PDA

View Full Version : MBBedards' Zone Debate # 1: Making the BillsZone Forum Better

shelby
03-18-2008, 10:21 AM
BillsZone is, at heart, a message board dedicated to the Buffalo Bills. At times our main football forum, the BillsZone, is plagued by arguments, TOS violations, and spam. The Zone Staff would like to see the BillsZone forum evolve into the best place on the net to discuss Buffalo Bills Football.....a message board where people discuss our beloved Bills without bickering, flaming, personally attacking each other, and spamming.

The debate question posed to the Zone Presidential Candidates is this:

How would you encourage a spirit of respectful debate amongst BillsZone posters?
What steps would you take to encourage more traffic in the BillsZone forum, especially during the offseason?
What steps would you take if posters were resorting to flaming or personal attacks in their posts?
Briefly describe what you believe is the appropriate way to moderate the BillsZone forum. For example, do you believe that moderators should play an active role in discussions and actively "police" the forum, or should they take a more hands-off approach and only take action if a post is reported?You may confer with your staff before replying to these questions. Please be as specific as possible in your responses.

Once you have responded to the debate question, your opponents will each have the opportunity to post a rebuttal in this thread. You may then respond to each rebuttal in turn. Please note that only one rebuttal by your opponents, and only one response per rebuttal by you, will be allowed.

The debate will be closed at 7 pm on Wednesday, March 19.

Thank you for your participation, and may the best Zoner win!
shelby
Supervisior of Zone Elections

The King
03-18-2008, 08:13 PM
Debates on a message board are pretty much the fuel behind them. Lets face it people dont come to places like the Billszone unless they are passionate. Passionate about their team and about their opinions. There's no doubt that things here have got a little crazy at times, but passion and frustration can be toxic.... in all walks of life. I propose to actually moderate the Billszone. Its a simple concept and is utilized sometimes but not consistantly enough. Im not talking about slapping posters on the wrist or whacking them with warning points, Im talking moderate.

to lessen the intensity or extremeness of
Hit both sides with something positive and get them back on track. If they're unable to focus on the topic at hand and digress, we obviously have to take a different approach. Which is a perfect transition.

So you called me a ******? Well this is pickle. Do you have 15posts or 10,000? Have you been in this situation before? All of these things come into play and while a simple formula would be awesome its just not realistic.
Here is were a personal touch from your Zone team can come into play. You just called me a douchebag and told me to teabag Trent Edwards. Well poster JohnDoe you just violated a pretty obvious rule in the TOS. It gets reported, and I see it. A PM to JohnDoe goes out.

JohnDoe,

You're on a message board. Lets try to get back on track
and refrain from attacking another poster. Seriously you
dont want to go home and tell your mother you got warning
points on a message board do you?

Thanks

If that does not get JohnDoe back on track...

JohnDoe,

Really Dude? What are you 36? And you're calling another Bills fan
a taint gobbler? You have been issued __ warning points. You have
now used up your MOD courtesy.

MBB

Thats it. If the person cant take himself outside of a message board arguement, he can grab some pine. I feel like reaching out the zoner personally only takes two minutes and would be more productive than just slapping them with "fine". Perhaps they can even vent their frustrations to you, and calm themselves down. I think its important.

I think the last topic is a great one, how do we bring more traffic to the zone? This is an awesome question and I applaud Shelbs. While I focus a lot of time in the Twilight Zone, its important to remember that the Billszone is why were are all here. And the offseason is actually an awesome time of year here. We have so many zoners posting breaking news about FA signings, Prospects and trades. There is no possible way that anyone could find all of this content so fast and in one place. We need to promote this more, it doesn't really matter what team you root for the BillsZone is always jam packed with up to the minute NFL transactions. How often have you gone out of your way and told someone about the Billszone? Its a simple concept and once you check this place out its like heroin. Both myself and BMN came here strickly by word of mouth and 35,000 posts later we just want to make this place even better.

Earthquake Enyart
03-18-2008, 10:53 PM
:z:

:blah:

Nothing new here.

shelby
03-19-2008, 04:18 AM
Thank you Bedard. Your opponents will now have the opportunity to make a rebuttal or ask questions.
i'm assuming EE doesn't want to make a rebuttal.

L.A. Playa
03-19-2008, 10:10 AM
In your examples of PM to quell a potential arguement between two posters, do you think the wording in your examples would actually infuriate the poster more because you have talked down to them like a child ?

Also, do you have any specific plans to make the Zone a better place and if so what are some of your ideas ?

Thank You.

The King
03-19-2008, 10:23 AM
In your examples of PM to quell a potential arguement between two posters, do you think the wording in your examples would actually infuriate the poster more because you have talked down to them like a child ?

Also, do you have any specific plans to make the Zone a better place and if so what are some of your ideas ?

Thank You.

No I actually think it puts things in perspective. Once again that is not a system but I do feel that would work. It would vary depending on the poster and his/her style. I think a lot of us have a great sense of humor and a PM like that would take you out of the arguement long enough to make you realize there might be a better way to handle it.

I try to make this place better everyday, my morning games in the Twilight Zone give some zoners a reason to check things out in the morning. My games on Friday help pass a slow afternoon. I will continue to think outside the box try to keep zoners active and enthusiastic about the zone.

shelby
03-19-2008, 05:35 PM
i am waiting to see if Gunz or EE want to post a rebuttal.
This thread will be closed at 7 pm PST.

Miscellaneous comments should be posted in the "debate peanut gallery" thread.
Thanks.

Gunzlingr
03-20-2008, 08:00 AM
Mike,

Who is the 1 person most responsible for bringing you here from ESPN boards? Could it be, Chernobylwraiths, who not only is the goodwill ambassador of the Gunz/Chern ticket but also the vice presidential candidate?

The King
03-20-2008, 08:11 AM
It absolutely is! Cher is a great guy.