PDA

View Full Version : Bills to meet with James

PECKERWOOD
03-11-2008, 12:38 PM
Per kffl

http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#455912

Nothing too big, probably just a depth guy if he even gets signed at all.

Mahdi
03-11-2008, 12:48 PM
Haha thats funny... I just posted a thread with FAs I wouldnt mind and I had him up there...

He would be a good depth addition.

bigbub2352
03-11-2008, 12:54 PM
if we sign him we dont need to draft a cb unless he is to be the starter, like Cromartie

Tatonka
03-11-2008, 01:05 PM
i was hoping you meant brady james.

northernbillfan
03-11-2008, 01:10 PM
KFFL has problems reporting real nes tho. They are a speculative site at best.

If you throw out 10 rumors and one or two is right, you look like a genius.

Mahdi
03-11-2008, 01:12 PM
KFFL has problems reporting real nes tho. They are a speculative site at best.

If you throw out 10 rumors and one or two is right, you look like a genius.
I have found KFFL to be right on most of the time... in fact I havent read anything on there that wasnt true this offseason.

northernbillfan
03-11-2008, 01:17 PM
I have found KFFL to be right on most of the time... in fact I havent read anything on there that wasnt true this offseason.Then they must have gotten a bit better. I know we used to use them a news source here for our front page (http://www.billszone.com/) but found them to be unreliable, but that was a couple years ago.

Jeff1220
03-11-2008, 01:23 PM
I believe KFFL only reports what it finds in other news sources. They don't produce their own material.

yordad
03-11-2008, 01:31 PM
I heard the Bills were just pumping him for Lito Shepard info.

Oaf
03-11-2008, 02:35 PM
i was hoping you meant brady james.
I was thinking LeBron.

Buffatexas
03-11-2008, 02:49 PM
I would have gone with Rick, being a WNY'er and all

bflojohn
03-11-2008, 03:51 PM
Sirius NFL Radio's "Moving the Chains" show confirms this story. The guy was once known as William Peterson, and he was a high pick of the New York Giants. Hurt a knee several seasons ago! IMO, he is the equivalant of the Webster signing last year.

Jan Reimers
03-11-2008, 04:32 PM
Shoot. I thought Robert was coming back.

TigerJ
03-11-2008, 04:58 PM
I was thinking Orenthal James, but I understand he has off field issues.

patmoran2006
03-11-2008, 06:10 PM
Depth.. Depth.. Depth... GOD I'm so sick of hearing that word.

You know what word I'd LOVE to start hearing?

"STARTER"

Mr. Miyagi
03-11-2008, 10:40 PM
Who the hell is "James"??

That KFFL link is useless. When it updates it just pushes everything else down so you have no idea what the link was supposed to reference.

jimbohastle51
03-11-2008, 11:40 PM
would be very cheap and a good vetran for leadership. we definatly need to take a corner with one of our top pics but for a year or 2 couldnt hurt to have a vet like james here. greer and mcgee are pretty well entrenched as starters or we would have already signed one but youboty and james could deffinatly compete for the nickle spot. IMO i would love to see us draft DRC with 11, and try to trade back up in the first round at like 17-22 somewhere in there and draft either kelly or sweed, one will fall to be middle or late of the first, if not marcus monk will be there in the 3rd or forth out of arkansas, and he is 6'7 and could be a nice project. i guess really depends on what happens with bryant johnson. if we sign bryant johnson 2 a 3.5 million a year contract i dont see us taking a WR in the first round. between evans, parrish new deal he signed durning the season it would be too much money at WR to take a WR that high, but a shutdown corner is always useful!

lordofgun
03-11-2008, 11:43 PM
I must be very important.

LifetimeBillsFan
03-12-2008, 01:57 AM
Sirius NFL Radio's "Moving the Chains" show confirms this story. The guy was once known as William Peterson, and he was a high pick of the New York Giants. Hurt a knee several seasons ago! IMO, he is the equivalant of the Webster signing last year.

I didn't realize that he had changed his last name to James.

If this is the William Peterson (now James) who was with the Giants a few years ago, he would not be a bad pick-up for the Bills.

Peterson/James was 1/2 of the highly-touted CB duo that the Giants drafted and put into their starting lineup as rookies along with Will Allen. Peterson was really coming along nicely and was definitely the better of the two young CBs when he suffered a couple of bad injuries that sidelined him. Initially, the Giants kept him, even though he was hurt and had a relatively high cap number, hoping to get him back, but he tried to play before he was fully recovered and got hurt again.

He was out with his injuries for so long that, ultimately, the Giants felt that they had to cut him loose and go in a different direction at CB. That's when I lost track of him. FYI: If I'm not mistaken, that's when the Giants drafted C.Webster, the CB from LSU that a number of people here were hoping that the Bills would draft, to replace Peterson/James. As it turned out, Webster was slow developing and considered something of a bust--twice losing his starting job and falling down the depth chart until he was buried on the bench for most of this season--until he surprisingly started to play well when pressed into service at the end of this past season and then in the playoffs, where he ended up getting an INT on B.Favre's last pass of his career.)

