PDA

View Full Version : LA Playa's Zone Debate # 1: Making the BillsZone Forum Better

shelby
03-18-2008, 03:01 PM
LA Playa's Zone Debate # 1: Making the BillsZone Forum Better <!-- Start Post Thank You Hack --><!-- End Post Thank You Hack -->

<HR style="COLOR: #f3f3ff" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->BillsZone is, at heart, a message board dedicated to the Buffalo Bills. At times our main football forum, the BillsZone, is plagued by arguments, TOS violations, and spam. The Zone Staff would like to see the BillsZone forum evolve into the best place on the net to discuss Buffalo Bills Football.....a message board where people discuss our beloved Bills without bickering, flaming, personally attacking each other, and spamming.

The debate question posed to the Zone Presidential Candidates is this:
How would you encourage a spirit of respectful debate amongst BillsZone posters?
What steps would you take to encourage more traffic in the BillsZone forum, especially during the offseason?
What steps would you take if posters were resorting to flaming or personal attacks in their posts?
Briefly describe what you believe is the appropriate way to moderate the BillsZone forum. For example, do you believe that moderators should play an active role in discussions and actively "police" the forum, or should they take a more hands-off approach and only take action if a post is reported?You may confer with your staff before replying to these questions. Please be as specific as possible in your responses.

Once you have responded to the debate question, your opponents will each have the opportunity to post a rebuttal in this thread. You may then respond to each rebuttal in turn. Please note that only one rebuttal by your opponents, and only one response per rebuttal by you, will be allowed.

The debate will be closed at 7 pm on Wednesday, March 19.

Thank you for your participation, and may the best Zoner win!
shelby
Supervisior of Zone Elections

L.A. Playa
03-18-2008, 11:53 PM
How would you encourage a spirit of respectful debate amongst BillsZone posters?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>Thank you for the question Madame Moderator, the best way to encourage a respectful debate is quite simply to lead by example. On an everyday basis as we read over the threads in the Zone we will find many opinions that differ from our own. That is the nature of a public forum, much less one as large as Billszone.

While in many cases I probably wouldn’t respond to some threads that I didn’t feel I could contribute to, in the event I did I would intelligently state my side of the argument and back my opinion up with facts and eloquence. I would not resort to calling some one a poo-poo head or any other derogatory name.

The bottom line is if collectively the staff all took the lead to give practical examples of how to debate in a healthy manner the rest would follow the lead. There will always be a few bad apples, but for the most part spirited football conversation can get heated at times. It’s important to emphasize we are all adults and sometimes it’s necessary to step away for a few minutes.<o:p></o:p>

What steps would you take to encourage more traffic in the BillsZone forum, especially during the offseason?<o:p></o:p>This is an excellent question, I am glad you asked it. While I have a wide-spanning plan of attack to garner more activity and interest at Billszone, some of my ideas are as follows. Firstly I would first change the Music Zone to the Entertainment Zone and there you could find all the information you wanted concerning, Music, TV, Movies, video gaming and all the other arts.

I would look into having a few members post several threads a day with the latest Entertainment and Music new, possibly Blackonyx, who has a love for entertainment, and I believe would love to do something like this.

In the main forum, I would look into asking someone to do a weekly series on Bills history, perhaps of the glory days and a where are they now series on some of the all time favorite Bills. Maybe create weekly contests and prizes for the best forum threads, perhaps weekly prizes for the best mock-draft in the scouting zone.

Also, I’d commission one of the more knowledgeable Zoners to do a Free Agent Primer and also a Weekly series position by position of the state of the Bills and grading the players in those positions. Provide updates on needs and the draft as we sign and cut players.

In the Twilight Zone, I would have someone in charge of posting threads with offbeat and zany stories of interest.

The No-Tos would be the place for more of the games that many like now, because more of the paying customer participate in the games, and quite frankly if I was a new person some of the games could be considered on the racy side and might turn them off.

I also would take advantage of the vbulletin functionality more, sending a welcome PM to all new registered users welcoming them and explaining the dynamics of each forum, where to find things and how the forums work. This would be a form PM, but would warmly welcome new posters as well as giving an explanation of what they may find in various parts of Billszone.

