia contributed to it. Since Devard carried the same trait, FSU refused to clear him to play football (although they did say they would honor his scholarship). It was controversial, as it may have been tied to a $2M wrongful death settlement his family got from the school. Darling transferred to Washington State, where he was cleared to play.

As an NFL player, he showed signs of developing last year, with a big game against Cleveland. At this point, he really can't be considered more than a 3rd/4th WR, but he still has upside. He has good size and speed.

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
        Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

But which NFL team would want him dropping dead on them?

Sure I'd root for him, from a distance.

Comment

• bigbub2352
          • Feb 2005

I think Eric Johnson would be a better option that Troupe if he stays healthy he has alot of talent, and he plays so hard, but he is hurt almost every year, i like him alot and if we could bring him in, and draft a TE we would be perfect combo of experienace and athletism that we need
          XTRA CRISPY XTRA SAUCEY

Comment

• DraftBoy
            Administrator
            • Jul 2002

I had completely forgotten about Darling after he was drafted by Baltimore (I think), he'd be a very intriguing option to bring in for sure.
            COMING SOON...
            Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
            We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
              • Jul 2002

Why not just draft one.

Comment

• gr8slayer
                • Feb 2005

Originally posted by NE39
                I like Darling. I really root for the guy because of his story, which is tragic.

Darling attended FSU with this twin brother Devaughn. During an offseason workout in 2001, Devaughn dropped dead. No cause of death was determined, but it was determined his pre-disposition to the sickle-cell anemia contributed to it. Since Devard carried the same trait, FSU refused to clear him to play football (although they did say they would honor his scholarship). It was controversial, as it may have been tied to a $2M wrongful death settlement his family got from the school. Darling transferred to Washington State, where he was cleared to play.

As an NFL player, he showed signs of developing last year, with a big game against Cleveland. At this point, he really can't be considered more than a 3rd/4th WR, but he still has upside. He has good size and speed.
                You think that's bad, you should hear London Fletcher's story

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                  • Jul 2003

Originally posted by gr8slayer
                  You think that's bad, you should hear London Fletcher's story
                  Do share. I know he picked up the "Baker" in his name to honor his grandmother.

My favorite London Fletcher trivia is that he played at John Carroll with current Patriots OC Josh McDaniels (who was a WR) and Patriots Director of Player Personnel -he was WR Coach last year before moving back to the front office- Nick Cesario (who played QB).

Comment

• bocephuz
                    • Sep 2003

Darling may be an interesting cheap option.

Living near Baltimore and following the Ravens.. I've seen him in action a few times. That scouting report is very accurate... he's a great athlete with size and can make some tough catches but he's very unpolished and sometimes drops the easy balls. Another thing to factor is that he's had some pretty poor quarterbacking in McNair and Boller the last few years ( neither of whom are very accurate) . Trent has a real nice touch and likes to throw the short routes and I could see Darling benefiting from working with a qb like Edwards.

I'm not sure if he can be a bonafide every down #2 what with the drops and poor route running .. but he'd be a nice situational goal line.. short yardage guy
                    Kent Hull for Hall of Fame

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                      • Jul 2003

The Chiefs signed Darling today.

LINK

Comment

Working...
                      X