PDA

View Full Version : Storm clouds gather and lockout looms large in NFL labor strife

Michael82
03-12-2008, 12:15 PM
"That's where we're headed. They're going to try to lock us out," NFL Players Association leader Gene Upshaw told ESPN.com this week.

Beneath the surface of this increasingly rancorous dispute is the bargain the players and the owners made in March 2006, an agreement that provided significant increases for players in salaries and bonuses. Instead of 55.5 percent of NFL revenues, the players now are entitled to 60 percent. The salary cap has jumped from $85.5 million per team in 2005 to an expected $123 million per team in 2009, an increase of 43 percent.

Although the owners agreed to those increases, they are not happy about their decision. A number of owners claim their profits have dropped from 10 percent each year to only 4 percent since the 2006 bargain was struck.

"They think [the current deal] is too rich for the players, and they want to take some back," Upshaw observed.

It is no surprise that the players will decline the opportunity to give anything back.

Although there is some dispute over the owners' claims of declining profits, there is no doubt that what had been 15 years of a mostly harmonious partnership since the historic free agency and salary-cap agreement of 1993 is turning into a brawl. If the fight continues at its current intensity, the owners will seize their first opportunity to terminate the current contract and start the process that will lead to a confrontation and a lockout in the 2011 season.

The first step is to opt out of the contract, a move the owners must and probably will make between now and November.

Under the terms of the player-owner agreement, the owners' termination of the contract will trigger two more years of salary-cap football, then the 2010 season will be played without a cap on salaries. After the 2010 season and the college draft in spring 2011, the players and owners will be at a critical crossroads.

Upshaw and others involved in NFL labor issues expect the owners to announce that the players will be locked out of training camps, putting the 2011 season in jeopardy. An NFL lockout would come six years after the National Hockey League locked out its players, which killed the 2005-06 NHL season.

The NFL's union, according to Upshaw, will counter with decertification, which means it will give up its role as the official labor organization of NFL players and become a trade association.

"How can they lock us out if we are not a union?" Upshaw said.

Jeffrey Kessler, a union attorney who was a leader of the court fight that led to the 1993 restructuring of the NFL, added: "If you lock out players who do not have a union, it is an antitrust violation."

The battle will lead to the same kind of litigation that began after the players' unsuccessful strike in 1987 and led to the 1993 settlement that allowed owners and players alike to prosper for 15 years. It will be a high-stakes struggle, as the players will seek to duplicate their triumphs in the early '90s with demands for triple damages and injunctions.

But it also might lead to the loss of all or part of the 2011 season.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?id=3288568

Michael82
03-12-2008, 12:16 PM
Wow! Could both sides really be this stupid and ruin one of the best businesses/sports in the country and cancel a season? :shocked:

I didn't think anyone would be as stupid as the NHL was. Look at them now. Nobody cares! :ill:

Mitchy moo
03-12-2008, 12:24 PM
I thought the players union would say sure we want to give money back. This is just posturing by the owners to keep the status quo.

Dr. Lecter
03-12-2008, 12:24 PM
Ralph is stupid and senile.

Stewie
03-12-2008, 12:28 PM
Gene upshaw makes 6million dollars a year. Maybe he should give some of it back.

Michael82
03-12-2008, 12:44 PM
:rofl: It's hard to believe that Ralph was the one everybody laughed at when he refused to sign off on the new CBA and said it was a bad deal for the owners. It looks like he was right. Just like he was right about going to the cash to the cap too. :up:

SquishDaFish
03-12-2008, 12:56 PM
Hmmm and everyone was ripping on Ralph when he didnt want to sign that crap. Whos laughing now?? Whos Cheap now??
Who was smart then?? RAPLH thats who! WTG RALPH

Bill Brasky
03-12-2008, 01:07 PM

:rofl:!!!1

don137
03-12-2008, 01:19 PM
Lets face it the league turned into a league of 'the haves' and 'the have nots'. Unless their is more revenue sharing some teams do not have the financial where with all to compete at the same level. It already has turned into into major league baseball in many levels.

Bill Brasky
03-12-2008, 01:21 PM
Lets face it the league turned into a league of 'the haves' and 'the have nots'. Unless their is more revenue sharing some teams do not have the financial where with all to compete at the same level. It already has turned into into major league baseball in many levels.

I blame Bush.... and Al Davis.

Michael82
03-12-2008, 01:35 PM
I blame Bush.... and Al Davis.
I blame Bush.... and Jerry Jones! They are both the devil!

Bill Brasky
03-12-2008, 01:52 PM
Seriously, though, I think we all saw this coming.

Overpaid players who think they are entitled to everything on the planet + Owners who want the entire US economy at their feet + fans who just wanna watch some football but end up devoting a months salary for tickets = bad news.

Upshaw has done nothing good for this league. He's as bad as Jones, Snyder, and Davis.

ddaryl
03-12-2008, 02:56 PM
Greed is an ugly thing and it is ruining this country....

You can see what is happening in pro sports and then you can almost translate it into everyday society...

Milk the little guy for every penny... grab as much as you can for yourself and don't worry about anyone else. Make as much as you can and screw the consequences

yordad
03-12-2008, 03:30 PM
I will cross that picket line. Where is my helmet coach?

Oh yeah, pretty funny Lector.

Night Train
03-12-2008, 03:34 PM
Good.

Blow up the NFL and let a new league start playing during the lockout. The Bills would be gone within 4 years in the currect economics anyhow.

PromoTheRobot
03-12-2008, 03:37 PM
The NFL owners have the three geniuses to thank: Jerry Jones, Bob Kraft, and Dan Snyder. Those are the guys who railroaded this agreement. Oh yeah, and the senile guy, Ralph Wilson? Turns out he was right. How 'bout that.

PTR

Michael82
03-12-2008, 03:44 PM
The NFL owners have the three geniuses to thank: Jerry Jones, Bob Kraft, and Dan Snyder. Those are the guys who railroaded this agreement. Oh yeah, and the senile guy, Ralph Wilson? Turns out he was right. How 'bout that.

PTR
Excellent post! :bf1:

gr8slayer
03-13-2008, 04:11 PM
I blame Bush.... and Jerry Jones! They are both the devil!
No offense but this post is an idiot.

Buffalo and Cleveland have spent far more money than the Cowboys have the past two seasons. Where is the hatred coming from, we have the same opportunity to succeed.

Michael82
03-13-2008, 04:53 PM
No offense but this post is an idiot.

Buffalo and Cleveland have spent far more money than the Cowboys have the past two seasons. Where is the hatred coming from, we have the same opportunity to succeed.
:rofl: I was making a joke!