PDA

View Full Version : Bills Sign.....

Dr. Lecter
03-10-2008, 12:32 PM
Courtney Anderson.

V-Text

historypete
03-10-2008, 12:35 PM
Its is on buffalobills.com also. Doesn't give any contract info though.

With the signing I still think we are going to grab a TE early (2nd or 3rd round) with a WR in round 1. Hopefully after that we get some DB and OL depth.

more cowbell
03-10-2008, 12:37 PM
ehhhh

Mski
03-10-2008, 12:38 PM
exciting :down:

historypete
03-10-2008, 12:41 PM
Anyone know why he didn't play in 2007? Did he suck, was he injured, or was it a combination of both?

justasportsfan
03-10-2008, 12:44 PM
camp fodder

blackonyx89
Anyone know why he didn't play in 2007? Did he suck, was he injured, or was it a combination of both?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Courtney_Anderson

raphael120
Woo hoo! Who's going to make the REP thread? Can i!??

jimbohastle51
03-10-2008, 12:45 PM
o would personally rather have courtney anderson and teyo johnson than neufeld and cieslak, anderson and johnson were both highly regarded coming out of college and they do have potential. neither have been in the league long and teyo is a stanford grad like edwards, maybe some chemistry there.

SquishDaFish
03-10-2008, 12:47 PM
I agree Jimbo

Night Train
03-10-2008, 12:48 PM
He could beat out Bobbles Royal for 2nd string.

We'll still draft a TE anyhow, who has a great chance at starting immediately.

Philagape
03-10-2008, 12:49 PM
We'll have to muddle through another year with blah tight ends. Hopefully we can draft a good prospect.

justasportsfan
03-10-2008, 12:50 PM
anderson and johnson were both highly regarded coming out of college and they do have potential. . he was drafted in the 7th rd.

maybe we can convert hin into an OL

raphael120
03-10-2008, 12:52 PM
he was drafted in the 7th rd.

maybe we can convert hin into an OL

Yeah and Tom Brady was drafted in the 6th. Come on, justa...don't bring facts into this.

don137
03-10-2008, 12:56 PM
You can always tell if it is not news worthy when the name of the person is not even listed in the title of the thread.
This guy seems like a journeyman's journeyman...

bigbub2352
03-10-2008, 12:57 PM
Better stil be taking a TE in the 2nd round, Martellus Bennett, i doubt either Teyo and Anderson make the roster, it will be draft pick, Royal, and Schouman, maybe keepin a 4th in Anderson or Teyo

The Answer
03-10-2008, 01:02 PM
Superbowl here we come!

~The Answer

SquishDaFish
03-10-2008, 01:04 PM
Answer get lost and go be a fan of a different team bro

The Answer
03-10-2008, 01:10 PM
Answer get lost and go be a fan of a different team bro

Calm down - it's called sarcasm.

The Answer likes your new screename better than the old one.

~The Answer

SquishDaFish
03-10-2008, 01:16 PM
Didnt catch the sarcasm and thank you

EDS
03-10-2008, 01:33 PM
Didnt catch the sarcasm and thank you

Robert Royal could have caught that sarcasm.

PromoTheRobot
03-10-2008, 01:37 PM
Sirius reports a 1yr deal for Anderson. No $$$ amount reported yet. I'm underwhelmed. Considering the short deal, the Bills must be too.

PTR

acehole
03-10-2008, 01:38 PM
Its is on buffalobills.com also. Doesn't give any contract info though.

With the signing I still think we are going to grab a TE early (2nd or 3rd round) with a WR in round 1. Hopefully after that we get some DB and OL depth.

I wonder if him and Teyo are going to be wr's or te's. Definitely help Trent in the redzone either way.

Mitchy moo
03-10-2008, 01:39 PM
Sirius reports a 1yr deal for Anderson. No $$$ amount reported yet. I'm underwhelmed. Considering the short deal, the Bills must be too.

