PDA

View Full Version : So if they throw it to me 12 I’m pretty sure I’d catch eight

askabry
03-10-2008, 06:24 PM
This from our latest signing.

Four out of 12 times he's going to put the ball on the carpet - or worse, let it get through his hands and into someone else's.

If you can't laugh at this, I mean really ... I expect high school TE's to catch the ball 3 out of 4 times, or at least fair college TE's. I expect receivers to catch the ball each time the ball gets near them.

That's why there are so many GD zeros in your paycheck.

Buffatexas
03-10-2008, 07:22 PM
Honestly, I dont think there is a reciever out there who catches everything thrown their way. If the guy said that he drops 4 of 12 in an open field, well, then I have issues with that, but in a game time scenario, even TO and Chad Johnson "hears feet" or starts their run prior to securing the ball and winds up with a drop.

VeggieMan14
03-10-2008, 07:24 PM
Honestly, I dont think there is a reciever out there who catches everything thrown their way. If the guy said that he drops 4 of 12 in an open field, well, then I have issues with that, but in a game time scenario, even TO and Chad Johnson "hears feet" or starts their run prior to securing the ball and winds up with a drop. especially when Donte is lurking around back there

yordad
03-10-2008, 07:44 PM
I can catch more then 8 out of 12. But, where are you getting this?

askabry
03-10-2008, 07:49 PM
Let's put this into game perspective.

A pretty good TE will catch nearly 50 balls a year; that's right around three a game. Which means you'd be seeing your TE drop one ball a game. We're ready to fry Josh Reed for basically doing that very thing.

I'm sorry, but there is NO fan base in the NFL that would support a guy that did that on a regular basis - especially if he was supposed to be the receiving TE.

TO/Chad? They catch 6,7,8 balls a game. It's a matter of perspective.

VeggieMan14
03-10-2008, 08:28 PM
I can catch more then 8 out of 12. But, where are you getting this? can you now with a NFL linebacker waiting for you when you catch it. I mean your fast but itd be hard to outrun one of those nfl corners but idk maybe you would make it in the nfl :up:

casdhf
03-10-2008, 09:11 PM
The quote is pretty funny, if you actually read the whole thing. It was an Antonio Gates reference.

Jeff1220
03-10-2008, 09:17 PM
Looking at just stats doesn't tell the whole story either. Were some of the passes severely over thrown or under thrown?
I think whenever someone says they can do what a pro athlete does, about 95% of the time it's BS. A catch that is thrown in the parking lot, tossed by your 5'10" 175lb friend, is completely different than a laser fired at you by a big league arm with a bunch of 225+ pounders of solid muscle waiting to take your head off.

casdhf
03-10-2008, 09:22 PM
I’m pretty balanced I would say. I don’t think I’m just… a lot of it is opportunity. A guy like [Antonio] Gates or somebody you throw the ball to them 12 times you know he’s going to catch at least eight. So if they throw it to me 12 I’m pretty sure I’d catch eight. I think I’m pretty balanced. I think I can run block well, I think catch the ball well. I just have to still get better at every aspect.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>

YardRat
03-10-2008, 09:25 PM

Four out of 12 times he's going to put the ball on the carpet - or worse, let it get through his hands and into someone else's.

If you can't laugh at this, I mean really ... I expect high school TE's to catch the ball 3 out of 4 times, or at least fair college TE's. I expect receivers to catch the ball each time the ball gets near them.

You're assuming that 100% of the passes are accurate and catchable. Not going to happen.

yordad
03-10-2008, 09:29 PM
can you now with a NFL linebacker waiting for you when you catch it. I mean your fast but itd be hard to outrun one of those nfl corners but idk maybe you would make it in the nfl :up:Oh wait, I'd have to catch it with an LB waiting for me? Awe shucks.

But, for the record. I am 6'2, 200 lbs, in my prime, and can run about a 4.6. I am a flag football stud. LOL

Yasgur's Farm
03-11-2008, 06:34 AM
In 2006 Terrel Owens was targeted 152 times... He caught 85. Does that mean he dropped 67 balls? NO! He was credited with dropping 14 balls.

http://snap.stats.com/stats/nflinfo/playerstats.asp?id=3664&Submit=Go

Buckets
03-11-2008, 07:45 AM

Are you forgetting the DB"s who are also getting those GD zeros. You probably also ***** about a DB's inability to break up passes.

TheGhostofJimKelly
03-11-2008, 08:21 AM
I think some of you guys take things that are said way to serious.

askabry
03-11-2008, 04:23 PM
I think some of you guys take things that are said way to serious.

