PDA

View Full Version : WGR

Bulldog
03-13-2008, 08:20 AM
WGR is reporting that Bryant Johnson's agent has indicated that a decision is coming very soon. It is believed that Johnson will be choosing between Buffalo, Tampa Bay and possibly one other team.

hydro
03-13-2008, 08:21 AM
I can confirm this. I heard it this morning too.

Mahdi
03-13-2008, 08:22 AM
The more I think about it the more Johnson and the knocks on him scare me... a big WR that doesn't play BIG can be very frustrating for Bills fans who have been waiting for a physical WR for a long time.

gr8slayer
03-13-2008, 08:24 AM
I'm honestly so tired of hearing about it that I just don't give a ****. We're begging an average player to come to our team.

Bulldog
03-13-2008, 08:27 AM
I don't really care one way or the other. Buffalo needs to address the WR postion early in the draft either way.

DraftBoy
03-13-2008, 08:29 AM
I'm honestly so tired of hearing about it that I just don't give a ****. We're begging an average player to come to our team.

How are we begging anybody? It sounds like we made an offer and he's got an option to take it if he so chooses. Ive seen no indication that we've upped the offer since we made first contact.

venis2k1
03-13-2008, 08:31 AM

Clearly the wise thing for the bills to do at this point is to sit on their hands and not try to improve between now and the end of april.

:rrich:

jamze132
03-13-2008, 08:33 AM
I still am not sold on Bryant. And if we do end up drafting Malcom Kelly, I am pretty sure he will be the #2 from the gate.

gr8slayer
03-13-2008, 08:36 AM
Clearly the wise thing for the bills to do at this point is to sit on their hands and not try to improve between now and the end of april.

:rrich:
If it means not over paying for average talent I'm all for it.

Jeff1220
03-13-2008, 08:38 AM
If BJ does actually get signed, I'd be very surprised to see a WR drafted in the first couple of rounds. Not that I wouldn't like it, but expecting it is setting yourself up for disappointment, imo.

bigbub2352
03-13-2008, 08:41 AM
Signing BJ is an upgrade to what we have right now and that is all that matters to me, Reed and Price suck and Jenkins is a nobody, sign BJ and add another WR the whole point of the offseason is to UPGRADE, sign him, but i think he is going to the highest bidder and if it were us he would have signed here,
Dont get our hopes up i think we will be getting bad news on this guy

Mitchy moo
03-13-2008, 08:42 AM
Well whatever happens we should be getting a new receiver for our team. I found it funny that AZ isn't on that list, I guess they blew it.

Patrick76777
03-13-2008, 08:50 AM
How are we begging anybody? It sounds like we made an offer and he's got an option to take it if he so chooses. Ive seen no indication that we've upped the offer since we made first contact.

Oh, he's angry because message board fans are begging for him to stay.

GIVE ME A F'n BREAK!

Mahdi
03-13-2008, 08:58 AM
The problem IMO with signing BJ is this.. if we do then we most likely wont select a WR high... then if we cant get Lee signed to an extension we will end up with BJ as our #1 WR and no young talent beside him...

In that case we could go into the 2009 season with BJ and a young #1 draft choice...

I dont like that scenario.....

Might be better to pass on BJ, work harder on signing Evans, draft Kelly or Sweed with our #1 pick...

That way if we cant sign Lee we have a young WR with a year under his belt and then we can add a vet or another player through the draft as our #2 for the 2009 season.

venis2k1
03-13-2008, 09:04 AM
If BJ does actually get signed, I'd be very surprised to see a WR drafted in the first couple of rounds. Not that I wouldn't like it, but expecting it is setting yourself up for disappointment, imo.

You gotta believe the bills coming into this offseason wanted to improve both offensivly and defensivly. In the last few weeks we have added 3 pretty good players on Defense, none on offense. Thus im gonna asume the bills are gonna try to improve the O through the draft, early and often.

don137
03-13-2008, 09:06 AM
It doesn't sound like the Bills will break the bank in their contract offer to BJ. If they did they would of signed him a while ago...I believe he is an upgrade over Reed/Price so they will be better than last year but still is not a big enough upgrade in the eyes of many Bills fans but that's why we have a draft to look forward to.

venis2k1
Make no mistake. IF we cant sign lee long term, we will Tag him, and he will play for us until we can. THATS WHY WE HAVE A FRANCHISE TAG.

raphael120
If Bryants smart, he'll pick Buffalo. I mean, who the hell would want to really go to Tampa Bay, home of the 7 QBs.

