Jan Reimers
03-19-2008, 07:27 AM
I'd take it in a heartbeat.

madness
03-19-2008, 07:59 AM
I'll second that.

Confused
03-19-2008, 08:02 AM
Pass on Flowers. But with a draft that good, he can be the "bad pick" and I'll take the rest.

DraftBoy
03-19-2008, 08:20 AM
I think Id throw up thats a bad draft; Kelly could have very bad knees, Davis is essentially a slow WR, Flowers is short and slow, Schmitt is a not needed pick, Johnson I like (of course) Richard could be had as a UDFA and so could Shilens while Scott is going to become a 3-4 OLB not a 4-3 DE. Id give this draft day a D at best, it addresses few needs and has a lot of reaches.

madness
03-19-2008, 08:27 AM
If a draft analyst gives it a bad grade, then it'll probably turn out to be a good draft. :snicker:

Mahdi
03-19-2008, 08:48 AM
1) Malcolm Kelly
2) Fred Davis
3) Brandon Flowers
4) Owen Schmitt
5) Josh Johnson
6) Jamey Richard- C, UB
7a) Trevor Scott- DE, UB
7b) Chaz Shilens

Had to land a few UB boys.
I would rather have Keller in the 2nd round... he's more of a game-breaker.

patmoran2006
03-19-2008, 09:23 AM
Why would you think Davis is lasting til when we pick in round two? Keller would be an outside chance.

DraftBoy
03-19-2008, 09:29 AM
Why would you think Davis is lasting til when we pick in round two? Keller would be an outside chance.

Davis is falling like a rock there is no question that he'll be there come our pick in Round 2 imo.

venis2k1
03-19-2008, 09:53 AM
Is the knock on davis that he is too small?

Mahdi
03-19-2008, 09:59 AM
Is the knock on davis that he is too small?
NFL.com says he is 6'4"... he's not small...

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/fred-davis?id=216

bigbub2352
03-19-2008, 10:11 AM
I think too much is put into 40 time at TE, if Davis is a slow receiver isnt that what TE usually are?, especially ones that are in the 6ft 3 range, i dont think Clark,Whitten, Heap, Miller or Crumpler, Watson any of them are running blazing 40 times, they just get open, That is what we need,

I like this draft alot, and i think Schmitt is a great pick we need a real offensive heavy draft here

venis2k1
03-19-2008, 10:12 AM
I was a huge Davis fan this season, im just tryin to understand why his draft stock is falling.

Jeff1220
03-19-2008, 10:13 AM
I have issues with having another Bills named Flowers.

Mahdi
03-19-2008, 10:14 AM
I was a huge Davis fan this season, im just tryin to understand why his draft stock is falling.
His slow 40 is the reason... Keller set a standard.

Still if Keller isnt there in the second round I would take Davis easily.

FlyingDutchman
03-19-2008, 10:39 AM
I love this infatuation with Owen Schmitt. I love the kid too. Its just funny bc Ive never seen so many people excited about wanting to get a FB.

jdbillsfan
03-19-2008, 01:17 PM
I don't really trust WR's, TE's out of SC anymore. Dominque Byrd, Jarrett... suck.

I used be to be down on Sweed and higher on Kelly, but I liked the fact that Sweed ran at the combine, even though he could have used an excuse not too. Kelly seems like he could be damaged goods.

1) Sweed
2) Bennett
3) Marcus Howard
4) Tom Zbikowski
5) Zack Bowman
6) Justin Harper
7) Kirk Barton

mysticsoto
03-19-2008, 02:15 PM
I love this infatuation with Owen Schmitt. I love the kid too. Its just funny bc Ive never seen so many people excited about wanting to get a FB.

Last year, everybody was excited about Brian Leonard. His going over to the Rams didn't catapult them into stardom. Neither will Schmitt here. Neither did Nugent 2 years ago (kickers can be had lower also). There are certain positions that aren't picked highly and there's a reason for that. People have to weigh what's needed along with the impact that player (and position) will likely have on the team. A FB provides little impact on the overall game compared to other positions that we are in desperate need of. At the 4th rd, we could be grabbing another highly skilled prospect WR. Or a top Center...those would be much more important at this point.

