• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

Our Next FA move will determine our draft

This is what I think.

Whomever we sign next, is going to determine what happens with the 11th pick.

And I also think we're going to take a TE regardless in round two.

But if we sign a guy like Hackett or Jackson, and all indications are that hasn't even been discussed or considered by Bills brass, then I think we are going CB in round one, and maybe a WR in the third round.

If we sign a CB like say James (who was in town last week) then I definitely think we're not taking a CB before round three, maybe even later.

Of course, maybe both could happen, although it's highly unlikely. But while its fun as hell to start making mock drafts and stuff this early; I also think it's semi-senseless due to the fact that one player signing could change everything.

I almost fell for it. I was going to do a mock right before FA and I had Keith Rivers coming to Buffalo; but that got shot down the second we signed Mitchell.

Bottom line, if we can get some decent players here before the draft; it gives us options. THere are still CB's out there, and a few WR's left. Tight End is pretty much guarenteed to be a day one pick now.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE
  • venis2k1
    Youboty can hope
    • Jul 2002

Re: Our Next FA move will determine our draft

Heres one thing ive learned from watching the bills draft...expect to be supprised, hell the last time me and the bills agreed on a pick it was mike williams. oooops.

my pick in parentheses

Mike Williams (Mike Williams)
    Willis McGahee (William Joseph after Jeff Faine got snatched 2 spots ahead)
    Lee Evans (Tommie Harris...i was speechless when we took evans)
    Donte Whitner (Haloti Ngata i know i wasnt alone on this one)
    Marshawn Lynch (Brady Quinn after he "slipped" to us...Lynch was a no brainer before that...I wasnt on the JP bandwagon like most of the people here)

Comment

• TigerJ
      • Jul 2002

I have seen a mock or two done in the last 3-4 days that still has Buffalo picking Keith Rivers. Duh! I tend not to do mock drafts, but I love to look at the mocks others do and shoot them down. BTW, I certainly agree that what the Bills do in free agency will strongly influence draft strategy, and since I don't expect more than one or two more signings before the draft, the next one could have a great impact.
      I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• evol4276
        • Oct 2005

that's a really good, well thought out thread pat, and i fully agree with you. the only thing is i don't see us making any significant signings from here 'til draft day in either positions. if anything we might sign another hankton-type wr who won't even be on the team, and then draft a wr early anyways. but i dont think there's anyone worth getting wr-wise in the market left now, as i stated in the johnson signing thread. i see us hitting up a wr early this year, followed closely by te, that way we try getting the best or close to the best out of both positions, giving us the "projected" best chance of advancing our offensive talent after drafttime.

Comment

• Michael82
          • Jul 2002

Very good post, pat! I was thinking the same thing. If they sign another pass rushing DE, then they are set there and won't draft a DE until late on the 2nd day. If they sign a CB, they will definitely NOT take another CB until day 2. If they make a trade for a WR, or sign one, they will most likely wait until round 2 or 3 to draft one, even though I don't agree with that. It does make sense.

Comment

• LifetimeBillsFan
            All-Pro Zoner
            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by patmoran2006
            This is what I think.

But if we sign a guy like Hackett or Jackson, and all indications are that hasn't even been discussed or considered by Bills brass, then I think we are going CB in round one, and maybe a WR in the third round.

If we sign a CB like say James (who was in town last week) then I definitely think we're not taking a CB before round three, maybe even later.

Of course, maybe both could happen, although it's highly unlikely. But while its fun as hell to start making mock drafts and stuff this early; I also think it's semi-senseless due to the fact that one player signing could change everything.

I almost fell for it. I was going to do a mock right before FA and I had Keith Rivers coming to Buffalo; but that got shot down the second we signed Mitchell.

Bottom line, if we can get some decent players here before the draft; it gives us options. THere are still CB's out there, and a few WR's left. Tight End is pretty much guarenteed to be a day one pick now.
            Excellent post, Pat. My thinking precisely.

I was surprised that the Bills made the moves that they did on defense at the beginning of free agency, but perhaps I shouldn't have been. The quality really wasn't there at the offensive positions that the Bills needed to fill most--while the draft is deep at those positions.