PTR

Back-up signing, nothing to see here.

T-Long
03-10-2008, 01:57 PM
I like the signing...he's a big tall receiving tight end...and yes, he is an upgrade on what we've had the past few seasons. Even though he hasn't played much the past few seasons, he's got great potential and the big red zone target we are looking for...if we can land Johnson or take Kelly or Sweed, our red zone should improve dramatically.

HAMMER
03-10-2008, 02:02 PM
Blah...another average TE to go with the sixteen others we've brought in in the last five years. I have a feeling they will take one within the first three rounds of the draft.
Rd 1-CB or DE, BPA
Rd2-WR
Rd3 TE

Jan Reimers
03-10-2008, 02:14 PM
Gives us more depth at TE. Amongst Royal, Schouman, Johnson and Anderson, we ought to find a couple of guys who can back up our 2nd or 3rd round pick in the draft.

justasportsfan
03-10-2008, 02:16 PM
and yes, he is an upgrade on what we've had the past few seasons. based on what?

Night Train
03-10-2008, 02:29 PM
Sirius reports a 1yr deal for Anderson.

Bryant Johnson should get the same offer or go play for the Hamilton Ti-Cats.

Scumbag College
03-10-2008, 02:34 PM
I don't know if it's possible for two tight ends to do less than cieslak and Neufeld have done over the past couple of years. I say bring in at least one more TE in FA and draft another one early, let them all fight for jobs. At least two would have to emerge as the best.

Don't Panic
03-10-2008, 02:51 PM
Anderson was a member of the 1999 Richmond Oilers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richmond_High_School_%28Richmond%2C_California%29) basketball team that was featured in the movie Coach Carter (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coach_Carter).

That was about the most interesting thing on his Wikipedia page! I'm more than willing to give the guy a chance to fill Michael Gaines' shoes.

patmoran2006
03-10-2008, 02:53 PM
Gives us more depth at TE. Amongst Royal, Schouman, Johnson and Anderson, we ought to find a couple of guys who can back up our 2nd or 3rd round pick in the draft.
every signing we ever do gives us "depth" at TE.. How many years have we heard that running?

Sign someone who matters.

shelby
03-10-2008, 03:03 PM
At least this isn't a :curse:ing rumor.

THATHURMANATOR
03-10-2008, 03:07 PM
The guy didn't even play last year. He is a 3rd TE at best.

Dr. Lecter
03-10-2008, 03:10 PM
every signing we ever do gives us "depth" at TE.. How many years have we heard that running?

Unfortanetly there was not much out there this year at TE.

Meathead
03-10-2008, 03:14 PM
big whoop

Johnny Bugmenot
03-10-2008, 03:22 PM

As if these things grow on trees? Let's face it-- just like quarterbacks, quality tight ends are rare on the FA market. You have about as much of a chance of seeing Dallas Clark on the open market as you do Peyton Manning-- none.

Worse yet, they're even rarer in the draft. Remember how Vernon Davis was going to revolutionize the league? How's that turning out?

chubluv
03-10-2008, 03:37 PM
Didnt Teyo & Anderson both play for the Raiders? So what we are saying that we sign the Raiders cast offs. If they werent good enough for Oakland they are good enough for us. :LOL:

T-Long
03-10-2008, 03:38 PM
based on what?

Based on the fact that we haven't used our TE's the past few seasons b/c they all suck. That better?

HAMMER
03-10-2008, 03:57 PM
As if these things grow on trees? Let's face it-- just like quarterbacks, quality tight ends are rare on the FA market. You have about as much of a chance of seeing Dallas Clark on the open market as you do Peyton Manning-- none.

Worse yet, they're even rarer in the draft. Remember how Vernon Davis was going to revolutionize the league? How's that turning out?

Oh yeah, that was the guy we "had" to have. Pat Moran made us listen to how great he was going to be in five out of six threads leading into that draft.

