PDA

View Full Version : Forget Johnson, With All Our Picks, Do We Draft 2 WR's?

raphael120
03-08-2008, 11:53 AM
Ok, youve all seen the insane money being thrown at FA WR's...

Here's something the Bills could do to improve the WR corps immediately while at the same time building a very strong WR corps for the future.

Draft Sweed/Kelly with your first rounder.

Now I read somewhere that we will probably be getting some compensatory picks also, so why not (with such depth at WR in the draft) draft another WR in the 4th or later rounds? If you're thinking "Well why would we draft 2 of the same position in the same draft?", I need to remind you that last year we drafted Lynch in the first, and Wright in the 5th.

I could see us doing that same thing this draft with the WR position. It's a way to improve immediately (Kelly/Sweed coulds start alongside Evans) and whoever we'd draft in the 5th could play in 4/5-wide situations (Schonert mentioned he wanted to open up the offense and do that more, put all of our weapons on the field as much as we can).

Here's my reasoning. Bryant Johnson has never been in a #2 WR role for extended periods of time, when he was in that position he did OK....dare I say about as well as a stud WR we'd draft in the first round would do like a Sweed or Kelly. Only thing is, a Kelly/Sweed guy would be much cheaper, and would have a MUCH bigger upside. The more and more I think about it the more and more I think the Bills are doing the right thing by not signing Johnson unless he realizes we can take or leave him. I think he needs us more than we need him at this point (at least if his asking price is high). I think this is why all other teams are backing off because of Johnsons demands.

Thoughts?

jmb1099
03-08-2008, 11:57 AM
I'm dreaming I know, but Kelly and Sweed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jmb1099
03-08-2008, 11:58 AM
Seriously, there is no sense on breaking the bank when the wr class is as deep as it is
WR market is crazy, unless Johnson comes back to earth, draft away

Meathead
03-08-2008, 12:00 PM
no matter how good they are a rookie wr is a liability as a starter. only basement teams should start a rook at that position

even if the bills had a total monster number one like moss or to or fitz theyd still highly prefer to have a decent vet opposite if they are serious about shooting for the playoffs. evans is good but hes not that good so they gotta sign somebody like johnson. both sides know that which is one reason its taking so long

jmb1099
03-08-2008, 12:07 PM
no matter how good they are a rookie wr is a liability as a starter. only basement teams should start a rook at that position

even if the bills had a total monster number one like moss or to or fitz theyd still highly prefer to have a decent vet opposite if they are serious about shooting for the playoffs. evans is good but hes not that good so they gotta sign somebody like johnson. both sides know that which is one reason its taking so long
Don't pee in my pool...
However, good points

raphael120
03-08-2008, 12:10 PM
Bryant Johnson never being a true #2 reciever in his career may be a liability too.

Thing is, you never know...Kelly/Sweed could be as good or better than a Bryant Johnson at the #2 WR position. And would come cheaper too.

Meathead
03-08-2008, 12:17 PM
possible but unlikely. a wr making a mental mistake can easily result in a blown third down conversion or worse a pick and a game changing return for a td. thats why qbs dont have much confidence in them and hesitate to throw their way

if the bills cant find a vet to take that spot the offense will suffer but they may end up having no choice but to platoon a rook with reed and parrish

FlyingDutchman
03-08-2008, 12:23 PM
Theres no need to draft 2 WRs unless we grab one late in the draft. We obviously need a #2 either FA or early in the draft. But Josh Reed is servicable and so is Parrish. Odds are we are not gonna get a WR who is step in and take over their roll at #3, and 4 so whats the point in drafting 2 WRs? We still have a lot of holes to fill. If we do draft one late, it will be strictly for depth, but I wouldnt count on that draft pick to make an impact.

Jayhawk
03-08-2008, 12:30 PM
Sweed/Kelly in the first two rounds! where do I sign?

patmoran2006
03-08-2008, 12:33 PM
How sweeet would it be to draft Kelly at 11, then move back into the first round and grab Sweed as well.

That would be fun.. aint ever gonna happen though

raphael120
03-08-2008, 12:54 PM
How sweeet would it be to draft Kelly at 11, then move back into the first round and grab Sweed as well.

That would be fun.. aint ever gonna happen though
Cha, right. And monkeys might fly outta my butt!

Sorry, just watched Waynes World.

Al the Bills Fan
03-08-2008, 12:58 PM
I am all for drafting two WRs in this year's draft! It will certainly help solidify our WR core for the future, the problem is you cannot count on 2 rookie WRs to produce. Starting one rookie WR is risky, 2 would be insane.

