PDA

View Full Version : RW wins 2 awards

BADTHINGSMAN
03-09-2008, 03:57 PM
Bills | Wilson wins two awards over weekend
Sun, 9 Mar 2008 08:39:05 -0700

Mark Gaughan, of the Buffalo News, reports Buffalo Bills owner Ralph Wilson was given the Maxwell Club's 13th annual Francis J. Bagnell Award for contributions to the game of football. He is just the fourth NFL owner to win the award. Wilson also attended the 101 Awards banquet and was one of the recipients of the inaugural Lamar Hunt Award for professional football. The award was created to honor visionary leadership in professional football.

shelby
03-09-2008, 04:07 PM
Oh Lord the Wilson haters will have a field day with this.....

Wilson also attended the 101 Awards banquet and was one of the recipients of the inaugural Lamar Hunt Award for professional football. The award was created to honor visionary leadership in professional football.

BADTHINGSMAN
03-09-2008, 04:12 PM
Oh Lord the Wilson haters will have a field day with this.....

:rofl: Thats why I posted this..

ParanoidAndroid
03-09-2008, 04:16 PM
Respect for the old guy who is about to keel over. Even the NFL thinks senile old men are endearing. Congrats RW! Here's to your health...:cheers:

raphael120
03-09-2008, 04:49 PM
He should be getting the "Old Fart" Award, followed up with the "Holy Hell You're Still Alive" Award

YardRat
03-09-2008, 05:34 PM
:beers:

Well deserved, with more (HOF) to follow.

Owen DeBoard
03-09-2008, 06:09 PM
He should be getting the "Old Fart" Award, followed up with the "Holy Hell You're Still Alive" Award:lmao:

acehole
03-09-2008, 06:12 PM
Dont forget the oldest cheapest man alive award given later in the year...

Bills | Wilson wins two awards over weekend
Sun, 9 Mar 2008 08:39:05 -0700

Mark Gaughan, of the Buffalo News, reports Buffalo Bills owner Ralph Wilson was given the Maxwell Club's 13th annual Francis J. Bagnell Award for contributions to the game of football. He is just the fourth NFL owner to win the award. Wilson also attended the 101 Awards banquet and was one of the recipients of the inaugural Lamar Hunt Award for professional football. The award was created to honor visionary leadership in professional football.

Dr. Lecter
03-09-2008, 06:13 PM
Well deserved Ralph!

Now we have to work on the HoF thing.....

Mr. Pink
03-09-2008, 06:29 PM
He was a visionary...40 years ago.

He's now an old senile codger.

Good to see him get props though for his contributions to the game back in the day, unfortunately it's much like the rest of his tenure as owner around here a day late and a dollar short.

Dr. Lecter
03-09-2008, 06:34 PM
He was a visionary...40 years ago.

He's now an old senile codger.

Senile old codger?

Like the time he said the CBA was too rushed and need to be reviewed more? (Which most owners now say too)?

Or when he started to use Cash to Cap, the same method now used by about 2/3rds of NFL teams?

Ralph is still smarter than most of the owners in this damn league.

gr8slayer
03-09-2008, 06:36 PM
Senile old codger?

Like the time he said the CBA was too rushed and need to be reviewed more? (Which most owners now say too)?

Or when he started to use Cash to Cap, the same method now used by about 2/3rds of NFL teams?

Too bad it hasn't led to winning anything worth talking about.

Mr. Pink
03-09-2008, 06:43 PM
Senile old codger?

Really? Calling your fanbase poor and what they give isn't good enough is a smart owner? Seriously? Not selling off the naming rights to the stadium to generate more revenue when instead you can get the personal gratification and ego stroke that it's named after you is smart? Again, seriously?

Ralph is completely out of touch of the direction the league has gone and is continuing to go. He wants it to go back to the good old boy days.

And a serious question...what teams use cash to cap? I don't even know. And out of the teams that did use it last year, did any make the playoffs? If not, just because more teams use methods to put as much money into the owner's pocket doesn't mean they're smart.

