PDA

View Full Version : Sweed, Kelly, and ..... Thomas?

Midwesternbillsfan
03-16-2008, 10:27 AM
I am really wondering if Devin Thomas really might be the 'surprise' pick that Bills' fans know can't be eliminated as a possibility. Obviously, it's the general consensus so far that his value is not commensurate to the 11th pick (the highest I've seen him in any mock is him going 21st to the Redskins- that's in Don Banks' lastest from a couple of days ago; Pete Prisco has Thomas going to Tennessee at 24, the second-highest). Obviously, pundits' mocks aren't a reliable barometer- there was no mock that had Donte Whitner going 8th overall and almost all of them had him slotted in the early twenties, too. But here is what Thomas has in his favor, as far as Buffalo's concerned:

1) He isn't 6'4" like Kelly or Sweed, but he is 6'1" (7/8ths), so an 1/8th of an inch from being 6'2" (at a chiseled 215 pounds). And though Sweed's forty time of 4.48 at the Combine was impressive, Thomas ran a 4.40 that some have clocked as low as 4.32. Either way, he has the most speed of these three. Even though we're looking for size, it won't come at the expense of a good size/speed ratio. And Thomas also has exceptional 'run after the catch' skills.

2) Thomas is the only one of the three w/o persistent injury concerns. Sweed couldn't participate in the passing drills at the Combine because of his wrist injury and Kelly has yet to run a forty because of his own lingering quad issues. And it appears that Kelly has more injury concerns than most fans are aware of with an already reconstructed knee and an arthritic one, too.

3) While Thomas has only had one-year of production, what a year it was: 79 receptions, 1,260 yards, and 8 TD's in 13 games (7-100 yard games). That's impressive production and for those that worry that he might have a little Robert Meachem in him in that he only recently broke out, Thomas won't come to Saints' training camp at 235 pounds, 20 pounds higher than his listed weight. Thomas is described as an assiduous worker, on the practice field, the weight room, and the film room. It sounds like he could be prepared- it'll be up to the Bills to make the assessment.

Anyway, the Bills talked to Thomas at the Combine and have set up an individual workout w/him for this week, according to the Detroit Free Press and NFL Draft Scout. Speaking of NFL Draft Scout, the credible draft website also now has Thomas topping their WR rankings and says that he's rising fast as a prospect. He seems to be and I believe he'll have an opportunity to truly impress the Bills' brass at his workout. I think he will and though I'd look to move down 3-7 picks w/teams possibly looking to trade up, I believe he stands a reasonable chance to be our pick either way.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/players.php?genpos=WR&draftyear=2008&sortby=tsxpos&order=ASC

coastal
03-16-2008, 10:40 AM
Devin Thomas is the pick if we go wideout at 11.

Make no bones about it.

I'm kind of partial to Derrick Harvey with that pick, but that's because I would rather build a badass defense first.

Midwesternbillsfan
03-16-2008, 10:53 AM
Devin Thomas is the pick if we go wideout at 11.

Make no bones about it.

I'm kind of partial to Derrick Harvey with that pick, but that's because I would rather build a badass defense first.

Why do you feel so strongly? For reasons already given or some of your own?

coastal
03-16-2008, 10:55 AM
A couple of things on Thomas...

He played RB in high school and has mad RAC skills.

Also, his special teams ability should not be discounted when it comes to a team like the Buffalo Bills.

Bobby April has a lot of power in this organization.

**** these other tall drinks of water that are passing themselves off as football players.

They aren't.

This kid is.

mysticsoto
03-16-2008, 11:21 AM
Good posts. I'm starting to believe that the Bills will go with Thomas also. They seem to be paying him alot of attention and he has other qualities that he brings...you didn't mention that he also does kick returns. They may be looking to offload that duty from McGee, or even to spell him...or just to have the insurance of having another on the team that excels at it also! They likely would enjoy his speed as he will complement Evans well in that area and at just about 6'2", he is NOT small. The biggest thing you mention is him not having an injury to be forced to recover from - and the Bills might like that as well as the other things he brings to the table...

ParanoidAndroid
03-16-2008, 11:22 AM
It's tough to judge a player who only had one productive year. It would definately be a "chancy" pick.

Midwesternbillsfan
03-16-2008, 11:52 AM
It's tough to judge a player who only had one productive year. It would definately be a "chancy" pick.

True and it is important that at least he seems to have a work ethic that doesn't parallel Robert Meachem's, as I mentioned in the initial post. But just like many posters are inclined to give the Bills' doctors the final say about Malcolm Kelly's health, I'm inclined to give the Bills' brass the final say about the readiness of Devin Thomas.

Yasgur's Farm
03-16-2008, 12:01 PM
I'd be very happy with Thoms, Keller day 1.