Here's what I expect our football team to do: get the simple thing right ALL THE TIME. Pass the short ball well. Catch the ball. Don't fumble. If you are a running back, fall forward and consistently make positive yardage. Stay onsides. Get off the field on 3rd and 14. Don't give up TD returns. Don't go for the interception when simply knocking it down wins the game. Know what down it is (amazingly, two key offensive players got this simple point wrong in the last five years). Make good, clean tackles - especially when you have the QB/RB in your sights for a loss.

I'm sorry, but these are not hard players to come by. Sometimes you don't even have to pay a lot to get them. Funny thing is, they rarely advertise themselves as guys that get the job done 75% of the time.

Example: the guy that led the league in pass catching last year, well I personally never saw him drop a ball and rarely missed one passed in his direction. Welker came to the Pats for a song.

Maybe Andersen IS the second coming of Gates. Maybe I take his comments too seriously. And maybe some players simply don't hold themselves accountable for what they do on the field, as well.

askabry
03-11-2008, 04:25 PM
... is completely different than a laser fired at you by a big league arm with a bunch of 225+ pounders of solid muscle waiting to take your head off.

As for playing against the big bad LBers/CBs, well ... the guy we're talking about here is what? 6'6", 260 pounds? Puh-lease. HE'S THE BIGGEST GUY CATCHING BALLS OUT THERE.

Catching "lasers" is precisely his job on the field. Excuse me if I hold him to a slightly different standard than the two of us.

TheGhostofJimKelly
03-11-2008, 04:50 PM
Here's what I expect our football team to do: get the simple thing right ALL THE TIME. Pass the short ball well. Catch the ball. Don't fumble. If you are a running back, fall forward and consistently make positive yardage. Stay onsides. Get off the field on 3rd and 14. Don't give up TD returns. Don't go for the interception when simply knocking it down wins the game. Know what down it is (amazingly, two key offensive players got this simple point wrong in the last five years). Make good, clean tackles - especially when you have the QB/RB in your sights for a loss.

I'm sorry, but these are not hard players to come by. Sometimes you don't even have to pay a lot to get them. Funny thing is, they rarely advertise themselves as guys that get the job done 75% of the time.

Example: the guy that led the league in pass catching last year, well I personally never saw him drop a ball and rarely missed one passed in his direction. Welker came to the Pats for a song.

Maybe Andersen IS the second coming of Gates. Maybe I take his comments too seriously. And maybe some players simply don't hold themselves accountable for what they do on the field, as well.

Good thing for you I don't take most things written seriously.

VeggieMan14
03-11-2008, 05:19 PM
Oh wait, I'd have to catch it with an LB waiting for me? Awe shucks.

But, for the record. I am 6'2, 200 lbs, in my prime, and can run about a 4.6. I am a flag football stud. LOL damn sign Yordad up you play WR? :up:

Yasgur's Farm
03-11-2008, 05:52 PM

Maybe Andersen IS the second coming of Gates. Maybe I take his comments too seriously. And maybe some players simply don't hold themselves accountable for what they do on the field, as well.In 2006 Welker was targeted 100 times... He only caught 67% of them... He's credited with dropping 4.
http://snap.stats.com/stats/nflinfo/playerstats.asp?id=7027

Your point?

The Spaz
03-11-2008, 06:28 PM
In 2006 Welker was targeted 100 times... He only caught 67% of them... He's credited with dropping 4.

Your point?

He's askabry a one time flag football stud apparently.....:oops:

askabry
03-11-2008, 08:24 PM
In 2006 Welker was targeted 100 times... He only caught 67% of them... He's credited with dropping 4.

Your point?

I think the point is incredibly clear - and in fact, it seems like you are making my point for me. "Pass the short ball well. Catch the ball."

The QB's tossing the ball in 2006 to Welker couldn't do the first, simple component: toss a short pass well. When they were able to get the ball anywhere near him, he did his job and dropped it only four times a whole season. Let's recall this thread involves a guy who's going to be failing once in four times, and how I found that humorous. (BTW ... seems to me most of the reactions hereabouts are a bit overblown, given the original observation.)

In 2007, Welker got near a QB that actually could throw the ball 10 yards well. Look what happened; 112 catches.

Gather together people that can do simple things well.

askabry
03-11-2008, 08:26 PM
He's askabry a one time flag football stud apparently.....:oops:

Funny. Personal jibes show the depth of your thoughts.

But for what it's worth, I'm not particularly great at football. And what does that have to do with the point I'm trying to make?

yordad
03-11-2008, 08:42 PM
damn sign Yordad up you play WR? :up:In all seriousness, I broke my back years ago. Freak cliff diving accident. I was serious what I said earlier, but I would be Mr. Alligator arms with a LB in waiting.

I'm healed, but it isn't something I will be chancing any time soon. Actually, if you can believe it, I've been told I should talk to them several times, but it really ain't happening. Besides, I'm sure there are a lot of people that hear that.

Oh, and I lost a half-step, I used to be even a bit faster.