X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • yordad
    • Dec 2007

Some off-season tidbits......

I have some things that I want to say or ask, and a lot have thread related to them established already. But, instead of replying all over the place, and checking for replies in 5 different threads, and then start 3 different threads, I thought I would throw it all together here. I will number them in case it makes it easier to respond to.

1). I think Johnson was stupid for wanting a one year deal. What if he suffers a serious injury this year, forcing him out of football. What, as several have mentioned, he gets a couple missed games type injuries. He is taking a huge gamble. Do you think that was smart?

2) Was it Johnson OR Evans? Or, could they have got both long term. And, why did they take so long to negotiate with Evans. They should have had an extention worked out or talked about before now.

3) I don't really like the "don't sign young players to one year deals" policy. I figured it couldn't hurt. But, (as LTBF just pointed out in a different thread) others might try it, and it could create more problems in the end. What do you think?

4). I think the Bills should offer Hackett something. What could it hurt? If he doesn't take it, you don't lose anything. And, you don't sit on your hands waiting for him to make a decision.

5) I don't think Johnson was our best option at WR. I think Sweed or Kelly could have matched him this year. And, I don't think Hardy isn't far behind, and better in the red zone. Thing is, I think he was our best option for upgrading a position of need before the draft (ok, Crumpler would have been nice).

The way I see it, TE, WR, CB. Do you plan on the Bills drafting starters at all three positions in the draft? Hopefully. And, with our starters (especially #2 wr, and TE), it shouldn't be too hard. Fb would be easy. Center maybe. But these first three are the most critical, IMO. If one was aquired before the draft, we would be sitting pretty.

6) What do the Eagles want for Sheppard? And, why did they blow their wad on a CB when they had a good one?

7) Does anyone think if we had landed a shark like Martz for our OC, then players would be more interested in coming here? No knock on Turk, but he isn't exactly a household name (yours and mine doesn 't count).

8) I think as long as the Bills extend their guys Lee, Crowell, and preferably Peters now too, it will be alright. Actaully, as long as they spend to the cash-to-cap, and do it wisely, I have no major complaits. But, are they going to?

"Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

Re: Some off-season tidbits......

Originally posted by yordad
    I have some things that I want to say or ask, and a lot have thread related to them established already. But, instead of replying all over the place, and checking for replies in 5 different threads, and then start 3 different threads, I thought I would throw it all together here. I will number them in case it makes it easier to respond to.

1). I think Johnson was stupid for wanting a one year deal. What if he suffers a serious injury this year, forcing him out of football. What, as several have mentioned, he gets a couple missed games type injuries. He is taking a huge gamble. Do you think that was smart?
    He is taking a gamble. The gamble is he has a big year in SF and then goes back into the market and gets a Berrian or Javon Walker type deal next year. Personally, I dont agree with it.

2) Was it Johnson OR Evans? Or, could they have got both long term. And, why did they take so long to negotiate with Evans. They should have had an extention worked out or talked about before now.
    Who the hell knows with this front office.. Extending Lee Evans now is the obvious thing to do. What's happened to the Sabres SCARES me with the Bills. They have to get him locked up. The problem Im SURE is money. Evans didnt do **** last year, and Im sure the Bills are keeping that in mind when and if there is a negotiation.

3) I don't really like the "don't sign young players to one year deals" policy. I figured it couldn't hurt. But, (as LTBF just pointed out in a different thread) others might try it, and it could create more problems in the end. What do you think?
    I agree that I wouldnt sign young players to 1-year deals. If he's a bust, you start over. If he plays great and you're NOT willing to pay him big bucks, you're starting over anyway. Bascially, Johnson would've been auditioning for 32 teams this year in Buffalo.

4). I think the Bills should offer Hackett something. What could it hurt? If he doesn't take it, you don't lose anything. And, you don't sit on your hands waiting for him to make a decision.
    I've thought the Bills should go after Hackett BEFORE free agency starts.. I think talent-wise he's the best #2 WR on the board, and if he can stay healthy he has #1 WR ability.

5) I don't think Johnson was our best option at WR. I think Sweed or Kelly could have matched him this year. And, I don't think Hardy isn't far behind, and better in the red zone. Thing is, I think he was our best option for upgrading a position of need before the draft (ok, Crumpler would have been nice).
    Even though Kelly is on my sig, I think that Sweed could definitely be the pick. I think 2 of our first 4 picks, maybe even 2 of 3, are going to WR's.

The way I see it, TE, WR, CB. Do you plan on the Bills drafting starters at all three positions in the draft? Hopefully. And, with our starters (especially #2 wr, and TE), it shouldn't be too hard. Fb would be easy. Center maybe. But these first three are the most critical, IMO. If one was aquired before the draft, we would be sitting pretty.

6) What do the Eagles want for Sheppard? And, why did they blow their wad on a CB when they had a good one?
    wouldnt trade for Sheppard.

7) Does anyone think if we had landed a shark like Martz for our OC, then players would be more interested in coming here? No knock on Turk, but he isn't exactly a household name (yours and mine doesn 't count).
    It's not Turk.. Its the Bills period. We are at least perceived, deservedly or not as a team that's in big trouble. We havent made the playoffs in forever, our future here in Buffalo is cloudy and from a national standpoint we're simply considered a bad franchise. IF you were a free agent, would YOU come to Buffalo for the same price as another city? No. If anyone comes to Buffalo, its because its the best deal they could find.

8) I think as long as the Bills extend their guys Lee, Crowell, and preferably Peters now too, it will be alright. Actaully, as long as they spend to the cash-to-cap, and do it wisely, I have no major complaits. But, are they going to?
    I sure hope so. They have a ****load of cap room and it would be BRUTAL to not spend at least up to cash to cap.. I have to assume they are locking some guys up this year. Stroud and Mitchell and Johnson have barely put a dent into the cap, especially since we saved a few bucks by cutting Tripplett.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

Working...
    X