Pats want to destroy Walsh's evidence without anyone seeing it......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mitchy moo
    Roways rooking ahread!
    • Sep 2005

Pats want to destroy Walsh's evidence without anyone seeing it......

Article Tools Sponsored By
    By GREG BISHOP
    Published: March 9, 2008

Senator Arlen Specter said Saturday that he doubted the N.F.L. would ever talk to Matt Walsh, the former New England video assistant who may have information about the Patriots’ spying tactics.

“I’d like to issue a challenge to the commissioner to make public the extensive exchange of correspondence between the league’s lawyers and Walsh’s lawyers,” Specter, a Republican from Pennsylvania, said in a phone interview after reviewing that correspondence.

Specter was more expansive than he was Friday, when he said a memo Commissioner Roger Goodell sent last week to the competition committee had contradicted Goodell’s playing down any advantage the Patriots may have gained from spying. The memo was a proposal to the committee that would strengthen the league’s oversight on rules and Goodell’s powers to penalize violators.

Lawyers for the league and Walsh have exchanged proposals the past few weeks.

“Any objective or accurate reading of the correspondence would show the N.F.L. is trying to discourage Walsh from coming forward,” Specter said. “Especially the requirement in the letter, where the N.F.L. calls for the destruction of whatever Walsh turns over without any provision for me or anyone else to see it.”

Goodell’s memo contained a five-point plan, which included provisions for teams to report suspected or actual violations of league rules, and a reduction in the burden of proof he needed to hand out discipline.

“The commissioner doesn’t need new rules for the authority to impose penalties for prior misconduct,” Specter said. “There is no statute of limitations there. If he’s really serious, he ought to do it on his own now. It has to be identified and publicly so you can correct misconduct in the future.”

Specter has long questioned the N.F.L.’s handling of the case in which the Patriots were caught filming the Jets’ defensive signals, fined $750,000 and docked a first-round draft pick. The league destroyed all tapes and notes from that investigation. The N.F.L said Friday that there was no news to report on the Walsh proposals, and that the league still wanted to talk to him.

“We need to hear from Walsh,” Specter said. “Those letters ought to be in the public domain. I’m challenging the commissioner to do that.”

Last edited by Mitchy moo; 03-09-2008, 06:35 PM.
  • Owen DeBoard
    • Sep 2007

Re: Pats want to destroy Walsh's evidence without anyone seeing it......

To be the man you got to beat the man!

Comment

• Mitchy moo
      Roways rooking ahread!
      • Sep 2005

Looks like arrogance may end up bringing the league down. Fruitcake running it doesn't realize that protecting his friends are going to help them lose their protected status with the gov. My best advice is let Walsh hand over all of his stuff and let the public decide how they feel about the games the BB and crew played.

Comment

• Owen DeBoard
        • Sep 2007

I was startin to wonder if this topic was getting swept under the rug. Im glad its not.
        To be the man you got to beat the man!

Comment

• Mitchy moo
          Roways rooking ahread!
          • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Owen DeBoard
          I was startin to wonder if this topic was getting swept under the rug. Im glad its not.
          BB's rug if Ole' Roger has his way.

Comment

• Meathead
            Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
            • Jul 2002

One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• Mitchy moo
              Roways rooking ahread!
              • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Meathead
              My bad:

Comment

• YardRat
                Well, lookie here...
                • Dec 2004

Goodell should be gone. He's FUBAR'd this right from the start.
                YardRat Wall of Fame
                #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• DynaPaul
                  • Sep 2003

Too late to destroy it now. The public has to see it. It's probably damning evidence (though I know NE39 will disagree) otherwise there wouldn't be a big fuss over it.

Comment

• LtFinFan66
                    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by DevilPaul
                    (though I know NE39 will disagree).

Comment

• Mitchy moo
                      Roways rooking ahread!
                      • Sep 2005

Originally posted by LtFinFan66
                      True. I say they ban them from post season play for 3 years, that will catch their attention.

Comment

• Don't Panic
                        All-Pro Zoner
                        • Dec 2005

Originally posted by YardRat
                        Goodell should be gone. He's FUBAR'd this right from the start.
                        Yeah, but its about the only thing he fubared thus far. Dude has done a great job raising an already very successful league to another level. He's definitely dropping the ball on this one, but otherwise its hard to complain.

