PDA

View Full Version : Marlon McCree Update

YardRat
03-08-2008, 04:54 AM
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/mar/08/broncos-report-march-9/

Safety Marlon McCree, who visited Wednesday and Thursday, was trying to hash out a free-agent contract. But the Buffalo Bills and Carolina Panthers are in the running, too, so the Broncos are keeping their options open.
There was some talk Friday in NFL circles that the Broncos are out of the running for McCree's services.

T-Long
03-08-2008, 08:44 AM
hmmm....I really think he's going to sign with us...but I also thought that with Troupe as well

ParanoidAndroid
03-08-2008, 11:09 AM
I'd feel better if he signed, but I guess Whitner and Simpson aren't all that bad of a tandem. McCree up at SS and Whitner at free would be pretty nice.

venis2k1
03-08-2008, 11:34 AM
A vet leader in the secondary could be invaluble, especially if we draft super raw CB DRC with our first pick.

patmoran2006
03-08-2008, 11:40 AM
They said McCree would play SS, Whitner would move to FS and SImpson would come off the bench.

I love the idea. If anything happens Simpson is capable of playing without losing much, if anything./

raphael120
03-08-2008, 11:44 AM
McCree would be a great presence if nothing else, which I think is important for a young team and very young secondary. It's getting to the point now where we have good veteran leadership in our LB corps, D-line and corners, only place we dont have any experience or capable backups is safety. I think we're getting all the major pieces of our defense but I'm very shakey about the offense until we sign a Johnson-type guy and draft a nice TE. I think if you draft a stud TE he will have more upside and maybe even more impact this season than a mid-tier FA TE you could sign.

Al the Bills Fan
03-08-2008, 12:20 PM
McCree would be a great presence if nothing else, which I think is important for a young team and very young secondary. It's getting to the point now where we have good veteran leadership in our LB corps, D-line and corners, only place we dont have any experience or capable backups is safety. I think we're getting all the major pieces of our defense but I'm very shakey about the offense until we sign a Johnson-type guy and draft a nice TE. I think if you draft a stud TE he will have more upside and maybe even more impact this season than a mid-tier FA TE you could sign.

I agree, I think McCree would be a solid pickup. Will I do backflips if we sign him? No, but he is a decent player and could provide some veteran leadership. I too, think we need to go after a top teir TE in the draft rather then signing another team's sloppy seconds.

YardRat
03-08-2008, 02:41 PM
Whitner already is a leader for the secondary, if not the entire defense.

Ferrygoat
03-08-2008, 06:52 PM
The Broncos continued to revamp their defense Saturday, inking UFA S Marquand Manuel to a three-year, $4.5 million deal, according to an ESPN.com report. Manuel, a backup for the Panthers last season, received a $500,000 signing bonus.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/Features/Free+Agency/2008/fanews030308.htm

Looks like McCree is out in Denver

YardRat
03-08-2008, 06:56 PM
Definitely down to us and the Panthers, then.

jimbohastle51
03-08-2008, 07:18 PM
the panthers have 2 starting safties and one of them they gave a pick up for last year to the bears so i doubt that mcree would want to walk into a backup role. at least in buffalo he would start or at least compete to start. and either way he is a great player and would be awesome to have ko and donte learn from, not too mention he lays the wood everytime he hits someone. i really hope we get him because we can use him, not too mention that his best years were under fewell.

T-Long
03-08-2008, 07:30 PM
he'll be a Bill by Monday

yordad
03-08-2008, 08:42 PM
Does anyone think if he signs then Whitner could actually move to CB? Not that I advocate that, but I'm all for putting our best players on the field, and I like Ko.

Bmax
03-08-2008, 09:07 PM
Does anyone think if he signs then Whitner could actually move to CB? Not that I advocate that, but I'm all for putting our best players on the field, and I like Ko.

No....

Whittner is a safety... ss..is his best position but he could play fs...

I think the Bills will sign McCree.. then draft a CB in rd 2 or 3...

I like Flowers,Lowery and Thomas from USC in rd 2 or 3...

Bmax

chubluv
03-08-2008, 09:13 PM
I dont want to see Whitner move to CB. We didnt take a chance at him at 8th over all to move him to a new postion a few years later.

Mahdi
03-08-2008, 09:50 PM
Marquand Manuel signed with the Broncos ... looks like they arent going after McRee anymore...

YardRat
03-09-2008, 12:38 AM
Wow...Denver signed both. Color me surprised.

Too bad we couldn't take the same approach with WR and TE.