PDA

View Full Version : good QB class this year in college

H2OBFLO
08-24-2002, 03:49 PM
One of these guys could be our next #1 QB
They're being compared to the class of '83, we sure did well then (JIMBO)! :bravo:

The_Philster
08-24-2002, 04:47 PM
That's quite high praise. Three HOF QBs came from the '83 class.

SoCalBillsFan
08-24-2002, 04:54 PM
This QB class has a LOT of guys with tons of potential. SOme people think there will be up to 9 or ten qb's that go in the first couple rounds.

Alluro
08-25-2002, 05:44 AM
the Bills should take Drew in the 2nd round...Drew Henson. we might have to wait a year or so for him to flop in baseball but he has john elway type talent

WG
08-25-2002, 06:07 AM
Yeah right!

No, we traded for Drew.

W/ one lone pick in round 2, we have no choice but to take a DT or DE. Anything else, barring some bizarre trade, and TD should get fired before next season even begins.

We can forget about all the top QBs coming out this year however. There's too many other teams that will take them and w/o a first round pick, it just won't happen. That's why I was in favor of beefing up our DL first, grabbing Chandler, and getting a QB next year. Difference of opinion w/ mgt. I guess. Sure doesn't sound like the approach they chose is gonna yield us much though.

Time will tell... ;)

WG
08-25-2002, 06:08 AM
Besides, if Bledsoe doesn't work out, this will hurt us for years to come.

Drew's our QB now, and it's not gonna be good if he isn't the answer. There's no sense in drafting a QB who's gonna want to start w/ Drew here.

If this trade is gonna work out, you can count on Drew being our starter for at least 5 or 6 seasons.

Buffatexas
08-25-2002, 06:58 AM
I think that the Bills will seek veteran help on defense instead of going through the draft. I think that if Byron Leftwich, QB from Marshall, drops to our pick in the second round, we should take him. Bledsoe is a great leader and I really dont think that Travis Brown would be the "heir apparent"

WG
08-25-2002, 07:06 AM
Hey Buffatexas,

Welcome to the BillsZone!!!

Either way, I just can't see us going for another big name QB as long as Drew's on the team and playing effectively. It simply doesn't make any sense.

Besides, we can't afford to be picky as to where we get DL help. Our problems will have compounded by next offseason since we completely neglected it this offseason.

Buffatexas
08-25-2002, 07:13 AM
Thanks Wys, I am basing that on the fact that if Bledsoe has a good 3-5 years left in a Bills uniform, we could take a QB and let him learn from Drew so that way when Drew does hang it up, we won't go through a Todd Collins/Rob Johnson/Doug Flutie fiasco.

WG
08-25-2002, 07:36 AM
We have way too many concerns to be selecting a QB w/ our precious 2nd round pick next year for "grooming" for 5 years from now. Besides, that planning horizon is way too long for the NFL these days. When you draft a player, or pick one up as a FA, you'd better have plans for immediate use (w/in 2 years) or it's simply not worth it unless they're a backup.

WG
08-25-2002, 07:39 AM
BTW, if Bledsoe isn't what we hope he'll be, that opens up an entirely different scenario. IMO we put all of our eggs in his basket this offseason. Our offseason will be rated on how well Drew plays this year. He really needs to be up there w/ his best seasons and even then he'll need to be more consistent if this trade is going to have been worth it.

Otherwise, we neglected an awful lot of the other aspects of the team in exchange. We could have had two other stellar DL or OL and Chandler, AND a first rounder next year. IMO that'd have been the wiser move. Then drafting a QB next year would have been something to look at. It's not an option now.

The_Philster
08-25-2002, 08:04 AM
You don't draft a QB to be the starter down the road unless down the road is a year or so away. Look at Drew Brees. You think Marty would have been smart to wait until Flutie retired to start Drew?

HenryRules
08-25-2002, 08:23 AM
I don't think we should grab one of the QB's with our second rounder, but judging by the number available this year, it'd be quite reasonable that one of them would still be around come our 3rd or 4th round pick. At this time, I think it'd be great value to grab one of the QB's. 3rd or 4th rounders are normally project picks anyway, and if the QB gets ready earlier, then we can trade him for a 1st rounder in a year or two. Not a bad investment, IMO.

JefftheBillsfan
08-25-2002, 10:11 AM
the bills better go after a DT/DE next year...they needed to this year IMO.

The_Philster
08-25-2002, 11:01 AM
They needed a DT last year. I'm still :angry: at the Rams for snagging Damione Lewis.

WG
08-25-2002, 11:14 AM
HR,

None of the QBs that are going to make this draft class special regarding QBs will be available after early round 2. There's speculation that between 6 and 9 QBs will go in the first round next year.

