PDA

View Full Version : Thurman is on Sirius right now...

SquishDaFish
03-14-2008, 09:53 AM
I just turned it on hes on being interviewed

gr8slayer
03-14-2008, 10:52 AM
He didn't say anything ground breaking.
- He likes living in Buffalo.
- Buffalo wasn't his first choice coming out of college but learned to like it.
- Mentioned his wife fifty times like he always does.
- Said that the Bills are still king in Buffalo.
- He's willing to do what it takes to help keep them in Buffalo.

Mr. Miyagi
03-14-2008, 10:59 AM
- He's willing to do what it takes to help keep them in Buffalo.
Does Thurman have any money? When he was playing they didn't give huge contracts like they do now. And he hardly does any endorsements.

gr8slayer
03-14-2008, 11:02 AM
Does Thurman have any money? When he was playing they didn't give huge contracts like they do now. And he hardly does any endorsements.
I've asked the same about Kelly but people seem convinced. Maybe he's talking in terms of helping to get support from outside sources.

SquishDaFish
03-14-2008, 11:14 AM
He also said they went to 4 str8 SBs because they were a close knit team. They would watch Monday Night football together and on Fridays they would all take their wives out for dinner together, and they loved to see each others kids. Nothing like it is now. I miss those days of football

gr8slayer
03-14-2008, 11:15 AM
He also said they went to 4 str8 SBs because they were a close knit team. They would watch Monday Night football together and on Fridays they would all take their wives out for dinner together, and they loved to see each others kids. Nothing like it is now. I miss those days of football
Yeah, things like free agency have ****ed that up.

DMBcrew36
03-14-2008, 01:12 PM
The Bills aren't king right now, but they will be again if the Sabres miss the playoffs (like they're about to).

gr8slayer
03-14-2008, 01:21 PM
The Bills aren't king right now, but they will be again if the Sabres miss the playoffs (like they're about to).
The only place the NHL is king over the NFL might be Detroit.

hydro
03-14-2008, 01:25 PM
The past two year, the Sabres were more popular than the Bills in Buffalo. Believe me!

SquishDaFish
03-14-2008, 01:39 PM
Wont be any longer when they dont make the playoffs after everyone expecting them to be great this year

SABuffalo786
03-14-2008, 01:54 PM
Wont be any longer when they dont make the playoffs after everyone expecting them to be great this year

Not to derail this thread any further but trust me, you'd be hard pressed to find any serious Sabre fans who thought they'd be great this year.

DMBcrew36
03-15-2008, 09:32 AM

Nah, Detroit shouldn't even be called hockeytown anymore. Their city is much larger than Buffalo and they can't even sell out games like we can right now. Throw in the fact that they have one of the best, if not the best team in the league, and ours has played like crap.

And with all due respect, you left/ditched Buffalo, so how would you know better than I? Buffalo has been all about hockey the past two years.

DMBcrew36
03-15-2008, 09:39 AM
Not to derail this thread any further but trust me, you'd be hard pressed to find any serious Sabre fans who thought they'd be great this year.

What exactly is great? Because I consider myself, and certain friends of mine, to be extremely knowledgable about hockey and the Sabres (I played and trained in Canada for years), and we all thought the Sabres would make the playoffs. We thought they would be pretty damn good, regardless of the offseason. Two players don't make a team.

And people you mention to be hardcore fans include a lot of people around this town who don't know much even though they claim to. They might be hardcore now, but just started seriously following the team 2 years ago. And they might not even play the game. To completely understand the game and the players, you need to play the game and live the lifestyle.

gr8slayer
03-15-2008, 09:55 AM
Nah, Detroit shouldn't even be called hockeytown anymore. Their city is much larger than Buffalo and they can't even sell out games like we can right now. Throw in the fact that they have one of the best, if not the best team in the league, and ours has played like crap.

And with all due respect, you left/ditched Buffalo, so how would you know better than I? Buffalo has been all about hockey the past two years.
I never lived in Buffalo. All you have to do to know that the NFL is king is look at the numbers, but I won't get back into that old argument.

SABuffalo786
03-15-2008, 10:41 AM
What exactly is great? Because I consider myself, and certain friends of mine, to be extremely knowledgable about hockey and the Sabres (I played and trained in Canada for years), and we all thought the Sabres would make the playoffs.

The general consensus I was gathering from various message boards/talk around town before the season started was they'd sneak in at 7th or 8th place. 5th at the very best.

Two players don't make a team.

Apparently they did, for this team at least.

And people you mention to be hardcore fans include a lot of people around this town who don't know much even though they claim to. They might be hardcore now, but just started seriously following the team 2 years ago. And they might not even play the game. To completely understand the game and the players, you need to play the game and live the lifestyle.

Whatever. I'm not about to get in a pissing match over whose fan c*ck is bigger here. That's probably the lamest argument you can have in any sport. You don't need to be totally immersed in the game and its culture to know that the Sabres weren't going to be the same powerhouse they've been the two post-lockout years. Jesus, even Darcy admitted it on Black Tuesday.

*****! There goes the thread. Ermmm......Go Bills.

Goobylal
03-15-2008, 10:48 AM
Buffalo will always be a football-first town. Sure when the Sabres are doing well the people will support them. But it's like how Boston is a baseball-first town that was happy when the Patriots won their SB's, but went gaga over the Sox finally winning it all.

And the Sabres blew it by not keeping Briere, who wanted to stay (unlike Drury). His presence would have meant the playoffs. They still might sneak into them, but they won't go far.

And I hope Thurman is right when he says he'll do whatever he can to keep the Bills in Buffalo. But he'll need a LOT of help.

BillyT92679
03-15-2008, 01:04 PM
The Sabres are kind of ubiquitous. The NHL season is exhaustingly long and the Eastern Conference is so weak that even a mediocre Sabres team can make the playoffs. So they are front and center since they split time with the Bills in the Fall and have Buffalo to themselves typically through at least April. You can't avoid the Sabres even if you wanted to here. The Bills really don't get any time to themselves (even during September the Sabres play exhibition games) It's hip to be a Sabres first kind of person, and rather easy since they have been good while the Bills have been so unremarkable. But once the Bills make the playoffs, the Sabres would be immediately put on the back burner.

I would sort of describe it thusly... people like hockey here... it's very influenced by Canada, there isn't much support at all for hoops (unfortunately I think), and it's the professional sport where many of the players live here full time. Some Bills live in the Southtowns, but not many. The Sabres feel like your neighbors, the Bills don't have the literal roots they used to have.

The vibe is the Bills are "transient," people expect them to just leave like Bethlehem Steel or another big corporation. Yet, the love for the Bills is much deeper, much more profound than the love for the Sabres. The Bills represent the big time in a way that the Sabres simply cannot (hell, if the Braves were still here, they couldn't either, and the NBA has much more of a national impact than the NHL) The Bills give Buffalo a legitimacy that cannot be duplicated by much of anything.

Also, interestingly enough, the Bills are much more of "our" team when it comes to the area outside of Buffalo-Niagara. They are Rochester's team, they are extremely popular in Syracuse and Utica, only behind SU sports and rivaling the Giants even pretty far east. They are big in Southern Ontario and Toronto. The Sabres are somewhat popular in Rochester and that's about it.