PDA

View Full Version : WR not worth a top ten pick

Jaybird
03-15-2008, 11:44 AM
Many of you guys have been preaching drafting a Wr in the first round. I don't think any of them merit a top pick. If we stay at the 11 slot, sweed or kelly would be a reach.

I am big on college ball and have watched both guys for years. Sweed was labeled as the next roy williams in texas. He never produced like he should have.

I agree we need a big Wr, without question, but the talent level between the number one guy and number 5 isn't so far off. It is not an easy position to make the adjustment to the pro level. Think about how many first round Wr have been busts!!!

Sweed and kelly are talented players, i am not hating on them at all. They might be very good, but i think we need to be realistic about their value at number 11. Just because it's a need it doesn't mean it's the right move, and i hope the front office keeps that in mind.

I think if Drc is on the board we should jump all over that, his upside is unreal, and he has good blood lines (cousin is that nasty cb on the chargers). I would even take Mckelvin.

Adding a potential shut down corner would do tons for this team, for example, free up whitner, and allow him to make plays

let the ripping begin.........

gr8slayer
03-15-2008, 12:08 PM
I don't think any of them are worth the #11 either.

jpdex12
03-15-2008, 12:21 PM
I don't think any of them are worth the #11 either.

agreed but they are worthy of a late first round pick and most of them will be gone before we pick in the second therefore ...you reach for them when you have to.

Mitchy moo
03-15-2008, 12:24 PM
I would like the Bills to trade down with Dallas somehow to get their 2 first round picks, then we can get a WR / CB.

Jaybird
03-15-2008, 12:26 PM
not a bad idea, like a talib and d thomas

justasportsfan
03-15-2008, 12:29 PM
the bills will not be afraid to reach for theguy they really want especially if they know some other team will snag him if they pass on him. We did it with Whitner and McCargo.

bigbub2352
03-15-2008, 12:34 PM
we need to reach everyone, we dont need a cb as bad as we need some sorta help on O, do something cause reed parrish and evans dont scare many teams, and for that matter neither does the 2 bums we signed at TE, or robert royal, so get drafting

Philagape
03-15-2008, 12:35 PM
And the Bills never reach.

Ultra Chimp 1
03-15-2008, 12:36 PM
We have to WR with the first pick. It would be a mistake not to.

I'd rather have one of the top three receiver in this years class, than a cornerback we'll probably end up letting walk without even a franchise tag.

Look, no one is saying cornerbacks aren't important. But are they more important than a WR.? No, they're not, not even close. And thats simply because CBs don't score touchdowns like WRs do.

The NFL is a WR league, not a cornerbacks league. It would be a shame for us to fail to realize this fact of the modern NFL.

We have good young corners whose natural ballhawk instincts kepts in a lot of games we shouldn't have been in last season because of our lacklustre offense.

What we don't have is a good WR set. What we do have is a young hungry secondary. I don't know about you guys, but I saw a vastly underrated Bills secondary last season.

Im sick of drafting CBs only to see them walk three years later because OBD does not want to reward excellence. Looking back on the way things worked out, Winfield and Clements were wasted picks.

Those two are in the prime of their careers in another teams uniform.

Where did the drafting and the eventual handling of those two get us....nowhere, not even a whiff of playoffs.

gr8slayer
03-15-2008, 12:37 PM
And the Bills never reach.
:ill:

Mahdi
Many of you guys have been preaching drafting a Wr in the first round. I don't think any of them merit a top pick. If we stay at the 11 slot, sweed or kelly would be a reach.

I am big on college ball and have watched both guys for years. Sweed was labeled as the next roy williams in texas. He never produced like he should have.

I agree we need a big Wr, without question, but the talent level between the number one guy and number 5 isn't so far off. It is not an easy position to make the adjustment to the pro level. Think about how many first round Wr have been busts!!!

Sweed and kelly are talented players, i am not hating on them at all. They might be very good, but i think we need to be realistic about their value at number 11. Just because it's a need it doesn't mean it's the right move, and i hope the front office keeps that in mind.

I think if Drc is on the board we should jump all over that, his upside is unreal, and he has good blood lines (cousin is that nasty cb on the chargers). I would even take Mckelvin.

Adding a potential shut down corner would do tons for this team, for example, free up whitner, and allow him to make plays

let the ripping begin.........
I agree with what you are saying for the most part but the fact is we are in desperate need of a #2 guy. If we wait till the second round im certain we will miss out on Sweed, Kelly, Devin Thomas, Desean Jackson, and James Hardy... Then we would have to choose between Manningham, Arrington, Hawkins, Early Doucet, Andre Caldwell....

At this point im seeing Devin Thomas as the surprise pick of the draft made by the Bills at #11.

gr8slayer
We have to WR with the first pick. It would be a mistake not to.
Or we could just bring back your boy Peerless Price.

