PDA

View Full Version : Bills looking at Chicago WR Rashied Davis

Ickybaluky
03-10-2008, 09:42 PM
I'm not sure what their interest is, since he seems very similar to Roscoe Parrish, but this was reported in today's Chicago Tribune (http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/huddleup/2008/03/bears-could-los.html):

Restricted free-agent Rashied Davis has drawn strong interest from Seattle and Kansas City, a source close to Davis said.

Buffalo also jumped into the mix Monday afternoon.

Davis is a former Arena leaguer who is a slot WR/Returner, very similar in stature to Roscoe Parrish (5-9, 185#). He was tendered at the low level and was undrafted, so no compenstation would be required if he signs an offer sheet and Chicago forgoes their Right-of-First-Refusal.

patmoran2006
03-10-2008, 09:45 PM
oh boy.
Guess Ralphy blew his load on Stroud.

The Jokeman
03-10-2008, 09:46 PM
Davis has been a Kick Returner for most of his career whereas Roscoe's forte is punts. The only reason could see adding him if looking to make McGee a full time CB and don't want to risk losing him on returning kicks. Yet have said many atime think McGee is best suited as a Kick Returner first and a nickel CB.

patmoran2006
03-10-2008, 09:48 PM
OK.
How about instead of 2nd and 3rd string kick returners and tight ends, we turn our attention a bit more towards doing something (WR, TE, G, C, FB) that will improve an offense that has been near the bottom of the league. anything.

The Jokeman
03-10-2008, 09:51 PM
OK.
How about instead of 2nd and 3rd string kick returners and tight ends, we turn our attention a bit more towards doing something (WR, TE, G, C, FB) that will improve an offense that has been near the bottom of the league. anything.
Perhaps the Bills don't view any of the remaining UFAs out there as significant improvements to what we already have on the roster. I'm not saying I agree but who knows.

Ickybaluky
03-10-2008, 09:56 PM
Davis has been a Kick Returner for most of his career whereas Roscoe's forte is punts. The only reason could see adding him if looking to make McGee a full time CB and don't want to risk losing him on returning kicks. Yet have said many atime think McGee is best suited as a Kick Returner first and a nickel CB.

I disagree on McGee being a nickel CB. He isn't going to play man-to-man all game and cover guys one-on-one, but I think he is a very good zone CB with decent man skills. He may occasionally get beat, but all CB do. I think he has the temperment to match up with good WR, and also has good instincts and ball skills to make plays, as attested by his 4 Ints and 21 passes defensed last year. Additionally, with his stocky build and athleticism he isn't afraid to come up and tackle.

His return skills are a big bonus. I think he is a nice player, one of the bright spots the Bills have.

BTW, he already is a full-time CB.

Bone
03-10-2008, 10:00 PM
By cutting Peerless Price and Sam Aiken now on the Pats. He may be signed just to add depth or a special teams roll.

The Jokeman
03-10-2008, 10:00 PM
I disagree on McGee being a nickel CB. He isn't going to play man-to-man all game and cover guys one-on-one, but I think he is a very good zone CB with decent man skills. He may occasionally get beat, but all CB do. I think he has the temperment to match up with good WR, and also has good instincts and ball skills to make plays, as attested by his 4 Ints and 21 passes defensed last year. Additionally, with his stocky build and athleticism he isn't afraid to come up and tackle.

His return skills are a big bonus. I think he is a nice player, one of the bright spots the Bills have.

BTW, he already is a full-time CB.
He might be a full time CB but it doesn't mean he should remain one. The guy was zoned in many times last year and did little to show he was great. He put up some great stats but if had a choice of him or Nate Clements, I'd take Nate despite the money he's getting in San Francisco. I'm also in favor of taking a CB in Round 1 of the draft to compete for the starting position to hopefully put McGee or Greer back where they deserve as reserve CBs.

patmoran2006
03-10-2008, 10:01 PM
Please dont make this 2006 again when we sign Tripplett early (didnt work out) and then go after every no-name wackoff and has-been known to man. Bowen, Nall, Price, Fowler, ROyal, ATrain, KiwI Thomas.. no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mitchy moo
03-10-2008, 10:08 PM
I'm not sure what their interest is, since he seems very similar to Roscoe Parrish, but this was reported in today's Chicago Tribune (http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/huddleup/2008/03/bears-could-los.html):

Davis is a former Arena leaguer who is a slot WR/Returner, very similar in stature to Roscoe Parrish (5-9, 185#). He was tendered at the low level and was undrafted, so no compenstation would be required if he signs an offer sheet and Chicago forgoes their Right-of-First-Refusal.

