PDA

View Full Version : If a rookie had to step in as #2 WR...

NorthCarBills
03-18-2008, 10:13 AM
Other than common names tossed around (Kelly, Sweed, etc), I am the first to admit that I'm not in the know about these guys other than being top WR candidates in the draft.

My question to everyone. If a rookie WR ends up having to step into a #2 role within our offense, would you prefer the WR with greater physical skills and future potential, or one with the greater smarts to quickly learn and run through Turk's offense and "off the bat" ability (but with less potential)?

That being said, are the top rookie WRs about equal in those departments, or are there big gaps one way or the other? Thanks!!

clumping platelets
03-18-2008, 10:30 AM
We need the Dwayne Bowe of the 2008 draft :up:

yordad
03-18-2008, 10:59 AM
I am looking at college red zone production.

Philagape
03-18-2008, 11:26 AM
Since it's a deep position and we'll have our pick of the litter, we're sure to get someone with the physical tools. So that being equal, we gotta get the guy who can learn the quickest, who works the hardest, so he can contribute right away and make an impact as soon as possible. From what I've read, Sweed has the edge in this regard.

Mitchy moo
03-18-2008, 11:47 AM
Other than common names tossed around (Kelly, Sweed, etc), I am the first to admit that I'm not in the know about these guys other than being top WR candidates in the draft.

My question to everyone. If a rookie WR ends up having to step into a #2 role within our offense, would you prefer the WR with greater physical skills and future potential, or one with the greater smarts to quickly learn and run through Turk's offense and "off the bat" ability (but with less potential)?

That being said, are the top rookie WRs about equal in those departments, or are there big gaps one way or the other? Thanks!!

We need one of each, then we can shift positions when the come around longer one gets better.

ParanoidAndroid
03-18-2008, 12:42 PM
I am looking at college red zone production.

Hardy?

bflojohn
03-18-2008, 04:43 PM
A great route runner! That will help get a rookie on the field the fastest, IMO. Size, speed, and hands are obvious prerequisites that ALL recievers need to be successful. Ironically, the pick I think will be a solid starter in year one is Jordy Nelson....just a hunch!!

LifetimeBillsFan
03-18-2008, 09:29 PM
If a rookie is going to start ASAP, he's got to come in with two qualities IMHO: good footwork and great hands.

Good footwork is the key to good route-running, getting off of press coverage, and getting being in position to catch the ball, even when the WR doesn't get great separation (which is hard to get in the red zone). It is also the thing that rookie WRs, especially the bigger ones, tend to struggle with the most. So, a rookie WR who comes in with pretty good footwork is going to have an advantage in that it will take him less time to learn how to do what a NFL receivers coach is going to insist that he learn before he gets any playing time.

Not all of the bigger receivers in this draft have shown that they have great hands--for example, A.Bowman was a top prospect until he showed questionable hands at the Senior Bowl and his stock has been dropping like a rock after he posted poor 40 times at The Combine and his pro day--and that's a quality that will have to be a key for the Bills. The Bills can't wait for the WR that they draft to work on his hands--if they are bringing in a rookie with the expectation that he will be able to step into the starting lineup this season, they need to know that they are getting a guy who is going to catch the ball and not drop it when it is thrown his way.

The Bills were able to give Eric Moulds time to work on his hands when they drafted him; they couldn't afford to give Josh Reed that same amount of time and it hurt them when he had trouble with drops. Both Moulds and Reed eventually improved in this area, but it took them about three years to show reliable hands. The Bills can't wait that long for the WR that they draft this year to do that. They need a guy who will come in with good hands right off the bat.

I like Limas Sweed, but I am very concerned about him because of his wrist injury and the effect that that injury could have on his ability to catch the ball. I would want the Bills' MDs to be really sure that Sweed's wrist injury will be fully healed and won't have a negative impact on his hands in the future before drafting him.

I also like Malcolm Kelly. But, I am concerned about the recent news about his knees--the quad injury is one that he can recover from with time, but knee injuries are a different matter, especially if there is an arthritic condition already developing. Kelly has shown excellent hands, but, as with Sweed, I wouldn't want to see the Bills draft Kelly unless their MDs are sure that his knees will hold up and the quad will be fully healed so that he can play this season.

I'm not sure about Devin Thomas. The guy is a great athlete with lots of potential, but he is basically a one-year wonder. And, that concerns me. I'm not at all sure how good his footwork or his hands are.

I have real concerns about Kevin Hardy. Physically, the guy is a beast. I've seen him be utterly dominant. And, I've seen him get totally shutdown. IMHO, he is still really raw and needs time to learn. I think his hands are OK, but he will have to work on them at the NFL level. And, I'm not sure about how good his footwork is. In three years he could be the best WR in this class, but I have real doubts about how ready he is to make an impact in the NFL right now. And, as a result, I'm not sure that he would be the WR that I would want the Bills to take in this draft if they are really looking for someone who can step in as their # 2 WR this season.

But, of course, that's just my opinion.

The Jokeman
03-18-2008, 10:41 PM
We need the Dwayne Bowe of the 2008 draft :up:
I think Bowe's stats were more attributed to his lack of competition at the position on his own team then anything. I mean once Kennison went down the Chiefs had almost no one to throw the ball to. If we do take a WR either in Round 1 or 2 I anticipate more Sydney Rice type production then Bowe production. Which isn't bad for a rookie but not the legit #2 starter we need opposite Lee Evans that a veteran might could offer IMHO.