Mitchell55
03-10-2008, 04:01 PM

Yeah right.

Nighthawk
03-10-2008, 04:24 PM
I think this should shut up the people who were running around saying that Ralphy isn't cheap anymore. Umm, yes he is.

Mahdi
03-10-2008, 04:30 PM

To be fair to Vernon he is working with sub-par Qbing, and no wr talent.... and still his numbers were pretty good last year....

BADTHINGSMAN
03-10-2008, 04:40 PM

Doughtful

YardRat
03-10-2008, 05:17 PM
Odds are against him making the team at all.

Nice to see we skipped Tier 2 free agency altogether, and went right from upgrading positions to 'any warm body will do'.

Dr. Lecter
03-10-2008, 05:47 PM
I think this should shut up the people who were running around saying that Ralphy isn't cheap anymore. Umm, yes he is.

Ralph never was cheap.

It is a fallacy that has been disproven 4,759 times.

Nighthawk
03-10-2008, 08:52 PM
Ralph never was cheap.

It is a fallacy that has been disproven 4,759 times.

Cheap is relative, I understand that. But he IS NOT or at least has never shown the desire to pay. Obviously, he's done it for a few chosen players, but his history is that he will buy mediocre players before he actually signs difference makers.

Mitchy moo
03-10-2008, 09:01 PM
This is a potential backup, I have no idea why some of you are dwelling on this signing.

Nighthawk
03-10-2008, 09:03 PM
This is a potential backup, I have no idea why some of you are dwelling on this signing.

It has nothing to do with the signing. It has to do with the fact that this team is not addressing the offensive side of the ball. I'm very excited about the defensive moves, but I'm concerned that the offense is still going to suck.

Mitchy moo
03-10-2008, 09:05 PM
It has nothing to do with the signing. It has to do with the fact that this team is not addressing the offensive side of the ball. I'm very excited about the defensive moves, but I'm concerned that the offense is still going to suck.

We haven't even drafted yet, aren't we jumping the gun here?? There is still Roy Williams out there, Potentially Fitz, BJ.......

Dr. Lecter
03-10-2008, 09:05 PM
Cheap is relative, I understand that. But he IS NOT or at least has never shown the desire to pay. Obviously, he's done it for a few chosen players, but his history is that he will buy mediocre players before he actually signs difference makers.

What difference maker at TE is/was available? MAYBE Crumpler, but he was snagged before he got here.

Nighthawk
03-10-2008, 09:11 PM
What difference maker at TE is/was available? MAYBE Crumpler, but he was snagged before he got here.

Not the point. Why sign another Robert Royal? Why address holes with guys that everybody knows can't do it? Now, I understand that he may be cut, but we now have signed two TE castoffs from the Raiders (and multipe other teams) to TRY to address our pathetic TE position. If you want to sign somebody, at least try to upgrade the talent...not that there is much out there. I just don't understand why they even sign guys like this. My point is, the draft is unlikely to produce two players (TE &WR) that will be difference makers immediately. If we are indeed trying to win NOW, then they might have wanted to sign somebody who could help NOW. We have to see how the draft plays out, so who knows.

Jeff1220
03-10-2008, 09:11 PM
Didnt Teyo & Anderson both play for the Raiders? So what we are saying that we sign the Raiders cast offs. If they werent good enough for Oakland they are good enough for us. :LOL:

That's what everbody said about Langston Walker too and look how terrible he turned out to be...Oh, wait, he's actually played pretty well. Point=Moot.

Mitchy moo
03-10-2008, 09:17 PM
Wait, this is a potential backup. :candle:

Why are we dwelling on this???????

Jeff1220
03-10-2008, 09:20 PM
Wait, this is a potential backup. :candle:

Why are we dwelling on this???????

Because it's a potential back-up and not starting material.

