X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bigbub2352
    • Feb 2005

More Bryan Johnson thoughts from another message board

Bills Poised to Miss on Johnson, McCree?
    By Brian Galliford
    Posted on Fri Mar 07, 2008 at 10:24:10 AM EST

Johnson weighing his options (Getty Images)
    [SIZE=2]We are now embarking on the fifth full day of what is being termed the "Bryant Johnson Watch". After visiting with the Buffalo Bills on Monday, free agent wide receiver Bryant Johnson has not yet visited with another franchise, nor has he come to terms with any team interested. What's making matters worse is the fact that Johnson's indecision has caused the Bills to miss out on one other potential acquisition (TE Ben Troupe) and may cause them to miss out on another (S Marlon McCree).
    The Latest on Johnson
    My latest information has it that the Bills remain interested in signing Johnson, and by and large the feeling is mutual from Johnson's camp. As we've speculated here before, the current wide receiver market has been thrown way off balance by the ridiculous contracts handed out to Vikings WR Bernard Berrian and especially Raiders WR Javon Walker. There has been some confirmation of the fact that the Bills are, indeed, working on a deal heavily laden with incentives for Johnson. Those negotiations, based on the aforementioned wideout market, are almost assuredly not going well.
    I've also heard rumblings that there are two other teams interested in Johnson's services. Most are aware that the Tampa Bay Buccaneers have expressed interest in Johnson, and they certainly have the cap room to make a serious offer - probably one more serious than Buffalo's. It's unclear who the other team is, though it could very well be the Arizona Cardinals, who want Johnson back and are reportedly shopping Larry Fitzgerald on the trade market.
    Johnson currently has more than one offer on the table. Look for something official to be decided from the Johnson camp over the weekend, but as early as today.
    Hamstring Effect
    Johnson is clearly still Buffalo's top free agent priority, and his indecision as he looks for the right deal is having a negative impact on Buffalo's ability to sign other free agents, specifically S Marlon McCree. The Bills are extremely interested in McCree's services, but their situation with Johnson has them believing that McCree won't make it out of Denver, according to my latest information. As McCree mentioned during his visit with Buffalo (he met with Broncos officials Thursday), he's expected to have a decision made by today.
    Troupe is officially off the market, having signed with the Buccaneers, and it seems very likely at this point that the situation with Johnson was at least partially responsible for that decision as well. The team may be forced to wait on TE Courtney Anderson and FB Corey McIntyre as well until something is settled with Johnson.
    The End is Near
    In essence, the Bills are stuck. They're waiting on a decision from a player that they clearly believe would help them immensely on offense, but there are fears that Johnson's agent will simply take the best monetary offer. If McCree makes a decision before Johnson, it will most likely be Denver. Everything, at this point in time, is contingent on Johnson's decision. My prediction: McCree will sign with Denver today. Johnson will take the best monetary offer, likely from Tampa Bay, over the weekend. The Bills will then turn their attention to Anderson and McIntyre, and really start researching cornerbacks and wide receivers for their first round pick. Stay tuned - the end is nearing with this week's free agency madness; it may not be a pretty ending for the Bills.

This is getting ridicoulus, get somethign done or move on
    XTRA CRISPY XTRA SAUCEY
  • Mr. Miyagi
    Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

Re: More Bryan Johnson thoughts from another message board

If Bryant Johnson wants to be a Bill, he's not having a good start with the fans or the organization.

**** him.

Comment

• ddaryl
      Everything I post is sexual inuendo
      • Jan 2005

I'm sorry but I fail to see how signing other FA's is being hamdstrung by johnson.

if the Bills can't sign other FA's while they negotiate with someone then the Bills are not shrewd their just morons.

Not buying that reasoning

Comment

• Mitchy moo
        Roways rooking ahread!
        • Sep 2005

Funny thing is I'd rather have Fitz and pay him and lee big money. We need an offense and those 2 would make us a playoff threat.