Drafting 2 WRs doesn't help us a ton this year (unless those two rookies last names are Kelly & Sweed, I know it won't happen) but we would see the benefits in the future for sure.

John Doe
03-08-2008, 01:06 PM
Justin Jenkins might be more reliable than a low round draft pick at wide receiver. Assuming that the team does not sign B. Johnson, if the Bills pick a receiver very low, he could wind up on the practice squad:

Reed
Parrish
Evans
Jenkins
Rookie
George Wilson (depth at defensive back and wide receiver)

raphael120
03-08-2008, 01:22 PM
Say we do get Johnson.

Do we still draft a WR in a later round? And if we do, he's probably going to just be the 5th WR. Jenkins I remember was very good in special teams duty so would Jenkins go back to the practice squad?

I think what the Bills are thinking about is that if they get Johnson, thats pretty much all the big work theyre doing on adding to the WR corps. Theyre not going to get Johnson and another WR with a first day pick unless theyre looking to cut Reed.

It gets interesting with all the options that we have for addressing the WR position. In the end, it really comes down to what we think about Evans and if we extend him or not. Once we find that out we can narrow down the possibilities.

Ferrygoat
03-08-2008, 01:32 PM
I seen this in Chris Brown's Fan Friday section but i agree with what he had to say and figured it fit in pretty good with this post.

" There's no question that there are big receiver options in the draft like Limas Sweed, Malcolm Kelly, Devin Thomas and James Hardy. But rookie receivers rarely put up big numbers in their first year. Calvin Johnson might be the most freakish athlete I've seen at wide receiver since Randy Moss and his production is what you'd hope for from a number two wideout (48-756 yards, 4 TDs) that's a rookie. Whether this year's crop of big receivers can do the same is a roll of the dice. They all adjust to the pro game differently. I personally like Devin Thomas the most, though I'm not opposed to Kelly either."

raphael120
03-08-2008, 01:44 PM
I seen this in Chris Brown's Fan Friday section but i agree with what he had to say and figured it fit in pretty good with this post.

" There's no question that there are big receiver options in the draft like Limas Sweed, Malcolm Kelly, Devin Thomas and James Hardy. But rookie receivers rarely put up big numbers in their first year. Calvin Johnson might be the most freakish athlete I've seen at wide receiver since Randy Moss and his production is what you'd hope for from a number two wideout (48-756 yards, 4 TDs) that's a rookie. Whether this year's crop of big receivers can do the same is a roll of the dice. They all adjust to the pro game differently. I personally like Devin Thomas the most, though I'm not opposed to Kelly either."
That's an awesome pic of lynch in your avatar. Nice!

patmoran2006
03-08-2008, 01:44 PM
I think we are taking a WR at #11, whether we sign Johnson or not.

Mahdi
03-08-2008, 01:46 PM
Sweed and Kelly will never happen....

However... if Evans is asking for money the Bills arent willing to give the Bills could draft Sweed or Kelly with their first then either trade back up for Devin Thomas or wait till their 2nd pick and take him or whoever else falls....That way we have a year to get Sweed/Kelly ready to take over #1 and the other guy to take over #2.

PECKERWOOD
03-08-2008, 01:46 PM
I would love to land Sweed in the 1st round, where we pick he will probably be the 1st WR off the board and most likely the best value. I don't think signing BJ would hurt us, even if we do sign him FA I still say we draft Sweed with our 1st.

Ferrygoat
03-08-2008, 01:48 PM
That's an awesome pic of lynch in your avatar. Nice!

thanks

John Doe
03-08-2008, 01:49 PM
Say we do get Johnson.

Do we still draft a WR in a later round? And if we do, he's probably going to just be the 5th WR. Jenkins I remember was very good in special teams duty so would Jenkins go back to the practice squad?

I think what the Bills are thinking about is that if they get Johnson, thats pretty much all the big work theyre doing on adding to the WR corps. Theyre not going to get Johnson and another WR with a first day pick unless theyre looking to cut Reed.

It gets interesting with all the options that we have for addressing the WR position. In the end, it really comes down to what we think about Evans and if we extend him or not. Once we find that out we can narrow down the possibilities.

I think Jenkins definately makes the 53-man roster - he is now the team's top gunner. Plus, he looked like he had some chemstry with Edwards in last year's preseason - but then Sam Aiken usually looked good in preseason too. If the Bills sign Johnson (reportedly a good blocker) and 1 rookie or 2, then maybe Reed is the odd man out (as you said).

YardRat
03-08-2008, 02:05 PM
I want a free agent to fill the gap while the rookies, whether it's one, two, or ten, are given a chance to develop.