Barring a trade, there really is not significant upgrades at TE out there. Maybe Johnson, but I think the Bills just have to wait for the draft for this one. It's sad because I really think this is the role that the Bills were hoping Kevin Everett to finally grow into last season :(

Mitchy moo
03-10-2008, 09:25 PM
Because it's a potential back-up and not starting material.

Barring a trade, there really is not significant upgrades at TE out there. Maybe Johnson, but I think the Bills just have to wait for the draft for this one. It's sad because I really think this is the role that the Bills were hoping Kevin Everett to finally grow into last season :(

So you expected every player we snagged to be 1st string starters?? I am the most positive person you'll want to meet but I know that we need others to come in and play for backing people up.

Besides Crumpler, who was available at TE ?

Jeff1220
03-10-2008, 09:29 PM
So you expected every player we snagged to be 1st string starters?? I am the most positive person you'll want to meet but I know that we need others to come in and play for backing people up.

Besides Crumpler, who was available at TE ?

I didn't say I do. I said that's why people are dragging it out. :duh:
Read the whole post.

Dr. Lecter
03-10-2008, 09:37 PM
Not the point. Why sign another Robert Royal? Why address holes with guys that everybody knows can't do it? Now, I understand that he may be cut, but we now have signed two TE castoffs from the Raiders (and multipe other teams) to TRY to address our pathetic TE position. If you want to sign somebody, at least try to upgrade the talent...not that there is much out there. I just don't understand why they even sign guys like this. My point is, the draft is unlikely to produce two players (TE &WR) that will be difference makers immediately. If we are indeed trying to win NOW, then they might have wanted to sign somebody who could help NOW. We have to see how the draft plays out, so who knows.

They did sign three guys that will help now, which is not a bad FA season.

There was not much out there at TE or WR. So the found one DT that will help, one that should and a LB that will help.

3 big additions is not a bad offseason.

Mitchy moo
03-10-2008, 09:42 PM
I didn't say I do. I said that's why people are dragging it out. :duh:
Read the whole post.

Yeah, oops. I didn't read the whole thing, my bad. You get a pass, lol.

The Jokeman
03-10-2008, 09:42 PM
I'll admit Courtney Anderson was one of the guys I looked at when first heard was a UFA I'd pursue not realizing just how much he hasn't done of late. That said think he's a solid #2 TE and/or #3 if can land a guy like Martin Rucker in the draft.

Michael82
03-10-2008, 11:59 PM
:yawn: Couldn't we at least bring Ben Utecht in for a visit? :mad:

The Jokeman
03-11-2008, 12:01 AM
:yawn: Couldn't we at least bring Ben Utecht in for a visit? :mad:
No, he's a RFA and Polian hates Wilson so he'd probably demand a draft pick to get him.

Michael82
03-11-2008, 12:02 AM
No, he's a RFA and Polian hates Wilson so he'd probably demand a draft pick to get him.
Actually, he's a RFA that costs nothing if the Colts decline to match. :up:

The Jokeman
03-11-2008, 12:14 AM
Actually, he's a RFA that costs nothing if the Colts decline to match. :up:
Yeah but I doub't our front office offer him a big enough contract that the Colts wouldn't match thus we'd have to send something their way to ensure they wouldn't match the deal.

Nighthawk
03-11-2008, 06:06 PM
They did sign three guys that will help now, which is not a bad FA season.

There was not much out there at TE or WR. So the found one DT that will help, one that should and a LB that will help.

3 big additions is not a bad offseason.

Lecter, not the point of my arguments. Also, those FA signings were all very cheap (relative to the market), so it's not like they are out there going crazy with money. Even Stroud is fairly cheap for his talent. All good moves, but nothing that broke the bank.

Now, back to my point. This team has yet to address their pitiful offense and that has me concerned. Johnson would definitely be an upgrade at WR or even Hackett (who they haven't even talked to) and my belief is that there were a couple of TE's out there who could have upgraded that position. One would have been Johnson (from the Saints) or Utecht. At least then we would have an upgrade going into the season and possibly another in the draft.