PDA

View Full Version : Buffalo draft options

TigerJ
04-12-2003, 12:16 PM
I think other's have done this to, but I just want to go through position by position and give my assessment of the likelyhood a player might be drafted at that position and in what part of the draft.

QB-While AVP is getting near the twilight of his career, DB is no youngster and Travis Brown is still unproven, I think this is still a low priority for the Bills. If someone they really like drops to the late rounds they might pull the trigger, but I think it more likely they'll just sign and undrafted guy with some tools.

RB-Buffalo is still talking with the agent for Orlandis Gary. If he signs, Buffalo won't draft a RB. If he doesn't, Buffalo may spend a mid to low round pick on one.

FB-Buffalo likes Crosby but signed Gash for his experience and leadership. Buffalo won't draft a FB unless they think they spot a late round steal.

WR-Buffalo signed Shaw, re-signed Charles Johnson, and picked up CFL speedster Antonio Brown. None of these guys gives Buffalo a #3 guy as gifted and reliable as Josh Reed was last year. Buffalo will probably be looking for someone with some speed who can compete for that role with a mid to upper round pick, though I don't see them spending their first rounder.

TE-Buffalo has Moore who is reliable in all phases of his game, but not great at anything. He's also getting up in years. They have Campbell who has good hands and is a solid blocker, but a good saftey can probably keep up with him at a fast walk. Brady McConnell is athletic and big but unproven. Gilbride is notorious for not using his TEs as anything but a blocker or safety valve receiver. Still, if Buffalo spots an athletic TE with some speed and good hands, I could see them picking one as high as round two. Dallas Clark?

OT-After a nearly flawless year at RT, Jennings received an education last season when he switched to the left side. He's still not nearly as bad as some make him out to be. He was still only a second year player last year. He is strong and athletic, and I can only see him getting better. Mike Williams was a great run blocker last year. He's adequate as a pass blocker, and with his combination of size quickness and strength, I think he'll continue to get better. Gotta love his personality too. Marcus Price was rock solid in reserve. Some people like to pick on Houghton, but he was better than his youth and undrafted status might indicate. I don't think Buffalo is likely to draft a pure OT.

Guard-Ruben Brown is not getting any younger, but I think he probably has at least a couple good years left. Sullivan is knocked by some, but made huge strides last year compared with his rookie season. He's still young too. I think the Bills think he's a keeper. Pucillo is very much unproven. As a seventh rounder he wasn't ready to do anything last year. Because the Bills can't know how much upside he has at this point, I can see the Bills drafting a guard in the middle rounds or upper to upgrade the quality and dependability of their depth at guard, maybe someone whocould handle either guard or center.

Center-I think the Bills have decided to cut bait with Conaty, who was a warrior with a bum shoulder last year, but is limited athletically. Teague was adequate as a starter once he made the adjustment, and may improve this year. Buffalo is likely to look for solid depth here in the mid to upper rounds, again, quite possibly a guy who could handle guard or center.

DT-Buffalo has their starters. Edwards and Bannan are OK as backups, but nothing special, and Adams and Williams are both on the far side of their thirtieth birthday. Buffalo will probably look to upgrade their depth with an eye toward finding a future starter. The certified blue chippers(Kennedy, Robertson, Kevin Williams) will be gone. A second tier guy (William Joseph, Sullivan) might possibly drop to #23 and would tempt Buffalo if he did. The other guys (Peterson, Long, Warren) look right now like they might be a bit of a reach at #23. Buffalo could be tempted to trade down and try to pick up one of them at the tail end of round one or the top quarter of round two. Otherwise, they'll try to pick up a guy like James Lee or Rashad Moore in the mid rounds. I think guys like Colin Cole and Eric Manning don't have enough upside to be worth their while. They would simply be pluggers like the Bills already have in Edwards and Bannan.

DE-Schobel will continue so show improvement, though I doubt he has as much upside as Marcus Wiley had when he was a Bill. Marcus Jones will be a great addition if he can find his form from a few years ago. McKenzie is this year's Chidi Ahanotu, a role player who doesn't give you a long term solution. Beyond Schobel, there is nothing close to a sure thing. Buffalo cannot gamble on Denney developing, or Irons or anyone else on the roster. The problem is McDougle may not drop to #23, and according to at least one pro scout, neither Haynes nor Peterson (who plays DE or DT) is a great value at #23. I don't think Kelsay is either. I think it most likely Buffalo will draft someone in the middle rounds with some upside. Osi Umenyiora is an intriguing sleeper with good size and speed, and excellent production at a lower level of competition. Antonio Garay is a first round talent who will be available in the mid rounds because of an injury history.