Comment

• TedMock
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by bwbrenton
                          Yeah, but its about the only thing he fubared thus far. Dude has done a great job raising an already very successful league to another level. He's definitely dropping the ball on this one, but otherwise its hard to complain.
                          I completely agree. Even with this thing, he handed out a hefty punishment while trying to preserve the image of the league. Obviously, the latter backfired on him. Overall, I really like how Goodell has handled his job. Seeing the suspensions he's handed out to players, I have to believe that he told the Pats that this is the only strike they get. Just my opinion though.

Comment

• ddaryl
                            Everything I post is sexual inuendo
                            • Jan 2005

Here is another article.... LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLL

NEW YORK - Matt Walsh, the former New England Patriots employee said to have tapes of illegal spying by the team, is close to an agreement to turn over information to the NFL.

The NFL said in a statement Sunday night that in the last week, lawyers for Walsh and the league have made "substantial progress toward an agreement that will allow Mr. Walsh to be interviewed."
                            "Both sides are optimistic that any remaining issues can be addressed successfully and they are committed to reaching a full agreement as promptly as possible," the statement added.
                            Walsh, a golf pro in Hawaii, has been seeking protection from lawsuits and other legal action, whether by the Patriots or other parties. The two sides have been negotiating for almost a month after reports surfaced just before the Super Bowl that Walsh videotaped a walkthrough practice of the St. Louis Rams before the 2002 title game. It was won by the Patriots 20-17 over the Rams, who were favored by more than two touchdowns.

Walsh's lawyer, Michael N. Levy of the Washington firm of McKee Nelson, confirmed Sunday night that an agreement was near.
                            "I have consistently asked the NFL to provide appropriate legal protections for Mr. Walsh," Levy said in an e-mail to The Associated Press.
                            "In recent discussions I have had with the league's lawyer, we have made substantial progress toward this end, and I am hopeful that we will be able to craft an agreement with the necessary legal protections so Mr. Walsh can come forward with the truth."
                            NFL commissioner Roger Goodell has said Walsh was not interviewed as part of the league's investigation into "Spygate," which involved the league confiscating tapes from a Patriots employee who recorded the New York Jets' defensive signals from the sideline during the opening game of the 2007 season.
                            Six confiscated tapes and other documents pertaining to the Patriots' taping were subsequently destroyed by the league. Goodell has defended the destruction of the tapes.
                            As a result of that investigation, New England coach Bill Belichick was fined $500,000 and the team was fined $250,000 and forfeited its 2008 first-round draft choice. That pick would have been 31st overall, but New England still has the seventh overall pick, obtained in a trade with San Francisco last year.
                            Goodell has also met with Sen. Arlen Specter, R-Pa., who asked pointed questions about taping of both the Pittsburgh Steelers and Philadelphia Eagles. The Patriots beat the Eagles in the 2005 Super Bowl and the Steelers in two AFC championship games.
                            "As commissioner Goodell has repeatedly emphasized, `Nobody wants to hear from Matt Walsh more than the National Football League,' NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said Sunday night.
                            In addition to the negotiations over Walsh's testimony, Willie Gary, who played in that game for the Rams, filed suit in New Orleans last month accusing the Patriots of fraud, unfair trade practices and engaging in a "pattern of racketeering." Three fans joined in the suit.
                            Specter subsequently said that his interest might be covered by that suit.
                            "I think now that the lawsuits have been started, that I got the ball rolling, and the plaintiffs' lawyers are picking it up," he said.

Comment

• ddaryl
                              Everything I post is sexual inuendo
                              • Jan 2005

Originally posted by TedMock
                              I completely agree. Even with this thing, he handed out a hefty punishment while trying to preserve the image of the league. Obviously, the latter backfired on him. Overall, I really like how Goodell has handled his job. Seeing the suspensions he's handed out to players, I have to believe that he told the Pats that this is the only strike they get. Just my opinion though.
                              I'm horrified by how Goodell handled this.... he destroyed evidence. I want to know how much tape the Patriots had on AFC East teams and how far it went towards them winnng several AFC East titles

IMO the fine and the punishment were light and the tapes were destroyed to keep people from over questioning the league and the last 7 years of the Patriots dynasty

Comment

Working...
                              X