I was never a big B.Johnson fan to begin with, but, with Wilford--who I didn't see as being that great either--choosing to go to Miami (I suspected he might want to stay in Florida) and Hackett wanting to take any offer he gets back to Seattle, he seemed like the best of a bad lot. But, only if the Bills could get him at the right price--I didn't want them to over-spend to get him and I'm glad they didn't.

If the Bills can pick up a piece or two that they need on defense--James and/or Hall would be good additions if they can get them--they will be in a position to add a couple of potential play-makers at TE and WR from this draft who can solve those issues for them going forward. And still pick up a young player to groom on defense (a DT or CB, depending on what they can do at CB in free agency).

While I don't know about a trade (trades are so difficult to predict), I do feel that there may yet be some WRs hitting the market before training camp who might be able to help the Bills while they bring along a young WR that they take in this year's draft.

I quite agree with you that what the Bills are able to do in free agency before the draft will have a huge impact on what they do in the draft and I think that they will definitely try to make a key addition or two before the draft. But, even then, I don't think that they will be done putting all of the pieces of the team together until right before training camp opens and I wouldn't be surprised if they were to make an important pick up or two from the players that get cut during the preseason this year.

I think Jauron and Co. are serious about trying to make a run at a playoff berth this season, but they want to do it a certain way and aren't going to make a move just to fill a spot if doing so is going to prevent them from doing something that they feel is important at another position--no matter how important filling that spot appears to be.

That's going to make a lot of fans nervous, but IMHO that's how they have decided that they want to play things out. It's going to be interesting to see how that works out, though., because it will be a real test of their judgement.
            Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it. And, thus it was that they surrendered their freedom; not with a bang, but without even a whimper.

Comment

Originally posted by venis2k1
              Heres one thing ive learned from watching the bills draft...expect to be supprised, hell the last time me and the bills agreed on a pick it was mike williams. oooops.

my pick in parentheses

Mike Williams (Mike Williams)
              Willis McGahee (William Joseph after Jeff Faine got snatched 2 spots ahead)
              Lee Evans (Tommie Harris...i was speechless when we took evans)
              Donte Whitner (Haloti Ngata i know i wasnt alone on this one)
              Marshawn Lynch (Brady Quinn after he "slipped" to us...Lynch was a no brainer before that...I wasnt on the JP bandwagon like most of the people here)
              I think the principle issue is WE WILL NOT BE DRIVEN BY FREE AGENCY TALENT to determine who we will go after in the draft.

Already the 49ers signing of Bryant Johnson has resulted in the cutting of Darnell Jackson who might make an interesting No2.

There will be other 'roster adjustments' prior to and after the draft, and I don't think the Front Office will be foolish enough to state that we must take a certain position at a certain round.

Even last year, it was not certain we ought to take a RB at No12. What might it difficult for the front office was that there was a massive fall off after Peterson and Lynch.

This year there might be a dozen WRs all capable of starting in their first season, and half a dozen TEs to.

This year, the options at No11 at certain position such as WR, represented a significant risk whether through injury or just all round performance.

Likewise, TE at No41 could well be a reach, because whilst the leading TE has put up gaudy numbers on a very good team, he does not have proto-typical TE size that might easily transfer to the proleague

Comment

• Akhippo
                • Nov 2002

At this point in FA, any pickups shouldnt have any bearing on the draft. So if we pick up P Price we wont go after a WR in the first. Or some scrub DB takes knocks any DB out of the first.

If we pick up CB James i can see that altering our later round need for a DB. But only from the 5th on does FA affect our choices.

Its all about value and what you can get at what pick from here on out.
                Buy land in AK now. In ten years due to global warming, it will be the new tropical paradise, minus the tropics

Comment

• X-Era
                  What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                  • Feb 2005

Originally posted by patmoran2006
                  This is what I think.

I was thinking to myself that this was the 1st time you and I were on the same page in a long time... until your last stanza.

I think there is little if any chance we sign another player who is bonafide starter material prior to the draft. Depth guys? sure, I could see that.

I think were taking a WR at 11, the more I look at it. Im just not sure who it is... no one else is either... maybe even not the Bills.

The only monkey wrench IMO is DRC, not McKelvin, not Jenkins. I could really see us drafting him or thinking long and hard about it at least.

I agree that round 2 is a likely spot for a TE. My picks are now Fred Davis or Dustin Keller. Thats my new 1 and 2.

Comment

Working...
                  X