Comment

• Novacane
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by ddaryl
          I'm sorry but I fail to see how signing other FA's is being hamdstrung by johnson.

if the Bills can't sign other FA's while they negotiate with someone then the Bills are not shrewd their just morons.

Was going to say the same thing. That would be a very stupid reason for not signing anyone else. I don't buy it either.

Comment

• patmoran2006
            Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
            • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Skooby
            Funny thing is I'd rather have Fitz and pay him and lee big money. We need an offense and those 2 would make us a playoff threat.
            ya and then watch Crowell and 2-3 other key free agents start to walk away each year because we have so much tied into a pair of wide receivers.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• Jeff1220
              H to the 12:20
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by ddaryl

I think it's more of prioritizing their spending than multi-tasking. If they spend on those other guys, they might not have the money for BJ and whatever else they might have in mind, and he (WR) is their first priority right now, not the other positions.

Comment

• ddaryl
                Everything I post is sexual inuendo
                • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Skooby
                There is absolutly no chance on this planet or any other planet that we ould take on Fitz and Lee's contracts.

Resigning both of those player would account somewhere in the range of 1/5 - 1/7 of our entire salary cap for 2 players.

Fitz's contract is not even considerable in buffalo. If lee wants 8-9 mil a year he is gone too... Lee requires a 2nd capable WR to open the field for him to operate... You can't pay Lee like a top 5 WR if he requires more help to put up top 5 #'s.... For 8-9 million a ayear Lee needs to be able to single handedly beat double teams regulalry IMO

Comment

• JJamezz

Administrator Emeritus
                  • Jul 2002

I don't buy it either. If their planning on spending that much on Johnson that they can't sign a Troupe or McCree (and we all know they're not) then good riddance..

Comment

• don137
                    • Jul 2002

I could see prioritizing if the Bills had 5MM in cap or cash to cap room left to spend on FA not including the draft or extending LE but that is not the case. I would think the Bills should have 10-15MM to spend still at minimum...

Comment

• bigbub2352
                      • Feb 2005

We have no need for Mcree i dont know why anyone is so high on him we have our safties, and they will only be better with our new dline, i am not saying added a vet wouldnt help but as a backup, KO will be good at FS, and Whitner is the SS, so really to overpay for a backup is dumb
                      BJ is a significant upgrade of Reed and Price, and that is why it is improtant to get him done, if we cant sign LEE to a resonable contract, there are WRs in the 1st round every year we can draft, take a wr and Te on day one this year regardless of what else happens in FA
                      XTRA CRISPY XTRA SAUCEY

Comment

• The King
                        Without me it's just Awe so
                        • Jun 2004

Thats fine Id rather see us lock Mcintyre down!
                        I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
                        "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
                        You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
                        It was all
                        true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
                        He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
                        mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                          • Jul 2002

I wouldn't let this guy ruin our other free agents. I dont see what one would have to do with the other. If they are thinking about signing all of them why wait for one over the other? If they have a cap amount they want to give Johnson and he wants more the forget him.

Comment

• bigbub2352
                            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by MBBedard
                            Thats fine Id rather see us lock Mcintyre down!
                            U realize he is a 29 RFA, and never started a game and has been cut by like 3 teams, he is a backup nothing more, and would be viaing for a backup FB position with Barnes another guy who has been cut by 3-4 teams
                            We need to draft someone to strat here, and i am praying to the gods it is schmitt, exactly what this team needs
                            XTRA CRISPY XTRA SAUCEY

Comment

• The King
                              Without me it's just Awe so
                              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by bigbub2352
                              U realize he is a 29 RFA, and never started a game and has been cut by like 3 teams, he is a backup nothing more, and would be viaing for a backup FB position with Barnes another guy who has been cut by 3-4 teams
                              We need to draft someone to strat here, and i am praying to the gods it is schmitt, exactly what this team needs
                              If were going Schmitt I have no issue avoiding Mac. However if we are not we need to bring this kid in. Competition brings out the best in players.
                              I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
                              "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
                              You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
                              It was all
                              true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
                              He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
                              mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

Working...
                              X