ParanoidAndroid
03-16-2008, 12:09 PM
Just to make a comment on the reliability of NFL Draft Scout.com, they also show their wisdom by updating their draft on March 13th after most of the FA activity is done. So, they have the Bills picking Keith Rivers because we obviously still have a hole to fill at OLB. How much of their own homework do you suppose they do? Someone did not complete their assignments on time.

Confused
03-17-2008, 12:45 PM
How is he with jump balls? what is his verticle? can he take a hit across the middle. we have a RAC guy in parrish. can he get open? what is it 4.4 or 4.32?

I am wary of players that climb the board well after the season ends.

mysticsoto
03-17-2008, 12:50 PM
How is he with jump balls? what is his verticle? can he take a hit across the middle. we have a RAC guy in parrish. can he get open? what is it 4.4 or 4.32?

I am wary of players that climb the board well after the season ends.

This might help answer some of your questions:

A blurb on his positives:

Very good size with long arms and excellent bulk...Smooth natural athlete...Great timed speed...Extremely elusive and runs well after the catch...Terrific vision...Has reliable hands and he'll pluck the ball...Great leaping ability and ball skills...Tough, strong and physical...Is also an outstanding return man...Still has a ton of upside.

A recent article on him:

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080313/SPORTS07/803130395/1055

Philagape
03-17-2008, 01:30 PM
What I want to know is a WR's maturity, polish and readiness to be a pro. What are his practice habits? How coachable is he? How field smart is he?
We must have a guy who's ready to contribute immediately if not start. No projects.

Confused
03-17-2008, 01:37 PM
Hey Mystic, did you catch the part about Drew the jew Rosenhaus being Thomas' agent? That surely explains Thomas' metoric rise up the draft boards. This guy is nothing but Rosenhaus HYPE!!! We have all seen it before. PASS!!!!!!!

Hardy is our man.

mysticsoto
03-17-2008, 01:40 PM
What I want to know is a WR's maturity, polish and readiness to be a pro. What are his practice habits? How coachable is he? How field smart is he?
We must have a guy who's ready to contribute immediately if not start. No projects.

Even scouts whose job and life is dedicated to this can have trouble with some of those questions...

mysticsoto
03-17-2008, 01:43 PM
Hey Mystic, did you catch the part about Drew the jew Rosenhaus being Thomas' agent? That surely explains Thomas' metoric rise up the draft boards. This guy is nothing but Rosenhaus HYPE!!! We have all seen it before. PASS!!!!!!!

Hardy is our man.

That is certainly a HUGE negative. But I think he rose b'cse he proved he had speed and people are projecting that he will be the type of receiver that was seen in his senior year (of which he did great). He also brings alot of other things to his game (kick return, good blocking, etc). If we grab him, I would love to trade down 1st, but trading down is not always easy and we may not be able to...

All that being said, I still prefer to grab DRC and solidify our defense and then grab a WR in the 2nd and maybe 4th or 5th. I'm just stating what I think the Bills will likely do...

DraftBoy
03-17-2008, 01:47 PM
Thomas has a 28 vert at the combine and I believe 33 at his pro day

Confused
03-17-2008, 02:01 PM
The cheatriots are gonna take DRC I think. Mckelvin anyone?

X-Era
03-17-2008, 06:00 PM
I am really wondering if Devin Thomas really might be the 'surprise' pick that Bills' fans know can't be eliminated as a possibility. Obviously, it's the general consensus so far that his value is not commensurate to the 11th pick (the highest I've seen him in any mock is him going 21st to the Redskins- that's in Don Banks' lastest from a couple of days ago; Pete Prisco has Thomas going to Tennessee at 24, the second-highest). Obviously, pundits' mocks aren't a reliable barometer- there was no mock that had Donte Whitner going 8th overall and almost all of them had him slotted in the early twenties, too. But here is what Thomas has in his favor, as far as Buffalo's concerned:

1) He isn't 6'4" like Kelly or Sweed, but he is 6'1" (7/8ths), so an 1/8th of an inch from being 6'2" (at a chiseled 215 pounds). And though Sweed's forty time of 4.48 at the Combine was impressive, Thomas ran a 4.40 that some have clocked as low as 4.32. Either way, he has the most speed of these three. Even though we're looking for size, it won't come at the expense of a good size/speed ratio. And Thomas also has exceptional 'run after the catch' skills.

2) Thomas is the only one of the three w/o persistent injury concerns. Sweed couldn't participate in the passing drills at the Combine because of his wrist injury and Kelly has yet to run a forty because of his own lingering quad issues. And it appears that Kelly has more injury concerns than most fans are aware of with an already reconstructed knee and an arthritic one, too.

