PDA

View Full Version : D.J. Hackett to Carolina

Ickybaluky
03-17-2008, 11:29 AM
Per Rotoworld:

Scout.com's Adam Caplan reports the Panthers and WR D.J. Hackett have reached agreement on a two-year, $3.5 million contract.

That's a pretty good deal for a productive guy, when healthy.

gr8slayer
03-17-2008, 11:35 AM
Thank god.

Romes
03-17-2008, 11:35 AM
Now its just a matter of which WR the bills will select at #11.

ptd86
03-17-2008, 11:47 AM
2 year 3.5 million?? how is it that little amount? josh reed and peerless price got more... doesnt sound right especially with this new market in wr's

Tatonka
03-17-2008, 11:51 AM
holy **** i am pissed now. for 4 million dollars, we could have had him?? na.. lets throw a rookie in there and hope to god he isnt a charles rogers.

great..

unbelievable.

who needs another wr who averages 100 yards a game 4 out of 7 games and tds at the same ratio.

Mahdi
03-17-2008, 11:59 AM
holy **** i am pissed now. for 4 million dollars, we could have had him?? na.. lets throw a rookie in there and hope to god he isnt a charles rogers.

great..

unbelievable.

who needs another wr who averages 100 yards a game 4 out of 7 games and tds at the same ratio.
Maybe he didnt want to come to Buffalo.... Some WRs are intimidated by the weather and figure we would be more of a run first team....

Tatonka
03-17-2008, 12:05 PM
for an extra million bucks, he would have come. period.

that is a 25% pay increase.

Mahdi
03-17-2008, 12:15 PM
for an extra million bucks, he would have come. period.

that is a 25% pay increase.
The other thing is that he took a 2 year deal in Carolina,,, I think the Bills were only looking at someone who was young that would sign for several years,,,and it makes sense,,, I wanted Hackett but im not that upset about not getting him...

The only problem now is that we can't go DE in round 1 anymore. I was hoping for Harvey.

Now I think were forced to go WR with our first pick then go TE with our second and DE or CB with our 3rd.

Ickybaluky
03-17-2008, 12:18 PM
I think not looking at a guy who only wants to sign short-term is dumb. If you have a need, fill it and draft your long-term guy. The whole "he only wants to sign a 1-year deal" thing makes no sense. Cap-wise, it is a good deal.

Mr. Miyagi
03-17-2008, 12:28 PM
Does that mean Dwayne Jarrett could get released?

They now have a very crowded WR corp, Steve Smith, Hackett, Muhammad, and Jarrett.

Philagape
03-17-2008, 12:29 PM
This no short deals policy is STUPID. A short deal carries no risk. There is no reason not to do it. If a guy does well and wants a better deal, then he's earned it.

This is absolutely ****ing outrageous. We could have had him for a cheap, no-risk contract. Carolina just got a lot better for a hell of a bargain. He's a perfect complerment to Smith just as he would have been to Evans.

SON OF A B****!!!!

gr8slayer
03-17-2008, 12:29 PM
Does that mean Dwayne Jarrett could get released?

They now have a very crowded WR corp, Steve Smith, Hackett, Muhammad, and Jarrett.
Why would they release Jarrett one year after drafting him? If anyone's going its Muhammad.

Philagape
03-17-2008, 12:34 PM
unbelievable ... less than what Peerless got two years ago. Even if he's not the answer, that's basically trying him out for free, especially with all the cap room that's still left. Nothing to lose.

Courtney ****ing Anderson got a two-year deal!!!

DBrown77
03-17-2008, 12:35 PM
Jarrett was horrible in Carolina last year. halfway through the year he still didnt know the playbook and Steve Smith called him out in a local interview. Last week Jarrett got a DUI here in Charlotte too. He has bust written all over him

Mr. Miyagi
03-17-2008, 12:41 PM
Why would they release Jarrett one year after drafting him? If anyone's going its Muhammad.
They just signed Muhammad.

