PDA

View Full Version : Addressing the WR position through the draft alone is crazy.

HHURRICANE
03-19-2008, 06:19 PM
Well we had the worst offense in the league but we will get better by simply adding a rookie at the #2 WR spot. Am I the only one that thinks this logic is crazy?

Parrish got man-handled at the line, Reed is slow, so we really need veteran help at #2 and #3 while pushing Parrish and Reed to #4 and #5. But instead we are going to replace Price with a rookie and improve on offense from last?

Hmmm.

THATHURMANATOR
03-19-2008, 06:22 PM
Well we had the worst offense in the league but we will get better by simply adding a rookie at the #2 WR spot. Am I the only one that thinks this logic is crazy?

Parrish got man-handled at the line, Reed is slow, so we really need veteran help at #2 and #3 while pushing Parrish and Reed to #4 and #5. But instead we are going to replace Price with a rookie and improve on offense from last?

Hmmm.
If the receiver that is added is a top flight talent I don't think it is crazy at all. Not to mention there wasn't much out there via the Free agency route.

Who is to say a top TE might not also be addressed in round 2 or 3.

TE will have a whole offseason as starter as well.

YardRat
03-19-2008, 06:25 PM
I agree, but it's pretty much too late now. Time to be happy about the defensive upgrades and hope like hell we can pull out another couple of offensive gems from the draft.

X-Era
03-19-2008, 06:30 PM

Hmmm.

I think its likely we come out of the draft with a new starting #2 WR and a new starting TE. Yes, thats an upgrade.

Why? Well I bet we end up with a WR who can battle over the middle, catch the tough jump balls, and provide a tall threat in the endzone... None of which Reed or Price could do.

At TE, we probably add a player who stretches the field with tough yards, commands multiple tacklers, and provides another threat in the end zone. Royal has been far from a true receiving threat. Im not down on Royal as much as many are, but adding a young, quicker, more fiery TE will add to our offense.

Besides, how much of our lowly offensive ranking had to do with injuries? or flip-flopping on the QB? Both look to be much improved

HHURRICANE
03-19-2008, 06:35 PM
We aren't making the playoffs with a rookie WR and TE. When did not making the playoffs become okay on this board???

X-Era
03-19-2008, 06:47 PM
We aren't making the playoffs with a rookie WR and TE. When did not making the playoffs become okay on this board???

Link?

How did NO do with Colston?

Not making the playoffs is not OK IMO. Now that we have set that straight, how do we become a playoff team? I think we have been doing the right things so far.

Yasgur's Farm
03-19-2008, 07:04 PM
HH...

Devin Thomas, Malcolm Kelly, Limas Sweed, James Hardy, Andre Caldwell all make us better than Peerless Price. And remember... he didn't play most of the year.

Martellus Bennett, Fred Davis, Dustin Keller, Brad Cottam, John Carlson, Jermichael Finley, Kellen Davis, Martin Rucker, Jacob Tamme all make us better than Michael Gaines. And in most cases, Robert Royal.

Leodis McKelvin, Mike Jenkins, Dominique Rodgers-Comartie, Antoine Casing, Aquib Talib, ... all the way down to Charles Godfrey make us better than Jabari Greer and maybe even Terrence McGee.

Yet you choose to look at the non-existant talent pool of FA's to declare doomsday. :rain:

Confused
03-19-2008, 07:30 PM
coughBOLDINcough. If you, draz would WASTE no.11 on Devin Rosenhaus errr I mean Thomas why arent you enthralled with trading no.11 to the cards for Boldin or to cincy for OchoCinco? A vet and a late round Wr is the way to go. Just cuz the free agency talent pool sucked doesnt mean we cant get a great WR to either play along side evans or replace evans if we cant resign him.

YardRat
03-19-2008, 07:44 PM
Besides, how much of our lowly offensive ranking had to do with injuries?