Also, I would come up with some more creative games that would focus on humor still, but also would be more intellectual to attract more users to participate than just the core group of Zoners voting in the barrage of polls posted daily. <o:p></o:p>

What steps would you take if posters were resorting to flaming or personal attacks in their posts?<o:p></o:p>Personal attacks will happen; people get worked up when talking about their favorite team. The first step I would take would be to PM the users involved and talk to them civilly and as adults and tell them to calm down and remember our TOS guidelines. I would edit the post containing the offensive material and perhaps even make a post or two to guide the thread back on track.

If this does not accomplish the required effect of ending the situation, a second sterner PM will go out along with the use of the Billszone progressive warning system, depending on the nature of the thread, closing it and/or banning the offenders from the thread maybe required.

I believe if you approach posters intelligently and with class that they will listen and see your point, you can not come down as the dictator at first and the posters will respect you and calm the attacks. Often with these confrontations it’s simply a heat of the moment exchange and with a little maturity cooler heads often prevail.<o:p></o:p>

Briefly describe what you believe is the appropriate way to moderate the BillsZone forum. For example, do you believe that moderators should play an active role in discussions and actively "police" the forum, or should they take a more hands-off approach and only take action if a post is reported?<o:p></o:p>This is an excellent question. Ideally I would hope most the staff here would be active contributors to everyday “zone life” as it were anyway. So while I wouldn’t call it “policing” I’d like to believe that if they noticed something that broke TOS it would be corrected without relying simply on someone reporting it. And while I don’t feel the answer is to simply wait until things get reported, unfortunately with a forum this size I realize realistically staff won’t catch everything. So to a degree, yes you rely on your forum contributors to lend a hand.

I know my fellow Zoners now feel a level of excitement based on my above answer to the questions posed. I certainly hope it gives them a little more insight into my goals for this election, as well as my overall feelings about Billszone. My goals are simple, to not only further Billszone.com’s status as THE premier <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Buffalo</st1:place></st1:City> Bills fan site, but to help usher in a new era and see that things here at Billszone continue to grow and improve with its fan base.

Adding to the forums and having more posters contribute to features and posting different types of news and developing and participaing in games will make this a refreshing place to visit. It will be an oasis from their everyday life. We together can make this a community that respects and honors each others opinions and differences.

The Zone has such amazing talent, writers, humor, innovators, football experts, political experts, entertainment experts, gaming experts and moving forward a visionary leader.

<o:p></o:p>
In closing, I would like to thank <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Shelby</st1:place></st1:City> for overseeing this first debate. I truly appreciate all the time and effort you have put in. I thank my fellow candidates and wish them the best of luck in their campaigns.<o:p></o:p>

Vote for Experience, Vote for Change!

Playa/NBF 08<o:p></o:p>

shelby
03-19-2008, 04:16 AM
Thank you Playa. Your opponents will now have an opportunity to make a rebuttal or ask questions.

Earthquake Enyart
03-19-2008, 09:39 AM
First of all, never talk to me in red ever again.

I have a problem with this:

Personal attacks will happen; people get worked up when talking about their favorite team. The first step I would take would be to PM the users involved and talk to them civilly and as adults and tell them to calm down and remember our TOS guidelines. I would edit the post containing the offensive material and perhaps even make a post or two to guide the thread back on track.

This is what they do now. It doesn't work for two reasons. First, when you do it privately, others don't see what the problem is half the time, so no one else learns. Second, the editing and deleting is too arbitrary and punitive. Moderation should try to steer the conversation back in a more positive manner. If that doesn't work, my solution of just throwing everything into the Spam Zone lets everyone see what's acceptable and what is not.

L.A. Playa
03-19-2008, 10:14 AM
First of all, never talk to me in red ever again.

I have a problem with this:

Personal attacks will happen; people get worked up when talking about their favorite team. The first step I would take would be to PM the users involved and talk to them civilly and as adults and tell them to calm down and remember our TOS guidelines. I would edit the post containing the offensive material and perhaps even make a post or two to guide the thread back on track.

This is what they do now. It doesn't work for two reasons. First, when you do it privately, others don't see what the problem is half the time, so no one else learns. Second, the editing and deleting is too arbitrary and punitive. Moderation should try to steer the conversation back in a more positive manner. If that doesn't work, my solution of just throwing everything into the Spam Zone lets everyone see what's acceptable and what is not.

thank your for your inquisitive remark. I think that you are misinterpreting my solution. The private message will be sent to the poster that is appearing to come to crossing the line to point out that they need to calm down or step away, also if you read the solution you will see I have proposed to post myself in the thread to try to get it back on track. The last resort would be to edit the thread or any posts, unless of course it totally and blatnatly violates the site TOS, or laws that every Zone citizen has agreed to abide by when signing on.