Mr. Miyagi
03-17-2008, 12:42 PM
unbelievable ... less than what Peerless got two years ago. Even if he's not the answer, that's basically trying him out for free, especially with all the cap room that's still left. Nothing to lose.

Courtney ****ing Anderson got a two-year deal!!!
You guys are all assuming that we had no interest in him. Maybe he didn't want to play for Buffalo? Maybe he turned down our invitation to visit?

Don't jump the gun and blow a cap.

Ickybaluky
03-17-2008, 12:43 PM

A big reason they signed Muhammed is to provide leadership, and Jarrett was the player they had in mind to be led. I think they hope he shows Jarrett what it takes to be a pro. It is a package deal.

Dr. Lecter
03-17-2008, 12:44 PM
Hackett is a slot receiver, not an outside guy.

Not all WRs are the same. The Bills already have slot guys in Reed and Parrish, what they need are outside guys.

gr8slayer
03-17-2008, 12:45 PM
It's not uncommon for guys that were just signed to be let go. My point is that they aren't going to release a guy who they just drafted and gave up a high pick for.

don137
03-17-2008, 12:48 PM
A big reason they signed Muhammed is to provide leadership, and Jarrett was the player they had in mind to be led. I think they hope he shows Jarrett what it takes to be a pro. It is a package deal.

Agreed...I think it is a big wake up call to Jarrett that nothing in this league is a given. Jarrett will probably be the 4th WR this year. With Hackett's injury history I doubt they will get rid of anyone. Plus, Muhammed is not that expensive either.

Philagape
03-17-2008, 12:49 PM
You guys are all assuming that we had no interest in him. Maybe he didn't want to play for Buffalo? Maybe he turned down our invitation to visit?

Don't jump the gun and blow a cap.

This FO hasn't earned the benefit of the doubt.

Dr. Lecter
03-17-2008, 12:50 PM
This FO hasn't earned the benefit of the doubt.

Then we should all panic and over-react to not signing an injury prone slot WR who does not fill our need at WR.

madness
03-17-2008, 12:55 PM
Hackett was not a good fit for the Bills. We're looking for a WR with the potential to have a long and fruitful career, not a one hit wonder.

We're not a contender looking for a missing piece people. Build thoughtfully and carefully not hasitly.

Mr. Miyagi
It's not uncommon for guys that were just signed to be let go. My point is that they aren't going to release a guy who they just drafted and gave up a high pick for.
No? WR Mike Williams ring a bell? Troy Williamson? Jeff Faine?

Plus, he was a second rounder, not that high of a pick. I agree it's uncommon, but not impossible.

Philagape
Hackett was a STARTER last year with Seattle when he was averaging close to six catches a game and a TD every other game.

Mr. Miyagi
03-17-2008, 12:56 PM
Then we should all panic and over-react to not signing an injury prone slot WR who does not fill our need at WR.
I agree. I'm gonna jump off the bridge this afternoon. See you guys on the other side. :gnight:

Philagape
03-17-2008, 12:56 PM
Hackett was not a good fit for the Bills. We're looking for a WR with the potential to have a long and fruitful career, not a one hit wonder.

We're not a contender looking for a missing piece people. Build thoughtfully and carefully not hasitly.

The guy's only 26 and was getting better every year!

Dr. Lecter
03-17-2008, 12:57 PM
Hackett was a STARTER last year with Seattle when he was averaging close to six catches a game and a TD every other game.

At the wrong position though.

The Bills don't need a slot WR. They need an outside WR.

Dr. Lecter
03-17-2008, 12:57 PM
I agree. I'm gonna jump off the bridge this afternoon. See you guys on the other side. :gnight:

Can I have your ZoneBux?

madness
03-17-2008, 12:59 PM

Especially a WR who was trying to up his worth in FA but who's first priority was to sign with his old team.

Hackett's true worth was definitely revealed.

