PDA

View Full Version : DRC Probably Out Of The Question For Bills Now

LifetimeBillsFan
03-18-2008, 08:15 PM
With the Bills signing William James, it is probably very unlikely that the Bills will use the # 11 pick in the draft on D. Rogers-Cromartie or any other CB. James' signing also increases the likelihood that the Bills will use their first two picks in the draft to select a WR and a TE to fill their two biggest remaining needs.

With James, T.McGee and J.Greer, the Bills have three CBs who have played reasonably well as starters in the NFL. Ashton Youboty showed some signs of starting to develop into a NFL-caliber CB late last season, giving the Bills 4 CBs that they can be reasonably confident in putting on the field against 4 WR sets.

The Bills will still need to add at least one and perhaps 2 CBs before training camp, but they can now afford to wait until the 3rd or even 4th round before selecting a CB now, rather than having to perhaps take a chance on losing out on the WR and TE prospects that they feel will be most able to help the team this season because they had to use one of their first two picks on a CB. With James in the fold, they can give a 3rd or 4th round pick time to develop without seriously jeopardizing their ability to defend the pass this season.

As much as I like Rogers-Cromartie's athleticism and was impressed by McKelvin's knack for defensing passes, my big concern with taking a top CB prospect and developing him into a "shutdown" CB is that, when you do that, you are virtually guaranteed to lose that player as so as he becomes eligible for free agency at the prices that such CBs can now command on the open market. One of the reasons for using a Tampa 2 defense is that it does not require a team to have a Top 10 caliber "shutdown" CB in order to be effective. With James joining McGee and Greer and an improved pass rush, the Bills can be more effective on defense this season without having to use their top pick on a CB.

And, that will allow the Bills to use their top two picks in this draft to address their two weakest positions, the two positions that they were not able to adequately address in free agency: WR and TE.

A DE still remains an outside possibility at this point as well, but, given the amount of money that they already have invested in Schobel and Kelsay, it is more likely that the team will try to address their need for a situational pass rusher either in free agency or in the middle rounds of the draft (where they may be able to pick up an under-sized pure pass rusher who they can use on passing downs and try to develop into a 3-down player as he gets bigger and stronger with time and experience).

But, at this point I think it is pretty fair to say that the Bills are unlikely to use their first round pick in the draft on a CB now that they have signed Will James.

FlyingDutchman
03-18-2008, 08:34 PM
Ive been a DRC advocate and im gonna have to agree with ya. I still think we are in a world of trouble at CB, and James is just another Kiawiki Thomas in my eyes, but we are probably gonna go WR now. I just PRAY that we trade down now. Now that Jonathan Stewart got injured, the top tier RBs just got thin. Im hoping someone swaps with us to grab Mendenhall ahead of the Lions. Id really like to slide back to around 20, grab Kelly and an extra 2nd and continue to draft on O.

FlyingDutchman
03-18-2008, 08:36 PM
Also, what about Brandon Flowers CB from VTech? I bet we could grab him in the second.

venis2k1
03-18-2008, 08:41 PM
I would rather have one of the second tier CBs anyways. Terrell Thomas out of USC is a good one.

jamze132
03-19-2008, 04:30 AM
Ive been a DRC advocate and im gonna have to agree with ya. I still think we are in a world of trouble at CB, and James is just another Kiawiki Thomas in my eyes, but we are probably gonna go WR now. I just PRAY that we trade down now. Now that Jonathan Stewart got injured, the top tier RBs just got thin. Im hoping someone swaps with us to grab Mendenhall ahead of the Lions. Id really like to slide back to around 20, grab Kelly and an extra 2nd and continue to draft on O.
Malcom Kelly won't be around at #20. If we want him, and I do, we pick him at #11, granted he is still there.

Confused
03-19-2008, 07:00 AM
I would rather have one of the second tier CBs anyways. Terrell Thomas out of USC is a good one. tracey porter may drop too. worth keeping an eye on.

BlackMetalNinja
03-19-2008, 07:03 AM
This actually makes me happy... I was not a proponent of getting a CB with the first pick at all. I'd much rather go WR then TE in this draft personally. Hopefully James will work out well for us too.

DraftBoy
03-19-2008, 07:49 AM
Also, what about Brandon Flowers CB from VTech? I bet we could grab him in the second.

5'9 and slow, pass

FlyingDutchman
03-19-2008, 08:02 AM
Malcom Kelly won't be around at #20. If we want him, and I do, we pick him at #11, granted he is still there.

I disagree buddy, I think he will, especially with the injury concerns.

Confused
03-19-2008, 08:05 AM
Kelly is gonna drop. He was here yesterday? Any news on his physical?

DraftBoy
03-19-2008, 08:16 AM
Kelly is gonna drop. He was here yesterday? Any news on his physical?

I doubt he took one

Night Train
03-19-2008, 03:23 PM
I'm thinking we're still 1 top CB short and wouldn't be suprised if they still drafted McKelvin or DRC in Round 1.

jamze132
03-20-2008, 03:01 AM
I'm thinking we're still 1 top CB short and wouldn't be suprised if they still drafted McKelvin or DRC in Round 1.
With all of the FA moves devoted to defense, there's no way we don't go offense on day 1 of the draft. And since Day 1 only consists of RD1 and RD2 now, we should be drafting the best WR available and the best TE available when we pick.

kernowboy
03-20-2008, 06:08 AM

Considering how incredibly slow he is ... you almost certainly could

patmoran2006
03-20-2008, 08:38 PM
Considering how incredibly slow he is ... you almost certainly could
is he faster than your God, Ted Lehman?

LOL, in all seriousness, is Ted signed anywhere yet?

don137
03-21-2008, 07:32 AM
I agree, I also think the Bills are in great position to trade down in the draft a few picks. One of the following Kelly, Sweed or Thomas will be available 10 slots lower. Some one good will be available at #11 like DRC or Harvey which could entice them to trade up in the draft.

ddaryl
03-21-2008, 08:26 AM
I agree, I also think the Bills are in great position to trade down in the draft a few picks. One of the following Kelly, Sweed or Thomas will be available 10 slots lower. Some one good will be available at #11 like DRC or Harvey which could entice them to trade up in the draft.

I agree we trade down IF WE CAN, and IF THE DEAL IS RIGHT.... and then with our extra picks in the trade down we can also move back into the late 1st rd and grab a CB.

Under this fantasy scenario we cold potentially grab a 1st rd WR and 1st rd CB.... and hopefully still have a 3rd rd pick to grab a TE...