PDA

View Full Version : NFL is $9 Billion in debt........

Mitchy moo
03-17-2008, 09:50 PM
According to Daniel Kaplan of SportsBusiness Journal, the league had more than $9 billion in debt as of October 2007.

That’s an average of more than $281,000,000 per team.

The disclosure came in a letter from NFL outside counsel Gregg Levy in support of a decision by the league to reduce the per-team annual debt ceiling. The union has filed collusion charges regarding the move, alleging that the league essentially has limited the amount of money that will be available to pay bonuses and other lump sums to players. The Levy letter has been made public because it has been filed in connection with the collusion charges.

http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?showtopic=63544<!--QuoteEnd-->

Mitchy moo
03-17-2008, 09:52 PM
If RW know this it might explain why he wants to sell the team to the highest bidder, this type of debt load can BK the league and leave his family with nothing. He does have a way of looking ahead.

SyraBillsLican
03-18-2008, 02:07 AM
levy is at it again!

venis2k1
03-18-2008, 02:09 AM
videotape shredders are expensive.

Jan Reimers
03-18-2008, 07:17 AM
We have no details as to what the debt entails or how it breaks down per team. It is therefore ridiculous to speculate as to how this issue might affect the Bills now, or in the future.

mybills
03-18-2008, 07:30 AM
videotape shredders are expensive.
:rofl:

Mitchy moo
03-18-2008, 07:46 AM
We have no details as to what the debt entails or how it breaks down per team. It is therefore ridiculous to speculate as to how this issue might affect the Bills now, or in the future.

Bear stearns was worth $9 billion last week and $246 M this week, that's insane.

colin
03-18-2008, 08:06 AM
that's not exactly a lot of debt for a biz of that size.

the value of all the franchises, the stadiums, the other properties and streams of revenue is what, 30+ yards?

add to that they have guaranteed revenue coming in from the tv, merchandise, and how much they make at the gate and you've got a league that prolly still has people lining up to buy in and lend money.

DMBcrew36
03-18-2008, 08:10 AM
Guys like Snyder and Jerry Jones probably embezzling funds

TheGhostofJimKelly
03-18-2008, 08:26 AM
I would think that the influx of new stadiums over the past 10 years has a lot to do with it.

JJamezz
03-18-2008, 09:08 AM
So how long before I'm paying $50 a week for Sunday Ticket...

Jan Reimers
03-18-2008, 09:34 AM
I would think that the influx of new stadiums over the past 10 years has a lot to do with it.
That must be a big part of it. Since Erie County built and renovated the Ralph, and is responsible for maintenance, repair and capital improvements, I can't see the Bills having much debt at all. Plus there has never been an ownership change or franchise move in Buffalo - unlike in many cities - that would create debt in financing the purchase of an existing or new franchise.

Michael82
03-18-2008, 09:37 AM
So how long before I'm paying $50 a week for Sunday Ticket...
I'm surprised that you aren't already.

Meathead
03-18-2008, 09:41 AM
a. its an interesting piece of potential information so thanks for posting it

3. it sounds high but the information is meaningless without knowing what their assets are. debt is part of running a business and you have to know the whole picture to determine if its a problem or not

m. id like to see some corroboration before believing the number is accurate

-7. dont post a link to a message board posting that has a link you dingleberry. post the direct link itself http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/03/17/league-owes-9-billion/