Now, I don't know what, if anything, Peterson/James has done since leaving the Giants or even what role he played with Philly this past season, but, with Sheppard and Brown as their starting CBs and the other young DB that Philly has on their roster, I doubt that Peterson/James was anything more than a nickleback or dimeback for the Eagles.

Still, if he's healthy, even if he has lost a little as a result of his past injuries, Peterson/James could help the Bills as a replacement for K.Thomas. If I remember correctly, he is a bit bigger than any of the CBs that the Bills currently have on their roster and could be used in their zone coverages against some of the bigger WRs that the Bills will have to face. Additionally, when he was with the Giants before he got hurt, he was their # 1 CB and matched up every week with their opponents' best WR and did reasonably well. So, he does have some coverage skills--or at least the instincts to be good in coverage.

If the Bills do sign Peterson/James it would be a lower-case signing to be sure. But, it could also be one that would help the team as well. With teams running 3, 4 and even 5 WR sets, a defense has to have 5 and even 6 CBs on its roster--and not all of them are going to be starting quality guys. Peterson/James was a starting quality CB who was starting to blossom before he got hurt, who has starting experience, size and some decent coverage skills. While his injuries may have robbed him of some of his speed and, as a result, he may no longer be capable of being a starting caliber, let alone "shutdown" CB, his experience and instincts alone should make him at least capable of being a decent 4th or 5th CB--and, perhaps, he may even be capable of pushing Youboty for the nickleback job (which can only help Youboty's development).

So, while this might not be a major signing, if Peterson/James is healthy and the Bills do sign him, he could fill a roster spot that will have to be filled and bring something to the team that it could use in its secondary: some size and experience. And, IMHO that would make it a decent (not great) addition to the team.

Mahdi
03-12-2008, 07:07 AM
I didn't realize that he had changed his last name to James.

If this is the William Peterson (now James) who was with the Giants a few years ago, he would not be a bad pick-up for the Bills.

Peterson/James was 1/2 of the highly-touted CB duo that the Giants drafted and put into their starting lineup as rookies along with Will Allen. Peterson was really coming along nicely and was definitely the better of the two young CBs when he suffered a couple of bad injuries that sidelined him. Initially, the Giants kept him, even though he was hurt and had a relatively high cap number, hoping to get him back, but he tried to play before he was fully recovered and got hurt again.

He was out with his injuries for so long that, ultimately, the Giants felt that they had to cut him loose and go in a different direction at CB. That's when I lost track of him. FYI: If I'm not mistaken, that's when the Giants drafted C.Webster, the CB from LSU that a number of people here were hoping that the Bills would draft, to replace Peterson/James. As it turned out, Webster was slow developing and considered something of a bust--twice losing his starting job and falling down the depth chart until he was buried on the bench for most of this season--until he surprisingly started to play well when pressed into service at the end of this past season and then in the playoffs, where he ended up getting an INT on B.Favre's last pass of his career.)

Now, I don't know what, if anything, Peterson/James has done since leaving the Giants or even what role he played with Philly this past season, but, with Sheppard and Brown as their starting CBs and the other young DB that Philly has on their roster, I doubt that Peterson/James was anything more than a nickleback or dimeback for the Eagles.

Still, if he's healthy, even if he has lost a little as a result of his past injuries, Peterson/James could help the Bills as a replacement for K.Thomas. If I remember correctly, he is a bit bigger than any of the CBs that the Bills currently have on their roster and could be used in their zone coverages against some of the bigger WRs that the Bills will have to face. Additionally, when he was with the Giants before he got hurt, he was their # 1 CB and matched up every week with their opponents' best WR and did reasonably well. So, he does have some coverage skills--or at least the instincts to be good in coverage.

If the Bills do sign Peterson/James it would be a lower-case signing to be sure. But, it could also be one that would help the team as well. With teams running 3, 4 and even 5 WR sets, a defense has to have 5 and even 6 CBs on its roster--and not all of them are going to be starting quality guys. Peterson/James was a starting quality CB who was starting to blossom before he got hurt, who has starting experience, size and some decent coverage skills. While his injuries may have robbed him of some of his speed and, as a result, he may no longer be capable of being a starting caliber, let alone "shutdown" CB, his experience and instincts alone should make him at least capable of being a decent 4th or 5th CB--and, perhaps, he may even be capable of pushing Youboty for the nickleback job (which can only help Youboty's development).

So, while this might not be a major signing, if Peterson/James is healthy and the Bills do sign him, he could fill a roster spot that will have to be filled and bring something to the team that it could use in its secondary: some size and experience. And, IMHO that would make it a decent (not great) addition to the team.
http://ezinearticles.com/?Eagles:-Peterson-Signs-Deal-and-Changes-His-Name&id=397501

Yer right.... It is Will Peterson.

FlyingDutchman
03-12-2008, 10:43 AM
IMO, he is the equivalant of the Webster signing last year. agreed

The Jokeman
03-12-2008, 10:49 AM
The year he came out I thought Peterson/James be a good mid round guy to take a chance on as remember he transferred from Michigan to Western Illinois. While he hasn't shown to be as good as originally thought I do think he'd be an upgrade for Youboty and take a chance on him. At worst he's a nickel or dime back and if can get him on the cheap nothing wrong with that.