Mr. Miyagi
03-17-2008, 01:00 PM
Can I have your ZoneBux?
Greed is one of the seven deadly sins.

I'll wave down at you from heaven. :bigwave:

Philagape
03-17-2008, 01:01 PM
At the wrong position though.

The Bills don't need a slot WR. They need an outside WR.

He was their starting split end. Seattle used a FB and TE, not a base 3-WR set.
http://www.nfl.com/teams/seattleseahawks/depthchart?team=SEA

madness
03-17-2008, 01:03 PM
The guy's only 26 and was getting better every year!

:rofl: Hackett couldn't cut it on a roster full of underperforming receivers in a pass happy offense.

Philagape
03-17-2008, 01:04 PM
The Bills don't get him, so suddenly he's not right for us. That's how it works in homerland.

Ickybaluky
03-17-2008, 01:04 PM
Hackett is a good fit because the Bills don't that that kind of possession guy on their roster. He keeps chains moving. They could have signed him and still drafted a WR high, and wouldn't have lost anything. It is unfair to dismiss him as a slot WR, he isn't limited in that way.

That said, it isn't like they lost out on Terrell Owens. Hackett is a good player, but he has to show he can stay healthy.

Philagape
03-17-2008, 01:07 PM
:rofl: Hackett couldn't cut it on a roster full of underperforming receivers in a pass happy offense.

Averaging six catches a game, with 100 yards and a TD in three of the five full games he played, isn't cutting it???? :rofl:

madness
03-17-2008, 01:11 PM
The Bills don't get him, so suddenly he's not right for us. That's how it works in homerland.

Whatever you have to tell yourself to get you through to the morning. I didn't want him from the start.

Mahdi
03-17-2008, 01:12 PM
This no short deals policy is STUPID. A short deal carries no risk. There is no reason not to do it. If a guy does well and wants a better deal, then he's earned it.

This is absolutely ****ing outrageous. We could have had him for a cheap, no-risk contract. Carolina just got a lot better for a hell of a bargain. He's a perfect complerment to Smith just as he would have been to Evans.

SON OF A B****!!!!
I like the no short deals with young players policy,,, why would a team that is building for the future waste time with a player that is only looking for a 1 year contract to prove himself with then bolt to the highest bidder?

The Bills want to put the pieces in place that they will move on with for the next 10 years ala the Colts.... Their team is perfectly built and designed. The players they have locked up for the rest of their careers are perfect for their system ie. Freeney, Mathis, Brackett, Sanders, Manning, Wayne, Harrison.

Im 100% sure that the Bills are following in the Colts footsteps...

They want their #1 and #2 receivers locked up for years and preferably drafted by them... Franchise QB, 2 DEs, MLB and safety.

If the Bills can put a core of players together that will stay together for the next 10 years the we can also have similar success.

And as a sidenote im not saying that Evans is that #1 that they envision but whoever it is they want continuity going forward at that position.

Philagape
03-17-2008, 01:15 PM
I like the no short deals with young players policy,,, why would a team that is building for the future waste time with a player that is only looking for a 1 year contract to prove himself with then bolt to the highest bidder?

God forbid we should be the highest bidder.

And Hackett got two years. We're signing garbage like Courtney Anderson and Teyo Johnson, so why not another no-risk deal? At that deal, Hackett would have been just another body with no big expectations, and we'd still draft a WR high. Nothing to lose, everything to gain.

madness
03-17-2008, 01:17 PM
Averaging six catches a game, with 100 yards and a TD in three of the five full games he played, isn't cutting it???? :rofl:

Wow, he played in 5 whole games?

I thought I mentioned the part of being in a pass happy offense. There's no way he comes even close to that production on any other team except NE.

Such massive stats for a player who ended up being a 3rd tier FA. :rolleyes:

Philagape
03-17-2008, 01:20 PM
Wow, he played in 5 whole games?

I thought I mentioned the part of being in a pass happy offense. There's no way he comes even close to that production on any other team except NE.