I always thought this guy can fly, like RP.

Michael82
03-10-2008, 11:52 PM
:ill:

Bmax
03-10-2008, 11:52 PM
It's pretty clear that the Bills will be going WR with one of their first two picks....

They don't want to overpay for a WR in FA ..If they could get Johnson for for 2nd wr money then they may be willing to sign him..

It's clear to me that his agent over valued his stock.. Thus costing him a good pay day....The redskins and maybe the Bills are still looking for a wr in fa .. everyone else is done shopping.. Leaving johnson out in the cold.... With the NFL draft fast approaching he amy have to take a 2 -3 mill a year deal....

The leverage lies with the Bills ...at WR and TE....They can get a quality TE in rd 3 in the draft... one with a bigger upside than Troupe...The same for Johnson... Kelly, Hardy and Sweed offer far more to the Bills than Bryant Johnson can bring.

BMAX

The Spaz
03-11-2008, 12:20 AM
Were drafting 1-2 receivers this year with TE I hope. We let go of Aiken and Price.

PECKERWOOD
03-11-2008, 12:57 AM
Well what marquee players are even available? It's not like we can sign Dallas Clark to a deal.. I'm ecstatic about the trade for Stroud and the signing of Mitchell. I'm indifferent about the signing of girlie name journeyman Anderson. I think we are however in a good position for the upcoming draft. Draft Sweed in round 1 and let Evans walk next year if he plays games with us. If we don't sign him next year we will have alot of money to play around with.

Bryant Johnson? For the right price I will take him. However, I'm not willing to sign him to a big deal that could hurt the extension of Evans or Crowell. Why sign an underachiever to mega bucks, only because he is the best player available at that position? Screw that.

kernowboy
03-11-2008, 03:55 AM
There is no need to panic

As BuffaloFever said, why pay huge amounts for rubbish?

Also the two positions we lack are paacked in the draft. At TE, Kevin Boss was starting with the NYGiants pretty early on, he added to the team and was a 5th rounder. We could easily pick up someone like John Carlson in the 4th. At WR, no-one selected Terrell Owen until R3, yet he was starting after 6games. Another WR of similar size originally from Tennesse is Adarius Bowman who will also be available in the 3rd.

I think the Pro Days will reveal a lot, as will personal interviews.

I do not see the Bills getting themselves painted into a corner by saying we must draft a WR on Day1 or a TE in R2. If they feel they can get top value across the board, we may start the season with Reed and Royal starting and then our Rookie WR and TE being fast tracked into the rotation.

A good college career, senior bowl, combine etc does not always make a good Pro Career ... I'm satisfied we will get top professionals.

And I don't think either we are drafting Evans replacement - I think we are adding the complimentary No2. I think if Evans moves, we will add his replacement in 2009.

jmb1099
03-11-2008, 05:47 AM
Trying to make johnson believe they have moved on so he'll stop being unrealistic.

Ron Burgundy
03-11-2008, 06:53 AM
Ben Utecht is still out there. He's an RFA but he's been tendered at the lowest level, so there is no draft pick compensation, but the Colts still have the right to match any contract given to him.

He's the only guy available that I'd look to. Other than that, it's draft time.

Mahdi
03-11-2008, 07:13 AM
He might be a full time CB but it doesn't mean he should remain one. The guy was zoned in many times last year and did little to show he was great. He put up some great stats but if had a choice of him or Nate Clements, I'd take Nate despite the money he's getting in San Francisco. I'm also in favor of taking a CB in Round 1 of the draft to compete for the starting position to hopefully put McGee or Greer back where they deserve as reserve CBs.
For the amount of time per play our CBs were asked to cover for they did a great job. If our pass rush was like NY's McGee and Greer would get 10 picks each.

mysticsoto
03-11-2008, 07:24 AM

I'd take Nate over McGee too, but that doesn't mean McGee isn't good value for what he's making.

When you allow a QB to have all day to throw, your CBs will get beat even if they are Deion Sanders in their prime.

bigbub2352
03-11-2008, 09:24 AM
i am sorry i thought we signed Roscoe to a pretty lucarative ext, i didnt realize we are trying to sign him again, LOL, same player what are we thinking, he will help nothing, go after someone with size, we dont need KR/PR, they are here, come on RUSs wtf