• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Answer
    The Plagiarist
    • Mar 2007

Trent Edwards: Built to Lead

Stay up to date with all the Buffalo Bills football news, free agency, NFL draft, and more at 247Sports.com

Trent Edwards: Built to Lead

Getty Images

By Tyler Dunne
    BFR Editor-in-Chief
    Posted Mar 11, 2008

Buffalo has searched high and low for a franchise quarterback since Jim Kelly retired 11 years ago. But last season, rookie Trent Edwards provided hope that the search may be over. A clutch mentality and textbook fundamentals have Edwards on the fast track to success. Read on for analysis...

There’s something about losing.

That regretful repulsion on the tip of your taste buds. Feeling, check that, knowing, that you could have done something more.

The blunt reality that a week’s worth of preparation, audible organizing, game-planning, Xs and Os – all of which dominated over class work and college life – might’ve well of been tossed in the trash. An ‘L’ is an ‘L.’

The constant licks from pass rushers. The humiliation of being a campus punch line.

No doubt about it. Failure builds layers. And Trent Edwards knows failure...........

~The Answer

• The King
    Without me it's just Awe so
    • Jun 2004

The Real Deal
    I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
    "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
    You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
    It was all
    true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
    He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
    mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• justasportsfan
      • Jul 2002

I hope our search for the next Kelly is over.
      sacrifice1
      https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Kenny
        • Aug 2004

blah blah blah.... Let's see it on the field first.

Comment

• acehole
          • Jan 2006

Originally posted by justasportsfan
          I hope our search for the next Kelly is over.
          hahaha Jim Kelly was tough...Edwards will never be confused with J kelly
          Hated by the stupid..
          Loved by their moms.

Comment

• justasportsfan
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by acehole
            hahaha Jim Kelly was tough...Edwards will never be confused with J kelly
            To be fair, TE has huge potential. He's handled himself very well for a rookie qb who was thrown to the wolves. I was impressed, so far . My only concern is his durability.
            sacrifice1

Comment

• Mitchy moo
              Roways rooking ahread!
              • Sep 2005

To be fair, TE has huge potential. He's handled himself very well for a rookie qb who was thrown to the wolves. I was impressed, so far . My only concern is his durability.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Skooby
                I never disliked Trent. I like the potential of both our qb's.
                sacrifice1

Comment

• acehole
                  • Jan 2006

I agree he has handle himself well and I wish him well. However I don't think he has proven squat on this team yet. I remain underwelmed. If I am opposing deffense I will put 8 in the box to stop marshawn and send one run blitzer at him..why? A he is not durable B. He has a propesity for int's C. He has not shown(at this piont) he has the arm to make all the throws in the nfl. You need to fire those passes on hot reads.

My hope it that we get a good #2 wr a tight end and a deffense that can stop the run finally......and he improves on what "I" saw in him last year (The above).

My fear is that we have all of those pieces in place and he struggles because of the above.

We shall all see.
                  Hated by the stupid..
                  Loved by their moms.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by acehole
                    I agree he has handle himself well and I wish him well. However I don't think he has proven squat on this team yet. I remain underwelmed. If I am opposing deffense I will put 8 in the box to stop marshawn and send one run blitzer at him..why? A he is not durable B. He has a propesity for int's C. He has not shown(at this piont) he has the arm to make all the throws in the nfl. You need to fire those passed on hot reads.

My hope it that we get a good #2 wr a tight end and a deffense that can stop the run finally......and he improves on what "I" saw in him last year (The above).

My fear is that we have all of those pieces in place and he struggles because of the above.

We shall all see.
                    I agree. He's not proven. I disagree, he's shown he had the arm to make every throw but needs to do it on a consistent basis . Throwing in bad conditions worries me as well.
                    sacrifice1

Comment

• raphael120
                      Jason Peters rigorous at home training regiment
                      • Oct 2005

Wow our offense was ranked 27th or worse 5 straight seasons....

Not that I should be suprised but...damn...that's so sad.

Comment

• Tatonka
                        • Jul 2002

i hope he does well. good article.
                        "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• Captain gameboy
                          • Jul 2002

The bottom line of Edwards vs. Losman is this.

We face multiples more situations where a short completion is required.

I liked Losman, but the guy has accuracy problems on throws that do not involve the receiver running under the ball, ie., long throws. It has been obvious since the day he put on a Bills jersey.

Edwards doesn't have that problem.

There are many questions that I have about him.

First, can he individually challenge a defense?

Second, can he feel the rush. I thought he was too much a dumper last year.

Third, does he have the confidence to wait for a play to develop, kind of like the sentence above.

What I think is that he was so risk averse last year because of his youth and his promoted from backup status, along with the great success he had in his first start against the Jets, that he checked down too early.

I don't want a Bledsoe/Kelly... wait and launch at all costs type, but I want him to be more of a threat.

In short, he looked to me like he played not to lose rather than played to win.

Comment

• Mitchy moo
                            Roways rooking ahread!
                            • Sep 2005

Originally posted by gameboy

I liked Losman, but the guy has accuracy problems on throws that do not involve the receiver running under the ball, ie., long throws. It has been obvious since the day he put on a Bills jersey.

Third, does he have the confidence to wait for a play to develop, kind of like the sentence above.

What I think is that he was so risk averse last year because of his youth and his promoted from backup status, along with the great success he had in his first start against the Jets, that he checked down too early.

I don't want a Bledsoe/Kelly... wait and launch at all costs type, but I want him to be more of a threat.

Good QB's know what each play offers as assesses those situations individually. It's the great QB that assess a better majority of their situations presented to them and takes the highest probability for a potentially better outcome.

One of the best plays of the SB was when Eli was faced with low odds of a ~3rd and 20 while losing the game but enough time was left (~20 Minutes to be decided). Eli actually came out of the pocket and seen there was nothing there and immediately threw the ball into the ground. JP would of try to make something of a difficult situation and Old Eli too but something clicked in his head that told him that it's best to play it safer in this situation.

Instant assessment and decisions never followed JP around, he telegraphed most of his passes and never checked off receivers or took a 3rd option look. Trent does stuff like that all day, from day one. He gives himself and the team a higher probability of winning every sunday, henceforth his starter status.

Comment

• acehole
                              • Jan 2006

I agree the perception is that Te is more accurate.
                              But the facts don't back that up....in completion percentage or qb rating.

Bottom line for me is this.

I don't have jp's jersey and am not a fan per se.
                              However I thought the plug was pulled to early and he wasn't given the best situation to excell.

Trent is a good young prospect whom I believe is/was overhyped...and I think he may do well eventually. Give JP B johnson and a Tight end worth a dam one more year in this offense without that jerkoff Fairchild (Do you know he did not permit audibles?) I think he could turn the corner AI Eli Manning.

I still think based on stats and my own opinion watching the two to date that JP still is a better qb. Until Trent proof otherwise.

If you are talking about that pass in the Meadowland I was there...the wind was whipping and the fact that is was 6 inches underthrown was accurate enough for a TD vs the fieldgoals we were getting from a TE drive.

I am not here to change your mind ..it doesnt really mater.

I think this year will reveal all.

We shall see.

Originally posted by gameboy

Last edited by acehole; 03-12-2008, 04:13 PM.
                              Hated by the stupid..
                              Loved by their moms.

Comment

Working...
                              X