DrGraves
03-19-2008, 02:17 PM
ummm i go to UB so trust me when i say you don't want anyone from this junior varsity pathetic excuse for a d-1 team... or anyone in the mac for that matter

mysticsoto
03-19-2008, 02:44 PM
I don't even know what my draft dream would be. Maybe something like:

1. CB - DRC
2. WR - Early Doucet
3. TE - Martellus Bennett
4. C - John Sullivan
5. WR - Marcus Monk
6. DE - Brian Johnston
7a. OLB - Lamar Myles
7b. DT - Tywain Myles

UDFA: OL Matt Roan, FB - Mike Peterson

DraftBoy
03-19-2008, 02:49 PM

1. CB - DRC
2. WR - Early Doucet
4. C - John Sullivan
5. WR - Marcus Monk
6. DE - Brian Johnston
7a. OLB - Lamar Myles
7b. DT - Tywain Myles

:bf1:

Mr. Pink
03-19-2008, 03:04 PM

1. CB - DRC
2. WR - Early Doucet
4. C - John Sullivan
5. WR - Marcus Monk
6. DE - Brian Johnston
7a. OLB - Lamar Myles
7b. DT - Tywain Myles

I'd be willing to draft FB/TE/H-Back in Rd 7...and have him in a couple mocks I've done. I thought I was the only one who knew of the guy. Major props to you for him.

Rds 3-6 are excellent...1 is eh, not a big fan of corner in first round with the Cover 2 scheme. Doucet is a good pick up in Rd2. And I'm not familiar with either Myles but we definitely could use the OLB depth. Swap Tywain Myles for Peterson and you got a very solid draft. IMO

yordad
03-19-2008, 03:09 PM
1) Malcolm Kelly
2) Fred Davis
3) Brandon Flowers
4) Owen Schmitt
5) Josh Johnson
6) Jamey Richard- C, UB
7a) Trevor Scott- DE, UB
7b) Chaz Shilens

Had to land a few UB boys.I would do some things different, but I would take it. Is Flowers going to be there in the third?

mysticsoto
03-19-2008, 03:23 PM
I should probably write out my rationalizations for each...

1. CB - DRC - 6'1.5", 184 lbs, 4.33 40, We will need someone to counter the WRs in our division like Moss, Ginn, etc. DRC will be inexperienced initially, but has the physical attributes to develop into an outstanding back and in a cover 2, also has safety help while he progresses. DRC has the size to deal with a Moss type receiver AND the speed to deal with a Ginn type of receiver (should he ever develop into a threat). Additionally, we've tried to upgrade the defense significantly with DT Stroud and LB Mitchell. Adding what could become a top CB improves every facet of the defense. And while McGee was an okay 1st CB, he will likely be an outstanding #2 CB. And none of this takes into acct Poz returning from injury, nor Ko or George Wilson who were also looking pretty good pre-injury.

2. WR - Early Doucet - 6'0, 209 lbs, 4.5 40, Doucet is a polished receiver who fell b'cse of a slight injury. Seems to thrive in the #2 role and that's what he'll have. Has speed and good RAC results. Probably can jump right in easier than most WRs could...

3. TE - Martellus Bennett - 6'6", 259 lbs, 4.68 40, huge with great athleticism and long, soft hands.

4. C - John Sullivan - 6'3.5, 301 lbs, 5.32 40, Showed alot of potential early. Had a bad year last year, but given time, could flourish and become outstanding. Was a wrestler and understands leverage!

5. WR - Marcus Monk - 6'4", 222 lbs, 4.59 40, Excellent redzone threat with long, soft hands.

6. DE - Brian Johnston - 6'5, 280 lbs, 4.92 40, shows the ability to rush the passer.

7a. OLB - Lamar Myles - 6'1", 220lb, 4.65 40, athletic, physical, fast and a good tackler. A bit small for the position but is also outstanding on STs.

7b. DT - Tywain Myles - 6’2, 310 lbs, 4.8 40 - good character kid that clogs the middle well to prevent the run.

UDFA:

OL Matt Roan - 6'4", 293 lbs, 5.03 40, has played center, tackle, guard, long snapper, tight end, and punter. Has good footwork and the ability to add the weight/strength which he will need in the pros.

FB - Mike Peterson - 6'2, 246 lbs , 4.58 40, excellent athlete with good straight line speed, solid hands, and good quickness off the snap. Will need to work on his blocking technique - but could possibly be another weapon for Trent.

DraftBoy
03-19-2008, 03:26 PM
I'd be willing to draft FB/TE/H-Back in Rd 7...and have him in a couple mocks I've done. I thought I was the only one who knew of the guy. Major props to you for him.

He's ranked as my top DII FB in my draft rankings;

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=145527

X-Era
03-19-2008, 03:37 PM
I think Id throw up thats a bad draft; Kelly could have very bad knees, Davis is essentially a slow WR, Flowers is short and slow, Schmitt is a not needed pick, Johnson I like (of course) Richard could be had as a UDFA and so could Shilens while Scott is going to become a 3-4 OLB not a 4-3 DE. Id give this draft day a D at best, it addresses few needs and has a lot of reaches.