3) While Thomas has only had one-year of production, what a year it was: 79 receptions, 1,260 yards, and 8 TD's in 13 games (7-100 yard games). That's impressive production and for those that worry that he might have a little Robert Meachem in him in that he only recently broke out, Thomas won't come to Saints' training camp at 235 pounds, 20 pounds higher than his listed weight. Thomas is described as an assiduous worker, on the practice field, the weight room, and the film room. It sounds like he could be prepared- it'll be up to the Bills to make the assessment.

Anyway, the Bills talked to Thomas at the Combine and have set up an individual workout w/him for this week, according to the Detroit Free Press and NFL Draft Scout. Speaking of NFL Draft Scout, the credible draft website also now has Thomas topping their WR rankings and says that he's rising fast as a prospect. He seems to be and I believe he'll have an opportunity to truly impress the Bills' brass at his workout. I think he will and though I'd look to move down 3-7 picks w/teams possibly looking to trade up, I believe he stands a reasonable chance to be our pick either way.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/players.php?genpos=WR&draftyear=2008&sortby=tsxpos&order=ASC

It looks more and more that Thomas just may be the 1st WR taken and it could be to the Bills at 11.

He has the speed, size, and looks to have the ability we covet. Theres no off the field concerns.

X-Era
03-17-2008, 06:05 PM

Hardy is our man.

Dude spent 3 days in jail... thats not good for the Bills. I like him too... but its not looking good.

yordad
03-17-2008, 06:26 PM
The other big guys are considerably more productive in the red zone.

Oaf
03-17-2008, 11:27 PM
I want some dude that can bust some tackles over the middle, a la Andre Reed. We already got the open space master in Parrish.

Basically, I want quick slants, not bubble screens. (Watch half of DT's highlights.)

Confused
03-18-2008, 06:17 AM
on paper HArdy is a beast and a constant mismatch. I hope we draft him.

coastal
03-18-2008, 07:21 AM
Chris Brown mentioned Thomas on bb.com.

He's also mentioning Kellen Davis as a possibility in the third.

Assuming that is the way 1st and 3rd go down... what do we do in the 2nd?

DraftBoy
03-18-2008, 07:32 AM
Chris Brown mentioned Thomas on bb.com.

He's also mentioning Kellen Davis as a possibility in the third.

Assuming that is the way 1st and 3rd go down... what do we do in the 2nd?

We dont need to go Davis in the 3rd since he'll be there in the 4th and maybe the 5th. He is a potential type pick, with little production to hang his hat on.

coastal
03-18-2008, 07:40 AM
In my mock I have us taking him the 4th.

All I am saying is what I saw Chris Brown on bb.com write.

He menionted that you would have to take Davis in the 3rd to ensure you got him.

Then I posed a question.... assuming it went down that way, what we do in the 2nd?

I'm thinking CB.

DraftBoy
03-18-2008, 07:44 AM
In my mock I have us taking him the 4th.

All I am saying is what I saw Chris Brown on bb.com write.

He menionted that you would have to take Davis in the 3rd to ensure you got him.

Then I posed a question.... assuming it went down that way, what we do in the 2nd?

I'm thinking CB.

Maybe DE or LB at that point or DT. I wouldnt take anything Chris Brown says about draft projections as anything close to the truth. He does a good job reporting what the Bills give him but when he tries to reach beyond that, it shows.

eyedog
03-18-2008, 10:32 AM
1. DE
2. WR
3. CB
4. WR/TE
5-7 LB, OL, CB in any order

Confused
03-19-2008, 06:55 AM
Dude spent 3 days in jail... thats not good for the Bills. I like him too... but its not looking good.

drafting for charcter is soo stupid. I did some crazy/stupid **** when i was 21-22yrs. At 27 i am a totally different person. Why cant thay learn that people change or grow up?

mysticsoto
03-19-2008, 07:40 AM
drafting for charcter is soo stupid. I did some crazy/stupid **** when i was 21-22yrs. At 27 i am a totally different person. Why cant thay learn that people change or grow up?

B'cse they have to play and represent the club now...and they may still not be grown up...

DraftBoy
03-19-2008, 07:45 AM
Im sorry but any kind of physical violence towards women or infants is a big no no for me.

Confused
03-19-2008, 07:55 AM
I think its water under the bridge. He hasnt been in trouble since to my knowledge. As bad as what he did seemed, the fickle sports world still holds this guy in very high regard. Meaning, he's good enough, that an isolated incedent like that wont tarnish his rep as a prospect to badly. I personally think D.Mcfadden has much more poteintal to be another pacman than Hardy does.

Confused
03-19-2008, 07:58 AM
Im sorry but any kind of physical violence towards women or infants is a big no no for me.

:calm:

patmoran2006
03-20-2008, 09:02 AM
They better trade down then.
I dont see anyway this guy goes in the Top 14-15 picks.