Once again Thank you for your insightful remarks and good luck in your campaign.

The King
03-19-2008, 01:55 PM
Playa seems like most of your responses were very politically correct. Everything seems to be "polite" and "proper" which isnt a bad thing per say... but dont you think that would lead the zone to be kind of Vanilla?

Sounds to me like the zone you're speaking of is kind of like the Stepford Wives.

L.A. Playa
03-19-2008, 02:26 PM
Playa seems like most of your responses were very politically correct. Everything seems to be "polite" and "proper" which isnt a bad thing per say... but dont you think that would lead the zone to be kind of Vanilla?

Sounds to me like the zone you're speaking of is kind of like the Stepford Wives.

Thus far I have released the most comprehensive plan for change and cited several examples of what I would do to make the Zone a better place for all. My vision for the Zone is to make things easily assessable for everyone. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
My plan to organize forums is not “vanilla” at all, but rather a change to have topics in places where people can choose whether or not they want to participate in that discussion. Just as regular political topics are not posted in the regular TZ because many are not interested, I am sure there would be a lot more posting and interest in my proposed “Entertainment Zone”. <o:p></o:p>
As for the “games” currently played in the TZ, almost all deal with scantily clad women and whether men want to “bang” them or not. Fundamentally there is nothing wrong with this, but remember we have several underage and female zoners that might find this offensive and drive them away from the zone because of them. My proposal to move them to the NO-TOS part of the board is a slight change, the majority of members who participate in these games are donors anyway so why not make the TZ more family and gender friendly? <o:p></o:p>
I believe that a great leader is respectful to his opponents; I have respect for my opponents and have addressed each with the same respect I hope I will get in return throughout this campaign. I have a great sense of humor and this has been proven through the years but, I refuse to berate my opponents when dealing in this campaign. <o:p></o:p>
The Holden Leadership Institute at the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:PlaceType w:st="on">University</st1:PlaceType> of <st1:PlaceName w:st="on">Oregon</st1:PlaceName></st1:place> defines the Characteristics of leadership as follows:<o:p></o:p>
Leadership Characteristics<o:p></o:p>
Proactive Vs. Reactive - The exceptional leader is always thinking three steps ahead.<o:p></o:p>
Working to master his/her own environment with the goal of avoiding problems before<o:p></o:p>
they arise.<o:p></o:p>
Flexible/Adaptable - How do you handle yourself in unexpected or uncomfortable<o:p></o:p>
situations? An effective leader will adapt to new surroundings and situations, doing<o:p></o:p>
his/her best to adjust.<o:p></o:p>
A Good Communicator - As a leader, one must listen...a lot! You must be willing to work<o:p></o:p>
to understand the needs and desires of others. A good leader asks many questions,<o:p></o:p>
considers all options, and leads in the right direction.<o:p></o:p>
Respectful - Treating others with respect will ultimately earn respect.<o:p></o:p>
Quiet Confidence - Be sure of yourself with a humble intentions.<o:p></o:p>
Enthusiastic - Excitement is contagious. When a leader is motivated and excited about<o:p></o:p>
the cause people will be more inclined to follow.<o:p></o:p>
Open-Minded - Work to consider all options when making decisions. A strong leader<o:p></o:p>
will evaluate the input from all interested parties and work for the betterment of the<o:p></o:p>
whole.<o:p></o:p>
Resourceful - utilize the resources available to you. If you don’t know the answer to<o:p></o:p>
something find out by asking questions. A leader must create access to information.<o:p></o:p>
Rewarding - An exceptional leader will recognize the efforts of others and reinforce<o:p></o:p>
those actions. We all enjoy being recognized for our actions!<o:p></o:p>
Well Educated - Knowledge is power. Work to be well educated on community<o:p></o:p>
policies, procedures, organizational norms, etc. Further, your knowledge of issues and<o:p></o:p>
information will only increase your success in leading others.<o:p></o:p>
Open to Change - A leader will take into account all points of view and will be willing to<o:p></o:p>
change a policy, program, cultural tradition that is out-dated, or no longer beneficial to<o:p></o:p>
the group as a whole.<o:p></o:p>
Interested in Feedback - How do people feel about your leadership skill set? How can<o:p></o:p>
you improve? These are important questions that a leader needs to constantly ask the<o:p></o:p>
chapter. View feedback as a gift to improve.<o:p></o:p>
Evaluative - Evaluation of events and programs is essential for an organization/group to<o:p></o:p>
improve and progress. An exceptional leader will constantly evaluate and change<o:p></o:p>
programs and policies that are not working.<o:p></o:p>
Organized - Are you prepared for meetings, presentations, events and confident that<o:p></o:p>
people around you are prepared and organized as well?<o:p></o:p>
Consistent - Confidence and respect cannot be attained without your leadership being<o:p></o:p>
consistent. People must have confidence that their opinions and thoughts will be heard<o:p></o:p>
and taken into consideration.<o:p></o:p>
Delegator - An exceptional leader realizes that he/she cannot accomplish everything on<o:p></o:p>
his own. A leader will know the talents and interests of people around him/her, thus<o:p></o:p>
delegating tasks accordingly.<o:p></o:p>
Initiative - A leader should work to be the motivator. An initiator. He/she must be a key<o:p></o:p>
element in the planning and implementing new ideas, programs, policies, events, etc.<o:p></o:p>
In closing a President who has Vision, a President who isn’t afraid to make change, a President who is willing to see the needs of all Zoners, a President who will make a difference and lead this board to an even greater tommorrow is far from “vanilla” and far from creating a “Stepford Wife Society”, I am an agent of change, and a true proven Leader. Based on my experience and leadership the only choice for President is L.A. Playa.<o:p></o:p>