Back to the original question. I think a WR with size and the ability to catch is important. If not for his injuries think Limas Sweed be a solid pick but only if were drafting a few spots lower as don't think he's worth the #11 pick in the draft.

jamze132
03-19-2008, 04:17 AM
I'll take Malcom Kelly, please.

Night Train
03-19-2008, 04:30 AM
I'm looking at good hands WR's who won't freak when a CB jams them at the LOS for the 1st time in their life. Plus guys who aren't injury concerns, like Kelly or Sweed.

If the Bills think Thomas of Michigan St, Caldwell of Florida, Nelson of Kansas St, Bennett of Vandy, Hardy of Indiana or any of a dozen others that are rated fairly high are the answer, then I'm happy.

They scout the heck out of these guys and know FAR more than us internet cheerleaders.

Confused
03-19-2008, 06:17 AM
If a rookie is going to start ASAP, he's got to come in with two qualities IMHO: good footwork and great hands.

Good footwork is the key to good route-running, getting off of press coverage, and getting being in position to catch the ball, even when the WR doesn't get great separation (which is hard to get in the red zone). It is also the thing that rookie WRs, especially the bigger ones, tend to struggle with the most. So, a rookie WR who comes in with pretty good footwork is going to have an advantage in that it will take him less time to learn how to do what a NFL receivers coach is going to insist that he learn before he gets any playing time.

Not all of the bigger receivers in this draft have shown that they have great hands--for example, A.Bowman was a top prospect until he showed questionable hands at the Senior Bowl and his stock has been dropping like a rock after he posted poor 40 times at The Combine and his pro day--and that's a quality that will have to be a key for the Bills. The Bills can't wait for the WR that they draft to work on his hands--if they are bringing in a rookie with the expectation that he will be able to step into the starting lineup this season, they need to know that they are getting a guy who is going to catch the ball and not drop it when it is thrown his way.

The Bills were able to give Eric Moulds time to work on his hands when they drafted him; they couldn't afford to give Josh Reed that same amount of time and it hurt them when he had trouble with drops. Both Moulds and Reed eventually improved in this area, but it took them about three years to show reliable hands. The Bills can't wait that long for the WR that they draft this year to do that. They need a guy who will come in with good hands right off the bat.

I like Limas Sweed, but I am very concerned about him because of his wrist injury and the effect that that injury could have on his ability to catch the ball. I would want the Bills' MDs to be really sure that Sweed's wrist injury will be fully healed and won't have a negative impact on his hands in the future before drafting him.

I also like Malcolm Kelly. But, I am concerned about the recent news about his knees--the quad injury is one that he can recover from with time, but knee injuries are a different matter, especially if there is an arthritic condition already developing. Kelly has shown excellent hands, but, as with Sweed, I wouldn't want to see the Bills draft Kelly unless their MDs are sure that his knees will hold up and the quad will be fully healed so that he can play this season.

I'm not sure about Devin Thomas. The guy is a great athlete with lots of potential, but he is basically a one-year wonder. And, that concerns me. I'm not at all sure how good his footwork or his hands are.

I have real concerns about Kevin Hardy. Physically, the guy is a beast. I've seen him be utterly dominant. And, I've seen him get totally shutdown. IMHO, he is still really raw and needs time to learn. I think his hands are OK, but he will have to work on them at the NFL level. And, I'm not sure about how good his footwork is. In three years he could be the best WR in this class, but I have real doubts about how ready he is to make an impact in the NFL right now. And, as a result, I'm not sure that he would be the WR that I would want the Bills to take in this draft if they are really looking for someone who can step in as their # 2 WR this season.

But, of course, that's just my opinion.

Kevin Hardy was my English teacher in h.s. lol

Confused
03-19-2008, 06:21 AM
Hardy's redzone numbers....Hell hardy's numbers period are off the chart. He's not an injury concern like Kelly or Sweed and he's not a product of Drew Rosenhaus' propaganda campagn like D.Thomas is. He's got huge upside and AWESOME hands. Yes he's a bit raw, but we arent asking him to step in as our no1 WR as most teams do when they draft a WR in the 1st round.

Hardy is our best choice.

colin
03-19-2008, 09:06 AM
in the past 2 seasons a number of 1st and 2nd round wrs have come in and been solid guys on good teams (gonzalas in indy and smith in ny for example).

imo a guy with good balance, quicks, and who plays aggresively and has a professional approach to the game will the fastest contributer.

i think sweed and kelly when healthy* are the best guys out there, but the kid from cal might also be up there.

not certain who, but i think at least one guy in the 1st this year at WR is gonna be good to start and end up being a stud.

tampabay25690
03-19-2008, 05:57 PM
BUBBA CALDWELL out of FLORIDA.....Little bigger then EVANS put up solid numbers at Florida and ran a 4.3 or 4.4 I think he will probably be a late 2nd rounder..

X-Era
03-19-2008, 06:01 PM

I think you want to take the guy with greater potential, especially with Lees contract coming up soon.

PECKERWOOD
03-19-2008, 06:31 PM
We need (1) WR to come in and start day 1 on offense.
We need (1) WR to come in and start day 1 on ST's.

Both are easily attainable.

yordad
03-19-2008, 06:34 PM
Hardy?Sure. He is up there. I give him the nod over Thomas based on red zone production.