Such massive stats for a player who ended up being a 3rd tier FA. :rolleyes:

And as I mentioned in another thread, Hackett was in the top 10 of all WRs in catches when he's targeted. It wasn't the offense, it was him.

Philagape
03-17-2008, 01:22 PM
Obviously it was the injuries that scared teams off. That's why one team was smart enough to get him basically for free. Low risk, high reward.

Dr. Lecter
03-17-2008, 01:38 PM
http://www.seahawks.com/News/News.aspx?id=48226

Hackett had a career-year in 2006, recording 45 receptions for 610 yards and 4 touchdowns – playing primarily in the slot while Bobby Engram was dealing with a thyroid condition. Hackett, 25, was a fifth round draft choice out of Colorado in 2004.

he would have been nice to sign. But he is not an All-Star type of player.

Dr. Lecter
03-17-2008, 01:39 PM
God forbid we should be the highest bidder.

And Hackett got two years. We're signing garbage like Courtney Anderson and Teyo Johnson, so why not another no-risk deal? At that deal, Hackett would have been just another body with no big expectations, and we'd still draft a WR high. Nothing to lose, everything to gain.

Being the highest bidder does not make a team the wisest.

Mr. Miyagi
03-17-2008, 01:41 PM
Some people really need to chill.

Philagape
03-17-2008, 01:42 PM

Hackett had a career-year in 2006, recording 45 receptions for 610 yards and 4 touchdowns – playing primarily in the slot while Bobby Engram was dealing with a thyroid condition. Hackett, 25, was a fifth round draft choice out of Colorado in 2004.

That's 2006.

Mr. Miyagi
03-17-2008, 01:59 PM
And in 2007 he played what, 6 games?

Tatonka
03-17-2008, 02:02 PM

underperforming receivers?? branch and engram are both very good receivers.

and engram is the slot receiver.. so stop with the "hackett didnt fit the bills because he was a slot guy" crap. he wasnt a slot guy.

the bills dropped the ball.. and we will pay for depending on a rookie.

madness
03-17-2008, 02:03 PM
Time to start a daycare.

Tatonka
03-17-2008, 04:41 PM
hackett got the same contract courtney anderson got..

:roflmao:

way to fill a need.

lets take a "huge risk" on anderson who is almost assured to be no better than the 3rd string te if he even makes it through training camp.. but we can take a chance on hackett.

but you guys are fine with anderson.. cause he is a great bargain.

YardRat
03-17-2008, 05:02 PM
I think not looking at a guy who only wants to sign short-term is dumb. If you have a need, fill it and draft your long-term guy. The whole "he only wants to sign a 1-year deal" thing makes no sense. Cap-wise, it is a good deal.

Regardless of what player or position you're discussing, whether he's a 'fit' or not, etc, I agree with NE39. It's a stupid philosophy.

jpdex12
03-17-2008, 07:14 PM

SON OF A B****!!!!

Better watch out Phil. Dr. Flector will yell at you for insinuating cuss words!

Speaking of this, there have been posters on this site defending Buffalo against accusations of being called CHEAP a**es. That is exactly what we were on the offensive side of the ball this off season. We did a great job on defense and last year on the o-line but we have neglected a BIG void in the #2 veteran WR spot.

OBD turned cheap as hell all of a sudden especially when you look at what Hackett got in Carolina. You mean to tell me that OBD couldn't have singed Johnson for a bit more and bend a little bit? We couldn't sign Johnson for a 2 year $4 mill deal and as another poster mentioned draft your long term answer? Very bad move! This is pathetic considering how much we paid a luke warn Langston Walker last year.

For those of you that critisized me for cussing in asteriscs and calling our Bills cheap shame on you for not seeing through this negligence from OBD.

I love my Bills and think we are on the right track but for not getting some much needed veteran FA WR help fro Evans...not good. Pushes us back one more year from the playoffs.

jpdex12
03-17-2008, 07:17 PM
Being the highest bidder does not make a team the wisest.