I would say very little. The inability on offense came mostly from lack of talent at key skill positions (which we have not addressed), lack of competent leadership (which we won't be able to determine whether that's been fixed or not until we actually see Schonert's influence), and inexperience (which we will still have if we're planning on rookies stepping into the line up right away).

Price's injury was almost a non-factor, Lynch was spared nicely by Jackson, Peters only missed one game and JP's was actually beneficial.

ddaryl
03-19-2008, 07:54 PM

we were 7-9 last year... You don't think our D upgrades, injury recoveries, and gained experience won't net us 2 - 3 more wins this year.

If we get some production from our draft picks we should be sniffing playoffs.

X-Era
03-19-2008, 08:14 PM
coughBOLDINcough. If you, draz would WASTE no.11 on Devin Rosenhaus errr I mean Thomas why arent you enthralled with trading no.11 to the cards for Boldin or to cincy for OchoCinco? A vet and a late round Wr is the way to go. Just cuz the free agency talent pool sucked doesnt mean we cant get a great WR to either play along side evans or replace evans if we cant resign him.

I wont complain at all if we trade for either. We, on the field, would be a better team next year than if we drafted a WR. However, Chad Johnson doesnt think hes a #2 WR, and Boldin wants to be paid like Fitz.

I dont see that we would spend #1 money on a WR who we need to be our #2.

Nighthawk
03-19-2008, 09:22 PM
we were 7-9 last year... You don't think our D upgrades, injury recoveries, and gained experience won't net us 2 - 3 more wins this year.

If we get some production from our draft picks we should be sniffing playoffs.

Let's not forget that most of the players we had on IR weren't even good enough to be on other NFL rosters. So, let's not get carried away with how much help we're going to get from guys coming off IR.

venis2k1
03-19-2008, 09:40 PM
Maybe we can get Roscoe to play on a pair of stilts???

OpIv37
03-19-2008, 11:35 PM

Hmmm.

I agree but at the same time, who's left to add? What other option do we have at this point? We're pretty much stuck getting the best receiver possible out of the draft and hoping for the best. I don't like it either, but there aren't any other real options at this point.

jamze132
03-20-2008, 03:14 AM
I dont see that we would spend #1 money on a WR who we need to be our #2.
When you have two very good WRs on the field, you don't really have a #1. You don't need to define who the #1 is. Pay them both according to their production and if they are both getting paid like most #1s in the NFL, then obviously you have two very good recievers which every defense has to gameplan for. If I were a GM, I would gladly pay two receivers that type of money if they were making our offense extrememly potent.

Yasgur's Farm
03-20-2008, 05:58 AM
coughBOLDINcough. If you, draz would WASTE no.11 on Devin Rosenhaus errr I mean Thomas why arent you enthralled with trading no.11 to the cards for Boldin or to cincy for OchoCinco? A vet and a late round Wr is the way to go. Just cuz the free agency talent pool sucked doesnt mean we cant get a great WR to either play along side evans or replace evans if we cant resign him.I would not be opposed 1 bit to a deal for Boldin that involved #11. But I don't want Chad Johnson at OBD.

As for the mock... There's too many possibilities for trades. My policy is I drafts 'em as we got 'em. I will obviously enjoy a trade down if it happens.

Confused
03-20-2008, 06:04 AM
It kills me that year to year, we are always millions under cap. How much do you think Indy pays for Harrison and Wayne? or The Giants pay for Toomer and Plax? or in 3 years, what detriot will have to pay to keep Roy'n'Calvin a tandem? Any of these six would be a no1 on teams like the fish, bucs, bills or vikes, I could go on. Wish we would open our wallet a bit wider and get some starpower on this team.

kernowboy
03-20-2008, 06:10 AM
I'd now be inclined to seriously consider trading the No11 for Roy Williams of the Lions. He's at least on the same level as the top WRs this year.