Kelly, Sweed, or Devin Thomas at 11 and Im fine. The rest can stay the same

Davis is 6' 4" 248, thats one hell of a WR. Hes considered by many including Kiper to be the #1 TE

Flowers ran slow at the combine, he will do much better tomorrow or the 27th, hes a ball hawk, probably the best CB against the run, and at 5' 10" 190, hes bigger than Terrence McGee.

Schmitt, a FB, a not needed pick? If we plan to actually use the FB, why not get one who could be a decent safety valve as a receiver, a very good lead blocker, and a short yardage threat. I dont know who our stud FB on the roster is, but we need an upgrade at FB if we plan to use one.

I will take your D, but I think many would grade it better than that.

X-Era
03-19-2008, 03:40 PM
I would rather have Keller in the 2nd round... he's more of a game-breaker.

Keller is my current #2 TE and looks every bit as good, no problem with him in round 2 either.

X-Era
03-19-2008, 03:48 PM
I would do some things different, but I would take it. Is Flowers going to be there in the third?

Some had him as a top 3 CB going into the combine where he ran a 4.58, 4.63

Some players train to run the 40 just for the combine, not sure if Flowers did or not. Theres no questioning the game tape, he can play. Hes a bit fo a wildcard until he runs on his pro-day. Right now I could see anywhere from the 3-5 round.

DraftBoy
03-19-2008, 03:56 PM
Kelly, Sweed, or Devin Thomas at 11 and Im fine. The rest can stay the same

Davis is 6' 4" 248, thats one hell of a WR. Hes considered by many including Kiper to be the #1 TE

Flowers ran slow at the combine, he will do much better tomorrow or the 27th, hes a ball hawk, probably the best CB against the run, and at 5' 10" 190, hes bigger than Terrence McGee.

Schmitt, a FB, a not needed pick? If we plan to actually use the FB, why not get one who could be a decent safety valve as a receiver, a very good lead blocker, and a short yardage threat. I dont know who our stud FB on the roster is, but we need an upgrade at FB if we plan to use one.

I will take your D, but I think many would grade it better than that.

Flowers is 5'9 not 5'10

I dont really care where Kiper has him ranked I think I had him at #2 TE before all the pre-draft workouts, he's fallen since then.

Ive made my opinion on FB and Schmitt very clear.

anybody else can grade it however they feel its not going to change my grade though.

Confused
03-19-2008, 03:56 PM
DAvis is the tight end pick of choice in my mocks.

X-Era
03-19-2008, 05:31 PM
Flowers is 5'9 not 5'10

I dont really care where Kiper has him ranked I think I had him at #2 TE before all the pre-draft workouts, he's fallen since then.

Ive made my opinion on FB and Schmitt very clear.

anybody else can grade it however they feel its not going to change my grade though.

Flowers measurements as per NFL.com is 5' 10".

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/brandon-flowers?id=754

Do you have a more credible link?

Many people, including me care about where Kiper has him ranked, Mayock has him as his #3, Scouts Inc has him as their #1... maybe you know something they dont know?

Im not as concerned with your grade on things as much as I am the combined opinions of many people. I think combining the opinions of many is one of the best ways to predict where players actually rank overall.

Id be very happy if we went Kelly, Sweed, or Thomas as our #2 WR at the 11 pick, and Davis, Keller, or maybe even Kellen Davis at our 2nd round pick if we go TE.

yordad
03-19-2008, 05:45 PM
I think you better hope Flowers doesn't have a good pro day. He will not still be there in the third if he does.

Oh, and if you had Sullivan instead of Johnson I will give you a B+. Someone else said it, DB I think, but we aren't getting the greatest value with all your picks. But, if we don't move, I think your mock is nearly as good as it is going to get, IMO. It would be hard to get an "A" picking a receiver that high, so if we go there first, for a top grade, we would have to trade down.

But, I will point out for you, DB likes drafting for BPA, not exactly greatest needs. I won't mind a little stretching to address a specific position too much.

I guess it is just a matter of opinion. Both approaches seem logical.

I wouldn't cry if mystics draft happened either. In fact, if Hardy or Thomas was still there in the second, it would be awesome. Oh, and if he could just bump everyone starting at 4 down a pick, and squeeze in Schmitt for me, I would give that a 10. And, I will point out, that would be pretty close to the voted on round by round board mock.

X-Era
03-19-2008, 05:57 PM
I think you better hope Flowers doesn't have a good pro day. He will not still be there in the third if he does.