But relying on a rookie WR to help take you to the playoffs in 2008 is!

The amazing Calvin Johnson couldn't do it for Detroit last year but we can expect it from one of those other rookies this year.

jpdex12
03-17-2008, 07:19 PM

You are right. Let's stick with Josh Reed and 5'9" 178 lb Roscoe Parrish. They'll get us over the hump.

evol4276
03-17-2008, 08:07 PM
i really dont see how hackett wuld be any more useful for us here. then we'd have, what? 3 slot recievers? ok he might be an upgrade but we dont need an upgrade at #3. we need an upgrade at #2. just because he had ok years in a good system doesnt mean he'd do jack here, nor does it mean anyone should make such a big deal over it. i think sometimes people get excited over semi-names from other teams without really realizing what the situation is

Tatonka
03-17-2008, 09:15 PM
jesus.. for the 10th time.. hackett is not a ****ing slot receiver. he is 6' and played outside last year..

branch and he were outside.. engram was in the slot..

the very good numbers he put up last year were on the outside.

it doesnt matter now, but i am sick of seeing people post that over and over. it just is not true.

he played the slot the year before because engram was hurt and they had branch and jackson on the outside.

Philagape
03-17-2008, 09:19 PM
You are right. Let's stick with Josh Reed and 5'9" 178 lb Roscoe Parrish. They'll get us over the hump.

No reason whatsoever to be the slightest upset. We'll be fine with Reed or a rookie starting. :insane:

gr8slayer
03-17-2008, 09:32 PM
You should really watch football sometime and quit watching highlight clips on Youtube and looking at stats. There's a lot more that goes into being a good player than what kind of stats a person puts up.

Tatonka
03-17-2008, 09:44 PM
i watched every game that hackett played in this year.. he is a good receiver.

im still waiting on that dvd Gr8, the one that you said you have of every game hackett played this year.

your the one that is talking out of his ass.. if you watched the games, you never would have said he was a slot guy in the first place.

gr8slayer
03-17-2008, 09:46 PM
i watched every game that hackett played in this year.. he is a good receiver.

im still waiting on that dvd Gr8, the one that you said you have of every game hackett played this year.

your the one that is talking out of his ass.. if you watched the games, you never would have said he was a slot guy in the first place.
Still waiting for you to send me your information and the money for shipping.

BTW, I said he was a #3 WR at best. And I still find it highly unlikely that you watched any of his games, if you had you wouldn't be obsessed with the guy because he's nothing special.

Tatonka
03-17-2008, 09:48 PM
did you not say he was a slot receiver?

Tatonka
03-17-2008, 09:49 PM
and i had him and hassleback on my fantasy team. i watched every game he played this year.

there is no point in arguing since he is a panther now.. but when he is starting there and does well for the same price we paid a total piece of **** like courtney anderson, i hope you will man up and admit you were way the **** off.

Philagape
03-17-2008, 09:50 PM
You should really watch football sometime and quit watching highlight clips on Youtube and looking at stats. There's a lot more that goes into being a good player than what kind of stats a person puts up.

Ice, you're the last person who should be telling anyone how to evaluate a player. Last year all you could say about Edwards was the one TD pass in blah-blah games, so don't go talking about overemphasizing stats. I have watched Hackett play, and that confirms his stats.

gr8slayer
03-17-2008, 09:53 PM
did you not say he was a slot receiver?
When Engram and Branch were healthy he was the #3. Generally speaking your #3 is your Slot WR so if that's what you're asking then yes.

