PDA

View Full Version : Couldn't have said it better myself...

Tatonka
03-10-2008, 10:21 AM
http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/21512.html

1. D.J. Hackett, wide receiver.

The Bills had soon-to-be former Arizona Cardinals receiver Bryant Johnson in Orchard Park, N.Y., for a visit earlier this month, but the 6-foot-3, 216-pounder left team headquarters without a contract; since then, Johnson has been biding his time, waiting for a team to overpay for him. That shouldn't be the Bills. Although Johnson has put up good numbers during his career as Arizona's third receiver, the 2003 first-round pick from Penn State has never proven his worth as a starting-caliber target. Nevertheless, some organization will probably give him No. 2 receiver money. Not smart.

That's where Hackett, a three-year Seahawk, comes into play. In limited action last season (six games), Hackett put up impressive reception (32) and touchdown (three) totals. Had he played a full season as one of Matt Hasselbeck's targets, the 6-2, 208-pounder would have finished with over 80 catches and eight scores. In Buffalo, he would be an ideal slot option for second-year quarterback Trent Edwards.

Buffalo's best bet would include adding Hackett as a No. 3, drafting James Hardy, the 6-7 wideout from the University of Indiana, and releasing Josh Reed. It's hard to beat a four-receiver set of Lee Evans, Hardy, Hackett and Roscoe Parrish. That quartet would combine to bring size, speed, physicality and playmaking ability to the table; Edwards and offensive coordinator Turk Schonert would be licking their chops. Simultaneously, opposing defenses and their coordinators would be fearful.

2. Ben Utecht, tight end.

Though Utecht is a restricted free agent, his team, the Colts, gave him the lowest possible contract tender (one year, $927,000). That means another team can snatch Utecht from Indianapolis with a better offer without giving up draft picks, assuming the Colts wouldn't match it. The 6-6, 251-pound Utecht, a 2005 undrafted free agent from the University of Minnesota, has quietly caught 68 passes in a weapon-filled offense over the last two seasons. So far during free agency, the Bills have brought in also-ran tight ends Ben Troupe (now a Buccaneer) and Courtney Anderson for visits; clearly, then, they acknowledge that their weak TE position -- which lost the productive Michael Gaines to Detroit -- is in need of repair. Utecht is far better than either Troupe or Anderson, and he's learned from one of the best in Dallas Clark. Buffalo really ought to consider grabbing the 26-year-old from the Colts and entering the draft with one fewer offensive need.

venis2k1
03-10-2008, 10:30 AM
Healthy Hackett > Bryant Johnson

Mahdi
03-10-2008, 10:35 AM
I completely agree... Although I think Johnson would be a decent addition he is not an overly physical receiver. I would much rather have Hackett. The guy runs very good routes, has deceptive speed and although he is an inch shorter and a bit lighter than Johnson he uses his size to his advantage more.

Problem is he hasnt been visiting anyone and he would like to remain in Seattle.

I think the Bills main priority should be to re-sign Evans.

The King
03-10-2008, 10:37 AM
Ummm yes I agree fully. If we end up with Hardy and Utecht Ill cream my jeans

Tatonka
03-10-2008, 10:37 AM
i havent read anything that said he is not visiting anyone BECAUSE he would like to remain in seattle. link?

venis2k1
03-10-2008, 10:51 AM
One has to wonder why he is getting no interest from a league throwing crazy money at WRs right now.

Mahdi
03-10-2008, 10:53 AM
i havent read anything that said he is not visiting anyone BECAUSE he would like to remain in seattle. link?
Im not saying he hasnt visited because.... I said he hasn't visted and he wants to stay in Seattle...

The Spaz
03-10-2008, 11:06 AM
When he is healthy I would have to agree, but when will that be....

justasportsfan
03-10-2008, 11:40 AM
Except for cutting Reed, I don't have a problem.

PArrish is our punt returner. Should he get injured in the process of doing so, Reed is a dependable no.3 that both TE and Jp have always been able to go to.

Philagape
03-10-2008, 11:43 AM
Hackett and Utecht are the best-case scenario right now, plus a first-day WR