Gunzlingr
03-19-2008, 03:11 PM
I have a question for you Patrick.
You originally said you were the "more pussy in 08" candidate, but now you are concerned about driving away female and underage zoners with the Bang or Bucks games? Don't you find this a bit perplexing? I am wondering if you could explain how the 'pussy for all' candidate suddenly became the party of moral judgment, and how big a role pussy will play if you are elected .

Thanks, and good luck.

Thank you.

Thank you.

L.A. Playa
03-19-2008, 03:29 PM
I have a question for you Patrick.
You originally said you were the "more pussy in 08" candidate, but now you are concerned about driving away female and underage zoners with the Bang or Bucks games? Don't you find this a bit perplexing? I am wondering if you could explain how the 'pussy for all' candidate suddenly became the party of moral judgment, and how big a role pussy will play if you are elected .

Thanks, and good luck.

Thank you.

Thank you.

A true leader and a man of the people takes everyones perspective into mind. In my statement introducing my team, you can clearly see that I stated in reality I can not provide "more pussy in 08".

To me each individual has their own standard of morality and what is acceptable and what is not. As a visionary I look past what I may think is the moral norm for my life and see what the greater good is for all in the community. Yes the high majority of this board is male and may not see a problem with the aforementioned games, but if we are to represent everyones interest we must have the vision to see how games such as that could be offensive to our female members and possibly negatively effect young impressionable members and their view of women.

I will always fight for my fellow Zoners and do what I can to make life in and out of the Zone more enjoyable. If given another oppurtunity I would try to lead Mikey to water again so he may drink this time, as for any other Zoner taht visits the West Coast I am open to meet with them and if the course of the night includes me leading them to water then so be it. So to answer your final question the biggest role that pussy will have in my term as President will be the amount I get in my personal life while serving.

In closing the ability to see past yourself and your own needs and views and be compassionate and see what others need and see their view is a mark of great leader. I have a Vision for the Zone to make it not only the Best Bills Message board in the world but the best message board period in the world. To achieve this I have raised the bar to meet the needs of all and not just some. When my fellow Zoners go to the polls remember that you need an experienced leader that is a champion of change and that leader is L.A. Playa.

L.A. Playa
03-19-2008, 03:46 PM
I will apologize at this point to MBB and EE for not answering your second posts in this thread since by posting a second comment you clearly went outside of the rules that we all agreed upon for the debates.

If you wish to address these issues in future debates please follow the correct procedures and I will be glad to answer your remarks.

shelby
03-19-2008, 05:31 PM
This thread is now closed, as the debate is over.
Thank you LA Playa.