Why can't a rookie WR be successful on this team?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pride
    • Jul 2002

Why can't a rookie WR be successful on this team?

I've brought this up before, and some of you made excellent points as to why a rookie WR may struggle in the NFL. Something that I just considered was the fact that often, a team who is taking a WR in the top 10 or top 15 usually doesn't have a solid #1 on their team already. They are expected to come in and turn around a fledgling offense... usually that is starting a young, unproven QB as well.

Buffalo may be a little different. We do have a young QB, but in his second year, I expect him to get much better. More importantly, this "stud" rookie WR does not have to be the #1 guy. Few teams in the NFL have 2 great CB's (Denver being the exception), so being a #2 on this team should ease... and even help a rookie WR into catching 50+ balls.

Just a thought.
  • The King
    Without me it's just Awe so
    • Jun 2004

Re: Why can't a rookie WR be successful on this team?

Didnt Lee Evans play opposite Moulds his first year? I think its about connection with the QB and getting used to the way each other play.
    I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
    "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
    You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
    It was all
    true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
    He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
    mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• Pride
      • Jul 2002

Yeah, but Lee wasnt a top 3 WR pick if I remember correctly. In fact, he was the 4th WR taken that year. Its possible that we get the #1 or #2 WR out there this year. I would think that might make a difference.

Also, I would expect a taller WR to make more of an impact, especially on fade routes. We all know that all that Lee really has is his speed.

Comment

• The King
        Without me it's just Awe so
        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Pride
        Yeah, but Lee wasnt a top 3 WR pick if I remember correctly. In fact, he was the 4th WR taken that year. Its possible that we get the #1 or #2 WR out there this year. I would think that might make a difference.

Also, I would expect a taller WR to make more of an impact, especially on fade routes. We all know that all that Lee really has is his speed.
        While that certainly makes sense as you mentioned trend goes against it. Calvin played with a pretty solid Roy Williams all year. I think his numbers were as good as it gets for a rookie... even one his size.
        I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
        "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
        You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
        It was all
        true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
        He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
        mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• mikemac2001
          is the creepy cross dresser staring at you in the corner
          • Mar 2003

Originally posted by MBBedard
          While that certainly makes sense as you mentioned trend goes against it. Calvin played with a pretty solid Roy Williams all year. I think his numbers were as good as it gets for a rookie... even one his size.
          CJ was hurt alot

MUCK
          FIAMI

Comment

• Ed
            Dude
            • Sep 2002

I don't think anyone would ever say a rookie WR can't be successfull, it's just a lot more likely that they won't.

The kind of production people expect from a #2 isn't really fair for a rookie. Not that it can't happen, it's just unrealistic. And also foolish to rely on a rookie to be the difference in our passing game.

I would expect Parrish to put up better numbers this year then any rookie we draft.

I'm not opposed to using our first pick on a WR though. Our offense is young. Might as well pick up a promising prospect now and let them all grow together.

Comment

• DraftBoy
              Administrator
              • Jul 2002

Well its not always about the team surrounding the player as much as it is about the player taking time to adjust the more complex playbook, the speed and the complex defensive looks they have to adjust to.
              COMING SOON...
              Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
              We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• X-Era
                What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                • Feb 2005

Yep, taken behind Fitz, Roy Williams, and.... Rashaun Woods or Reggie Williams.. cant remember.

Comment

• mikemac2001
                  is the creepy cross dresser staring at you in the corner
                  • Mar 2003

Reggie williams

MUCK
                  FIAMI

Comment

• justasportsfan
                    • Jul 2002

Buffalo may be a little different. We do have a young QB, but in his second year, I expect him to get much better.
                    we thought the same thing about JP after 2006. There are no guarantees.
                    sacrifice1
                    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• X-Era
                      What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by DraftBoy
                      Well its not always about the team surrounding the player as much as it is about the player taking time to adjust the more complex playbook, the speed and the complex defensive looks they have to adjust to.
                      That assumes they have hot reads in the playbook and adjust routes on the fly, thats not always the case. They could get straight up routes that they run period. Then its just executing routes they have run since the 8th grade. If they have set routes, then its just a matter of getting open and being a playmaker who makes plays.

I think its like most positions, the better the player, the better they play.

Thats why I want the best we can get from the draft.

A stud TE means alot for a dump off pass and another option for our QB, but a solid #2 makes Evans better along with giving us another option.

I hope we address it early and my feeling is we will very early, round 1, at latest round 2, and more likely a move back into late round 1 if we dont take one at 11. Thats my gut feeling.

Comment

• Jeff1220
                        H to the 12:20
                        • Jul 2002

I think rookies can come in and have an impact, and they don't have to be the top WR. Heres a list of guys who did pretty well as rookies over the last 10 years (of course, some of them did nothing after that):
                        Dwayne Bowe (KC)
                        James Jones (GB)
                        Anthony Gonzales (IN)
                        Marques Colston(NO)
                        Santonio Holmes (Pitt)
                        Michael Clayton (TB)
                        Lee Evans (Buff)
                        Keary Colbert (Car)
                        Andre Johnson (TX)
                        Anquan Boldin(AZ)
                        Chris Chambers (Miami)
                        Rod Gardner (Wash)
                        Daryl Jackson (Sea)
                        Torry Holt(StL)
                        Kevin Johnson (Cle)
                        Troy Edwards (Pitt)
                        Randy Moss (Minn)

Comment

• Mahdi
                          • Mar 2004

you can add Larry Fitzgerald and Roy Williams to that list

Comment

• don137
                            • Jul 2002

Rookies can do well but most have problems adjusting to the NFL. It takes a while for many of them to learn how not to be jammed at the line of scrimmage.

Comment

• Jeff1220
                              H to the 12:20
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mahdi
                              you can add Larry Fitzgerald and Roy Williams to that list
                              I was trying to stay away from guys picked that high. Most of those guys were picked after the #10 pick, I believe (a few exceptions).

Comment

Working...
                              X