This team still needs to make moves.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nighthawk
    Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
    • Jul 2002

This team still needs to make moves.

With all of the excitement over addressing the defense, I do believe that people have forgotten that our offense was horrible. Where are the upgrades on that side of the ball? This FO can't honestly think they are going to pick some guys out of the draft and suddenly improve our offense...do they? If so, all of the excitement that was felt regarding the upgrades on the defense, will soon disappear. I'm hoping for the best, but the more time that goes by, it sure seems that the offensive side is being neglected...unfortunately.
    Last edited by Nighthawk; 03-09-2008, 11:25 AM.
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Re: This team still needs to make moves.

We're 2 for 4 right now IMO, and that isn't good enough. We've already missed the boat on TE, unless Teyo really surprises. Troupe was our only realistic shot left to possibly upgrade at TE, and Johnson is already in that category for us for #2 WR. We miss out on him, also, and my feelings about this year's FA crop will be lukewarm at best.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• bflojohn
      • Aug 2005

I, on the other hand, see a vast difference in attitude and preperation! This front office is conducting itself with due diligence, and is changing the entire atmosphere at One Bills Drive! Ben Troupe would have been an upgrade, however, the player and his agent made more money in Tampa... so be it! Bryant Johnson can and will play this little game, and I'm of the opinion that the Bills shouldn't overpay for his services. It remains to be seen what the outcome will be, in this case. The draft will be cause for celebration in Western, New York in my opinion, and rookies can and do make impacts throughout the NFL. Lynch, Bowe, and Peterson on offense last year really made life hard on opposing defenses. It is likely that the Bills know that impact players are necessary to their newfound success in this upcoming season. I'm banking on them finding those players, (especially at #11) that come in and change the outlook for 2008. Rosy predictions, I know, but NOT out of the question!!!

Comment

• Mitchy moo
        Roways rooking ahread!
        • Sep 2005

Originally posted by bflojohn
        I, on the other hand, see a vast difference in attitude and preperation! This front office is conducting itself with due diligence, and is changing the entire atmosphere at One Bills Drive! Ben Troupe would have been an upgrade, however, the player and his agent made more money in Tampa... so be it! Bryant Johnson can and will play this little game, and I'm of the opinion that the Bills shouldn't overpay for his services. It remains to be seen what the outcome will be, in this case. The draft will be cause for celebration in Western, New York in my opinion, and rookies can and do make impacts throughout the NFL. Lynch, Bowe, and Peterson on offense last year really made life hard on opposing defenses. It is likely that the Bills know that impact players are necessary to their newfound success in this upcoming season. I'm banking on them finding those players, (especially at #11) that come in and change the outlook for 2008. Rosy predictions, I know, but NOT out of the question!!!
        Nice post, I share your optimism.

Comment

• Night Train
          Retired - On Several Levels
          • Jul 2005

I thought the 1 additional move we can make prior to the Draft is WR.

The TE position has never had a deeper draft pool and the FA options are/were terrible, IMO. Rookie TE's can start right away

I see CB & TE as a given on Draft day. So is WR, even with a signing.
          Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• FlyingDutchman
            • Apr 2005

Why is everyone so bothered we didnt get Troupe? Hes basically the same as Royal. And as for Johnson, I understand he may be better than any #2 WR we have on the team, but is it really worth dumping a lot of money on a guy who hasnt really proved himself? Just bc these guys were some of the top FAs left, doesnt make them good. Screw wasting money, lets draft well and sign our young good players long term.

Comment

• djjimkelly
              • Apr 2003

Originally posted by Nighthawk
              With all of the excitement over addressing the defense, I do believe that people have forgotten that our offense was horrible. Where are the upgrades on that side of the ball? This FO can't honestly think they are going to pick some guys out of the draft and suddenly improve our offense...do they? If so, all of the excitement that was felt regarding the upgrades on the defense, will soon disappear. I'm hoping for the best, but the more time that goes by, it sure seems that the offensive side is being neglected...unfortunately.

i couldnt agree more IMO we have added 2 pieces to a team that needs about 7. we made a big splash on day 1 and 2 IMO to appease the fan base. yes i would like a rookie wr or cb in round 1. but lets not kid our selves 1 of a 100 rookie wrs make an impact in year 1. this bills team is a bunch of marketing gurus. as for roster builders i think not. bryant johnson should be signed my optimism would come back even with mr 40% as our QB.

Comment

• YardRat
                Well, lookie here...
                • Dec 2004

I don't think it's too much to ask that areas of definite need are addressed in FA, as well as the draft. I also don't think expecting players of the caliber of Johnson or Troupe to sign on is out of line even with the perceived monetary constraints the team puts on itself. It's not like we're talking about Moss or Clark here.