Confused
03-20-2008, 06:17 AM
I'd now be inclined to seriously consider trading the No11 for Roy Williams of the Lions. He's at least on the same level as the top WRs this year.

my dad once said, "Wish in one hand, Crap in the other. See which one fills up first".

ddaryl
03-20-2008, 06:21 AM
Let's not forget that most of the players we had on IR weren't even good enough to be on other NFL rosters. So, let's not get carried away with how much help we're going to get from guys coming off IR.

C'mon... a handful of scrubs yes... but we had a few starters and solid depth go down as well.

the glass is half full, not half empty

X-Era
03-20-2008, 06:39 AM
When you have two very good WRs on the field, you don't really have a #1. You don't need to define who the #1 is. Pay them both according to their production and if they are both getting paid like most #1s in the NFL, then obviously you have two very good recievers which every defense has to gameplan for. If I were a GM, I would gladly pay two receivers that type of money if they were making our offense extrememly potent.

You realize that we are talking about close to 20 million per season locked up in 2 players right (assuming we also resign Evans)?

I dont care, its not my money, and yes we will be fantastic on O.

But, does anyone really think the Bills or really any team outside of the Cowboys or Raiders would do this?

Jan Reimers
03-20-2008, 07:24 AM
I, too, would have liked a Bryant Johnson, Ernest Wilford or D.J. Hackett, at least as a stopgap to allow a young draft pick to develop. They would not have been the answer to our No. 2 WR problem, but they would have provided interim help as well as depth.

But that didn't happen. I don't think we'll be making a high profile trade for Boldin or Ocho Cinco Stupido, either.

So we're simply going to have to draft a couple of WRs who are ready for the NFL - and there have been several in the past who have come in an performed well in their rookie seasons - bite the bullet, and throw them into the fray.

kscdogbillsfan1221
03-20-2008, 08:33 AM
doesn't anybody remember the fact that lee evans caught 9 td passes as a rookie? a rookie wr can be very very helpful!

justasportsfan
03-20-2008, 09:33 AM
at least wys was still way smarter.

Upgrading the D should get the O the ball back more often. Besides, getting rid of Fairchild should make our current(same) roster already better than last year.

patmoran2006
03-20-2008, 11:51 AM
about 8 years ago

Bill Cody
03-20-2008, 12:09 PM
round 2 Andre Caldwell, WR, FL. problem solved

ParanoidAndroid
03-20-2008, 01:02 PM
No way would we go anywhere with any of those FA WR's. Johnson is unproven, Hackett can't stay healthy....who else was there? Porter? Too expensive for that level of inconsistency.
Why even bother with Johnson if he would basically just take playing time away from the rookie receiver who needs to build a relationship with your starting QB ASAP? Bring in the rookies and hopefully they are the real deal. If so, they start from day 1.
A WR has to a) really screw up; b) never develop; c) decline or d) get old in order for their drafting team to let them go without a fight. Good, drafted WR's tend to stay home. FA's come and go.

Luisito23
03-20-2008, 01:09 PM

I don't think so....

Meathead
03-20-2008, 02:00 PM
well you figure you gotta get about a minimum of 700 yds rec out of a wr2 to take significant pressure off the wr1

considering that theres about one to three rookie wrs per year that get that much yardage youre looking at a pretty good longshot that the one you pick will reach that level

so expecting a rook to come in and give you that production is probably a pipe dream

thats exactly why you want a veteran wr2 in that role because they are much more likely to give you consistent production

but like others have said there doesnt appear to be much choice now. the bills either get lucky with some of the cutdowns and snag somebody there, they give up some picks for a trade, or they bite the bullet and go with a rotation of reed/parrish/rookie until the rook is ready to take the job full time - if he gets there this season or ever

most likely its going to be a handicap for the bills offense this season. dont like it but cant do much about it now

The Spaz
03-20-2008, 04:57 PM

Hell ****ing nooooooooooo!:puke:

HHURRICANE
03-21-2008, 11:18 AM
I agree but at the same time, who's left to add? What other option do we have at this point? We're pretty much stuck getting the best receiver possible out of the draft and hoping for the best. I don't like it either, but there aren't any other real options at this point.