Oh, and if you had Sullivan instead of Johnson I will give you a B+. Someone else said it, DB I think, but we aren't getting the greatest value with all your picks. But, if we don't move, I think your mock is nearly as good as it is going to get, IMO. The only way we get an A is if we trade down in the first, and still get a top WR.

But, I will point out for you, DB likes drafting for BPA, not exactly greatest needs. I won't mind a little stretching to address a specific position too much.

I agree with you. My draft dream actually has a sense of reality in that the players I list are more based on need than BPA. I tried to put a good mix of both by picking the players I liked the most at each position in order of need by round

mysticsoto
03-19-2008, 07:39 PM

Oh, and if you had Sullivan instead of Johnson I will give you a B+. Someone else said it, DB I think, but we aren't getting the greatest value with all your picks. But, if we don't move, I think your mock is nearly as good as it is going to get, IMO. It would be hard to get an "A" picking a receiver that high, so if we go there first, for a top grade, we would have to trade down.

I wouldn't cry if mystics draft happened either. In fact, if Hardy or Thomas was still there in the second, it would be awesome. Oh, and if he could just bump everyone starting at 4 down a pick, and squeeze in Schmitt for me, I would give that a 10. And, I will point out, that would be pretty close to the voted on round by round board mock.

If Hardy has character issues, it's likely that the Bills FO won't even consider him.

TigerJ
03-19-2008, 07:44 PM
There are certainly questions about Kelly now that need to be answered before he can be considered that early.

X-Era
03-19-2008, 08:08 PM
There are certainly questions about Kelly now that need to be answered before he can be considered that early.

Yes, I agree.

But, to go from the guy who most think is the best WR in the draft, to a question mark because he didnt work out yet, and only yet, because of an injury is a bit too much for me.

The guy is gonna hold a workout and will probably do well and regain his status IMO.

As of right now, before his workout, and before the draft, yes we can say we have a question mark.

venis2k1
03-19-2008, 10:07 PM

Your draft rankings need to be updated i think.

You have DRC as the 6th rated CB.

PECKERWOOD
03-20-2008, 02:02 AM
I don't really trust WR's, TE's out of SC anymore. Dominque Byrd, Jarrett... suck.

I used be to be down on Sweed and higher on Kelly, but I liked the fact that Sweed ran at the combine, even though he could have used an excuse not too. Kelly seems like he could be damaged goods.

1) Sweed
2) Bennett
3) Marcus Howard
4) Tom Zbikowski
5) Zack Bowman
6) Justin Harper
7) Kirk Barton

I like the 1st pick, disagree with the rest! :up:

Also, until Kelly holds a workout I'm going to assume he is damaged goods. I will go further, even if Kelly isn't damaged goods, I still feel Sweed is the better prospect. However, if Kelly proved to be healthy and Sweed was gone by #11 I wouldn't mind reaching a bit by taking him at #11, highly unlikely but you never know.

alohabillsfan
03-20-2008, 05:33 AM
Just a side note,
I watched intently the TE coverage at the combine and the difference between Keller and Davis was this, when the pressure to perform was on Keller caught everything and Davis had a couple of drops, now who do you pick? My money is Keller is the better pro. take him in the second!

Bills FO please trade down if possible....
Best value pick at 11 D. Harvey

X-Era
03-20-2008, 06:42 AM
Just a side note,
I watched intently the TE coverage at the combine and the difference between Keller and Davis was this, when the pressure to perform was on Keller caught everything and Davis had a couple of drops, now who do you pick? My money is Keller is the better pro. take him in the second!

Bills FO please trade down if possible....
Best value pick at 11 D. Harvey

Keller is the more athletic of the two IMO. Hes got Dallas Clark type talent. I just think that Davis is the more well rounded TE.

As I said, its nit picking, Im happy with either one and Keller is a very explosive prospect.

Mahdi
03-20-2008, 08:36 AM
Last year, everybody was excited about Brian Leonard. His going over to the Rams didn't catapult them into stardom. Neither will Schmitt here. Neither did Nugent 2 years ago (kickers can be had lower also). There are certain positions that aren't picked highly and there's a reason for that. People have to weigh what's needed along with the impact that player (and position) will likely have on the team. A FB provides little impact on the overall game compared to other positions that we are in desperate need of. At the 4th rd, we could be grabbing another highly skilled prospect WR. Or a top Center...those would be much more important at this point.
Agreed. They guy blocking ahead of the FB should be the priority. A run-blocking C would be much more valuable to the Bills than a FB. If we can get him in the 5th and he turns out to be Lorenzo Neal-ish then we would be getting a steal.

Mr. Pink
03-20-2008, 08:45 AM

This doesn't surprise me out of you!