OLB-If Buffalo finds a great value in the draft, they may pick an OLB to upgrade depth, but it's not a priority.

MLB-With Fletcher starting and Spoon returning to health, i don't see Buffalo drafting a MLB.

CB-See OLB.

FS-Reese is a bandaid type player. He will start over Prioleau if no one else is found, but Buffalo will be looking for a long term solution. Rashean Mathis will tempt Buffalo in round one, but it's more likely they'll get someone later. Nnamdi Asomugha is a strong possibility in round 3. Ingtar gets credit for giving me that idea.

SS-I think the Bills really like Wire here. He had a rough transition from his college position (LB) early last year, but cut down on mistakes late in the year. He's smart, athletic, has a great attitude and he is a natural playmaker. I think Prioleau backs up Wire this year.

PK and P are set.

By round in the draft here's my best bet on what will happen.

Round one: Buffalo trades down to the end of the round or early round 2. With the pick they receive, they will pick from among Michael Haynes (DE), Kenny Peterson (DT/DE), Rein Long (DT), Ty Warren (DT), Chris Kelsay (DE).

Round 2: Dallas Clark (TE) or (if available) Bryant Johnson (WR).

Round 3: Nnamdi Asomugha (FS), Al Johnson (C) or Osi Umenyiora (DE).

Round 4: Kevin Curtis (WR), Makeo Freitas (a tackle who could move inside), or Shurron Pierson (DE/LB-a value pick who upgrades depth though it's not a particular need)

Round 5: James Lee (DT), Rashad Moore (DT), Scott Tercero (OG), Aaron Hunt (DE), Billy McMillen (WR), Bruce Nelson (C)

Round 6: B. J. Tucker (CB-a value pick), Sultan McCullough (RB)
Jamaal Green (DE)

Round 7: Jason Gesser (QB), Mike Seidman (TE) or anyone who catches TD's eye. We all know it's a crap shoot by the time you get to round seven.

Lone Stranger
04-12-2003, 12:59 PM
Nice job.

Schobel94
04-12-2003, 01:10 PM
Clark wont be there in rd 2, I wouldn't be opposed to taking him in rd 1 if McDougle, Kelsay, and Haynes are gone.

Dozerdog
04-12-2003, 01:11 PM
I see one of two things happening- a run on QB's pushing some DE's and DT down to our 23rd spot, or a run on DT's and DE's pushing a WR/DB to us.

I'd like to see Dewayne White of Louisville if the former happens, or Kelly Washington (oh no- another Tennessee WR) if the latter happends.

MelK
04-12-2003, 05:52 PM
Excellent work!

TigerJ
04-12-2003, 08:13 PM
I do want to make clear that while I tried to do as much of my own thinking as possible, there are reflections of Ingtar's draft guide in my post. I thought his mention of Dallas Clark was a great suggestion. I respect his valuation of some of the late first/early second round possibilities that I mentioned, which plays into my trade down thought. I liked his suggestion of Nnamdi Asomugha. I've been intrugued by Lee since the combine. Ingtar confirmed what I thought, that he would be a good sleeper pick. I've also been following various sources on Shurron Pierson for nearly two months and felt encouraged by Ingtar's endorsement.

td_is_it
04-13-2003, 05:44 PM
tigerj: houghton was a green bay 6th round choice last year but didn't survive the final cut. he took a $50,000 bonus with him.
donahoe must have seen something he liked. the packers were rumored to see houghton as not quick enough at guard and too small for tackle.
i think the bills' braintrust patiently lets the d-line thin out as other teams plunder away and then select the best player available at #23. bound to be some great player leftovers..
selects

Dozerdog
04-13-2003, 05:49 PM
Welcome to the board TD!

Theres seems to be a couple of prevailing theories-

Run on the DL- which gives Buffalo a shot at either a DB or offense (WR/TE)

Run on QB's- which means we get a very good DL

Either way- it's gravy for Buffalo- we get something for nothing in the price deal

Cntrygal
04-13-2003, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by td_is_it
tigerj: houghton was a green bay 6th round choice last year but didn't survive the final cut. he took a $50,000 bonus with him.
donahoe must have seen something he liked. the packers were rumored to see houghton as not quick enough at guard and too small for tackle.
i think the bills' braintrust patiently lets the d-line thin out as other teams plunder away and then select the best player available at #23. bound to be some great player leftovers..
selects

Welcome to the Zone!!! :)

td_is_it
04-13-2003, 06:55 PM
hi dozerdog. i have read your articles for years. i haven't heard of the possible run on quarterbacks. i wonder if boss bailey drops to their spot what would happen?? they are fairly set at lb but it is possible. i like the safety from USC, troy polamalu. we could use help at safety. this guy is a playmaker but a tad short which scares some away.. he is a player and would look good filling out a bills jersey!
thanks for the welcome!

