PDA

View Full Version : Fitzgerald’s Arizona pact means a big deal for Evans is in the cards

Dr. Lecter
03-16-2008, 12:46 PM
The ripple effect from the big contract receiver Larry Fitzgerald signed with Arizona last week will be felt in Buffalo.

Fitzgerald, a two-time Pro Bowler, became the highest-paid receiver in the NFL by signing a four-year, $40 million deal. Fitzgerald, 27, gets $30 million guaranteed. That eclipsed the extension New England gave to Randy Moss, who will get an average of $9 million a year over three years.

Fitzgerald’s deal is the latest escalation of the receiver pay scale, and it’s going to make it harder for the Bills to work out an extension with their No. 1 wideout, Lee Evans.

Bernard Berrian, who isn’t as good as Evans, got $16 million guaranteed from Minnesota on a six-year deal that averages $7 million a year.

Evans’ contract in effect runs out after the 2008 season. (He has the ability to void the last year of it, 2009, which he certainly will do.)

Put yourself in Evans’ shoes. He’s in a pass offense that has ranked in the bottom six in the NFL five years in a row. Would you really want to hitch your wagon to the Bills for another five or six years without seeing some concrete evidence — on the field in some regular-season games — that the Buffalo attack is going to escape from this black hole?

Wouldn’t you want to see some more evidence that Trent Edwards is “The Real Answer” at quarterback? Edwards showed promise as a rookie, for sure. But if he takes a step back this year, there’s no light at the end of the tunnel for the offense.

The Bills no doubt will try to convince Evans that this team is on the cusp of winning; that the head coach has great respect among the players; that the front office showed its commitment by making moves to bolster the defense; that new offensive coordinator Turk Schonert will make a big difference; that a draft choice (or two) will be the final piece of the puzzle.

Still, if I’m Evans, I’d want to wait until at least October to see some proof on the field.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/billsnfl/story/300514.html

This is one of the reason why signing guys is not as easy as some think it is.

Devin
03-16-2008, 01:16 PM
ouch.

Scumbag College
03-16-2008, 01:17 PM
I can forsee Evans being franchised and traded after this year.

patmoran2006
03-16-2008, 01:37 PM
Id like to see him do something in 2008.

This is a difficult situation. ON one hand, he's CLEARLY our best WR and he was awesome in 2006.

On the other hand, he did next to nothing last year and its risky to give him a ton of money right now. Then again, it's a risk to NOT extend him, watch him have a huge season and then leave (or forced to get franchised)

My feeling PERSONALY is if I was GM, I wouldn't extend him right now, NOT if he's going to try to get money comparable to Fitz or moss. Let him play the season out and if he's top 5 WR worthy, then franchise him if necessary and work like hell on a long term deal. If he's worth the money, give it to him- and that scares me about this FO

Nighthawk
03-16-2008, 01:37 PM
Lee is not as good as Fitz...that's what makes it tough to sign guys. These players all think they're as good as the next guy...well, they're not and Evans isn't.

Confused
03-16-2008, 01:56 PM
Lee is gone. Why cant we keep Elite WR's and Elite CB's here?!

oh yeah.....we are cheap as ****!!!!

YardRat
03-16-2008, 02:06 PM
Evans might be worth Berrian-money, but no way is he in the same category as Moss or Fitzgerald. If he's looking for that kind of contract it won't be too hard to say goodbye.

Bone
03-16-2008, 02:42 PM
If we don't give him a deal this season, he's gone. He will get sick money in FA.

We know what hes capable of doing, he jsut needs some help. He doesn't need to prove anything to us.

Earthquake Enyart
03-16-2008, 02:44 PM
It would be prudent to negotiate an extension for somewhere between Barrien and Fitzgerald money.

Dr. Lecter
03-16-2008, 02:49 PM

No we are not.

Mahdi
03-16-2008, 03:00 PM
The ripple effect from the big contract receiver Larry Fitzgerald signed with Arizona last week will be felt in Buffalo.

Fitzgerald, a two-time Pro Bowler, became the highest-paid receiver in the NFL by signing a four-year, $40 million deal. Fitzgerald, 27, gets $30 million guaranteed. That eclipsed the extension New England gave to Randy Moss, who will get an average of $9 million a year over three years.

Fitzgerald’s deal is the latest escalation of the receiver pay scale, and it’s going to make it harder for the Bills to work out an extension with their No. 1 wideout, Lee Evans.

Bernard Berrian, who isn’t as good as Evans, got $16 million guaranteed from Minnesota on a six-year deal that averages $7 million a year.

Evans’ contract in effect runs out after the 2008 season. (He has the ability to void the last year of it, 2009, which he certainly will do.)

Put yourself in Evans’ shoes. He’s in a pass offense that has ranked in the bottom six in the NFL five years in a row. Would you really want to hitch your wagon to the Bills for another five or six years without seeing some concrete evidence — on the field in some regular-season games — that the Buffalo attack is going to escape from this black hole?

Wouldn’t you want to see some more evidence that Trent Edwards is “The Real Answer” at quarterback? Edwards showed promise as a rookie, for sure. But if he takes a step back this year, there’s no light at the end of the tunnel for the offense.

The Bills no doubt will try to convince Evans that this team is on the cusp of winning; that the head coach has great respect among the players; that the front office showed its commitment by making moves to bolster the defense; that new offensive coordinator Turk Schonert will make a big difference; that a draft choice (or two) will be the final piece of the puzzle.

Still, if I’m Evans, I’d want to wait until at least October to see some proof on the field.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/billsnfl/story/300514.html

This is one of the reason why signing guys is not as easy as some think it is.
Fitzgerald isn't 27 though,,,

venis2k1
03-16-2008, 03:03 PM
Who are all these elite WRs we cant seem to keep. as for CB goes, Clements got 90 fricken million, we arent cheap for not matching that, we are sane.

Winfield however, wish we made an effort to resign.

Confused
03-16-2008, 04:48 PM
I gaurantee a bidding war when evans

TacklingDummy
03-16-2008, 04:59 PM
Bye Lee

It's become more clear everyday that the Bills will be picking WR in the 1st round.

raphael120
03-16-2008, 05:45 PM
well whatever happens, you need to get something in exchange if Evans is leaving.

more and more reason for us to go WR in first round because we may well be drafting a Lee Evans replacement.

clumping platelets
03-16-2008, 10:11 PM

What Elite CB's or WR's have we lost? :huh:

jamze132
03-17-2008, 03:47 AM
Let's not foget, we can legally apply the franshise tag two years in a row to Lee if we really wanted to be a dick. At least then we would have 3 more years of his services while our young superstar who we are going to draft in April has time to take over the #1 spot. of course his second tag would be VERY expensive and probably not worth it. Just a thought...

I really hope this can all be avoided and we can just re-sign him sometime in the middle of the season.

TacklingDummy
03-17-2008, 05:46 AM

Winfield
Clements

not sure about any WR's

Not many ex-Bills go on to shine elsewhere.

Night Train
03-17-2008, 05:47 AM

Answer. NONE.

Winfield was a great tackler, after his man already caught the ball. Nate was hot and cold.

WR ?

colin
03-17-2008, 12:02 PM
winfield and clements were big losses, clements obviously at a high cost, but with 20 20 hindsight we should have singed antoine if we could have.

losing evans will hurt, but fo sho he is gonna be really expensive. maybe we franchise 1 year, then franchise and trade if our young gun is just coming on?

i think evans and a big physical talented guy along w a tight end who can hurt you is a serious set of weapons. with our line (maybe with a C or RG upgrade) trent and the rest of the back field getting better and sticking together some quality WR threats could really do damage.