Let's think about this logically. I'm not denying that he would likely be the second best WR on this team. But if he were that cherished by Seattle don't you think they would have given him the joke of a contract he got from Carolina? Have you seen him run block? Have you noticed that he ducks his head when going across the middle? Have you seen his route running? Have you seen the drops? It's the small things he does wrong and I for one am glad that we chose not to overpay for the guy. Now I would have paid him what Carolina game him but I'm sure we had our reasons starting with injuries.

gr8slayer
03-17-2008, 09:55 PM
Ice, you're the last person who should be telling anyone how to evaluate a player. Last year all you could say about Edwards was the one TD pass in blah-blah games, so don't go talking about overemphasizing stats. I have watched Hackett play, and that confirms his stats.
What you don't know could fill a book. You have proven time and time again that you are an ESPN crony and don't actually watch any film. I'd question whether you've even played the game at any level past middle school.

There's no denying that our offense lacked the ability to score last year with both QB's and Edwards wasn't helping.

Please, break down his games from this year, I have my break-down in writing. Perhaps we can exchange since you're seeing something I'm not.

Philagape
03-17-2008, 10:16 PM
Some of the biggest idiot commentators out there are guys who have played, so that means nothing. Doing it and doing it well are two different things.

gr8slayer
03-17-2008, 10:19 PM
Some of the biggest idiot commentators out there are guys who have played, so that means nothing. Doing it and doing it well are two different things.
I get paid well to do it so I'm obviously doing something right :up:

Philagape
03-17-2008, 10:22 PM
so did Theismann

Oaf
03-17-2008, 11:02 PM
:movie: This is a good ass thread.

I for one believe that, even with the better production, Hackett's addition would have only been a marginal addition at best over Reed and Parrish and would have convoluted our depth chart by adding another not-quite-starter to the mix. I think Reed and Parrish are IDEAL #3 and #4 guys and bring what we need to compete to the table. However, we have a hell of a black hole at #2 and we need to fill it with a potential star.

A 3rd tier FA in an awful pool is not going to fill it like we need it to be, much less for a sustained period, so why sign him? Hackett may be able to jump, but from what i've seen, he's a lanky guy who doesn't have the body to go over the middle and does not know how to use it well either, which is precisely what we need.

To fill this hole, I'm convinced we need a 1st or 2nd rounder, AND a 5th round project.

Tatonka
03-17-2008, 11:25 PM
Gr8 = Ice??

Philagape
03-17-2008, 11:30 PM
Gr8 = Ice??

No, I meant they both think they know it all by claiming to be professionals

Tatonka
03-17-2008, 11:39 PM
ah.. yeah.. i can see the resemblence.

gr8slayer
03-18-2008, 12:18 AM
No, I meant they both think they know it all by claiming to be professionals
Oh how your ignorance continues to blossom. While we're on the subject of comparing posters to each other you and The Answer aren't related by chance are you? Your knowledge when it comes to the game of football is strikingly similar, almost obsolete.

You and your lady friend should really stop talking and start watching. You make yourselves sound like morons every time you say anything due to your lack education regarding the game of football.

Tatonka
03-18-2008, 12:25 AM
:roflmao:

Ickybaluky
03-18-2008, 07:44 AM
While Hackett may not be Jerry Rice, he is a productive player and starter-worthy, IMO. People forget, but going into last season the Seahawk's plan was to have Hackett start. When Darrell Jackson was traded, it was Hackett that earned the starting job (not Nate Burleson or Bobby Engram). Hackett and Branch were to start on the outside, while Engram was the 3rd WR (operating out of the slot). However, Hackett and Branch only were healthy together for one game. Engram had a huge year.

The reason Hackett didn't draw more interest is he has to prove he can stay healthy. He worked his way into a starting job in Seattle, but his problems staying healthy have dogged him. You can't deny the guy's productiion when healthy, which was only underscored when he had a big game against the Redskins in the playoffs (6-101-1, a game he where started outside, BTW, as Seattle opened in their 3 WR set). However, staying healthy is an important asset in a WR, and that is the question Hackett has to answer.

don137
03-18-2008, 08:17 AM
According to the Charlotte Observer he chose Carolina because they promised him that he will start and be the number 2 WR next to Steve Smith. They also stated how he had only one drop last year.
This has low risk high reward for the Panthers based on the talent of Hackett and the amount of the contract.