Addressing the WR position through the draft alone is crazy.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HHURRICANE
    • Mar 2005

Addressing the WR position through the draft alone is crazy.

Well we had the worst offense in the league but we will get better by simply adding a rookie at the #2 WR spot. Am I the only one that thinks this logic is crazy?

Parrish got man-handled at the line, Reed is slow, so we really need veteran help at #2 and #3 while pushing Parrish and Reed to #4 and #5. But instead we are going to replace Price with a rookie and improve on offense from last?

Hmmm.
  • THATHURMANATOR
    • Jul 2002

Re: Addressing the WR position through the draft alone is crazy.

Originally posted by HHURRICANE
    Well we had the worst offense in the league but we will get better by simply adding a rookie at the #2 WR spot. Am I the only one that thinks this logic is crazy?

Parrish got man-handled at the line, Reed is slow, so we really need veteran help at #2 and #3 while pushing Parrish and Reed to #4 and #5. But instead we are going to replace Price with a rookie and improve on offense from last?

Hmmm.
    If the receiver that is added is a top flight talent I don't think it is crazy at all. Not to mention there wasn't much out there via the Free agency route.

Who is to say a top TE might not also be addressed in round 2 or 3.

TE will have a whole offseason as starter as well.

Comment

• YardRat
      Well, lookie here...
      • Dec 2004

I agree, but it's pretty much too late now. Time to be happy about the defensive upgrades and hope like hell we can pull out another couple of offensive gems from the draft.
      YardRat Wall of Fame
      #56 DARRYL TALLEY
      #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• X-Era
        What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
        • Feb 2005

Hmmm.
        I think its likely we come out of the draft with a new starting #2 WR and a new starting TE. Yes, thats an upgrade.

Why? Well I bet we end up with a WR who can battle over the middle, catch the tough jump balls, and provide a tall threat in the endzone... None of which Reed or Price could do.

At TE, we probably add a player who stretches the field with tough yards, commands multiple tacklers, and provides another threat in the end zone. Royal has been far from a true receiving threat. Im not down on Royal as much as many are, but adding a young, quicker, more fiery TE will add to our offense.

Besides, how much of our lowly offensive ranking had to do with injuries? or flip-flopping on the QB? Both look to be much improved

Comment

• HHURRICANE
          • Mar 2005

We aren't making the playoffs with a rookie WR and TE. When did not making the playoffs become okay on this board???

Comment

• X-Era
            • Feb 2005

We aren't making the playoffs with a rookie WR and TE. When did not making the playoffs become okay on this board???
            Link?

How did NO do with Colston?

Not making the playoffs is not OK IMO. Now that we have set that straight, how do we become a playoff team? I think we have been doing the right things so far.

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
              • Feb 2005

HH...

Devin Thomas, Malcolm Kelly, Limas Sweed, James Hardy, Andre Caldwell all make us better than Peerless Price. And remember... he didn't play most of the year.

Martellus Bennett, Fred Davis, Dustin Keller, Brad Cottam, John Carlson, Jermichael Finley, Kellen Davis, Martin Rucker, Jacob Tamme all make us better than Michael Gaines. And in most cases, Robert Royal.

Leodis McKelvin, Mike Jenkins, Dominique Rodgers-Comartie, Antoine Casing, Aquib Talib, ... all the way down to Charles Godfrey make us better than Jabari Greer and maybe even Terrence McGee.

Yet you choose to look at the non-existant talent pool of FA's to declare doomsday.

Comment

• Confused
                All-Pro Zoner
                • Jun 2007

coughBOLDINcough. If you, draz would WASTE no.11 on Devin Rosenhaus errr I mean Thomas why arent you enthralled with trading no.11 to the cards for Boldin or to cincy for OchoCinco? A vet and a late round Wr is the way to go. Just cuz the free agency talent pool sucked doesnt mean we cant get a great WR to either play along side evans or replace evans if we cant resign him.

Comment

• YardRat
                  Well, lookie here...
                  • Dec 2004

Originally posted by EdwardsEra
                  Besides, how much of our lowly offensive ranking had to do with injuries?
                  I would say very little. The inability on offense came mostly from lack of talent at key skill positions (which we have not addressed), lack of competent leadership (which we won't be able to determine whether that's been fixed or not until we actually see Schonert's influence), and inexperience (which we will still have if we're planning on rookies stepping into the line up right away).

Price's injury was almost a non-factor, Lynch was spared nicely by Jackson, Peters only missed one game and JP's was actually beneficial.
                  YardRat Wall of Fame
                  #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                  #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• ddaryl
                    Everything I post is sexual inuendo
                    • Jan 2005

we were 7-9 last year... You don't think our D upgrades, injury recoveries, and gained experience won't net us 2 - 3 more wins this year.

If we get some production from our draft picks we should be sniffing playoffs.

Comment

• X-Era
                      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by hoofhearted
                      coughBOLDINcough. If you, draz would WASTE no.11 on Devin Rosenhaus errr I mean Thomas why arent you enthralled with trading no.11 to the cards for Boldin or to cincy for OchoCinco? A vet and a late round Wr is the way to go. Just cuz the free agency talent pool sucked doesnt mean we cant get a great WR to either play along side evans or replace evans if we cant resign him.
                      I wont complain at all if we trade for either. We, on the field, would be a better team next year than if we drafted a WR. However, Chad Johnson doesnt think hes a #2 WR, and Boldin wants to be paid like Fitz.

I dont see that we would spend #1 money on a WR who we need to be our #2.

Comment

• Nighthawk
                        Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by ddaryl
                        we were 7-9 last year... You don't think our D upgrades, injury recoveries, and gained experience won't net us 2 - 3 more wins this year.

If we get some production from our draft picks we should be sniffing playoffs.
                        Let's not forget that most of the players we had on IR weren't even good enough to be on other NFL rosters. So, let's not get carried away with how much help we're going to get from guys coming off IR.

Comment

• venis2k1
                          Youboty can hope
                          • Jul 2002

Maybe we can get Roscoe to play on a pair of stilts???

Comment

• OpIv37
                            Acid Douching Asswipe
                            • Sep 2002

Hmmm.
                            I agree but at the same time, who's left to add? What other option do we have at this point? We're pretty much stuck getting the best receiver possible out of the draft and hoping for the best. I don't like it either, but there aren't any other real options at this point.
                            MiKiDo Facebook
                            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• jamze132
                              • Jun 2003

Originally posted by EdwardsEra

I dont see that we would spend #1 money on a WR who we need to be our #2.
                              When you have two very good WRs on the field, you don't really have a #1. You don't need to define who the #1 is. Pay them both according to their production and if they are both getting paid like most #1s in the NFL, then obviously you have two very good recievers which every defense has to gameplan for. If I were a GM, I would gladly pay two receivers that type of money if they were making our offense extrememly potent.

Comment

Working...
                              X