Philagape
03-15-2008, 12:40 PM
WR isn't just a need; it's an emergency. The WR they draft must be able to contribute immediately if not start. It can't be a project. He has to have the maximum amount of readiness, the most polish, the quickest learning curve. If that means reaching a few spots, so be it. Evans was called a reach too. Plenty of mocks have the Bills taking a WR, so it wouldn't be a reach anyway.

gr8slayer
03-15-2008, 12:42 PM
WR isn't just a need; it's an emergency. The WR they draft must be able to contribute immediately if not start. It can't be a project. He has to have the maximum amount of readiness, the most polish, the quickest learning curve. If that means reaching a few spots, so be it. Evans was called a reach too. Plenty of mocks have the Bills taking a WR, so it wouldn't be a reach anyway.
I give you Limas Sweed.

Philagape
03-15-2008, 12:43 PM
I give you Limas Sweed.

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showpost.php?p=2373606&postcount=39

gr8slayer
03-15-2008, 12:46 PM
http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showpost.php?p=2373606&postcount=39
Damn, it's no fun when we agree.

Scumbag College
03-15-2008, 12:49 PM

Very good analogy of the Bills need for a WR being an emergency. If they have to reach, then do it. After Lee the Bills have Reed, Parrish, and that's about it. Parrish is a nice #3 and special situation WR (trick plays, screens, reverses, etc.) Reed is soooo inconsistent I would have to say that if the Bills brought in Kelly, Sweed, etc. with their first round pick, that they would automatically be starting opposite Evans on opening day, even with the rookie learning curve that seems to be construed at the NFL level.

Bmax
03-15-2008, 01:07 PM
The boards are changing after the combine and on campus workouts. Thomas has really zoomed up a lot of teams draft boards. Right now he is #1 on a lot of NFL teams draft boards at WR... why ?

He is completely healthy...While Sweed and Kelly are not...He produced last season while Kelly was injured and sweefd was out most of the year...

2. RAC-run after the catch ...has more of it then Sweed and Kelly....

3. 4.33-40 at combine or 4.4..faster than swedd .. Kelly has no time yet ...he won't run until april 9th... Now if comes out and has a great workout runs a 4.3 then he can reclaim the #1 spot . Right now it Thomas in my book....Kelly 2 month recovery ..it will be 3 before he works out concerns me .. Either they are not letting any one know the nature of the injury or the guy takes to long to heal.. Which is not a good sign for the NFL.

Thomas at 11 won't be a big shock after all with the recent injuries to Merling and Stewart he has moved up two spots by default.

Bmax

Earthquake Enyart
03-15-2008, 02:21 PM
Trade down a few spots and take Hardy.

If they sit still, I'd go CB.

YardRat
03-15-2008, 03:08 PM
Somebody will be there in the second if we have to wait until then to get a receiver.

Mitchy moo
03-15-2008, 03:56 PM
There are solutions to our WR problem in the draft. It needs to be addressed first and foremost.

Jaybird
03-15-2008, 04:11 PM
i am shocked that some of you think that we have good cornerbacks!!!!!!!

They were torched all year. I know they had good numbers and stats, but when teams move the ball like they did on the d, then you will have more chances.

D wins championships, I really really dont agree that a WR is more important then A CB. So we let a few goes walk at that position, how much do you think a top Wr will ask for come contract time.

DRC might turn out to be the best player in this years draft. He was amazing in the senior bowl, combine, and on tape. Deion himself, thinks a ton about the guy, If he's on the board come pick 11 and we pass on him for a WR it will turn out to be a huge mistake.

Philagape
03-15-2008, 04:14 PM
The improvements on D will make the corners look better. The offense needs help much more.

Jan Reimers
03-15-2008, 04:16 PM
We have Poz and Simpson coming back from injury; we signed Stroud, Johnson and Mitchell in free agency; we have a healthy, developing talent in McCargo; and we have a few younger guys, e.g. Wendling and Youboty, who still might develop into players.

We have nothing anywhere comparable to this on offense. The draft is always a crapshoot anyway, so take the two positions we desperately need - WR and TE - on Day1. Without them, our offense will not succeed.

bigbub2352
03-15-2008, 04:35 PM
we have 8 picks in this years draft, or more considering we mite get a compensary pick, and trade of JP, well if you are hip with what has been going on with our offense lately u will see we need 2 WRs, a starting TE, a backup OT, a backup/starter at C, and then u got a depth CB needed, and a backup DE/pass rusher, and a rotational DT

Now we can still address the 3 needs on D with Vets, but i doubt we will find another DT, so that will be taken as early as 3rd or maybe 4-5th round of the draft and if we dont sign another CB, or even if we do i would say mid rounder here as well, maybe a 5th or 6th rd pick, to me CB will benefit greatly with our improved DL

