PDA

View Full Version : Why can't a rookie WR be successful on this team?

Pride
03-14-2008, 02:20 PM
I've brought this up before, and some of you made excellent points as to why a rookie WR may struggle in the NFL. Something that I just considered was the fact that often, a team who is taking a WR in the top 10 or top 15 usually doesn't have a solid #1 on their team already. They are expected to come in and turn around a fledgling offense... usually that is starting a young, unproven QB as well.

Buffalo may be a little different. We do have a young QB, but in his second year, I expect him to get much better. More importantly, this "stud" rookie WR does not have to be the #1 guy. Few teams in the NFL have 2 great CB's (Denver being the exception), so being a #2 on this team should ease... and even help a rookie WR into catching 50+ balls.

Just a thought.

The King
03-14-2008, 02:24 PM
Didnt Lee Evans play opposite Moulds his first year? I think its about connection with the QB and getting used to the way each other play.

Pride
03-14-2008, 02:27 PM
Yeah, but Lee wasnt a top 3 WR pick if I remember correctly. In fact, he was the 4th WR taken that year. Its possible that we get the #1 or #2 WR out there this year. I would think that might make a difference.

Also, I would expect a taller WR to make more of an impact, especially on fade routes. We all know that all that Lee really has is his speed.

The King
03-14-2008, 02:30 PM
Yeah, but Lee wasnt a top 3 WR pick if I remember correctly. In fact, he was the 4th WR taken that year. Its possible that we get the #1 or #2 WR out there this year. I would think that might make a difference.

Also, I would expect a taller WR to make more of an impact, especially on fade routes. We all know that all that Lee really has is his speed.

While that certainly makes sense as you mentioned trend goes against it. Calvin played with a pretty solid Roy Williams all year. I think his numbers were as good as it gets for a rookie... even one his size.

mikemac2001
03-14-2008, 02:35 PM
While that certainly makes sense as you mentioned trend goes against it. Calvin played with a pretty solid Roy Williams all year. I think his numbers were as good as it gets for a rookie... even one his size.

CJ was hurt alot

Ed
03-14-2008, 02:39 PM
I don't think anyone would ever say a rookie WR can't be successfull, it's just a lot more likely that they won't.

The kind of production people expect from a #2 isn't really fair for a rookie. Not that it can't happen, it's just unrealistic. And also foolish to rely on a rookie to be the difference in our passing game.

I would expect Parrish to put up better numbers this year then any rookie we draft.

I'm not opposed to using our first pick on a WR though. Our offense is young. Might as well pick up a promising prospect now and let them all grow together.

DraftBoy
03-14-2008, 02:44 PM
Well its not always about the team surrounding the player as much as it is about the player taking time to adjust the more complex playbook, the speed and the complex defensive looks they have to adjust to.

X-Era
03-14-2008, 02:48 PM

Yep, taken behind Fitz, Roy Williams, and.... Rashaun Woods or Reggie Williams.. cant remember.

mikemac2001
03-14-2008, 02:48 PM
Reggie williams

justasportsfan
03-14-2008, 02:51 PM
Buffalo may be a little different. We do have a young QB, but in his second year, I expect him to get much better.
we thought the same thing about JP after 2006. There are no guarantees.

X-Era
03-14-2008, 02:53 PM
Well its not always about the team surrounding the player as much as it is about the player taking time to adjust the more complex playbook, the speed and the complex defensive looks they have to adjust to.

That assumes they have hot reads in the playbook and adjust routes on the fly, thats not always the case. They could get straight up routes that they run period. Then its just executing routes they have run since the 8th grade. If they have set routes, then its just a matter of getting open and being a playmaker who makes plays.

I think its like most positions, the better the player, the better they play.

Thats why I want the best we can get from the draft.

A stud TE means alot for a dump off pass and another option for our QB, but a solid #2 makes Evans better along with giving us another option.

I hope we address it early and my feeling is we will very early, round 1, at latest round 2, and more likely a move back into late round 1 if we dont take one at 11. Thats my gut feeling.

Jeff1220
03-14-2008, 03:21 PM
I think rookies can come in and have an impact, and they don't have to be the top WR. Heres a list of guys who did pretty well as rookies over the last 10 years (of course, some of them did nothing after that):
Dwayne Bowe (KC)
James Jones (GB)
Anthony Gonzales (IN)
Marques Colston(NO)
Santonio Holmes (Pitt)
Michael Clayton (TB)
Lee Evans (Buff)
Keary Colbert (Car)
Andre Johnson (TX)
Anquan Boldin(AZ)
Chris Chambers (Miami)
Rod Gardner (Wash)
Daryl Jackson (Sea)
Torry Holt(StL)
Kevin Johnson (Cle)
Troy Edwards (Pitt)
Randy Moss (Minn)

Mahdi
03-14-2008, 03:26 PM
you can add Larry Fitzgerald and Roy Williams to that list

don137
03-14-2008, 03:27 PM
Rookies can do well but most have problems adjusting to the NFL. It takes a while for many of them to learn how not to be jammed at the line of scrimmage.

