• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • blackonyx89
    HI I AM A FREAKING LIONS FAN
    • Mar 2005

Elliot Spitzer and the Bills

This is an awful time for Spitzer to be in scandal. He was the man that had the Bills back as far as keeping the team here,but now he's on the outs, I don't know if the Lt. Governor soon to be named Governor is going to push as hard to keep the Bills here. Are you concerned?
    Let's Go Bills, make it happen!!!
  • Jan Reimers
    Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
    • May 2003

Originally posted by blackonyx89
    This is an awful time for Spitzer to be in scandal. He was the man that had the Bills back as far as keeping the team here,but now he's on the outs, I don't know if the Lt. Governor soon to be named Governor is going to push as hard to keep the Bills here. Are you concerned?
    Only if Ralph was involved with the same prostitution ring.

Seriously, no politician is going to keep the Bills in Buffalo as long as Ralph is Hell bent on his "sell to the highest bidder" approach.
    Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• TigerJ
      • Jul 2002

On the other hand, I would assume almost any governor is going to see the political advantages of being a Bills backer.
      I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• Mitchy moo
        Roways rooking ahread!
        • Sep 2005

The new gov. might be even more aggressive in keeping the Bills in WNY.

Comment

• blackonyx89
          HI I AM A FREAKING LIONS FAN
          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Skooby
          The new gov. might be even more aggressive in keeping the Bills in WNY.
          Especially and hopefully if the new governor wants a fresh new 4 years in office!!!
          Let's Go Bills, make it happen!!!

Comment

• Oldbillsfan
            shelby's big brother smilie smilie
            • Mar 2007

Nobody is going to "push as hard" as Spitzer? lol

I argee, the issue wll proably get even more attention from someone new to collect more votes.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
              • May 2003

Any governor - or senator, representative, mayor or county executive - can do a lot of arm-twisting and jawboning. They can also provide economic incentives that would be attractive to local Bills' ownership.

But the NFL is ultimately a private enterprise, franchise relocations are voted on by the owners, and Ralph's highest bidder approach will most likely mean that the Bills go elsewhere, despite the best efforts of local, state and national politicians.
              Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• superbills
                • Mar 2003

The Lt. Governor seems like a guy who's actually less of a politician and more a guy who means what he says and will take action. Governor Spitz-er-Swallows was strictly a politico looking out for Number One. Unless he benefited directly, he was never going to be serious about helping this team. If the new gov. sees that the state and our region are serious about keeping the team here, I'm sure he'll be on board with whatever action needs to be taken to ensure an ownership group has the tools to make the organization viable long-term.
                "The government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."
                Ronald Reagan
                40th president of US (1911 - 2004)

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                  • May 2003

I don't understand why most of you fail to see the obvious. Politicians cannot save this franchise. And the Bills' moving has nothing to do with the state of the WNY economy.

I think there will be a local group that will want to buy the Bills and keep them in Buffalo, despite all of the problems associated with a small market team in a depressed economic area. I think our governor, U.S. Senators and other influential politicians will support that effort to the hilt.

But if Ralph insists on putting the Bills on the auction block, our local group will be outbid, the other greedy owners will approve the sale, and the Bills will be gone.

Comment

• Night Train
                    Retired - On Several Levels
                    • Jul 2005

Sen. Chuck Schumer has been the most vocal and active Pro Bills politician. Spitzer wasn't doing much of anything, outside of getting his needle waxed.
                    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• TigerJ
                      • Jul 2002

You're right, of course, Jan. If an owner is hell bent on moving a franchise, there's little any govenment official can do. Maybe they can rattle the anti-trust sabre a bit, but not much else. Officials can do some things sometimes in the way of incentives to help an owner change his mind about wanting to move, but there are no guarantees anything will work. Still, it's better to have elected officials who support the ongoing presence of a sports franchise than those who don't care.
                      I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• Bill Brasky
                        Drives an ice cream truck covered in human skulls
                        • Jan 2004

The only politician that seems to have shown a genuine interest is Schumer.

I don't think it really matters. Ralph wants top dollar. It will go to the highest bidder. Cherish these times.

Comment

• venis2k1
                          Youboty can hope
                          • Jul 2002

Spitzer swallows.

Comment

• Johnny Bugmenot
                            Will not tolerate vandalism.
                            • Apr 2006

Originally posted by blackonyx89
                            Especially and hopefully if the new governor wants a fresh new 4 years in office!!!
                            He's a downstate liberal just like the rest of our politicians. He could win NYC and Long Island 80-20 and our votes wouldn't count one iota.

Politicians care about this area as much as the British cared about Africa. They don't call New York the Empire State for nothing.

Comment

• DMBcrew36
                              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Johnny Bugmenot
                              He's a downstate liberal just like the rest of our politicians. He could win NYC and Long Island 80-20 and our votes wouldn't count one iota.

Politicians care about this area as much as the British cared about Africa. They don't call New York the Empire State for nothing.

Actually... Byron Brown and the new blind guy are good buddies....

Comment

Working...
                              X