So First day if you have to reach and get Devon Thomas, Sweed, or Kelly in the First, then ur second round pick has to be a TE, i am hoping for Davis to fall but if not i really like the kid from Purdue or Bennett in the 2nd round, in the 3rd round i think we go either DT, or best player available, maybe here is were we draft best Center in the draft

in the 4th round i think we take our future all everything FB in Schmitt,

leaving us our 2 7th rounders to take another WR, and backup OT

UDFA's bring in Qbs WR, TE, CB DLine and a bunch of them, throw in a LS, and a few Oline and we got our selves help

Oaf
03-15-2008, 04:39 PM
I would like the Bills to trade down with Dallas somehow to get their 2 first round picks, then we can get a WR / CB.
Why would Dallas ever want to give up two late firsts for the 11th pick. No one wants to trade up in the 1st these days.

jamze132
03-15-2008, 04:55 PM
All the draft is, is an educated guess. When it's your turn to pick, pick the best player available or your team's most pressing needs. That's all you can do.

The draftee's either have it or they don't. No Combine can tell if they have it or not and no draft position can tell if they have it or not. Just pick a player from your extensive research and hope for the best.

coastal
03-15-2008, 06:34 PM
Drafting a real TE is vital to Trent Edwards success... even more so than drafting a wide receiver.

Trent needs outlets and Robert Royal ain't it.

I wouldn't mind reaching in the first on a WR like D. Thomas, but would prefer to trade down in order to draft him.

That way we could use whatever pick we got to trade back up to ensure we could get someone like Martellus Bennett.

Bone
03-15-2008, 09:28 PM
Drafting a real TE is vital to Trent Edwards success... even more so than drafting a wide receiver.

Trent needs outlets and Robert Royal ain't it.

I wouldn't mind reaching in the first on a WR like D. Thomas, but would prefer to trade down in order to draft him.

That way we could use whatever pick we got to trade back up to ensure we could get someone like Martellus Bennett.

Good Post, I agree with you 100%.

Tatonka
03-15-2008, 10:15 PM
adarius bowman is probably my favorite player at the wr spot for what we need.. i know there are some off the field issues.. but man he is dominant physically.. i hope we grab him with a later pick...

for anyone who wants to see video of all the options at wr.. click on the name and there are video links.

http://nfldraft.rivals.com/content.asp?SID=1164&CID=767677

Mitchy moo
03-16-2008, 12:34 AM
Not a character guy......

Michael82
03-16-2008, 01:00 AM
Excellent post! :bf1:

Mitchy moo
03-16-2008, 01:04 AM
Excellent post! :bf1::bandwagon

gr8slayer
03-16-2008, 12:34 PM
adarius bowman is probably my favorite player at the wr spot for what we need.. i know there are some off the field issues.. but man he is dominant physically.. i hope we grab him with a later pick...

for anyone who wants to see video of all the options at wr.. click on the name and there are video links.

http://nfldraft.rivals.com/content.asp?SID=1164&CID=767677
You realize that just about every scout out there has him tagged as a TE or H-Back right?

mysticsoto
03-16-2008, 08:30 PM
You realize that just about every scout out there has him tagged as a TE or H-Back right?

And he's slow as hell for a WR...

yordad
03-17-2008, 06:48 PM
I read this on buffalobills.com. Seems interesting.....

<table class="tborder" id="post714304" align="center" border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="1" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td class="thead">http://boards.buffalobills.com/images/statusicon/post_old.gif 03-14-2008, 11:59 PM <!-- / status icon and date -->
</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="alt2" style="padding: 0px;"> <!-- user info --> <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="6" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td nowrap="nowrap"> craigaharrington (http://boards.buffalobills.com/member.php?u=23183) http://boards.buffalobills.com/images/statusicon/user_offline.gif <script type="text/javascript"> vbmenu_register("postmenu_714304", true); </script>
</td> <td width="100%"> </td> <td nowrap="nowrap" valign="top"> Join Date: Mar 2006

</td> </tr> </tbody></table> <!-- / user info --> </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="alt1" id="td_post_714304"> <!-- message, attachments, sig --> <!-- icon and title --> http://boards.buffalobills.com/images/icons/icon1.gif Why get a WR in the first round?
<hr style="color: rgb(209, 209, 225);" size="1"> <!-- / icon and title --> <!-- message --> Here is an aggregate of the 1st and 2nd round WRs picked over the last five years:
http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/ful...&type=position (http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?position=Wide+Receivers&type=position)

2007 pick catches TDs name team
1 2 48 4 Calvin Johnson Detroit Lions
1 9 34 2 Ted Ginn Jr. Miami Dolphins
1 23 70 5 Dwayne Bowe Kansas City Chiefs
1 27 0 0 Robert Meachem New Orleans Saints
1 30 20 1 Craig Davis San Diego Chargers
1 32 37 3 Anthony Gonzalez Indianapolis Colts
2 44 31 4 Sidney Rice Minnesota Vikings
2 45 6 0 Dwayne Jarrett Carolina Panthers
2 51 8 0 Steve Smith New York Giants