Jeff1220
03-14-2008, 03:36 PM
you can add Larry Fitzgerald and Roy Williams to that list

I was trying to stay away from guys picked that high. Most of those guys were picked after the #10 pick, I believe (a few exceptions).

YardRat
03-14-2008, 03:37 PM
Evans didn't crack the starting line-up until the middle of the season.

kernowboy
03-14-2008, 04:05 PM
The bottom line is any draft pick doesn't have to start.

Terrell Owens was taken in the 3rd round, and started by Week7.

Reed isn't really a No2 but he can hold the fort until our pick is ready. Its not as if we have Evans and camp fodder only.

And I'd like the idea of asking Mike Williams to camp just for a look

DraftBoy
03-14-2008, 04:05 PM
That assumes they have hot reads in the playbook and adjust routes on the fly, thats not always the case. They could get straight up routes that they run period. Then its just executing routes they have run since the 8th grade. If they have set routes, then its just a matter of getting open and being a playmaker who makes plays.

I think its like most positions, the better the player, the better they play.

Thats why I want the best we can get from the draft.

A stud TE means alot for a dump off pass and another option for our QB, but a solid #2 makes Evans better along with giving us another option.

I hope we address it early and my feeling is we will very early, round 1, at latest round 2, and more likely a move back into late round 1 if we dont take one at 11. Thats my gut feeling.

Can you name one team that doesnt employ hot routes in the NFL? I dont know that I can even think of one college team that does that. Hell a lot of top tier HS teams do it now.

gr8slayer
03-14-2008, 04:09 PM
Can you name one team that doesnt employ hot routes in the NFL? I dont know that I can even think of one college team that does that. Hell a lot of top tier HS teams do it now.
The Buffalo Bills under Fairchild....

DraftBoy
03-14-2008, 04:10 PM
The Buffalo Bills under Fairchild....

Edwards made hot reads after Losman was taken out....

gr8slayer
03-14-2008, 04:10 PM
Edwards made hot reads after Losman was taken out....
You mean Montana.

DraftBoy
03-14-2008, 04:16 PM
My mistake

X-Era
03-14-2008, 04:30 PM

From http://www.fftoolbox.com/football/football_terminology.cfm

<DT>Hot Read or Hot Receiver </DT><DD>The receiver who will have a pass directed his way almost immediately after the snap. This happens when a quarterback comes to the line and believes the defense is going to blitz. In an attempt to get rid of the ball before being sacked, the quarterback will designate one of his receivers as the hot read or hot receiver.</DD>
-----------
A #2 WR, may at times be designated hot. But the thought that they must read the defenses on the fly may or may not be necessarily true.

The QB is the one who usually reads the "hots", a WR may recognize a blitz etc... and adjust a route.

I would say this is no more difficult than most other positions on defense. Many of those players contribute day one.

trapezeus
03-14-2008, 04:50 PM

i figured every team has audibles, however, at the end of the season we found out that fairchild chose not to use this basic tool.

gr8slayer
03-14-2008, 04:52 PM
i figured every team has audibles, however, at the end of the season we found out that fairchild chose not to use this basic tool.
Exactly. We were so vanilla this season it made me sick; I'd be willing to be that we could have won another two or three games had we taken some chances.

DraftBoy
03-14-2008, 07:01 PM
From http://www.fftoolbox.com/football/football_terminology.cfm

<DT>Hot Read or Hot Receiver </DT><DD>The receiver who will have a pass directed his way almost immediately after the snap. This happens when a quarterback comes to the line and believes the defense is going to blitz. In an attempt to get rid of the ball before being sacked, the quarterback will designate one of his receivers as the hot read or hot receiver.</DD>
-----------
A #2 WR, may at times be designated hot. But the thought that they must read the defenses on the fly may or may not be necessarily true.

The QB is the one who usually reads the "hots", a WR may recognize a blitz etc... and adjust a route.

I would say this is no more difficult than most other positions on defense. Many of those players contribute day one.

I understand what it is you are talking about, Im still waiting for you to name an NFL team that doesnt use them.

TigerJ
03-14-2008, 11:15 PM
Of course a rookie WR can succeed in Buffalo. It's a question of odds. The fact is that more WRs struggle some than succeed brilliantly as rookies. I think a large part of that is the rookie himself. Maybe some systems lend themselves to a faster transition for a young WR into the pros. Some WR coaches are better teachers. Maybe some OCs are better able to adapt. The problem is all those possible factors are probably impossible for the smartest experts to quantify. Thus, all we're left with are the odds, and the odds don't favor a young WR coming in his first year and tearing up the league.

PECKERWOOD
03-15-2008, 12:04 AM
I'm comfortable with it.. Biggest need, therefore spend the highest pick there to address it.

kernowboy
03-15-2008, 06:35 AM
Personally I think the draft is so deep in WR, that we could even find a starter at the beginning of Day2.

Some of the best WRs were not Round1 picks .. Terrell Owens, Marques Colston etc

I think not only the combine and pro-days, but their performances in the junior and senior years at college plus their interviews will have a big impact.

if we really like someone like Adarius Bowman, we can easily wait to select him and get the best value with our pick for him.

I think if we don't go WR on Day1, then the front office and coaching staff, have clearly singled out a guy who they think can immediately step up yet be available on Day2.