We didn't exactly break the bank upgrading DT or LB and let's be truthful...Johnson the DT is just as much a risk as Johnson the WR would be. Hell, nobody even knew who the hell he was before we signed him, but now he's viewed as a major upgrade over Tripplet, etc.

We've got plenty of cap room regardless of how you want to twist the figures, there is no reason (other than somebody wanting un-godly money) that we shouldn't be able to make similar moves for the offense as we did for the defense.

Kudos to the FO for what they've done for the defense, but at this point (and I realize there is still time to rectify some things) they are half-assing the offensive side of the ball.
                YardRat Wall of Fame
                #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

• Mitchy moo
                  Roways rooking ahread!
                  • Sep 2005

Originally posted by FlyingDutchman
                  Why is everyone so bothered we didnt get Troupe? Hes basically the same as Royal. And as for Johnson, I understand he may be better than any #2 WR we have on the team, but is it really worth dumping a lot of money on a guy who hasnt really proved himself? Just bc these guys were some of the top FAs left, doesnt make them good. Screw wasting money, lets draft well and sign our young good players long term.
                  Roy Williams would be a great pick up for us, solid player and a immediate threat.

Comment

• Meathead
                    Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
                    • Jul 2002

if they just get a viable #2 wr vet i will consider the fa period a pretty big success. but without that i would say its good at best if not mediocre. thats such a huge need that if they cant get that done it will handicap the offense all season no matter who they draft for that spot

a te would have been nice but its not nearly as crucial. troupe woulda been an upgrade but not by a large margin so its no biggie they didnt get him. crumpler was a risk and wasnt coming here anyways. royal is a breath of fresh air bonehead but hes at least serviceable in that spot for now. gaines showed some promise but i dont think he was the answer so no biggie they lost him

i was also hoping for maybe an upgrade at center but there didnt appear to be anybody better than fowler available at least at a reasonable price. thats a tough position to upgrade via facy so theyll have to look at some grooming options in the draft

and just drop the roy williams crap skoob he aint comin here. well theres a longshot chance the bills work something with jp and evans for him but i wouldnt hold my breath
                    One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
                      My battery is low and it's getting dark.
                      • Apr 2004

Looking at the FA options on offense, from the very beginning, there wasn't a whole lot out there. Even B. Johnson, the best FA WR out there without serious injury questions (Hackett, Walker), is far from a sure thing as our #2.
                      The longer Johnson sits out there, the greater likelihood of signing him at a relative discount.
                      We've gotten rid of a lot of clutter on our roster and neatly filled a couple of holes on D. If we can smartly fill those holes on offense early in this draft, we will be better off than overpaying for second tier or injury prone free agents.
                      This team is truly on the verge, much more so than the last several years. If the FO continues this progression, of cutting loose the fringe and solidifying little by little by extending our better players, staying smart about FA, and drafting well, we will have a team who will be together for a while with minimal transition and making the playoffs yearly.

Comment

• acehole
                        • Jan 2006

I would still like to see them get a good CB or 2 depending how they feel about youboty.....I liked webster and wonder why we let him get away...I want a pass catching TE I dont care if he can block ....we need to keep LB's off of T Edwards,,,as I believe they will put 8 in the box and dare him to throw......

Originally posted by Nighthawk
                        Hated by the stupid..
                        Loved by their moms.

Comment

• YardRat
                          Well, lookie here...
                          • Dec 2004

Originally posted by andyxc71
                          Looking at the FA options on offense, from the very beginning, there wasn't a whole lot out there. Even B. Johnson, the best FA WR out there without serious injury questions (Hackett, Walker), is far from a sure thing as our #2.
                          The longer Johnson sits out there, the greater likelihood of signing him at a relative discount.
                          We've gotten rid of a lot of clutter on our roster and neatly filled a couple of holes on D. If we can smartly fill those holes on offense early in this draft, we will be better off than overpaying for second tier or injury prone free agents.
                          This team is truly on the verge, much more so than the last several years. If the FO continues this progression, of cutting loose the fringe and solidifying little by little by extending our better players, staying smart about FA, and drafting well, we will have a team who will be together for a while with minimal transition and making the playoffs yearly.
                          I agree, and but let's be realistic...

Staying 'smart' about free agency is about staying away from bidding wars for names (which we have) or trading picks/players away for someone who wants or aleady has an un-Godly contract (as in Williams and Fitz, yet there are those who would pull the trigger on those deals in a millisecond regardless of the money).

Bringing in reasonably priced guys that are a potential upgrade is not a risk at all, especially with the dollars we have to deal with.
                          YardRat Wall of Fame
                          #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

Working...
                          X