I say we still get a big impact player if we draft a WR in the second round too, but at the same time a lot of good TE's are going to be available in the second round, so I almost want to keep with picking a WR in the first round and a TE in the second.

I think Bills fans have to realize that something isn't working with your offense when it's ranked near the basement bottom 2 consecutive seasons. It's going to take more than just a rookie WR and TE if we're serious about a run this year.

SquishDaFish
03-13-2008, 09:16 AM
The thing is we get him we can pick Best Player Available in the draft.

FlyingDutchman
03-13-2008, 09:18 AM
It sounds like we might just get him. While he is definately not the answer to our offenisive problems, but he is an upgrade to what we have, and will allow us flexibility in the draft. I just cant wait to get this circus over with.

RedEyE
03-13-2008, 09:18 AM
I'm over him. Next!

raphael120
03-13-2008, 09:39 AM
Hey, I'll take Bryant Johnson over Josh Reed. How sick will our WR corps be then? Evans, Johnson, WR Draft pick, Parrish, Reed. That's pretty ****in sick. Fire away, Trent.

Jan Reimers
03-13-2008, 09:46 AM
I've got a serious case of the "I no longer give a damns." Based on his past production, he most probably will be our 3rd receiver - IF he can beat out Reed and Parrish.

I'd like to see us save our money on Johnson and take 2 WRs in the draft.

Romes
03-13-2008, 09:48 AM
After all the time he has taken...I don't expect him to choose the Bills.

Don't Panic
03-13-2008, 09:51 AM
Anyone who feels they've heard too much of this probably spends too much time (like I do) paying attention to the issue. To be honest, if we do sign him, the average fan will probably be like "We signed Bryant Johnson? I didn't even know we were after him." I agree that he's not blockbuster, but I hope it still goes through.

Mahdi
03-13-2008, 09:55 AM
I find it very interesting that most of us wanted BJ big-time before FA started but now we dont really care as much.....

I think the fact that no one else really wants him is affecting our feelings on the matter....I bet if 7 or 8 teams were competing for his services we would be praying that he chooses the Bills....

Interesting how the collective minds and feelings of fans work.

Tatonka
03-13-2008, 09:57 AM
I find it very interesting that most of us wanted BJ big-time before FA started but now we dont really care as much.....

I think the fact that no one else really wants him is affecting our feelings on the matter....I bet if 7 or 8 teams were competing for his services we would be praying that he chooses the Bills....

Interesting how the collective minds and feelings of fans work.

im not basing the fact that he is average on other teams interest in him.

im basing the fact that he is nothing special on the fact that he has shown for 5 years that he is average to below, and we have plenty of average to below on our team already.

Mahdi
03-13-2008, 10:01 AM
im not basing the fact that he is average on other teams interest in him.

im basing the fact that he is nothing special on the fact that he has shown for 5 years that he is average to below, and we have plenty of average to below on our team already.
Yeah I understand that,,,, but I think a lot of us felt that the whole not getting much opportunities behind 2 pro-bowlers thing was hiding his potential.

But now that no one else wants him it kind of makes you wonder about how NFL evaluators actually feel about him.

It has certainly affected how I feel about things,,, I dont have access to gamefilm and cut-ups of the guy like pro-personnel ppl do,,, so you gotta wonder what they are seeing.

Mahdi
03-13-2008, 10:05 AM
Will Johnson take a one-year deal
Today Posted By: Chris Brown | Time: 10:26 AM ET | Link

WILL JOHNSON TAKE A ONE-YEAR DEAL?: Obviously Bryant Johnson has not been bowled over by any contract offers he has received, otherwise he would have signed somewhere already. In the wake of the one-year deals signed by Drew Carter (Oakland) and Justin McCareins (Tennessee) you have to wonder if Johnson is now leaning toward taking the same approach. It was no doubt the hope of all of these free agent wideouts to land lucrative multi-year deals, but they discovered the market was lukewarm at best. Carter and McCareins have elected to take one-year deals, hope they put up some big numbers in 2008 so they can cash in as free agents in 2009. Johnson's camp may soon decide that is his best course of action as well.

