PDA

View Full Version : Mod's I know this is off topic

X-Era
03-18-2008, 07:30 PM
Maybe this could sit for a bit?

Today the Yankees, did something that goes above and beyond whats expected, whats needed, or even what many would have believed would happen, in the wake of the mass shooting at Virginia Tech.

They donated 1 million, and then went down and played a game against VT.

Its an absolutely unbelievable show of sportsmanship.

Those players and students after having their worlds thrown upside down, now have had a positive experience that will last with them forever.

Im not a baseball fan, I wouldnt even call myself a Yankees fan, but this was one of the most unselfish and nicest moves that I can remember happening EVER by a professional sports team.

Mitchy moo
03-18-2008, 07:34 PM
OT: Twilight Zone for content. Billszone for sportsmanship / class.

im4bflo
03-18-2008, 07:37 PM
GO YANKEE'S!

raphael120
03-18-2008, 07:51 PM
1 million for the Yankees is freakin peanuts, id be impressed if it was more.

X-Era
03-18-2008, 07:58 PM

So having one of the most heralded professional teams in the world, play against a collegiate team in the spirit of reaching out to a college that has suffered a major loss isnt impressive?

Imagin how the pitcher for VT felt throwing against the likes of Jeter and Rodriguez.

BADTHINGSMAN
03-18-2008, 08:02 PM
Was a nice thing for the Yankees to do.. :bf1:

B-DON
03-18-2008, 08:07 PM

What did you donate?

LifetimeBillsFan
03-18-2008, 08:46 PM
Actually, according to what has been reported in the NYC area media (and on YES), the million dollars was contributed by the Yankees right after the shootings took place. At the time that they made the donation, the Yanks asked Va.Tech what else they could do to help and it was Va Tech that said that playing the game against their baseball team would probably be the best thing that they could do to help the school further and the Yankees immediately agreed to do that.

BTW: this is not the first time that the NY Yankees have made a nice sized donation immediately after a tragedy. They also were one of the first large organizations to make a donation--another million dollars as I recall--after Hurricane Katrina. They have also been involved in raising money for another college (I think it may have been LSU) that they used to regularly play at the end of preseason. And, of course, they immediately offered to do whatever the mayor of NYC wanted them to do after 9/11 and made a similar contribution to the victims' family fund.

While it is true that a million dollars is not a lot of money to the NY Yankees, they have what I believe to be a unique record of moving quickly when there is a catastrophe to make a donation and offer whatever assistance they can. There have also been stories that have surfaced long after the event of George Steinbrenner quietly making donations to charities and helping people in need.

And, for this, I think the Yankees should be commended. (Just as I think that Ralph Wilson deserves to be commended for his donations for spinal injury research that only became public when Kevin Everett ended up being a beneficiary of the research that Wilson had funded.)

It makes it a lot easier for me to root for the Yankees (and the Bills) knowing that they are an organization that is willing to step up and take the lead in helping when something terrible happens.

venis2k1
03-18-2008, 09:35 PM
I know this is a bills forum.... but Yankees suck.

Mr. Pink
03-19-2008, 01:29 AM
Tax write off.

PECKERWOOD
03-19-2008, 01:47 AM
Classy move by my boys!

jamze132
03-19-2008, 03:32 AM
Maybe this could sit for a bit?

Today the Yankees, did something that goes above and beyond whats expected, whats needed, or even what many would have believed would happen, in the wake of the mass shooting at Virginia Tech.

They donated 1 million, and then went down and played a game against VT.

Its an absolutely unbelievable show of sportsmanship.

Those players and students after having their worlds thrown upside down, now have had a positive experience that will last with them forever.

Im not a baseball fan, I wouldnt even call myself a Yankees fan, but this was one of the most unselfish and nicest moves that I can remember happening EVER by a professional sports team.
Did Shelly Duncan hard slide into VTs shortstop?

DraftBoy
03-19-2008, 07:52 AM
Not to be a jerk but the Braves play UGA and Georgia Tech both every year in Spring Training. Also the coaches show up each year to the teams early practices to work with the players and coaches on drills, we've been doing this for years. Kudos to the Yankees for the million dollar donation, but some teams have been helping out local colleges for over a decade now, its about times the Yankees decided to chip in.

Dozerdog
03-19-2008, 08:08 AM
1- Nice gesture by the Yankees

2- MLB teams play college teams all the time in spring training, no big whoop there