By the way don't give Ralph tpp much credit for calling out the CBA, he didn't call out specific points that he didn't like, or specific things that weren't in the best interest of the league...he just said he didn't understand it.

YardRat
03-09-2008, 07:30 PM
Really? Calling your fanbase poor and what they give isn't good enough is a smart owner? Seriously? Not selling off the naming rights to the stadium to generate more revenue when instead you can get the personal gratification and ego stroke that it's named after you is smart? Again, seriously?

Ralph is completely out of touch of the direction the league has gone and is continuing to go. He wants it to go back to the good old boy days.

And a serious question...what teams use cash to cap? I don't even know. And out of the teams that did use it last year, did any make the playoffs? If not, just because more teams use methods to put as much money into the owner's pocket doesn't mean they're smart.

By the way don't give Ralph tpp much credit for calling out the CBA, he didn't call out specific points that he didn't like, or specific things that weren't in the best interest of the league...he just said he didn't understand it.

The man's a little to elderly to be put in front of a mike for too long...Big deal.

BTW...Ralph was the first to sell naming rights to a stadium.

The man is a founding father and should be respected as such.

Dr. Lecter
03-09-2008, 08:23 PM

Not exactly what he said, nor was it even close to what he said.

What he did say, and it is true, is the city of Buffalo is too poor to support a team by itself.

As for the naming rights look around the league. The smaller market teams rearely sell them. Cleveland, Buffalo and Jacksonville for example. There is not the corporate presence or desire to do so.

If the NFL continues in the direction it is going, it will be no better than MLB and be in even worse condition. What he sees is the way the Snyder's of the NFL and their "screw youall" attitudes will ruin the league. Pete Rozelle must be turing over in his grave.

Cash to crap does NOT put more money in the owner's pocket. It is a different accounting method. It is akin to a credit card.

No, what he said (and I said) was he said it was being rushed through the owners. A few weeks later he called out parts of it.

And what do you know: Now Jerry Jones and Pat Bowlen are saying similar things and predicting the owners will void the deal after 2009.

Guess the old man is not so crazy.

gr8slayer
03-09-2008, 08:53 PM
I'm having a hard time arguing against Ralph the past two off-seasons. For what it's worth I think he's getting better, I just hope he gets to see his creation win something before he dies.

Dr. Lecter
03-09-2008, 08:55 PM
I'm having a hard time arguing against Ralph the past two off-seasons. For what it's worth I think he's getting better, I just hope he gets to see his creation win something before he dies.

Even before that he was spending money. Bledsoe. Adams. Milloy. Moulds. Spikes. Fletcher.

It did not work. But he did make an effort.

gr8slayer
03-09-2008, 09:01 PM
Even before that he was spending money. Bledsoe. Adams. Milloy. Moulds. Spikes. Fletcher.

It did not work. But he did make an effort.
We drafted Moulds and none of those guys minus Spikes were the level of players that Stroud is (when healthy.) But this is an argument that I'm tried of having with people so I'll just agree to disagree.

Although he's been "cheap" in the past I agree, he has tried. I've called him "cheap" a few times but there are at least ten other owners out there I could name off the top of my head that are cheaper. My issue with him has been decision making when it comes to football, I do often wonder if the game has passed him by a bit but this off-season and the last are making me a believer.

By no means am I saying that we're a contender or even a playoff team right now but we're plugging in a good FA here, a good FA there and we're drafting well, not great but well and I like the way the team is starting to go.

Jan Reimers
03-10-2008, 10:29 AM
I like Ralph and I have almost always supported him. He belongs in the HOF, no doubt.

But I find it ironic that while the article points out that, "He voted against every franchise relocation that ever came up," his current "sell to the highest bidder" approach will facilitate the relocation of the very franchise he has owned for 48 years.

I guess his legacy will be: He protected the fans of every franchise except his own.