HenryRules
08-25-2002, 11:42 AM
I hear different reports at all times. Sometimes guys like Dorsey are supposed to drop to round 5, sometimes they're first rounders.
Also, with all the QB's that have been taken in the first 2 rounds in the last couple of years (3 in 2002 and 4 in 2001) I don't really see that big of a run on early round QB's regardless of their talent level.

Alluro
08-25-2002, 03:46 PM
Those rookies are going to take a few years to develop. we can address the defensive woes through free agency next season instead of handing out the same amount of talent to an unproven rookie talent.

SoCalBillsFan
08-25-2002, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by Buffatexas
I think that if Byron Leftwich, QB from Marshall, drops to our pick in the second round, we should take him.

No way that happens. Leftwich will be gone in the first, aome even think he'll be the first one taken.

DraftBoy
08-25-2002, 06:45 PM
A guy to watch for us to take in the 3rd or 4th round maybe Seneca Wallace, for those of you who watched the FSU-ISU game last night saw a bit of what he brings to the table and remeber he has no real good WR to throw too. He is better than Thomas in my mind and in the Mcnab like form. My QB rankings:
1. Leftwich
2. Dorsey
3. Palmer
4. Ragone
5. Kingsbury
6. Wallace

SoCalBillsFan
08-25-2002, 06:58 PM
Winfield, that ISU-FSU game was awesome, and I liked what wallace brought to the table. He was VERY quick and threw a nice deep ball as well. He made some big plays, including the one that got them down to the one at the end of the game.

You have carson palmer as number 3? I don't know about that. It seriously is rob johnson all over again. I watched him all last season, and I'll see every game again this season, and unless he shows some improvement I wouldn't want him on the bills. He has great physical tools, a cannon arm and an amazing build for a QB, good speed- the works. But he makes poor decisions and needs to improve his touch and accuracy. More int's than TD's last year was not good. Plus he made some VERY bad decisions, one of which cost USC the game against oregon. Hopefuly that will improve.

Bert102176
08-25-2002, 08:56 PM
hey Buffatexas welcome to the club

Bert102176
08-25-2002, 08:58 PM
plus we may have a compensational pick for sam cowart if he does good it could be an extra 3rd round pick

BigMike68
08-26-2002, 09:11 AM
Welsome Buff texas but heres a reality check in case your not aware Leftwhich won't fall past pick 2 insted of round 2.

Earthquake Enyart
08-26-2002, 10:03 AM
The more teams that select QB's, the more "other" players will be there in round 2.

Boy, Grossman and Simms don't get much love here, do they? They might be worth a shot in round 4 or beyond.

Butch
08-26-2002, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by Winfield_26
A guy to watch for us to take in the 3rd or 4th round maybe Seneca Wallace, for those of you who watched the FSU-ISU game last night saw a bit of what he brings to the table and remeber he has no real good WR to throw too. He is better than Thomas in my mind and in the Mcnab like form. My QB rankings:
1. Leftwich
2. Dorsey
3. Palmer
4. Ragone
5. Kingsbury
6. Wallace

Seneca Wallace might get drafted in the 3rd or 4th round, but it won't be as a QB. He is under 6 feet tall and weighs about 190 pounds.

If you have Carson Palmer at 3, you should have Chris Simms right up there with him. Both have underachieved and both have the great tools.

DraftBoy
08-26-2002, 01:36 PM
I probably should have said, that is a senior only list. My bad! :tomato:

Butch, Seneca Wallace probably wil be drafted as QB since he has played no other possition since HS. It would be a risk to take him for any other posistion, besides that he isnt far under 6 feet tall. As for being 190, he could easily gain wieght to 205. I mean I dont see him as anything but a QB.

HenryRules
08-26-2002, 02:41 PM
W26, what made you change your mind on the top spot? I thought in an earlier post you had Dorsey as your #1.

lordofgun
08-26-2002, 02:47 PM
We're gonna have money to go after some Free Agents to help on the DL. If the right QB fell to us at #2, I'd have no problem with taking one. That said, IF we take one, I think it'll be in the 3rd or 4th. Like EE said, I hope 15 QBs are taken in the first so a better position player falls to us. :D

Butch
08-26-2002, 09:42 PM
I probably should have said, that is a senior only list. My bad! :tomato:

Butch, Seneca Wallace probably wil be drafted as QB since he has played no other possition since HS. It would be a risk to take him for any other posistion, besides that he isnt far under 6 feet tall. As for being 190, he could easily gain wieght to 205. I mean I dont see him as anything but a QB.

The same could also be said for Eric Crouch and Scott Frost as well. Randle-El played very little WR in college but that is what he got drafted as. Look at Kordell Stewart also, all he played in college was QB but played WR for his first few seasons.

