• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RedEyE
    • Jul 2002

NY Times Article on Bills

The nation is taking notice....

Buffalo Area Wonders: Could It Lose the Bills?
    Doug Benz for The New York Times
    The hot topic in bars like the Big Tree Inn is the decision by the Buffalo Bills to play some of their games in Toronto through 2012.

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. — Buffalo has absorbed its share of civic body blows over the years, from the shuttering of steel plants to the exodus from its neighborhoods. So last month, when the hometown Bills confirmed plans to play eight games in Toronto over the next five football seasons, fans like Paul Isaac naturally feared it was a prelude to the team’s eventual departure for Canada.
    Skip to next paragraph Doug Benz for The New York Times
    Larry Norton has broadcast pregame radio shows for 20 years.

“It’s the beginning of the end, and it’s a sin because we paid our tax dollars to help make this the most exciting place to see a game,” said Mr. Isaac, who says he attends about half the team’s home games each year. “It would be a devastating blow to this town.”

The start of the football season is months away, but the Bills’ decision — seconded by team owners in the National Football League — is a hot topic in the city’s bars and boardrooms. The debate cuts to the heart of Buffalo’s hopes and qualms about its future as a shrinking postindustrial city struggling to turn itself around.

It also comes just five years after Buffalo almost lost its other professional sports franchise, the Sabres of the National Hockey League, which had declared bankruptcy. The owners of the team at the time, the Rigas family, also owned Adelphia Communications, which also declared bankruptcy after a financial scandal. Tom Golisano, a billionaire from western New York, ultimately stepped in to revive the team.

The Sabres, though, are not the Bills. The team has been a rallying point for the city and western New York since it played its first game in the old American Football League in 1960. Some fans compare the anticipation on game days to opening presents on Christmas morning. Tailgate parties start on Fridays at the stadium in this suburb 11 miles south of the city. Former players, especially those who still live in the area, are often referred to like cousins or pals from the factory.

The affection has made it difficult for die-hard fans, and businesses that rely heavily on them, to resist feeling jilted. Danny DeMarco, the owner of the Big Tree Inn near the stadium, said business picks up four days before home games as camera operators, security guards and other workers show up. He also caters tent parties for up to 100 behind his bar and makes more money selling parking spots.

More article:

• Mitchy moo
    Roways rooking ahread!
    • Sep 2005

Re: NY Times Article on Bills

send some f-in money to this side of the state & then I'll read this slop.

Comment

• feldspar
      • Mar 2007

I used to do the football pool for the Big Tree Inn.

Been there many-a-time. Recognized it right away from the picture.

Comment

• chubluv
        BillsZone bowling team MVP
        • Jan 2003

I had my first in that bar.

We are in 5th place
        Clump is on the IR
        Chubluv average is 167
        Yaz average is 179[/B]

BDZ
        Become a member of BDZ !!!!

Comment

• Mitchy moo
          Roways rooking ahread!
          • Sep 2005

club KC was my first bar drink......

Comment

• jamze132
            Don’t hate…
            • Jun 2003

I got my my first beer and cig from the Boyscouts... seriously...

Comment

• Mitchy moo
              Roways rooking ahread!
              • Sep 2005

Originally posted by jamze132
              Scoutmaster Jim still denies what happened after, lol.

Comment

• feldspar
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by jamze132
                As long as you didn't get your first BJ from there, you should be fine.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                  Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                  • May 2003

If Ralph would agree to sell the team to local interests upon his death - at fair market value - rather than to the highest bidder, we wouldn't be in this predicament.

I guess Ralph is too old to remember that the taxpayers of Erie County have contributed hundreds of million of dollars to build, renovate, repair and maintain the stadium - and to provide him a sweetheart lease arrangement - and that the fans have shown up in droves to support this team.

I guess he has also forgotten that he has voted against every franchise move that has ever been proposed in the NFL.

I have always liked Ralph, but at this point I would call him a selfish, greedy, hypocrite.
                  Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• RedEyE
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
                    If Ralph would agree to sell the team to local interests upon his death - at fair market value - rather than to the highest bidder, we wouldn't be in this predicament.

I guess Ralph is too old to remember that the taxpayers of Erie County have contributed hundreds of million of dollars to build, renovate, repair and maintain the stadium - and to provide him a sweetheart lease arrangement - and that the fans have shown up in droves to support this team.

I guess he has also forgotten that he has voted against every franchise move that has ever been proposed in the NFL.

I have always liked Ralph, but at this point I would call him a selfish, greedy, hypocrite.
                    I'll reserve judgement until this is either in the past or comes to full fruition. However, in light of the direction things seem to be going, the word "a-hole" definitly comes into mind.

Comment

Working...
                    X