The option is that we make a run, via trade, for a guy like Johnson who sells tickets and instantly improves the players around him. Evans and Johnson certainly would open up the entire offense. He's certainly worth our first rounder.

This is typical Bills "running in place". We need a difference maker who makes an impact now!!

We all know that the TD way doesn't work but that doesn't mean we can't go out and get a top guy to help us turn the corner.

HHURRICANE
03-21-2008, 11:30 AM
at least wys was still way smarter.

Upgrading the D should get the O the ball back more often. Besides, getting rid of Fairchild should make our current(same) roster already better than last year.

Since our new OC has never had this job before how do we know that he won't be worse? There is no guaratee of this so that's very presumptuos. I hope your right but too early to be that confident.

Getting the ball into the O's hand and having them do nothing with it is going to result in the same performance as last year. Replacing Price with a first round rookie is not going to get it done.

How big of an impact was Calvin Johnson for Detroit as a rookie? I think he was pretty impressive with 756 yards and you are talking about a guy that was probably one of the most anticipated players coming out of a draft. Kelly is not in the same league.

justasportsfan
03-21-2008, 12:23 PM
Since our new OC has never had this job before how do we know that he won't be worse? There is no guaratee of this so that's very presumptuos. I hope your right but too early to be that confident.

Getting the ball into the O's hand and having them do nothing with it is going to result in the same performance as last year. Replacing Price with a first round rookie is not going to get it done.

How big of an impact was Calvin Johnson for Detroit as a rookie? I think he was pretty impressive with 756 yards and you are talking about a guy that was probably one of the most anticipated players coming out of a draft. Kelly is not in the same league.
Price wasn't arround to do anything. Putting someone in there should better better than having no one. For every Calvin there's also a Colston.

I agree Turk is unproven. Lynch should get better and our OL should get better in their 2nd year together.

I expect Lee to have a better year too. That should make things easier for the rest. I wouldn't put it past a rookie wr to have the same nos. Lee had when he was a rookie with Moulds opposite him. He caught for 843 yards. I'll take that.

I'm willing to bet you that we will improve our ranking next year over what we had offensively without having any additions at this point.

Meathead
03-21-2008, 01:01 PM
843 yds?!? hell id take that from amani toomer in this offense

a rook aint getting 843 yards for us this year

justasportsfan
03-21-2008, 01:05 PM
843 yds?!? hell id take that from amani toomer in this offense

a rook aint getting 843 yards for us this year
Did you say the same thing in his rookie year?

I'm not saying it's gonna happen but it can. It happened to Lee.

I think our O is gonna rely heavily on Lynch and co. If they improve, it will help the passing game imensely.

HHURRICANE
03-21-2008, 02:00 PM
I expect Lee to have a better year too. That should make things easier for the rest. I wouldn't put it past a rookie wr to have the same nos. Lee had when he was a rookie with Moulds opposite him. He caught for 843 yards. I'll take that.

I'm willing to bet you that we will improve our ranking next year over what we had offensively without having any additions at this point.

Let me get this straight. Everyone in the league figured out in 2007 that by shutting down Lee Evans you shut down the entire Bills offense. But in 2008 teams are going to change their game plan?

Your logic is backwards. Lee isn't going to get better until there are other weapons to help take the double and triple teams off of him. Your telling us that all of a sudden he's going to get better and help Reed and Parrish and help a rookie get 843 yards of receptions?

Maybe you should have taken the "are you crazy" edit from your reply to me and added to it your own thread.

jamze132
03-21-2008, 02:58 PM
You realize that we are talking about close to 20 million per season locked up in 2 players right (assuming we also resign Evans)?

I dont care, its not my money, and yes we will be fantastic on O.

But, does anyone really think the Bills or really any team outside of the Cowboys or Raiders would do this?
I am well aware of the the cost in retaining two extremely good WRs. Depending on the makeup of your team, it's fiscally feasable all while maintaining a potent offense each year.