Dozerdog
04-13-2003, 07:05 PM
LOL- I think you have me confused with Mike Doser of Shout.....I haven't been writing for years... I dabble now and then but that's about it.

It's one of a couple of ideasfloating around the boards , with Palmer, Leftwich, Boller, GrossmanRagone, and Sims (hope I did not leave anyone out) Going to teams like the Bengals, Bears, Panthers, Steelers, Packers, Ravens, Cardinals & Cowboys

Many will wait possibly for the second round, but if a team really likes a guy and wants to rade up, I can also see a run on QB's.

Ingtar33
04-13-2003, 09:15 PM
Good job Dozer... I like the work you did on this. I'm impressed you had both Lee and Pierson on your watch list, they are not exactly household names. I found myself nodding in agreement as I read your piece, and thought you were right on with a lot of the work you did. Don't give me too much credit, as anyone what even noticed Pierson has obviously done a lot of thinking. And, as you'll see on draft day, the chances the Bills even draft one of the guys I highlighted will be thin, as there are hundreds of players and 32 teams evaluating them, it is possible those guys don't meat the scrutiny of the Bills scouting department... or get nabbed early by another team.

TigerJ
04-13-2003, 11:16 PM
Thanks, TD. I admit I didn't do too much homework on Houghton's background. I knew he'd been cut by GB and not much else.

Bruce is Loose
04-13-2003, 11:24 PM
so apparantly there are a lot of people that arent getting any younger... who DOESNT fall in this category

just kidding... nice job.

Earthquake Enyart
04-14-2003, 07:34 AM
OK Tiger,

I think Shaw is a solid #3 WR and I don't see us drafting one in the first 3-4 rounds.

I think we are set at TE and would be astonished if we took one at all.

Reese will not start ahead of Prioleau.

Unless a stud G/C falls to us, I still see us taking Mathis.

I think there may be a surprise LB taken before round 3, for no other reason but special teams.

And I think we'll take at least one DT and at least one DE later.

BTW, the QB run in round 1 was my idea...... :eek:

TigerJ
04-14-2003, 09:11 PM
EE, I wholeheartedly agree, Buffalo will take a DT and a DE in this draft. As far as the many areas we disagree, I'm not surprised. I don't think I remember seeing a draft in which so-called experts were so split on who the Bills would take. With their first round pick, I've seen Buffalo take three different pure defensive ends (Haynes, Kelsay, McDougal), different DT's (Williams, Joseph, Long, and Warren), and of course the one "tweener," Peterson.
I've seen several drafts that project tight end Jason Witten to go to the Bills. Wide receivers including Kelley Washington, Taylor Jacobs, Bryant Washington have all been projected as the Bills' first rounder. CB, Dennis Weathersby and CB/safety Rashean Mathis have been named Bills. Linemen Jeff Faine, Eric Steinbach and Kwame Harris have all ended up as Bills in various first round mocks. One guy thought the Bills would take Larry Johnson. I think I've seen Boss Bailey at #23. If this draft were a no brainer there wouldn't be such variety. As it is, various prognosticators have had Buffalo taking players at virtually every position except fullback, punter and place kicker. So, until April 26 your take is as good as mine and vice versa. We'll see. LOL

TigerJ
04-15-2003, 08:24 PM
Typical Bill called attention to a couple errors in my original post. I'm too late to edit the original. I just learned you only have 1440 minutes after you post that you can edit. I could ask special permission, but it's just as easy to do it this way.

First, in my discussion of DEs there was a simple typo. "So" should have been "to." It should have read, "Schobel will continue to show improvement. . ."

Second, in the same discussion, as everyone knows, the Bills' backup DE is Grant Irons. Jeremy Irons is an actor.

Third, TB pointed out that the St. Louis Rams have stated they would draft Kevin Curtis in round 2 if he's available. Therefore, he would not be available to the Bills in the fourth round.

Although I did not do this as an article, I should have been more careful to avoid the typos. Thanks, TB.