1 25 49 2 Santonio Holmes Pittsburgh Steelers
2 36 13 3 Chad Jackson New England Patriots
2 44 5 0 Sinorice Moss New York Giants
2 52 45 3 Greg Jennings Green Bay Packers

1 3 32 3 Braylon Edwards Cleveland Browns
1 7 24 2 Troy Williamson Minnesota Vikings
1 10 29 1 Mike Williams Detroit Lions
1 21 36 5 Matt Jones Jacksonville Jaguars
1 22 44 2 Mark Clayton Baltimore Ravens
1 27 29 3 Roddy White Atlanta Falcons
2 35 43 4 Reggie Brown Philadelphia Eagles
2 39 18 0 Mark Bradley Chicago Bears
2 55 15 1 Roscoe Parrish Buffalo Bills
2 58 5 0 Terrence Murphy Green Bay Packers
2 61 3 0 Vincent Jackson San Diego Chargers

1 3 58 8 Larry Fitzgerald Arizona Cardinals
1 7 54 8 Roy Williams Detroit Lions
1 9 27 1 Reggie Williams Jacksonville Jaguars
1 13 48 9 Lee Evans Buffalo Bills
1 15 80 7 Michael Clayton Tampa Bay Buccaneers
1 29 7 0 Michael Jenkins Atlanta Falcons
1 31 7 1 Rashaun Woods San Francisco 49ers
2 50 0 0 Devery Henderson New Orleans Saints
2 54 31 1 Darius Watts Denver Broncos
2 62 47 5 Keary Colbert Carolina Panthers

1 2 22 3 Charles Rogers Detroit Lions
1 3 66 4 Andre Johnson Houston Texans
1 17 35 1 Bryant Johnson Arizona Cardinals
2 44 3 1 Taylor Jacobs Washington Redskins
2 45 16 2 Bethel Johnson New England Patriots
2 54 101 8 Anquan Boldin Arizona Cardinals
2 60 18 4 Tyrone Calico Tennessee Titans

In the first year,
1st round picks averaged 37 catches (37.2)
2nd round picks averaged 22 catches (22.7)

1st round picks averaged 3 TDs (3.3)
2nd round picks averaged 2 TDs (2.0)

If you take Anquan Boldin out (clearly an anomaly among 2nd round picks)
2nd round picks averaged 18 catches (18.1)
2nd round picks averaged 2 TDs (1.6)

Here's the list of 1st rounders
Calvin Johnson
Charles Rogers
Braylon Edwards
Larry Fitzgerald
Andre Johnson
Troy Williamson
Roy Williams
Ted Ginn Jr.
Reggie Williams
Mike Williams
Lee Evans
Michael Clayton
Bryant Johnson
Matt Jones
Mark Clayton
Dwayne Bowe
Santonio Holmes
Robert Meachem
Roddy White
Michael Jenkins
Craig Davis
Rashaun Woods
Anthony Gonzalez

and 2nd rounders
Reggie Brown
Chad Jackson
Mark Bradley
Sidney Rice
Sinorice Moss
Taylor Jacobs
Dwayne Jarrett
Bethel Johnson
Devery Henderson
Steve Smith
Greg Jennings
Darius Watts
Anquan Boldin
Roscoe Parrish
Terrence Murphy
Tyrone Calico
Vincent Jackson
Keary Colbert

The first round selections have not only a dramatic propensity to still be in the league, but dominate the 2nd round picks in quantity of pro bowl selections and starting positions.

With an open need at #2 receiver, it seems clear that a 2nd round pick is unlikely to get the job done in year 1 and beyond. We have two 2nd round receivers (Parrish, Reed) and both are clearly not #2 material.

We pick at #11, but recent history has shown that 1st year results do not show the first receiver taken as clearly the superior to the rest of the first round as practical thinking would infer.

If we pick a WR in round 2 instead of 1, be prepared for Josh Reed to get a lot of snaps at #2.
The best overall performance for a rookie receiver in the last 5 years has been an average of pick 17 (17.4)
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/fea...aluechart.html (http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/features/valuechart.html)
The value of trading down from pick 11 to pick 17 is (1250-950) 300 points or the 60th pick (near bottom quarter of the 2nd round)

So, logically-speaking, it is in the best interest of the Bills to trade down, pick the best WR available and pick up the extra 2nd. (of course you need to find a trade partner)

The cost of trading our 2nd up to pick 17 would be (950-480) 470 points or roughly-speaking our 2nd this year and next.
<!-- / message -->
<!-- controls --> http://boards.buffalobills.com/images/buttons/quote.gif (http://boards.buffalobills.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=714304)
</td></tr></tbody></table>