• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

Whats goin on

Ok until today I've been busy and havent paid attention much to numbers.. But if clump is accurate right now, do we really have like close to $47 to spend in CASH to CAP??

If the answer is yes, what in the blue hell are we doing? I seen we hosted a ****load of FA's early in the week; didn't sign ANY of them, and now it seems like there is no news on the horizon, other than a Jason Whittle resigning?

anyone have any news or insight as to what the bills are going to do towards spending that money (wow, thats a lot). Or is Ralphy getting ready to get richer?

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE
  • Philagape
    WIN NOW
    • Jul 2002

Re: Whats goin on

Cheapness is not defined by what you spend, but by what you don't spend.

(that was pre-emptive.)
    "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
    2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• casdhf
      • Jul 2002

Hopefully they're working on extensions for some of our upcoming UFA.
      Originally posted by BillsZone Mod
      cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
        • Feb 2005

I say we extend Evans... Then we trade for (and extend) Roy Williams or Larry Fitzgerald.

Comment

• patmoran2006
          Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
          • Dec 2005

I'm not being sarcastic, Im being dead serious.. That is an awful lot of cash to cap money.

Are we not even going to spend to the cap anymore?

I would "assume" that Crowell and Evans are getting ready to get locked up? Honestly, other than a little eavesdropping in here, I been out of the loop this week.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
            • Feb 2005

I don't think we even came close to spending C2C last season.

Comment

• jimbohastle51
              All-Pro Zoner
              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by patmoran2006
              I'm not being sarcastic, Im being dead serious.. That is an awful lot of cash to cap money.

I would "assume" that Crowell and Evans are getting ready to get locked up? Honestly, other than a little eavesdropping in here, I been out of the loop this week.
              i agree, i think that lee evans is deffinatly going to be extended before the season, crowell wil get his too but i dont know if it will be before the season. we have too get another tight end!!! i mean have too, how do you go into camp with only 2 tight ends? we should have 5-6 during training camp before cuts. and we have to get a WR getting a rookie in the first is great and all but we cant expect the numbers we need from a rookie WR. not too mention LB depth. besides ellison now that wire and stamer are gone i mean who is our depth at LB, there is some bargains out there that would be nice fill in players.

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
                • Feb 2005

TE - Sign Anderson and draft Jermichael Finley

WR - I'm serious about a trade for Williams or Fitzgerald... If not, I'll be happy with Bryant Johnson and James Hardy.

LB - Moffitt in the 5th or 6th will seal the depth

Comment

• circlethewagons
                  • Dec 2005

I would hope that money would all be going towards extending crowell evans and even peters (i think he has two years left on his deal...?)- but the way the bills are managed, you never know.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                    Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                    • May 2003

Even if we have tons of money, there is no use in throwing it away on players who are not worth anywhere near what they are demanding.
                    Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                      Peterman Sucks!
                      • Mar 2006

At some point we have to sign someone, or a bunch of someone's, so we get to the amount that has to be spent.

Anyone know how far we're under the mandatory amount we need to spend?

Comment

• YardRat
                        Well, lookie here...
                        • Dec 2004

We've got enough money to extend Crowell AND Evans, sign a WR and TE, another FB, probably another half-dozen guys for depth/camp fodder and still have money to burn.

No way I'm breaking the bank for Fitz or Williams if I'm Ralph or Russ, but there's no reason we shouldn't have had Johnson and Troupe locked up by now unless both are looking for sick contracts, which I doubt.
                        YardRat Wall of Fame
                        #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                        #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Mitchy moo
                          Roways rooking ahread!
                          • Sep 2005

Originally posted by draz54
                          I say we extend Evans... Then we trade for (and extend) Roy Williams or Larry Fitzgerald.
                          My feelings exactly.

Comment

• LifetimeBillsFan
                            All-Pro Zoner
                            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by patmoran2006

There have been reports that they have been talking with Evans about a contract extension--but you know how the Bills are with things like that, they never say much publically about their negotiations with their own players while they are on-going.

Reading "the tea-leaves" from what C.Brown has said on BB.com, I think that Evans and his people are looking at what's been happening around the league with J.Walker, Fitzgerald, Roy Williams, and some of the other FA WRs, etc. and may be looking for some big numbers from the Bills. And, as I wrote in my article on the BZ front page, I think the Bills want to see whether they are going to be able to do something with Evans or not before they make any further big signings in free agency.

It's possible that they are still trying to work something out with B.Johnson, but I think it is more likely that they are waiting on what happens with Evans before they determine what they may want to do with Johnson. At best, Johnson is a # 2 WR. Why would they want to give him big bucks and a long-term contract if they can extend Evans' contract and use even just a second round pick on a guy like Hardy or Bowman, who could be ready to become a star in a year or two? If they can't reach an agreement with Evans (and that could depend on more than just money--he might want to be with a team with a better QB situation or in a bigger market to get more attention), then the Bills may want to wrap up Johnson for more years and be willing to pay more to do so.

And, for his part, Johnson probably is looking for the most years and money that he can get--especially in guarantees. He may be willing to wait and see what will happen with Evans, rather than sign cheap, knowing that he probably won't get more than the Bills will have to give him if they can't get Evans signed to an extension.

Given that the Bills probably know that it is going to take a ton of money to keep Evans and they have said that they really would like to keep him, I think they are going to put any movement beyond re-signing guys like Whittle, etc. on hold until they determine whether they can get a deal done with Evans. And, if you look at it from their perspective, that would make sense because, in effect, Evans is one of the biggest players left looking for a contract at this point--along with Fitz and R.Williams--and his people are probably waiting to see what's going to happen with Fitz and Williams before they will want to sign anything.

So, I don't think you are going to see much happening soon.

But, after the Bills sign a few lower-case free agents like Whittle, Murphy, etc. for necessary depth, I don't think they will have quite the amount of C2C cash that they appear to have now, either. And, I think they figure that a lot of that is going to have to go to Evans (with Walker getting $ 16 million guaranteed money, probably $ 15-20 million "up-front" for Evans, maybe more).
                            Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it. And, thus it was that they surrendered their freedom; not with a bang, but without even a whimper.

Comment

• RedEyE
                              • Jul 2002

How's that first day FA tight end signing going?

Comment

Working...
                              X