We'll have to wait and see though, but the odds of Wallace getting drafted as a QB exclusively are relatively low.

SoCalBillsFan
08-26-2002, 11:04 PM
josh reed is 5-10 right? Wallace could be a receiver.

WG
08-27-2002, 12:31 AM
Did we even make a move for him Philster?

I agree. We've already neglected our DL to the point where it's gross negligence. To not use our pick to grab a DT/DE would be ludicrous unless we grab a few in FAcy.

lordofgun
08-27-2002, 12:36 AM
There's no doubt in my mind that we'll address the DL in the offseason. The only question is by which route.

WG
08-27-2002, 12:41 AM
The only question is why didn't we this year. We had the ability to sign at least one guy. A good DT may have been all the difference.

I'm sure we could find a speed guy on our current roster for DE to make the 46 work.

Sabre Ally
08-27-2002, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by Butch

The same could also be said for Eric Crouch and Scott Frost as well. Randle-El played very little WR in college but that is what he got drafted as. Look at Kordell Stewart also, all he played in college was QB but played WR for his first few seasons.

We'll have to wait and see though, but the odds of Wallace getting drafted as a QB exclusively are relatively low.

Ah, but Crouch and Frost also played for the option-happy Huskers. It's not likely they would have made it as QB's in the NFL because they would first have to learn how to be QB's all over again. Frost had this weird side-arm throwing motion that made the ball travel weird, too.

DraftBoy
08-27-2002, 01:39 PM
HR, after I took such cirticism for my first rankings I went back and relooked at them, and actually went to a friend down and florida to talk to him about stuff and this actually came up, since he goes to UM i got to see some of their spring drill sand Dorsey looked bad. So I changed it.

Secondly Randle El played WR in college, Crouch and Frost played in the option system of Nebraska. ISU plays in a run and gun type offense. Wallace would need to be drafted as a QB (like Kordell) becauyse if he had to play a diffrent posistion I think he would stink.

The_Philster
08-27-2002, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by Wys Guy
Did we even make a move for him Philster?
No but, besides the fact that Clements is so good, I was :pray: ing Daminoe Lewis would land in Buffalo.

DraftBoy
08-27-2002, 03:44 PM
What has Lewis done so far? Anything special?

The_Philster
08-27-2002, 04:06 PM
No....not yet. But I loved his motor coming out of college and thought he would be a great fit. Maybe he won't fit in right for much longer with the Rams and we can get him after all.

Butch
08-27-2002, 04:07 PM
HR, after I took such cirticism for my first rankings I went back and relooked at them, and actually went to a friend down and florida to talk to him about stuff and this actually came up, since he goes to UM i got to see some of their spring drill sand Dorsey looked bad. So I changed it.

Secondly Randle El played WR in college, Crouch and Frost played in the option system of Nebraska. ISU plays in a run and gun type offense. Wallace would need to be drafted as a QB (like Kordell) becauyse if he had to play a diffrent posistion I think he would stink.

Like I said, Randle El played some WR in college, but very little. They moved him back to QB because that was where he could help the team the most. Just because he played a handful of games at WR, it doesn't automatically qualify him as an NFL caliber WR. Crouch and Frost played in an option system, but what does that have to do with Scott Frost being drafted as a Safety and Crouch as a WR?

Seneca Wallace is a great athlete who happens to play QB for a bad team, his future isn't as a QB. That's just my opinion.

DraftBoy
08-27-2002, 05:05 PM
I see your opinion as you state but, the thing I dont if your are seeing is that Crouch like Frost never really played as a true QB (pocket passer), which is why a move would seem likely. As for Randel-El since he did start at other possitions it was easy to see that he would be moved. After last saturday nights come from behind comeback against FSU you gotta say that Wallace has some very adimate QB talent that can not be denied by NFL scouts. I have never seen a QB moved from QB to S, or WR in the NFL that actually worked out.

Butch
08-27-2002, 10:10 PM
I see your opinion as you state but, the thing I dont if your are seeing is that Crouch like Frost never really played as a true QB (pocket passer), which is why a move would seem likely. As for Randel-El since he did start at other possitions it was easy to see that he would be moved. After last saturday nights come from behind comeback against FSU you gotta say that Wallace has some very adimate QB talent that can not be denied by NFL scouts. I have never seen a QB moved from QB to S, or WR in the NFL that actually worked out.

You've probably never seen one that has worked out because it hasn't happened more than a half a dozen times. You have to admit that Kordell was very good when he played WR. Randle-El has looked impressive, but he did play a little WR in college. I see Seneca Wallace as Charlie Ward or Major Harris (QB for West Viginia in the late 80's), but we'll wait and see how the season plays out.