If we go into the draft as we are, and we do take a WR at #11, he damn well better produce from the moment he steps on the field.

#2WR was (is) probably the biggest need on the offensive side of the ball, and waiting for the draft to address it is just foolish.

Night Train
03-08-2008, 03:21 PM
WR's rarely get jammed at the line in College. Plus they usually round off their routes.

2 major obstacles they must overcome to make it in the NFL. The scouts must find a guy who played the physical game in college and still can pluck the ball.

Al the Bills Fan
03-08-2008, 03:25 PM
I think we are taking a WR at #11, whether we sign Johnson or not.

I think you're right, WR regardless of who we sign or don't sign

Mitchy moo
03-08-2008, 03:29 PM
WR's rarely get jammed at the line in College. Plus they usually round off their routes.

2 major obstacles they must overcome to make it in the NFL. The scouts must find a guy who played the physical game in college and still can pluck the ball.

The draft is such a crapshoot.

Mr. Pink
03-08-2008, 06:02 PM
With how deep the talent is at WR in this draft, we could draft 2 WRs on day 2 that could very possibly push Josh Reed down the depth chart by the end of year.

2 names of note on day 2 - Jordy Nelson and Marcus Monk.

YardRat
03-08-2008, 06:34 PM
With how deep the talent is at WR in this draft, we could draft 2 WRs on day 2 that could very possibly push Josh Reed down the depth chart by the end of year.

2 names of note on day 2 - Jordy Nelson and Marcus Monk.

I don't want a couple of Day two guys...I want a FA (Johnson) and a first or second rounder.

Mr. Pink
03-08-2008, 06:48 PM
I don't want a couple of Day two guys...I want a FA (Johnson) and a first or second rounder.

And like you I wanted Gage and one day 2 WR.

Make no bones about it though, Marcus Monk would have been a day 1 pick if he didn't injure his knee.

I really don't think any WR is worth taking at our pick in round 1 to be perfectly honest. In a VERY deep class of WRs where the dropoff isn't that huge in the top10 guys at the position is it worth paying someone megabucks for a fraction more abilitiy?

It's not like Malcom Kelly is heads and shoulders above everyone nor Limas Sweed.

I could live with a Rd2 WR however if we go that route. I think it's gotta be WR or TE basically in that round. But you could get Nelson in Rd3 and Monk in Rd5 and have two very nice options to integrate into the offense.

YardRat
03-08-2008, 06:54 PM
Rookies are still rookies, though, and I don't want to go through half of the season with Reed/Parrish alternating at #2 waiting for a guy to get up to speed enough to maybe break the line-up after mid-season.

Sign Johnson, a vet who understands the speed and physicality of the league, and plug him in while the rookie(s) learn and get some PT. I'm not sold on anybody specifically for the draft, so I really don't care what round the WR comes in, but if we don't pick up a FA then we're putting ourselves in a position where need becomes a bigger priority than ability or value.

Confused
03-08-2008, 07:08 PM
Kelly and Uritia. Tough redzone combo.

The Jokeman
03-08-2008, 11:06 PM
I think Jenkins definately makes the 53-man roster - he is now the team's top gunner. Plus, he looked like he had some chemstry with Edwards in last year's preseason - but then Sam Aiken usually looked good in preseason too. If the Bills sign Johnson (reportedly a good blocker) and 1 rookie or 2, then maybe Reed is the odd man out (as you said).
Reed was playing better then Evans IMHO toward the end of last season. No way we lose him. That said think Jenkins should be our 6th WR behind Evans, hopefully BJ, Reed, Parrish high rookie. I could also see us taking 2 WRs though the odds of both making the active roster be slim to none if do sign a veteran like Johnson. That said if don't sign a vet, one guy that might be available in Round 6 or 7 that's recently caught my eye is Travis Brown. He might never be a great player but could compliment a quick guy like Lee Evans and has fairly good size at 6-1 and weight at 205# at the combine. Of course he's going to take some time to develop and might not be anything more then a 3rd WR.

kernowboy
03-09-2008, 04:08 AM
We don't need to be so radical.

If we draft a WR on Day1, there are still some extremely talented receivers who will be around on Day2.

We could actually draft two receivers on Day2, and either of them could step up. Players likely to be there include ...

DJ Hall
Paul Hubbard
Adarius Bowman
Mario Manningham
Steve Johnson
Jerome Simpson
Harry Douglas
Keenan Burton
Donnie Avery
William Franklin

etc and some guys likely to slip.

People do seem to get excited about guys who focus more on being a rapper than running at the Combine. Almost as bad as beating your girl and son (Hardy)