Buffalo historically does not sign players as young as Johnson to one-year contracts. They'll do it for a veteran like Jason Whittle, but not for a 26-year old like Johnson.

---

Interesting... maybe thats the hold up... he doesnt want a 1 or 2 year deal that Buffalo is offering... I think teams are afraid to commit to him long-term... they want short contracts that they can dump without major penalties.

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
03-13-2008, 10:09 AM
Shefter was a guest on Sirius Blitz yesterday with Shine and Sully and he says that he still thinks BJ will sign with the Bills.

raphael120
03-13-2008, 10:27 AM
Buffalo has the best situation for Bryant to be a #2 WR in. I'd say that for Tampa but their QB situation is more ****ed up than ours ever was.

Tatonka
03-13-2008, 10:45 AM
garcia was a probowl qb last year and had a solid year in leading the bucs to the post season.

Mitchy moo
03-13-2008, 10:46 AM
Buffalo has the best situation for Bryant to be a #2 WR in. I'd say that for Tampa but their QB situation is more ****ed up than ours ever was.

This has to be a factor.

B-DON
03-13-2008, 02:45 PM
Might be one of the dumbest posts yet this year. Garcia was far better than edwards last season

acehole
03-13-2008, 03:12 PM
Well the counter agrument would be...sign a 4 year incentive laden deal. With an above average signing bonus. If he is the reciever he thinks he is he will make some dollars....if he is terrible we can cut him after 2-3 year in. Win win.

Simple.

Will Johnson take a one-year deal
Today Posted By: Chris Brown | Time: 10:26 AM ET | Link

WILL JOHNSON TAKE A ONE-YEAR DEAL?: Obviously Bryant Johnson has not been bowled over by any contract offers he has received, otherwise he would have signed somewhere already. In the wake of the one-year deals signed by Drew Carter (Oakland) and Justin McCareins (Tennessee) you have to wonder if Johnson is now leaning toward taking the same approach. It was no doubt the hope of all of these free agent wideouts to land lucrative multi-year deals, but they discovered the market was lukewarm at best. Carter and McCareins have elected to take one-year deals, hope they put up some big numbers in 2008 so they can cash in as free agents in 2009. Johnson's camp may soon decide that is his best course of action as well.

Buffalo historically does not sign players as young as Johnson to one-year contracts. They'll do it for a veteran like Jason Whittle, but not for a 26-year old like Johnson.

---

Interesting... maybe thats the hold up... he doesnt want a 1 or 2 year deal that Buffalo is offering... I think teams are afraid to commit to him long-term... they want short contracts that they can dump without major penalties.

HHURRICANE
03-13-2008, 04:28 PM

Great point and post. The Bills have a tendency of filling a slot and not looking at it again until it becomes obvious that it's still a problem.

As I've said before, this team is still lacking talent in numerous areas. This makes it difficult to build depth at any one position.

How bad will this team be if we lose Peters for the year? Behind our 1st string players is a bunch of 3rd string replacements.

gr8slayer
03-13-2008, 04:38 PM
I'm talking about the fans dingle berry.

YardRat
03-13-2008, 06:24 PM
I've said it many times...I'd rather address WR with two players, one a vet and one a high draft pick, but if we don't I'll just have to live with it. I wouldn't be willing to forego a top rookie just to sign BJ, though, if it was indeed an either-or scenario. Under those circumstances, I'd cut bait on Johnson right now and take my chances with a rookie.

BADTHINGSMAN
03-13-2008, 07:56 PM
The whole Bryant Johnson thing is becoming very annoying..

X-Era
03-13-2008, 08:03 PM
The whole Bryant Johnson thing is becoming very annoying..

Even Im getting bored with it.

If he signs with us now, I gotta admit alot of the excitement has been killed at this point.

Al the Bills Fan
03-13-2008, 10:22 PM
I just want it to be done with! If he ends up in Buffalo thats great, if not at least we can move on. Signing him would allow us to be flexible in regards to the draft.